Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:13 PM   #46  

My cats like Arm and Hammer Clumping litter and I have the Kitty Maid (autosweeping litter box) and all is good.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:21 PM   #47  
Meg

Since we're all so cozy -- how 'bout dinner at my house -- say, Saturday at 7? I make a mean grilled tuna!

Seriously, about weight maintenance and the comp diet thing -- as I was losing weight, one book I read was Thin For Life by Ann Fletcher. She discusses the strategies that successful losers use to maintain their weight loss. One is to give themselves a weight range -- say, five pounds -- and if they top that, they immediately fall back into weight loss mode to deal with the extra pounds before they become a problem. So my goal since I reached my current weight has been to maintain it within a five pound range, which I have done for almost a year.

If you are on a competition diet, obviously you can't use this strategy because your weight yo-yo’s up and down significantly (I’ve heard up to 60 pounds!!! for a woman!!!) To me (and this is just my personal opinion), that kind of weight fluctuation is an eating disorder. I am certain that many of us have experienced eating disorders of various sorts in the past and want to run screaming from anything that even remotely would trigger those kind of destructive behaviors. And I fear that there would come the day that I found myself 25 or more pounds above my goal, powdered sugar clinging to my lips, and just say “to **** with it” and end up right back at 257+ pounds.

Much of Ann Fletchers’ book is based on information collected through the National Weight Loss Registry, a database of people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year. The researchers who run the Registry have compiled the information and published a number of articles based on their findings. http://www.lifespan.org/services/bmed/wt_loss/nwcr/ One of my goals is to register with the Registry in May, my one year anniversary, and join the study.

Susan — how exactly did you set up the Bootcamp? How would you like to do it now? I’m up for anything!

Meg

PS -- my vote is for Scoop Away multi-cat.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #48  
Uber-Moderator!!

Now if only I can teach my kitties to use the toilet - and FLUSH

Meg - I have the Thin for Life book too! Haven't read it in awhile, it is a good book. I actually got the paperwork to join the Nat'l Weight Control Registry but never did send it in (this was pre-internet). Now I might have to get off my duff and register!

I've seen the Scoop Away but never tried it. The one I hated the MOST and that Sparky could not stand was the type that looks like little white pearls. Mr. Sparky is a DIGGER and loves the sandy clumping litter to dig in. Sometimes he just goes in there to dig for awhile (without doing his business).

Hey why don't we start up a separate Boot Camp thread next week so those of us who can participate can 'check in' with their goals, etc? How many of you are up for that?

PS - BTW I revised one of my earlier posts from today - just for clarification's sake since we're all being so honest here!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #49  
Mel

Default Ugh!

Why did I ever say ANYTHING! I'm getting hate mail, I'm getting abused on the Camp PB board (wonder if they know I have access?). Pam emailed me and I really have to think up something to say to her. The concensus on the CPB board is that they will get a slew of new members because of all the publicity, and I'm just jealous and bitter because I "failed". Geez, I didn't fail, I lost 4% body fat and that was starting at 20%. I just feel ripped off! I've spent half the day in tears. I'm so glad this board exists! And I hope all of you infrequent posters and recent delurkers stick around!

Meg: Glad to Meet you! I've read some of your posts on the success forum and Karen has mentioned you several times to me. Thanks for joining us. Certainly doesn't matter whether or not you are doing an officially titled program. Mine is called Camp Mel, which beleive it or not, is still pretty much Camp PB Grilled tuna's my favorite, so I'll be there! Just the pesky whole state of PA in between us. I've seen a lot of the turnpike in the last few years since my dd goes to Ohio State, and now realize why one friend descibes PA as 2 cities separated by Appalachia (sorry moxie).

Moxie: I'm mostly through the ISSA materials, but did everything with pencil and paper, and now have to type it all into word documents, and redo the worksheets on-line. Then I'll take the on-line test. I did sign up for a seminar in Philadelphia in April- I was hoping I'd have tested by then and told them I wouldn't be testing there. At this point, I'm not so sure I'll get finished that fast. The head trainer at my gym couldn't wait that long to hire a few more trainers, so my "maybe" job has evaporated for now. I guess that's why I'm just kind of poking along at it. But I will finish, there's always new opportunities.

Susan: I sure don't feel like a role model. But thanks.

Karen: Why a separate thread for "Boot Camp"? Last time I think we just kept it on the main thread. After all, we're all doing something! It's not like a diet board where a few people exercise so they have a thread just to post exercise done.

Shelby: She is definitely using the Trainer's Edge software, she doesn't even take their logo off the menus. That's my biggest beef- people think she's slaving over custom menus and spending days and days dreaming up customized recipes. It takes about 15 minutes for me to run off my menus and tweak them to my liking. Hardly spending an hour a day per client, as someone said.

Had an incredible quad and chest workout today. Went really high volume, lower weights on quads cause I left my knee wraps in my other gym bag My quads and hams are getting so big I think I'm going to start volume training my legs instead of going heavier and heavier. Or alternate it every few weeks.

bye all, gotta start typing essays and respond to some of these emails. Think I'll just ignore most of them!

mel
Old 03-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #50  
JEC
Aussie and proud

oh dear........

