Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #91 - week of 23 Feb 03

Okay everyone...I know I usually start this on Monday but wanted to get a jump on the week because I know I'm up to my eyeballs at work!!

I know I've been pretty scarce around these parts...there have been a plethora of reasons but the main one is pretty major...I have been thinking of the proper way to say this to you all but I'm just going to come right out and say it.

On Monday, 10 February, after thinking about it for months, I had liposuction of my thighs, hips and flanks...I wanted to have a tummy tuck as well but finances kept me from having both procedures.

Most of you know my history (for those who don't, just check my website and read my past posts here at 3FC) and know that this has been a lifelong journey for me. Bottom line is that even when I was on a comp diet last year (Camp Pam B) I still had pockets of fat on my thighs and hips. Y'all probably know this but fat cells - once they develop - are there to stay unless you have 'em sucked out. Last year when I went to a personal trainer and she tried to take my bodyfat percentage, she had a tough time getting a read on me - because (according to her) I had too much loose skin on my tummy (the 'pooch'). The plastic surgeon I went to for consult (as I stated at L&S) and who did the actual surgery, I trust implicitly - she is a Board-certified, Harvard and Stanford-trained surgeon with over 15 years of experience in plastic surgery. She also did my mother's breast reconstruction as well as my sister's breast lift five years ago - and my sister has NO visible scars now and is still quite happy with her results.

I really started thinking about this during the thread that started last summer here called "Questions about extra skin" (you can find it at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ght=Loose+Skin ).

Anyway, my doctor told me that those pockets of fat on my thighs - saddlebags and just over the knees, etc - might get smaller with diet and exercise but would never go away. I've also done quite a lot of research on my own of course - since I had never had "real" surgery before I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing and understood everything that I was getting into.

So for now, I'm not training - just resting and eating as healthy as I can. As soon as my doctor gives me the OK, I'm going to start my program again - I'm considering just doing a 12-week by the book BFL cycle just to get back in the swing of things. Surprisingly, I have felt very little pain - nothing that a Vicodin couldn't handle The worst thing about this has been having to sleep on my back (I'm a side and tummy sleeper!) and sitting on the toilet. Oh, and no horseback riding! But most of the horses are in Scottsdale for the big Arabian Horse Show anyway (and doing quite well according to the results). Oh, and I do miss the gym but my legs are still pretty bruised but I can see them getting better looking each day

I do want to say this: Plastic surgery is not a way to lose weight - and I would recommend that you get to your goal weight (or as close as you possibly can) and STAY at that weight for awhile before you consider having any kind of plastic surgery. Also, something I've learned over the past year - not everyone is going to have results like Pam B's. In fact, my surgeon says that she is VERY much the exception to the rule - most people who have lost a great deal of fat - especially if they've been battling fat most of their lives like I have - are going to have loose skin and deposits of fat cells.

On the Success forum, Meg (who had a lower body lift - which my surgeon said was not necessary in my case) wrote:
Quote:
I saw a plastic surgeon last September, who told me that what I thought was stubborn celluite was really just "an enormous amount" of skin that would not go away on its own, regardless of how long I waited. The consensus seems to be that the degree to which skin will tighten up after massive weight loss (that's what they call us) depends on 1. your age, 2. your genes 3. how much you have lost, and 4. how long you were overweight (recent obesity vs. lifelong). It is an individual thing and time will tell for you.
(oh the above thread is at: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=24374 )

Whew! I just wrote a book didn't I?

I'll check in a bit later - need to catch up on some posts...and have something to eat...feed the kitties...
Old 02-23-2003, 11:16 PM   #2  
JEC
Aussie and proud

wow........ I knew something was going on - you just weren't being yourself. I am glad that you feel confident enough to post this to us - it displays a high level of trust.

So where's the photo missy? I know, I know, I will have to wait for it......

BIG BIG BIG BIG Hug's to you Karen and I hope that you heal up fast so you can get into that bikini!

JC
Old 02-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi!

