Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #1  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default Muscle Soreness

Hello!

I needed some strength training reoutines, so I recently went the personal trainer route. My PT is a marathon runner, so he has me focusing on my upper body and core during his work outs since I'm getting in so much cardio anyway.

For the few days after I do my PT work outs, I'm very sore. I've been drinking extra water and sticking to a high protein diet for muscle recovery, but do any of you have any advice (stretches, diet tips) that will help the soreness go away sooner? This "not being able to lift my arms for 2 days" thing is getting old.

I understand that it's a sign that my muscles are getting a great work out (and I'm not in pain so I know I'm not over doing it) I'd just like to forego the tenderness a bit, if I can
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Advil and cardio, for me. Advil to reduce the inflammation, cardio to get blood flowing through those areas. That and time are really the only things that take care of it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

I like that. Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Why is your trainer not having you focus on lower body?
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #5  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Vitamin C 1 hour before you work out will help.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

A warm bath/shower/swim and/or ibuprofen. It does go away so don't stress about it too much.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Why is your trainer not having you focus on lower body?
Because I'm running 15+ miles a week at this point, increasing the amount every week. I have quite a bit of muscle mass on my lower body.

When I do my upper body we throw in some squats and lunges (like combo exercises), but the focus is really on my core and upper body. My lower body is getting enough exercise, and he said (and I agree with him) that we don't want to over work my legs. He's a marathon runner, so I'm going to trust his judgement on that, and it's actually consistent with what I've heard from friends of mine who are runners/athletes.

I couldn't run yesterday because my chest is so sore that when my boobs move it's painful. So I'm just chugging water and waiting it out.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

If you're really new to weight training you'll be very sore, but it will subside... I used to take glutamine for soreness but really don't waste your $$, it works, but so does Advil,water, resting, and time...

It's good that you're doing some lower body compound exercises...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

Yeah, the issue with lower body exercises is mainly that I have lower back and knee issues. If I do too many lunges my knees hurt, and squats are pretty out of the question according to my orthopedist.

We do a lot of balance work, since I have none, but my legs are very muscular from all of the running/biking that I do.

I'm hoping I'll be able to run tomorrow with the help of 2 sports bras and a lot of Advil.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

but running/biking work on your lower body is completely different than doing resistance work.... it only builds muscluar endurance (after apoint, not strength) Im sorry, im a runner, and i focus a LOT on lower body weight lifting.... it can be tremendously helpful to correct imbalances that ESPECIALLY FEMALE runners have.... a severe "Q" angle and heavily quad dominant.... Working your legs will only improve your running

Oh, and to answer your question: EPSOM SALTBATH
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

I'd like to note that I consulted an actual doctor before I started meeting with the PT, and we centered my work outs based on what the doctor recommended.

I'm not a quad dominant runner, partially due to my back issue. I have to be very conscious on my form at all times, otherwise I'll aggravate my injury. I appreciate the feedback on the lower body lifting, but everyone's different and it's just not "for me" at this point, based on actual medical advice.

I'm not in this to be a marathon runner, I only picked the half marathon b/c triathlon season is over and I was having issues with motivation to go work out. /problem solved
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

Update - I chugged a lot of water yesterday (was still in pain) and then last night I used some ice and went to bed with icy/hot. Woke up like new
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
Update - I chugged a lot of water yesterday (was still in pain) and then last night I used some ice and went to bed with icy/hot. Woke up like new
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

pretty much ALL runners are quad dominant.... its not really a *choice*

but you didnt mention in the beginning you had consulted a doctor... perhaps you should see a physical trainer instead of a personal trainer?

My only point was that runners tend to overdevelope certain muscles groups (escpecially in the lower body) which is why lower body strength training is important, in order to correfct the imbalances and train the less developed muscle groups... for runners, this is generally hamstrings, and hip flexor mobility
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

FOAM ROLLER!!!!! Everywhere. Then, do it again.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote