3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   October Goblin Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/244302-october-goblin-chat.html)

Tejas 10-01-2011 02:54 PM

October Goblin Chat

I noticed that we didn't have a September thread at all and thought I would at least put something up for October.

I'm off my enforced rest for the right knee because of tendonitis. So far, so good. This week I've done two lower body workouts, including BW lunges and squats and there's no pain. There has been slight swelling, but ice helped that. In addition to a lot of rest, I had 4 acucpunture treatments which I hope helped.

How's everyone else doing?

Rhonda

Lydia227 10-03-2011 07:17 AM

Hi Rhonda. :wave:
Great news the know you have been released from recovery "time out" It's a special kind of place isn't it? :devil:

Quite busy here the last few weeks. All good. I passed my Corrective Exercise exam last week. :yay: I needed to recertify both my ACSM and NASM this year and this was a nice little add on that fit the cert.

I'm in the middle of getting the boys back into the swing of school and all their extras: Soccer, drama, technology student assoc. middle school volunteer hours...

Today is my first day back into Crossfit in a about ten days. That's going to be hideous. I've toyed with the idea of tinkering with the Paleo zone thing but each time I do I end up eating poorly...Net result, my bf% is up 1.5% and my scale weight is fluctuating between 4lbs. Meh. That's a hot mess. I'm going back to what works for me, a more bodybuilder type diet that includes the ff dairy. I was feeling quite defeated in the idea that I couldn't get myself to adapt the whole paleo thing...and then I took a step back and and thought :crazy: I lost more than 50 closer to 60lbs doing this myself....I must have done something right? I'm letting it go.

Gotta run. Kids in showers. Have a great week everyone and Thanks Rhonda for starting a new month!

Shannon in ATL 10-04-2011 03:08 PM

I've been so slack about posting over here... Sorry everyone. I have been exercising, just not writing about it.

I'll be better in October, I promise. Again. :)

midwife 10-04-2011 05:19 PM

Thanks for starting the thread! I'll try to not be a stranger this month. Must. fit. exercise. into. my. life.

Tejas 10-04-2011 05:24 PM

good luck, Lydia. How did it go back at Crossfit?

I've been having some trouble with my right deltoid--my arm just stops on OH presses and other presses-- and got a free 10 minute consultation yesterday from a chiropractor/bodybuilder who is a friend of my trainer and at the gym when I was there. He went over the problems with my trainer and gave us some advice about how to handle a disk problem I have at C 4-5. He was so helpful, and that's a good aspect of my gym.

I bought the Paleo cookbook but can't do the Paleo thing. I'm finding that carb restriction helps me. I'm keeping them at 100-150 grams a day. Except of course for this past month when I had THREE family reunions and a week-long cruise!

Shannon, be good now. :lol:

Lydia227 10-08-2011 10:20 AM

Hey Rhonda: My first day back went fine. I had thrown in a couple of CF workouts at home while I was studying which probably helped a little. I think the greatest thing I have gotten from the CF experience is that I will not always need to spend 60 to 90 minutes in a gym five days a week. Really nice to have options.

Today was a good example of that. We are taking the boys to an orchard but I still needed to get a workout in. Did some mobility warm ups and then did five rounds of 100 jump rope singles and 20 kettlebell swings. Efficient and Effective.

Nice to see you Midwife and Shannon. :wave:

Spent all of yesterday getting the yard back under control. We had a lot of rain last week and its finally beginning to dry out enough to do the mowing/trimming. It that wasn't enough I took on the overgrown azelea bushes in the front of my house too. Ahhh. Now they are no longer almost as tall as the garage.

Hope everyone is enjoying beautiful weather this weekend!