Mrs. Jim -- I haven't posted in a while, but your last post brought me out of lurkdom. Hope you're recovering well, and am anxious to see pictures when you're ready. Like you, I have thigh fat deposits that probably won't go away -- but unlike you, I haven't been able to lean down enough to lose the rest of the fat.

Welcome to all the new people here, and hi to all the veterans. It's now been a year and a half since my husband and I started BFL, and at least I've kept up with the weightlifting. I'm still down 32 lbs. of fat and up 22 lbs. of lean mass, and have also not gained back any of the 25 pounds I lost on my own before starting BFL. Bodyfat has gone from over 50% to 42.5% at BFL start to under 25% for the past 8 months.

I had hoped to be leaner by now. Bad free day choices have always been my downfall, and in recent months I got a little burned out and took "extra free days." I'm now on Body Rx -- no free days, and a little more flexibility in some ways. Soon, hopefully, I'll see some new territory rather than the same old fat lost and gained. And I do feel strong and fit!

Hope you are all doing great!

Carrie
Old 02-24-2003, 04:25 AM   #4  

MrsJim: Thank you for your post and your honesty. You are an amazing person and I am happy for you! Rest up!

Also, if you don't mind sending me the name of your surgeon, I know someone in the SF Bay area who is looking for someone highly recommended. If you dont' want to post the name of the board, please send me a msg. Thanks so much!

As for me, as some of you remember, I was in the middle of a GREAT bootcamp last fall and doing FABULOUSLY when I received a call that my son was assaulted in Boston. He was on life support and I flew there and was able to bring him back to California with me about 10 days later. Over the past several months he made a remarkable recovery but we spent most of my days off (from law school) going to dr's appts and therapists and testing (he had a seizure and is on Dilantin and kept going high on his Dilantin levels so we were having to check them once a week). In between I was trying to study law and it has been a very very stressful and crazy time for me.

He returned to Boston tonight. In fact, I just got back from San Francisco International Airport (he had a redeye flight). I am very sad about it but it was time for him to go back. Both of us have worked very hard and he has had an AMAZING recovery.

Anyway, my office here at home was his bedroom and now it will be mine again and I'll have access to my computer 24/7 and I will return to the gym this week. I have been away since his assault on October 4th. I am looking forward to it.

I hope the new routine will help me with how much I will miss him.

Anyway, good to see everyone again.

Susan

Last edited by susanje; 02-24-2003 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:21 AM   #5  

Karen-

Yay for you! I also think it's wonderful you feel like you can post about this here.

And I can definitely relate; 15 years ago I had breast implants.

I had had my first 2 kids and then gotten back down to 113 or so, but realized that no matter how many aerobic classes I went to (remember, this was the 80's! my boobs were never going to improve from the 32 AAs they had become. I had very little discomfort, went right back to the gym, and have never ever regretted my decision. I am still a 34-36 B/C, and breastfed 2 more children successfully after my surgery. Also never have a problem working chest.

Hi to JC!

Carrie- I did BodyRX the last 6 months of last year and still follow a lot of the ideas; I did much better on it than I did on BFL.

Nice to see you Susan!

Hope everyone has a great day; we have an ice delay so I may blow off the gym; I still have a cold and lots to do around the house.

Laura
Old 02-24-2003, 07:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Susanje, welcome back, and bless you for being there so completely when your son needed you - hopefully he can pick up his life where he left off before the attack.

Mrs.Jim, speedy recovery - I have quite the saggy skin gut from having my twins - 55 pound pregnancy, including almost 15 pounds of kids - and carried almost exclusively in front, so I've always had it in the back of my mind that when the time and money were right, I'd jump at the surgery. I'm interested in hearing from you how your recovery is going.

Well, DH and I are starting Week 5 today - had a very relaxing free day, finished up all the last bits around painting our son's room and had him all moved back in by bedtime.

Looking forward to clean eating and hard workouts this week - could actually feel the effects of free day eating (headache, bloated, etc.) so may have to tone it down in future...read alot on this forum about junk food hangovers, now I know EXACTLY what you all mean!

So this week will be all about putting one foot in front of the other, adding the glutamine, subtracting the protein bars (everyone says they're garbage), back to the gym, back to journalling in my success journal. I feel very strong - can't believe it's been four weeks already, I'm usually WAY GONE by this point in my past 'diets'. Never could handle being hungry...

