Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:23 AM   #61  
Hot Sauce!

Default New here, but not at L & S

I am new here, Mindi mentioned this board to me and I really like it. I just wanted to say how proud I was of Mel and Mrs. Jim for standing their ground and saying that they weren't satisfied with Camp Pam B. It is a sad, sad time when you can't even express your opinion about a product that you weren't satisfied with without receiving hate mail. I for one, do not enjoy the **** mentality over at L & S and believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, like it or not! I hope that I am welcome here and I see a few familiar faces (Mindi, Laura and some others from L & S). Stay strong Mel, it will blow over!

Laura, which nutritional program of the SPII are you starting with? I am slowly making my way through the book, but it is really interesting!

Thanks for reading!
Jamie
Old 03-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #62  

Hiya Jamie! So glad you're here!

I'm pretty sure I'm insulin-sensitive with healthy adrenals *now* but believe I had burned out adrenals previously. I never got the ab fat so I don't think insulin was a concern.

That book has really made me think a lot and maybe I'm leaping to conclusions but I'm now convinced that my "failure" on BFL was really a healing phase. And think of how many, esp older women, have rather dismal results when they first start BFL or BRX; it makes sense to me.

The carb level is confusing for me because she is vague about adding extra carbs of one exercises a lot. But then maybe that's on purpose; as I've said before, I like that the book leaves it up to an individual to find what works for them, rather than dictating homogenous rules.

So for now I'm keeping my carbs around 100 as I'm also experimenting with my lifting and am not in the gym as much as I was previously. But geez, I really need to stay away from the almond butter!

What are you doing re: SP2?

Laura
Old 03-06-2003, 09:07 AM   #63  
Hot Sauce!

Default SPII

Right now I am reading through SPII. I read through SPI in about 3 days and loved the concept of the book. She actually stresses balance and that was so exciting to me. I am sick of reading one book after another that tells me to cut fat, cut carbs....blah, blah blah! This book just spoke to me and I know that after all of my teen years (sugar-aholic and still struggling with it, underweight) and the stresses of certain years of my life have most likely damaged my metabloism, not to mention my undereating/binging with BFL for like 6 months. I know I am in for some healing, but I am only on page 50 of SPII so I have a week or two to go before I read through it and start (I am coming up on finals next week so I am studying in most of my free time), but I am excited about it.
Did you take the tests that she has available, or are you guessing at what you are for SPII? I know I cannot afford the tests unless my insurance covered them so I will be guessing. Maybe one day when my tuition is paid off and such I can afford such things..... Until than I am SOL!
Jamie
Old 03-06-2003, 09:12 AM   #64  

I'm guessing, because I don't really have enough of the symptoms of either burned out adrenals or insulin resistance to qualify. Not now, anyway.

There'a also a yahoo group for SP and the most recent post points out that those with burned out adrenals should not be taking in excessive (say BRX perhaps) levels of protein because it just makes things worse.

"I've been really paying attention to my protein portion sizes since I
think I have burned-out adrenals. In the past I overate proteins
since I believed I could and that just contributes to more adrenal
burn-out."

[email protected]

Laura
Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #65  
Hot Sauce!

Default Almond butter.....ummmmmmmm :s:

Laura,
My plans are to go through the healing phases while still weight training and keeping my carbs at a level where I can still build muscle mass but lose fat. Not sure how this will work out though. The last thing I want to do is lose the muscle that I have worked so hard to get. Do you feel weak on 100g of carbs a day and are these all carbs you are counting or just yellow type carbs?
It is going to be an adjustment, but a learning experience I think. Once I heal my metabolism up I may than jump into Body Rx again and see how it goes, or if I like where things are heading following SPII I will stay there.
I see that you have been sugar free for a few weeks. You rock! Oh my gosh, I know I can give it up, it is going to be hard. One of my last treats will be those wonderful things you are sending me, and than I must stop the sugar from taking me over!
Jamie (recovering sugar-aholic)
Old 03-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #66  

Laura and Jamie, your discussion is totally fascinating to me. i don't have access to those books here. i know, we're kind of ******ed in that sense.

what do you mean by sugar free? also fruits, or only refined sugars? i know that refined sugar is a horrible, horrible trigger for me and i've been able to break-free from it. i think i'm doing okay with the fruit sugars though. at least i don't have the horrible sweet cravings i used to live on!!

is there a web site of this info that i could check out? i'd really like more info.

it's soooo good to have you here Jamie !!! hope to get to know you better real soon.

take care,

adriana
Old 03-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #67  

Jamie- I think occasional treats, as long as you're healthy, are fine on SP.

Supposedly I should be able to kick coffee without bad withdrawals!

Adriana- I only mean refined sugar; I don't get any negative effects from fruit and the book treats fruit completely differently than refined sugar. I did give up sugar completely for months last winter but went back to it with BFL free days. I have found that for me, not having it means I don't want it.

There is a website for SP:

http://www.drhormone.com/

Laura
Old 03-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #68  
Peace with body and soul

Hi Jamie, glad you're here!

I'm pretty sure I'm Insulin sens. w/burned out adrenals, I have so many of the symptoms. Now I have to figure out how exactly to switch over to her plan from BRX and figure out how much protein I can actually eat. She says the average is 2-3oz a meal, but you can eat more if you're bigger, but she doesn't say what constitutes 'bigger,' or if you are 'bigger' how much you should increase the portions?

