Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #90 - week of 17 Feb 2003

Hey you guys!

Not meaning to be Persona Non Appeara here but we're having a lot of work done on the house. Unfortunately some of it means that we have to turn off the electricity not a good thing (I'm glad we don't live in the Snowy Part of the Country).

Our place is pretty ancient - and our landlord has decided to do some electrical 'updating'. Actually Jim is the one who is kind of driving that decision since all his studio equipment requires grounded plugs. Even though our landlord is paying to have the work done, we told John that we would pay for the plugs for our apartment and things. Just about all the plugs in here are two-prong, and they should all be 3-prong. Have you noticed that just about every electrical appliance you buy is 3 prong? So...while the electrician is working on that we have no electrical power. We've also been spending a lot of time at Home Depot buying bathroom stuff which our landlord is reimbursing us for. It'll be great when it's done but meanwhile it's rather a pain in the *** if you know what I mean! Should be all finished today though

Hope everyone is doing great this beautiful holiday weekend!

Well when I'm able to get in again, I know I'll see a lot of lovely posts from y'all!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #2  

Hey all!

Gah. I have a sugar hangover from my freeday that beats any alcohol hangover ive ever had.

During my 20MAS I thought I was going to die/puke and I STILL feel nauseous 4 hours (and two meals) later

Other than that Im pretty pleased with things. The pants-o-meter is showing slight progress and Im into week 5 now! Hard to believe the changes in my body/well being in only a month!

Hows everyone else?

Tidey
Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #3  

Default Drink yer water, Poo!

Sounds like you had a great cardio session! Remember to drink more water than normal. That FD stuff will do a number on ya, won't it! This last Dec I knew I was going to start fresh with eating right etc and I decided to binge on sugar and everything else for that matter. So, we made chocolate chip cookies and I ate them till I wanted to puke. The next day I couldn't get out of bed. I'm not even kidding! I started to get up and I was SO DIZZY I had to lay back down and close my eyes. I had the worst FD hangover EVER. NEVER again. Now, on FD I just eat a free meal or 2.

I had a killer UBWO today - I hated every second of it. Gym was hot and crowded (Prez Day) and I spilled my water - but thankfully my towel soaked it all up! Oh, AND my brand new notebook too! HAHAHAHA Oh well. I am going back to going early - 5:30 seems to be when I'm at my strongest.

Off to straighten up the casa - comapny for dinner tomorrow nite - Mike's friends form the academy are coming over for dinner. Poor guys, they have to stay at the academy for 2 weeks while they go through this sargent's training and they have to eat that food. Blick! So, a few are coming over for dinner. I'm making BBQ beef samiches, corn, fries and salad. Not exactly BFL, but I'm not eating it!

TA! Susie
Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #4  

Happy President's Day!

I had decided when I started BFL that I would use my free days to clear out the freezer and pantry of "bad" foods. I had looked forward to yesterday because I made brownies. Nothing tasted good. I can live with that.

This is week four for me. I was a little sad about my measurements going up, but as I lay in bed last night I noticed the muscles in my legs. It was a pleasant suprise to say the least.

I upped my weights for my LBW. I'm still not hitting the 10's for the big muscles, but I finally hit major 10's for my calf workout. I bought one of those balls to assist me in my abs. A better workout but I'm definitely not coming close to any 10's there.

Wishing everyone the best.

~Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #5  

Angry Hi! Will you ladies accept a "newbie"?

Hello, ladies!

My name is Beth and I started C1W1D1 today. I was introduced to BFL two years ago, and my husband and I did mostly follow the program for a few weeks until I way overdid things and took myself off of the training list. I've thought about getting back with the program on and off ever since, but I've finally gotten to the point of saying "enough is enough!" I have several challenges to go through, since I'm starting out at about 280 (40 lbs higher than when I quit a couple of years ago), but right now I'm just going to focus on this challenge. My goal is to be down to 250 in 12 weeks and to have a whole lot more energy! Lately, I've been dragging so much that I can hardly get through a day. Something has GOT to change!