I'm changing up my workouts today (on a 4 week cycle) so I'm expecting some soreness - hopefully the glutamine will help with that.

BethO
Old 02-24-2003, 07:51 AM   #7  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Good morning,

Wow Karen! Congratulations on your well thought out surgery and best wishes to you as you recover and discover the new you. I can't wait to hear from you as you heal.

Susan, welcome back. Sounds as if your previsualization for keeping busy as you adjust to having your son go back to his own world are right on the mark.

Carrie, bad free day choices are slowing me down too. I so want to get beyond them.

Beth your C1 sounds great. I like your attitude, always striving to get it right and accepting the reality about things that aren't the greatest to be successful on BFL. You are having a great challenge and will be so pleased at the end of it.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:06 AM   #8  
Mel

Default Hello old friends!

and new ones!
Karen- Glad to see you back here. You know I am think of following in your footsteps....the gut will never go. Just not yet brave enough or enough$$ to do it. I also have to shake off the 7 lbs or so of fat that has re-attached itself since last November. Back to the grindstone.

Susanje- Wow! I was just thinking about you on the weekend, wondering how you and your son were doing. That's wonderful he's made such an amazing recovery and you can get back to your normally hectic life. Any firmer plans for post-graduation?

Hi Carrie- long time no see.

Hi Laura- we had an ice delay too, but it never dawned on me. So Andrew went and stood at the bus stop for 10 minutes before a neighbor came out and told him. Again, I lose the mom of the year award. Luckily I already did cardio and was planning to hit the gym after work, so it's covered. Last week was a bit of a wipe out due to school being closed half the week and a pulled muscle.

Nice to see you all,

mel
Old 02-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Talking BE WARNED THIS IS A VERY LONG POST....

KAREN CONGRATUALTIONS!!! I don’t know you well, and only from reading about you on here, but I just KNEW, there was something because you just weren’t yourself!! I cannot express how happy I am for you; honestly if I would have had your phone number I would have picked up the phone and called to congratulate you personally. It just sounds like you have researched the heck out of it and you did your best and loosing it on your own, but sometimes you just get fed up of beating yourself up on the brick wall.... I’m just so happy for you... and like the rest I wanna see photos.... Rest up for that photo shoot!!

Mel – nice to see that your party came off so well, it’s difficult to have big get togethers like that but so rewarding and fun...

Valerie: I work out on an empty stomach if I go to the gym at 5am, but if I go later during the day like at 11am on Sundays I eat at 9 o’clock; it’s just too long a time to go without food... Experiment and find out what works best for you. After all I the majority of us don’t want to compete in a contest, and I think if you did, it would be different in that case...

Mamawren: Hang in there you will be seeing a difference soon; I know, I know, not soon enough... I agree, but if there is one thing about this program it does teach us patience!!

BethO – I take my glutamine after my workout and depending on the workouts, if I feel I’ll be super sore I take it a few times during the day, if not for sure before bed. On free day where I don’t go to the gym I usually forget...... I also take glucosamine for joints and I am finding a difference with my knees in that department...

JEC – Nice to see you girl! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods...

Adriana – Your posts are always so uplifting. And thank you for asking my family is very well.... I hear you on the posting and disappearing act .... arghhhhh... to say the least I get very when they disappear into cyber space... So now I’ve learned my lesson and refuse to work and post for nothing. I now type my post on a document and then copy and paste it to the reply... and if I happened to loose it, well at least I still have it...

Hello Bobbie -- Welcome to our BFL world... and another Canuck BFLer is even better I have to tell you that your WW mind set will be difficult to reverse. I too am a WW lifetime member. When I used to go in and not lose weight I would be so discouraged... They kept telling me to stop the weight training...NOT!!!!! That ain’t gonna happen lady!! And most of the ladies weighing us were older women and they don’t believe in weight training. So now finally after being away from WW for almost 2 years now, my mind is changing and the scale is the least of my worries... Altho last week I was pretty annoyed with the scale when I slipped into my old habits and weighed myself... Those old habits are difficult to break!! And you’re absolutely right they will be the most rewarding 12 weeks of your life... Good luck to you, and post and journal along with us anytime, we’re here to answer your questions... BTW you did fine with your sups., but the protein powder don’t worry about that because real food is much more filling and stays with you much longer, IMO....

