Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #1  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 161.4 / 161 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Default Question Weight Lifting for Women

I used to weigh over 200 pounds, and have bounced between 160 and 180 for awhile. During, exercising... I always fall off the wagon.

Well me and my boyfriend find a gym we could afford. We started weight training. W work a major and a minor muscle group at a time.

We have two seperate goals though. He wants to build. I want to lose weight, gain strength, and benefit from muscle burning more calories.

We spend about an hour and a half there. About 15 to 20 minutes cardio then weight training.

My question is this, will I still lose weight? I don't want to build I want to lose.

I'm on a program from Body building.com for fat loss. It is called LiveFit...if that helps.

And I'm on 1,200 calorie a day diet if that helps.

Last edited by lyn88; 01-23-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add info
lyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

If youre only eating 1,200 caloires a day there is NO WAY you'll bulk up. The only way to bulk up is to eat MORE calories than you'll burn (whether youre gaining weight the right way-- gaining muscle, or the wrong way--gaining fat, it will take a calorie surplus.)

Not only will you not bulk up on a 1200 calorie diet- but it takes a lot more work and often a lot of supplements to get that bulky "body builder" look, especially as a woman-since we have a whole lot less testosterone! in short- you have to build muscle on purpose. When I added weight training to my program was actually when I got to my lowest weight- I'm assuming because of the residual calorie burn that continued after my workout, and the fact that I was maintaining my muscle mass, and losing mostly fat- rather than both.

When you are weight training on a calorie deficit, the weight training only helps you maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight. Also, I've seen a little about that program and it looks good. So no worries! It looks like youre on the right track!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #3  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 161.4 / 161 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks!! I've been worrying about it alot.
lyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote