Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Did you change careers as you changed shape?

I'm a regular on the 100+ board and lurk on this one.

I've almost always worked in an office environment. I've realized recently that I really want something different -- a job where I can spend more time moving and less time sitting. For me, I've been exploring a Master's program in nursing and recently I've been thinking about getting my ACE certification in Group Fitness and Weight Management. I don't expect the ACE cert to lead to a full-time career but a way for me to be more involved.

I know that some of you have changed jobs as you changed shape. Will you share what made you change your career path and if you miss your old job?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I was a 911 dispatcher (aka sit on my *** 12 hours a day) and yes, I've put some serious thought into some sort of fitness career instead, as it works better with kids anyways. Haven't gotten there yet though.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jessica!!!

I am also looking at Nursing programs as I want a more active career. It will be a long, long road though. I don't want to sit behind a desk. I want to work with people, help people and move around. I haven't told my mom because she would kill me as she has a very active job and wishes she had a cushy office job
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #4  

Oh Nelie! I've missed you!

It's ridiculous. I've built and sold a company and now I'm building another one but really I'm ready for a change.

A long, long road is right. In California, all the programs are impacted and what I need is a MEPN program (because my bachelor's is not in nursing). There's one in San Diego! Top 10% in the country! Annnnnnnd... it only accepts 30 students PER YEAR! So, I'm applying. Who knows? Maybe I'll amaze them.

PM me any time you want to trade notes.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #5  
Just Me

There are various programs here but many of them are really second degree BSNs->MSNs. Johns Hopkins has a few different programs and yes, they are very competitive. I am not totally worried about the MSN portion, only really the BSN right now but I still have a bunch of pre-reqs to finish before I can apply to those programs.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #6  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Let me just say......
I commend anyone who desires to go into nursing, gets there, completes class, passes boards, and stays working as a nurse!

Before becoming a nurse, I owned a wallpaper hanging company. Lots of movement, freedom, up and down ladders--the whole bag. Then, I think I was hit over the head with a 2x4 and went to nursing school! Conquer the world, take on a new approach to life, help others, work when I wanted--b/c they are open 24/7/365, become a REAL asset to my community, and educate people along the way and somehow they would listen to me b/c I was a nurse and I knew important things and they would eat better, stop smoking, and make good food choices all b/c I had given them knowledge!

Then I started working with heart failure patients!

YEAH RIGHT!!!

I have worked days, nights, wknds, 2nd shift--all of it. And if u want a career that is NONSTOP from the moment u arrive, come to the heart failure floor! However, if you're expecting to loose a ton of weight when you get here--THINK AGAIN!

During school, I was the size I am now b/c all u do is sit and study for HOURS!!
Once you're out, if you start working for a hospital, it's 12 hr shifts 3 days or nights a week. You're thinking--THAT'S AWESOME!!! I'll have 4 days off to exercise, shop, etc--WRONG!! It'll take those 4 to recoup from the 3 days/nights you just worked!

And lunch break! (giggles) what lunch break?? Lunch is whatever you can scarf between seeing patients, so if you're planning to eat healthy, please prepare on your 4 days off to bag it and bring it with you!

Healthcare in the USA provides a crucial work environment. Be emotionally sound before you come!

((soon 2b ticker)) HA
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #7  
Just Me

I'm not concerned about weight loss, just concerned about having a career where I'm inactive I've only just begun and there are a lot of hurdles to get there. I am taking pre-reqs and also trying to save money as I will quit my job once I'm in a nursing program. Oh and did I mention, I'd take a large pay cut to become a nurse? So I do think I'm somewhat crazy in this entire plan but what you gonna do?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #8  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'm not concerned about weight loss, just concerned about having a career where I'm inactive I've only just begun and there are a lot of hurdles to get there. I am taking pre-reqs and also trying to save money as I will quit my job once I'm in a nursing program. Oh and did I mention, I'd take a large pay cut to become a nurse? So I do think I'm somewhat crazy in this entire plan but what you gonna do?
I quit my job as well and went to school full time. Lots of stress there--even moved back in with my aunt and uncle for abt 9 months at the beginning--they were generous to offer me a place to stay
It's hard enough in the program without working a full time job. I feel ya on the pay cut too. I went from business owner pay to $0/week in a matter of moments.

((soon 2b ticker)) HA
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I haven't changed jobs, because I like what I do, and it is suited to my talents, but it has given me a lot more confidence in putting myself forward in meetings, to give presentations, and for interviewing for internal openings in my dept. that would be promotions.