Mel: I SO TOTALLY agree with everything you have said and my heart goes out to you. For the rest of the people reading this I too 'failed' on CPB and I totally support Mel's comments.

I love Pam to death - she is a wonderful person but like anything in this world ONE PROGRAM doesn't WORK for EVERYONE.....

Nuff said...

Speaking of trainer's edge - Karen?????? What's going on mate - I know that you are busy but have you got any time to sort it out soon?

My life is still ****....... But all around!

JC
Old 03-05-2003, 08:54 PM   #51  
Peace with body and soul

Talking

Mel, I'm really sorry you spent the day in tears...its not worth it! You know what really happened during your time on CPB, the sheep do not!

Don't give em any power!

Welcome Meg! What kind of law did you practice? I ask cause I'm an overworked, underpaid paralegal.

Mrs. J, would this bootcamp deal mean cardio??? I'm a Brxer and you know how we feel about the "C" word.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #52  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey you guys! Just popped Jim's din-din in the oven (he's getting Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight, lucky guy...'twas on sale at Draeger's today).

Now to me, the boot camp (and I won't do the separate thread unless y'all want it) is set your OWN goals for 30 days and then stick to them, in other words, "honor your OWN promises". If ya wanna include cardio, then fine, if not, then fine. If you want to include a Free Day/meal, go for it, if not, we won't kill ya. Just choose what you wanna do and promise yourself you'll do it!

Mel! Brighten up chick! You are so brave, and it needed to be said. Unfortunately (like you told Steve) you can't come out and just say I FEEL RIPPED OFF!!! which is the issue we've been dancing around all this time at L&S. But you can say it here, ya know. That's why I edited my earlier post to say that the word "customized" is used VERY loosely IMO. Unfortunately we didn't find that out until we shelled out some righteous bucks...and ya know I also moderate the Buyer Beware forum here so I feel strongly about people getting ripped off - I'm not saying she's doing it with malice or intentionally...because I do admire what she's done and the inspiration she has given to so many folks...but...aackk...

All those hate mail folks - SCREW THEM. Pure and simple. Block 'em from your email, then take your email addy off L&S. Y'all know that if you want to talk to me personally (or any of us here) Suzanne has the absolutely wonderful Private Message function on top of the forum. Make use of it! (oh and before JC says anything to remind me...make sure you clean out your old PMs regularly as they won't 'send' after it hits 100 )

JC! I haven't forgotten ya - just been bogged down. Trying to figure out how to get those syrups to you - I need to find a box that fits the two remaining bottles and wrap them in bubble wrap and plastic to reassure our shippers that if they break, they won't damage other packages...that stuff gets quite messy ya know I can send the other stuff to ya toot suite and we can take care of the syrups later - still looking for boxes (they're weird sized).

Oof! Back to making dinner (well, there really isn't much involved - just tossing it in the oven for Jim) and cleaning my icky dirty blinds!!! Eww -- it takes nice new windows to see how yukky my blinds are!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:29 PM   #53  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Karen: ok lets leave the syrups for the moment and get the rest of the stuff over first. Let me know how much postage it is so I can pay you paypal style!

Mel: by the way I just went and read the CPB board and I think the jealous and failure comment was directed to QZ's thread more than you honey. I wouldn't sweat it. If you want any help (and a cool head) with that email to Pam then let me know I may have some constructive suggestions for ya. Chin up chickie!

JC

PS Delete the hate mail - don't waste your time reading it.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:30 PM   #54  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Oh and One more thing...

I am looking forward to hearing about The Great Pennsylvania 3FC Bodybuilders Gathering...coming soon I hope!

Mel! I have been DYING to get you and Meg together!!! Along with the rest of y'all up in that state which I must admit I have yet to have the pleasure of visiting personally (tho' Jim drove through it when we were in Niagara in 2001 - he said it was GORGEOUS and green...loved the roads...unfortunately I was working at the time so couldn't join him!).

NOW YOU ALL GET TOGETHER OR I WILL BE VERY VERY ANGRY just like Marvin the Martian from the Looney Toons!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:37 PM   #55  

Hey Mel--

The online/written exam does take a LONG time. I felt like I poked along through it too but I ended up doing really well on it. My friend took the exam in Atlanta but I don't think she's heard yet whether or not she has passed (although I'm sure she did). I just can't say enough about the seminar--it was really, really awesome. I expected to be wanting to daydream through it--not at all--Dr. Jack had me almost in tears and absolutely riveted to my chair throughout the entire weekend. It was very cool Just take your time, there will be clients when you're ready.

I'm sorry that you are getting hate mail, that's really a horrible thing. I think that many, many people who do BFL put Pam on a pedestal (I see it at other boards besides L&S) and while she absolutely has the power to influence and promote change in people's lives, she is just HUMAN, just like anyone else out there. I honestly worry about the woman who had posted she has been feeling sick for three weeks and Pam recommended that she keep pushing on through. As a trainer, I can't imagine in a million years recommending that a client do that! It absolutely boggles my mind. What about long-term health and weight stability? What about being able to get through the day without having to take naps?