I'm 32 and a mother of 5, currently living in Utah but preparing to move back to California where we came from 3 years ago. My husband works on contract and the economy in his industry is such that he's never in on place for more than a few months. (Sometimes it's only a few weeks!) Consequently, we only get to see him about once a month. It's hard, but we're thankful that he has a job right now!

I've been lurking here and over at L&S for a few days, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you ladies better!

Beth v
Old 02-18-2003, 01:26 AM   #6  

Talking good morning to all !!

Beth - Welcome and for starting this challenge !! it'll be great getting to know you here. these are a WONDERFUL bunch of women, actually Sisters in Steel !!

Chris - that's great about seeing the mucsle !! i know that i'm always pumped when i see those kinds of results too. if you're working hard i wouldn't sweat the 10's so much. you'll get there more and more often as you progress with the program. hang in there because it's happening

Tideypo - blah !! what a horrible feeling !! i don't think i could handle a free day at all now. good for you and your progress

Niffer - so good to see you ! i feel like i haven't heard from you in awhile, am i completely wrong? have a great time with the company that menu sounds pretty good, if you're not on BFL

KAREN !! - i knew there was a reason why you haven't been here, but i couldn't remember it !! good luck with all the work on the place. it'll be super once it's all done. can't wait till you come back to us full time!!

=============

all-righty then..... yesterday i did a fantastic UBWO, followed by 40 minutes on the elliptical. i was able to raise the weights in some of the exercises, especially the barbell chest press. it sure does feel good to pump that iron. i'm the ONLY woman in the entire gym that works with the free weights like that and i get quite the looks kind of fun in a way, but kind of a bummer since there really isn't anyone i can work with.

there's a great guy that i sometimes see, but he started working out in the evenings and i sure can't do weights at that hour. i hope he comes back to the mornings real soon.

does anyone else have a bit harder time working the arms? i can't believe how easily i get tired when i work the biceps and triceps. i push through the sets and reps but sometimes i just want to scream i see the progress in my arms and the tape measure is showing great numbers, but i still feel that i'm wimping out with my arms all the time. am i wrong?

today is LEGS !!!! yay !! i don't do calves right now. i'm concentrating on the knees-up for now. am i wrong to do this?

okay.... time to sit and work for a few hours before the workout.

hope you all have a great tuesday!!

take care,

adriana
Old 02-18-2003, 06:01 AM   #7  

I have LBWO today Going to do sqats and good mornings! here comes the PAIN! LOL

Adriana, i would not cut out the calf exercises, but dont use any weight at first. I find that I get an increible burn and cant do a single one more if I do the 12,10,8,6,12 and 12 pattern. Ive noticed amazing "firming" of my calves and they are not bigger, just more firm. It only takes a few minutes and you dont even need any equipment so I say do the calves

I also find that if I am not hitting real 10's then I feel like I havent worked as hard as I wanted in my UBWO, but its my favorite so Im not surprised. I love the feeling of sore arms lol but you DO have to push to get it. Sometimes I do an extra set for my bicepts with a barbell curl (I do standard and hammer curls for my WO) really really slowly so I can FEEL it every single rep. If you cant reach the intensity you want by upping the weight (you fail too fast or it hurts your joints) take the heaviest you can and do SLOW reps. 6-8 seconds up, 4-6 seconds down. You WILL feel it

I had a dream last night that I was wearing and old pair of jeans *sigh* Hopefully it wont always be a dream! I want my 30" waist back (to say nothing for 28" heh)

Ive found that lately my biggest drive to lose fat is NOT be a certain clothing size, but actually to be able to see my muscles LOL. I want to show them off! My SO is shocked by my arms these days, and they are still covered in flab.

Well, off to sweat!

Tidey
Old 02-18-2003, 07:55 AM   #8  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

I hope there is room for one more here.

Yesterday was the first day of my Challenge. And it went very well. Ate clean and had a good ubwo. Looking forward to another great day today.

A little about me...
I'm a married mother of 2..boy 12 and a girl 9 from a previous marriage. I work two jobs. P/t days at a breakfast cafe waitressing and f/t afternoons/nights at a Steakhouse waitressing. Talk about hard to follow a diet! LOL
I start BFL for a few reasons. To be healthier, to be happy, to re-shape my life and body, to firm up and build muscle and let's face it, to able to show off my new body come summer! LOL

I'm 5'3, 137 lbs, and I used the body fat calculator at L&S and it says I have 29.8% body fat. My goal is to get that number lower too.