Carrie -- Nice to see you again. Sounds like you are doing very well in your healthy lifestyle...

Susan – Happy to see that you and your son will settle in a new routine... and welcome back...
=====
I’ve had an awesome workout yesterday with my Sunday buddy, I thought I had pulled a groin muscle when I was doing lunges, so when I got home I took some glutamine, and took some 3 other times throughout the day and I ‘m ok this morning, whew thank goodness... I too had a sugar hangover on Saturday morning... I had never had that either, I ate about 6 chocolates and some popcorn when D and I went to see Chicago. It actually did feel like a alcoholic type of hang over...

Well I have to stop this typing and go do some laundry... take care everyone... I hope this post hasn’t bored everyone to tears... And have a great day!!
Old 02-24-2003, 10:12 AM   #10  

Angry hi everyone

good to see you all here.

Karen i think that's fabulous that you got the surgery done. i'm starting to dream of the day that i'll just have the loose skin and be able to do something that will just get rid of it! i wish you a speedy recovery

Carrie it's nice to meet you. you seem to be quite a success, even though you feel like you're going up and down !! good for you. hope to see you around here more often now.

Susan -
WOW !! that's just wonderful that your son had such a great recovery. i'm so sorry though for everything that he has had to go through, and you also. you are really awesome Susan ! all the best of luck to your son and you now that he's back home and on his way to a new life! what boot camp were you doing CPB?

BethO - that's what i've heard from a lot of people who are doing BFL, that they seem to be able to stick with this when other programs went haywire. just keep plugging away !

Laura - sorry to hear about the cold ! hope you get well real quick.

i had a great legs workout this morning. i'm happy with my progress in upping the weights about once per week too. all in all i'm feeling real good about my program and my ability to reach a little higher every day. food has also been good. i've been very strict with my protein since it had slipped down a bit. now i feel better since i'm keeping it at 40% per meal.

i hope that you all have a wonderful Monday. it's the last week of February already!! yikes.

take care,

adriana
Old 02-24-2003, 10:36 AM   #11  

Good morning, all! Today is my official start day. Usually, I I start out all gung ho, and then slack, so I expect y'all to help keep in line!

Wow, Karen! That's awsome. You do what you gotta do. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I'm glad Vicodin helps cuz they didn't do jack for me after giving birth! (This is from a person who asked for an epidural the minute I set foot in the hospital!) Anyway, I'm glad you did your research and found a wonderful surgeon. You hear so many stories of people who go to quacks who advertise in the Pennysaver or the like and have horror stories to tell.

Susan, I'm glad your son is doing well.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

BTW, cottege cheese tastes a lot better with Tabasco sauce on it!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #12  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

This post isn't going to be very long as I have some errands to run in a few minutes but will come back here in a bit.

Karen--Hats off to you! If I had the money, I'd do it in a heart beat! I have all that loose skin in my tummy area from having children that I know will never go away, plus the little fatty spots on my inter thighs, love handles, etc. Rest up and let us see before and after pics when you are fully recovered.

I had a fairly good workout today at the gym. I'll need to adjust the weight at next LBWO.

Today is D1W2C1. Hoping to have a very great week. But.....Friday is dh's bday and we have reservations at a fine dining restaurant. Then on Saturday we are going to Niagra Falls for the night. I'll do my best!

I'm off the grocery store and then getting my nails done. I'll pop back in here later before I have to leave for work.

~Kelly~
Old 02-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #13  

Default GREETINGS!