I have feeling that my work w/BRX has been somewhat 'healing' for me and its why I haven't lost the fat I've wanted yet, because I'm still messed up, adrenal-wise. I can't tell you how many years I've lived under high stress, some of my own making I think too.

Adriana, you can read about this at: http://www.drhormone.com/
Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 AM   #69  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls

Geezus you girls.... after it took me an hour last night to read ALL the L&S posts... I couldn’t reply, it was too late... and now here this morning I’ve been reading for an hour again, and want to put my $0.20 in.... and I can’t say everything I’d like because I don’t have time... but here goes...

Karen and Mel what a can of worms you guys opened up at L&S You impress me so much It was something that had to be expressed and discussed...

I love BFL, it seems to be working for me... Have I lost weight? NO!
Have I lost inches this time around? NO! Do I feel good? YES, YES, YES!!! Isn’t that what counts? YES. At 46, I’m not a size 8 or 10; I’m a size 12-14. Do I like that? NO, I still wish I were smaller. My friend’s mother said once to her: “She’s not small she’s NOT fat, but my goodness she looks strong and healthy!” and my gawd what more could I ask for.

Boot Camp, sounds good to me....Being the so-so, fairly good, decent, French Cathaholic here, Lent has started and I was thinking of being stricter with my FD’s or more like eliminating them all together till Easter...or we could all graduate on May 23rd from OUR own “customized” Boot Camp, and it won’t cost squat...

I love this Forum, because everyone follows their special BFL and what is working for them personally, how personalized or "customized" can you get... As Meg said so well:

Quote:
......What I like about this BFL/BB forum is that so many of you are on different plans and no one is criticizing anyone for the plan they are on or preaching that their plan is The One Way. It is more of a “this is what works for me”/sharing information kind of thing and, you know, in the end we are all a laboratory of one —ourselves. Adriana loves cardio, too much cardio is bad for Mel — no conflict .........
My thoughts exactly...
BTW welcome.... And what a wonderful story, I never realized...

Meg – I’ll be at your place 6:30 Sat night, I’ll help you set things up...K?

Karen and Meg ~~ I want to ask a question about your surgeries, but I don’t want to insult anyone but I really want to know... so here goes: After getting rid of that excess skin did you loose some scale weight and how much... Enquiry minds wanna know...(pretty please) ... Thank you... Oh and another “?” while I’m at it... Because of the excess skin did your BF% change, because I would imagine that your skin would be quite thick, I don’t know maybe it’s a stupid question... Because Meg you mention that you are 14% now after the surgery, was it higher or lower before?... again I’m curious, if these questions are toooo personal, just say so and I will totally understand...

Those before and after pics... If they can take wrinkles out of the close up faces of older models, and those gals are only in their late 20’s. they can, and I really do believe they do, balloon the girls on those before pics, and shave some off the after pics... and add some mucles definition ..

Mel ! Hate mail! Some people! I’m laughing here, but it’s seriously not funny... They must be bored or something. People don’t know the meaning of discussion!?! Don’t shed any tears over it girl... NOT worth it....

More newbies... .Hi Jamie...

I hope this post makes sense! I had so much catching up to do....

Later...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:02 AM   #70  
Hot Sauce!

Hi adriana,
thanks for the warm welcome. I found the first book at the library and checked it out. I read through it so fast and it just seemed to make sense to me! As for the sugar, I am talking about refined sugar. Fruits are fine and I love to have some when I am craving sweets.

Laura, I think once I can beat my sugar addiction I may one day be able to go back and have some, not sure though. Have you found that you are eating less this way than you were with Body Rx (I know you said you were averaging 2,200 calories a day) or are you eating more?

Mindi, 2-3oz of protein per meal isn't a whole lot if you ask me. Maybe it was cycle 3 of body rx, but I can pack away alot more protein that that per meal. I can't imagine eating that amount with limited carbs and not being hungry shortly after, but I figure maybe that is what the fat is for. She says that the body can only handle so much protein and fat before it will get sick, maybe I need to read more into the second book to clear some confusion up for me. I also agree with you about healing up during body rx. This could be why fat loss has been slower for you because you are healin up. I experienced the same thing!

Jamie
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #71  

Hi Jamie! WELCOME!

I am off to my morning walk. As Karen says, this is about self-promises and I promised myself to walk every morning.

Since having more free time and getting into an exercise routine, I am staying up much later! When my son was here, I was in bed by 9:30 or 10 every night. Last night I was clipping routines from the ton of fitness magazines that came in the past few months (that I never had a chance to read) and I looked up and it was 11:45!!! Such stamina and I'm not even in bootcamp yet!
I'm taking bathing suit before pix and more measurements today. Aiyiyi!!!

I'm so excited about bootcamp. Yeah us!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #72  
Uber-Moderator!!

HEY YOU GUYS I JUST HAD THE COOLEST IDEA!! Let me know what you think...

For our goals for Boot Camp, why don't we list our personal goals in the "Journal" section of the site (every member of 3FC can use the Journal feature - granted I don't use it much but this is a perfect use for it IMO). That way we don't have to go through a mess of threads to find out what everyone's specific goals are - you can just click on the "journal" button under that person's screen name and see them.

Whaddya think? Hopefully I'm not confusing y'all...
Old 03-06-2003, 12:01 PM   #73  

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #74  
Meg

Done!

Meg
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #75  
Ilene the Bean

Okee Dokee !!
Closed Thread