I have a few questions for everyone. 1)As long as you get in your 10 cups of water, can you have a decaf tea, decaf coffee or a diet pop during the day?
2) Can you add fat free sourcream to your baked potatoes?
3)Is it okay to mix your protein drink with milk instead of water? Skim milk that is.

Well I'm off to the gym to do my cardio.
I'll check back in later.

~Kelly~
Old 02-18-2003, 12:55 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Hello Girls

Oh NEWBIES!!…. I’s luvs newbies Welcome “Sisters in Steel” to Kelly, Mrs. Hoek and Size 14 (soon to be 12 if you embark on the BFL boat) !! WOOHOO!!

OK enough excitement for the moment…

Ariana ~~ “Sisters in Steel”!! THAT is a great motto… We must adopt that one! Arms used to be a problem area to work out for me too… but they are now my fav part … I love the pumped feeling I get when I work them … Congrats on the new UP in your weights what a great feeling that is … Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask how it’s going with the Glutamine… I love taking it, I can see a definite difference in how I feel… Is that great guy at the gym single?? I don’t think that not doing calves for now is a big deal, and I often overlook them too because we work them so much anyways when we are doing cardio, but the pumped feeling in the calves is a great feeling…

Chris ~~ isn’t it fun to have muscles in your legs… Congrats! Don’t despair over the inches and that scale!! the scale LIES… !!

WARNING TO THE NEWBIES: Throw the scale, fa’ fa’ fa’ away!!! Take the battery out!! Whatever works… but get rid of it… Use your pant-o-meter….

BethV ~~ mother of 5!! OMG you’re a SAINT!! Good luck in your quest…

‘Poo ~~ You took the words right out of my mouth when you said about working to get muscles and loosing fat and not worry so much on being in a certain clothing size…It is sooo true… very good point…. Forgive me if I’m a but what is SO? I just can’t figure it out, and I know when you tell me I’m gonna bop myself on the head…

Kelly ~~ there’s an e-mail comin’ your way … more Canucks we need that!! To answer your questions: #1. IMO yes you can have decaf tea, decaf coffee or a diet pop during the day, in moderation, and not everyday … #2. Sour cream, try wiping up some cottage cheese and salsa, it’s even better than the sour cream on potatoes… #3. Go to the Sticky “Articles to read” at the beginning of this thread and read “Foods that make you look skinny….. Great article… IMO on BFL you will be eating enough green stuff, lettuce, broccoli and if you take a good supplement of calcium/magnesium, you’ll do ok… plus all the weight bearing exercises, your bones will be fine… This is only a personal opinion tho….Oh and BTW I love your signature.... I sure got a chuckle out of it...

Susie ~~ How was the dinner for the boys of the academy? The dinner sounded delicious….Have you gotten your e-mail up and running?

Karen ~~ Hope your apartment is coming along well ....
Mel, JEC, Ledom ~~~ where are you??
===================

In my part of the world, things are good and I had a great shoulder workout I found a routine in a magazine and I finally love working my shoulders for the first time in 10 years….
I’m also off work and have lost of time to do stuff, the house stays clean, I’m in the process of drawing a headboard for our bed we haven’t had a headboard for a decade and I’m fed up! Went shopping for a head and foot board and the one I liked of course was like $750… I don’t think so!! So I’m gonna use my imagination and make one… Then I will also be posting a recipe I found in a magazine for tuna burgers, extremely simple but it was really good for a change of pace, and gets the good omega fats in us, which we all know we need….

Ok I’ve rambled on enough…. See you all soon…..
Old 02-18-2003, 03:22 PM   #10  

Lana,

SO = Signifigant Other

I did sqats and good mornings for the first time today and the TOTALLY kicked my butt lol. I had noodle legs for the first time in a LONG time and I was sweating to the point where it was dripping off my nose! (very, very irritating!)