No, Mel, you did absolutely what was needed. Don't doubt yourself!

I know that the PA outside of Pittsburgh and Philly isn't the most exciting place in the world, especially if you're sticking to the turnpike. The area I live in isn't THAT bad! Well, this winter wasn't the greatest. As far as I can see, I'm here temporarily, I'm going to grad school starting this summer and then hopefully I'm off to a warmer part of the country!

Night!
Maggie
Old 03-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #56  

Aww..Mel, I'm sorry you had a lousy day. Ignore the hate mail and just delete it without reading. Responding to it will just suck you in further. Who needs that crap? If you don't mind me asking and without posting the contents, did Pam send you a nasty email? And if you don't want to answer, it's okay. Anyway, I hope tomorrow will be better for you. And I don't blame you for feeling ripped off as I would too, so you're not alone and are justified for feeling that way. BTW, what is ISSA?

Can't help y'all on the cat situation!

Karen--I hear ya on the blinds-I hate those things and they are impossible to clean without taking them down and rinsing them off with a pressure washer. They suck.

Last edited by shelbyw; 03-05-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #57  

MEL!!! Success is a foundation built from bricks thrown by others.

I hold onto that saying as someone who came from a naysayer, you'll never amount to anything, family. And they can eat my dust when I collect my law degree in May.

Don't sweat what they are saying. I don't know why you need to take such heat for honest comments. I also don't know why what you said started up such a shitstorm. It's ridiculous!

We're here for you!!!!

As for the bootcamp: regular thread or separate bootcamp is good for me. I will title my posts 3FC Bootcamp Day ........... if we don't separate it as another thread.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:50 PM   #58  
Mel

Default Thanks

Thank you all ! I have deleted my inbox. Pam sent me a very polite email saying she was unaware that I was dissatisfied w/ her program and would appreciate feedback so that she could improve it. I waffled all day about what to say, and finally ended up telling her the truth (without using the words "ripped-off"). I also emailed Zilla because I just felt I owed him an explanation. I hope this is all over, cause I'm sick of it.

Shelby: ISSA stands for "International Sport Science Association". They are a certifying organization for Personal Trainers and Fitness Professionals. I've been working at getting certified. Too slowly, but working at it.

mel
Old 03-06-2003, 03:40 AM   #59  

Smile holy cow !!!

if i would have had ANY idea this was going on here yesterday i would have stopped by !!

i REALLY am glad to be here with all you smart, rational women. i had a gut feeling that things weren't as rosey with CPB as they are presented over at L&S, and i have really good instincts. i even emailed Pam to get a more detailed idea of the program and her answer was pretty much what was on the site..... i wasn't too happy with that!! it was then that i decided that the whole program is not for me because i just didn't "feel" good with the whole thing.

anyway............... i'm completely up to some kind of Boot Camp/Challenge/whatever here. as a matter of fact it will fit in perfectly with the new program that i've designed for myself (and yes, i DO call it Camp Adriana , even though it's a program i found on Muscle & Fitness!! ) i'm up to some of my cardio shenanigans again , however i'm a little pressed for time this month so it's not as much as i would otherwise do. but never fear, spinning is back at 2-3 times per week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a GREAT chest & back workout today. this was suppose to include some abs work, but since i hit a lot of 11's with the weights, i got a bit queezy towards the end and didn't want to throw up on anyone. i took 5 minutes to re-cooperate then i did some intervals on the elliptical.

oh, i must tell you that i had taken this past week off and that's probably why i felt a bit *pushed* towards the end of the weights session.

one thing that i was really really happy about this past week is that i ate super clean the whole time. i didn't force myself to, but it was so natural and matter-of-fact. it feels sooooo good to be in control of the nutrition and really enjoy the food too i can see myself doing this for many years to come, and that's what i call my own personal success !!!!

on a side note: i just wanted to say that all of you really inspire me on a daily basis. you all have such busy, full lives and you handle it with great grace. i'm so lucky to have found you !! thank you for everything that you give me on a daily basis.

now it's time to eat.......... one hour after my workout and i still haven't eaten -- -- what i won't do to be here on this board

take care everyone. i'll see you all later.

adriana

Last edited by adriana; 03-06-2003 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:28 AM   #60  

Mel- so sorry you got some nasty email. I experienced the same a month or two ago when I posted that "award-winning" transformation in which the woman had lost as much muscle as fat and asked if this is what we considered a "good transformation". I was accused of all sorts of stuff, asked where *my* pics were, etc.

It's nice that Pam has loyal fans, but it's horrible that any questioning of her program is seen as a personal insult. It would be nice if she would post something to that effect on the CPB board. And I have no doubt this thread will just bring in a whole new slew of members for her, so Mel, I don't know why you would worry about "hurting her business".

Staying away from sugar the last couple of weeks and doing pretty well. I've been reading the Schwarzbein books and finding a lot of good information. Off from the gym today; we're supposed to get more ice.

Hope everyone has a great day

Laura
Closed Thread