KAREN – I knew it! Gurl you just GO! Ain’t nothing wrong with lipo. ESPECIALLY in your case – all your hard work over the last few years! I am just so glad you felt like you could post it here and share it with us. If anyone was going to do their due diligence and research on lipo, it would be you. My sister had it a few years ago and never regretted it. And, to tell you the truth, I am sure it’s going to be something I need. I, like you have been overweight my entire life. I have the ‘apron’ as they call it – and it isn’t going away with any amount of fat loss and muscle gain. It may be reduced a bit, but it won’t go away. So, I have been looking into a tummy tuck for a few years now. Actually, before I met Mike I was 50 pounds lighter and had kept it off for 3 years – then I started to gain and here I am. So, I have given myself 2 years to get healthy and stay healthy and then I will see how much of a tummy tuck I will need. (That response was more about me than you! Sorry!) Some tips from my sis – ARNICA works great for the bruising and drink lots and lots of water.

SUSAN~I am glad to hear your son is doing so well. You’ll be back to the gym in no time!

Hello to all Newbies (stay off the scale!)

Hello to everyone else – Mel, Ledom, Lana, BethO, Adriana, JC, Semens, Tidey…………the list goes on

I am ready for the new week! I did really well last week on all but daily promises. Meaning I worked out like a mad woman and ate clean (OK, there was that 1 Thin Mint incident– damn Girl Scouts! And a piece of chocolate Saturday night). Sunday was FD and we had French toast, hash browns and sausage for breakfast. We went shopping and then came home for dinner. Bg was high all day due to large breakfast and a few (6) Thin Mints. So, from now on I know I have to eat smaller meals and just have a treat on FD to keep Bg in check. I never liked the FD pig out anyway. AND I had been doing just a treat for the last 4 weeks and my progress has been great (or at least I think so!) so, I shall continue.

I burned my hand Sunday cooking said large breakfast and it’s blistered a bit now. Just 4 pea-sized (why is it always a food reference!?) blisters, but they hurt nonetheless. I have to wrap hand before working out……..how am I gonna wear my gloves!? I shall do the best I can. Won’t kill me.

I have learned a lot the past week. 1. I need to workout alone. 2. I must revamp workout log due to not being able to see previous weights etc. 3. I must post daily promises where I can see them. Writing them in journal and closing it does nothing towards getting them done!

TA! Susie
Old 02-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #14  

Hey all!

I had a good weekend, and a decent 20MAS today (instensity was as high as I could get it with SORE legs from last weeks LBWO's)

Ive been eating clean ALL DAY which is great because last week was not great (little slip here and there, but nothing serious like chips or candy etc.) but Im determined to make this my best week yet.

Well, I gotta go make some protein pancakes so I'll see you all later!

Tidey
Old 02-24-2003, 05:55 PM   #15  
mox

Default Waytago!

Hey everyone, I'm recovering from a bit of a muscle pull -- it seems like my right quad (which I tore in college - a stupid volleyball injury), doesn't like it when I do squats and lunges in the same LBWO. So, I've been a bit off in my LBWO and cardio, since I've not been able to put too much weight on that leg. But, I'm still trying to eat right and limp . . . I mean walk . . . around a lot.

Karen: Congratulations on the surgery! I'm all for doing things that make you feel good about yourself. However, regardless of what he claims, I still can't figure out why Michael Jackson altered his appearance as much as he has. But, I don't think liposuction is even close to what he's done. When I get -- and stay -- at a good body fat %/weight, I'm definitely looking into getting a breast lift! I'm encouraged to hear your sister has had good results with that surgery. I hope your recovery goes really, really well.

Susan: Welcome back. I'm so glad to hear your son has recovered so well. I hope law school is going as well (if that's even a possibility . . . ) I've had a few weeks where being a lawyer seems more like a curse, than a pleasure -- and not because of opposing counsel, but because of people supposedly on my side of the case. Go figure.

JC: Congrats on the new home purchase. Myself, I can barely hold down 1 small condo. Are you and your husband handy around the house? Also, how do you manage property so far away?

Lana: This is a long time coming, but the picture of you and your husband was great. So cute.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

I'm very excited because I finally booked my trip to S.E. Asia -- I'll be heading to Malaysia in April, then to Burma/Mayanmar, then to Laos and Cambodia. So, I continue to be very motivated to work out and get into better shape.

Hang in there, Mox
Closed Thread