Anyhoo, off to eat, shower, and watch some TV (mmmmtv)

Tidey
Old 02-18-2003, 04:13 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

yeah I am here just totally exhausted at the moment from having the relatives stay for a week. They leave tomorrow so I should get back into the swing of things then. Work is busy as well....

Take care all,

JC
Old 02-18-2003, 04:50 PM   #12  
Mel

Default I'm here too

I'm here to, but still in shock from digging out from our blizzard. I pulled a few muscles in my lower back, hip, side while throwing snow up onto 6' piles and am not sure what to do about LEGS tomorrow. Did shoulders, chest and tri's today and counted yesterday as cardio. Guess I'll just have to see what I can do without getting hurt more.

I'm also trying to get ready for about 50 people for dinner on Friday night. My daughter's lacrosse team will be playing U. of Pa. on Saurday, so we are hosting the entire team, coaches, trainers, and any parents local enough to come. I did it last year, too- It's a lot of fun, but a huge amount of work and there's all that FOOD! The weather is supposed to be dreadful, so I'm not looking forward to going to the tournement on Saturday, but can't wait to see the girls!

Today I ran into an old friend at the gym who I hadn't seen in about 2 1/2 years. Her eyes went really wide when she saw me and she said "OMG, you're so tiny!" I don't feel very tiny, so I must have been pretty huge before. Also made me sad to realize how long it had been since we saw each other.

HELLO NEWBIES! Glad to have you here.

Gotta go eat- I'm starving as usual!

mel
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #13  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

I'm here. Today was busy and I had two meals out, just hoping for the best and luckily both included boneless/skinless chicken breast. I was able to do just fine by passing up on the trimmings. I didn't do cardio today, but I did do a cardio on free day so I don't have a deficet yet by my calculations. I am already doing my self talk for hitting the floor when the alarm goes off at 4:30. UB, yeah! Another opportunuity to get it right. I'll be there!

Welcome newbies. Mel, now that is a big supper party. I know it'll be great.

Lana, you are sounding so chipper these days. Not working must really be agreeing with you, not to mention your healthy lifestyle.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #14  

Thanks for the welcomes! I had a good Day 2, although I did have a couple of bites of my daughter's chocolate pudding. I'm not quite up to a 20MAS yet, but I did Leslie Sansone's 1 mile Walking Away The Pounds. Up until today, I'd only been able to manage 1/2 mile, so I was thrilled when I did the whole mile today!

Adriana, I have always preferred a LBWO over an UBWO - even in high school. I really struggle through yesterday's workout, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's.

Tidey, you'll be back in those smaller jeans soon!

Kelly, I gained a lot of weight when I was waitressing. That was before I was married, though, and I'd love to be back down where I was then!

Lana, that recipe for tuna burgers sounds good - I can't wait to see it! BTW, I find 5 kids to be easier than 3, believe it or not.

Mel, I hope your pulled muscles aren't sore for too long! The dinner sounds like a lot of work!

Ledom, good for you for eating clean while eating out! That's a hard one for me.

Well, I'm off to bed to get ready for Day 3!

Beth v
Old 02-19-2003, 05:59 AM   #15  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Good morning ladies,

Day 2 ended fairly well. Need to up my cardio intensity though.
I can say this though. I am not hungry!

I have a few more questions for you all...LOL
1) Is it okay for me to make my protein drinks with skim milk instead of water? Protein drinks made with water makes me gag something fierce!
2)I'm supposed to eat 6 small meals a day, what if I'm not hungry at the time I'm supposed to eat? Do I eat anyways, or should I wait till I feel hungry?

Beth---Good job on the cardio!

Ledom--Nice to meet you.

Mel--I heard about all the snow you guys got. Some parts got up to 40 inches of snow. Thank God we don't live out East in Newfoundland. They are flooded! People had to leave their homes and once the water moved in, that night it got cold so it's all frozen! Do you cook all that food for that many people?

Tideypoo--What is Good Mornings?

Lana--What does Glutamine do?

Well I'm off to get ready for my p/t job.

I'll try to pop back in later this afternoon between my two jobs if I have time.

Have a great day!
~Kelly~
Closed Thread