Shannon in ATL 10-11-2011 02:51 PM

So I totally burned myself out with my weight lifting - I ended a ten week program in the middle of September and took a little time off from formal and hit some Crossfit exercises for about two weeks. Then the last week in Sept I started the PN program that I got from Pat a couple of years ago - forgot how heavy duty it was, and used heavier weights than I did then. Hey, I'm stronger, so heavier weights make sense, right? Wrong. I wore myself down flat in just under two weeks. I could barely move, couldn't run, heck, could barely brush my teeth. So this week I'm going back to a more realistic program. I'm going to do a three day FB workout - one UB, one LB and 2-3 complimentary exercises in each session. Thrown in some ab work on one of the days, back on another. It is a very similar format to one that has worked well for me in the past, and hopefully won't kill me.

Though I do want to get a medicine ball - I liked wallball. :)

How is everyone else doing?

I miss Mel. Anyone ever from her?

Lydia227 10-11-2011 05:24 PM

Wall ball is a great way to get the heart rate up and boost that metabolism for later in the day.

Shannon good for you for listening to your body and making adjustments. I find that everyday is different. There are days when I can go all out and have really satisfying workouts and there are days when even if my head is in it, the body just isn't rested enough to do it well. It happens, like...today! I opted for my own workout instead of Crossfit today. Just didn't have it in the tank for any real intensity but I also knew I needed to do something. Went light with the weights, did some cardio and practiced overhead squats. (Which I need lots of practice with..I'm fine with about 53# but more than that...and geez, it's like my hips completely forget what to do. Twice I got stuck in the decent and had to come back up because I wasn't sitting back...weird really weird. I was like Oh come on...are you kidding me! What is going on here and why am I getting stuck?! That little extra weight is pretty weird and totally throws things off balance. I think I just need more practice...much much more practice. ;)

Tejas 10-12-2011 12:21 PM

I'm on a 4- week plan with the trainer to rehab my right knee, but this week we just did functional exercises in a circuit he put together. I did it on Monday and am still sore :lol: It felt great to change things up a bit. He said it is his second hardest circuit. I dread his hardest :eek:

I think I'll try doing the rehab routine on my own for a few more weeks and do the functional with him. That is, when I can move again.

I'm assuming that life is just like you describe, Lydia. Somedays you have it, and some days you don't. We were laughing about that in tap practice yesterday. It's like the 8 of us never have a great performance day on the same day! I don't know how those Rockettes do it!!

Shannon, sorry to hear that you bottomed out, but it sounds like you're back again. I was wondering about Mel myself--haven't seen any posts by her.

Practice, yes, lots of practice. :dancer:

Shannon in ATL 10-14-2011 03:47 PM

Lydia - I can't do an OH squat with anything heavier than a PVC pipe to save my life. No idea why, I just can't get that motion down.

Tejas - you tap? Cool. Hope the hardest circuit isn't a killer! :)

I'm feeling better today after a week of more reasonable exercise. You are totally right Lydia - some days you have it, and some days you don't. I don't need to add to that with a bad workout.

I'm on vacay next week - I will have access to a pool, can probably run, can do some yoga and can do some bodyweight work. Sadly, the place my family picked out has no fitness center. :( Back a week from Monday, so may not be back here until then. Have a good week you guys!

Tejas 10-14-2011 11:01 PM

Have a great trip, Shannon. Good luck finding ways to move and feel good.

Yes, I tap. I'm a member of senior women's performance group. We have lots of performances coming up, including 3 performances at the Texas State Fair on October 20th. It's fun, and very challenging--mentally and physically. It's no wonder my knee hurts!

fitmom 10-20-2011 07:41 PM

I'm halfway thru stage 1 of the NROL4W and I love it!!! Cannot say enough about the program. Have already seen major improvements in my physique. I'm definitely a reformed cardio queen who has seen the light, lol. Glad to see everyone is doing well too. :) And I can so relate to the whole 'kids are back in school' thing - mine are still in elementary but the homework has been all-consuming. I do my weight-lifting at 5 a.m. b/c once the kids get up, chaos rules until the bus comes. I'm. Not. Kidding.