It's because I feel more comfortable in situations where I am physically on display, and being judged. You know, the appearance portion of the interview, when you first walk in, wearing the suit, and shake hands. Or at the start of the presentation when you stand there in front of people & they take your measure for a few seconds. Eventually, they are listening to you & following your ideas & not thinking about your appearance but in the beginning there's that brief assessment of you, whether you look confident, like you have it together, intelligent, like you can control a room or lead an audience. And having the weight thing out of the way really helps. I no longer feel I have to overcompensate in some way or overcome some kind of handicap, which would be the stigma of being overweight. I feel like I'm starting at a neutral place, rather than a couple yards behind the official starting line. If that makes sense.

Also, the managerial culture in my company at least gives lip service to health & fitness & balance. (In reality, they're somewhat self-abusing workaholics, but that's usually sort of ignored.) Our CEO runs regularly near our parklike office complex & can be seen in our gym often. So "doing fitness" & eating sensibly is seen as part of Good Work Habits & a Strong Managerial Character. That's not why I set out in my journey -- I was trying to save myself, having messed-up health & so many other issues -- but it works to my advantage.

Have I thought of a fitness career? No. I need to get my 401(k) packed & my social security benefits raised with a higher income, I just took on a mortgage two years ago, and I want really good health benefits. (Both my parents suffered bouts of cancer; one died of it. Cancer does not necessarily respect healthy habits.) I see the fitness industry as being about as precarious as being a freelance writer, which is a career I could have contemplated, but did not, because I wanted something more solid. I come from poor folk not far back & I have a great respect for substantial corporate benefits, even if the lifestyle & mindset can be really irksome & wears out one's soul & energy over time.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #10  
Just Me

Yeah, I do like some of the benefits of the corporate lifestyle and it pays better than most jobs out there. I am willing to have a lower income overall as a result. It is a pretty big trade-off.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #11  
Oujisama no Sakura

S/C/G: 270/264/162

Height: 5'9"

I just completed nursing school.....still need to take Nclex (scary);_;
I used to do customer service..so nursing is much more active..although i really haven't dieted yet. I hope nursing will speed up progress. Technically, i've only had 1 job......but I guess that counts >_>

Last edited by kanohane; 04-12-2011 at 05:43 PM.
kanohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #12  

Kanohane - You're going to great! One job definitely counts.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I've only had on my feet jobs.
I worked at Mcdonalds for 2-3 months. Now THAT is an on your feet job, especially in the kitchen! Plus, you will never eat Mcdonalds food again!
Right now I am a cashier at a grocery store and like it. Less movement, but I am picking up heavy things like soda as I move them through the line and bag them.
The only thing I don't like is the breaks. Only 15 minutes because I work part time (if you work 7 or so hours you do get an option 30 min lunch). Depending on who is managing, I might get my break soon or late! Once it was an hour or so before the end of my shift when I got sent on break-I was forgotten!
At Mcdonalds, I was going to be given a break but then the other guy never came back and when he did it was lunch...so I didn't get my break until about 2 hours before my 8 hour shift ended!
So yea, don't expect to be getting to eat snacks and drink water whenever you want....
I kind of find myself undereating on work days and overeating on non work days...:/
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #14  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

There are many very good reasons to choose a career in nursing. However, most nurses I know who work in the hospital (and I know a lot of them- I'm a doctor) uniformly dislike the being-on-your-feet-all-day aspect of their job. They do not view it as an asset but as a liability that leads to bad backs/knees/hips, etc. And (this being Michigan), the vast majority of them are overweight, and complain that their job really impedes a healthy lifestyle. I've heard them complain about the lack of healthy options in the hospital cafeteria, the lack of "proper" exercise (because just walking around the hallway in nursing shoes for 12 hours apparently doesn't count for much), the lack of time to sit down and eat slowly enough to notice when you're full, the constant stream of unhealthy food brought in by staff for no good reason (think: boxes of donuts at breakfast-time, pizza or chinese takeout group orders, candy and chocolate lying around every day in the nurse's lounge), and the physical/mental exhaustion that leads to mindless overeating, even on your days off.

In my opinion, any job -sedentary or physical- that leaves you feeling energized, fullfilled and looking forward to returning the next day, is one that is conducive to a healthy lifestyle. As long as your job allows you enough time away from work to be physically active and to plan and track your meals, it is a job that supports your weight loss goals. Having said that, if a Master's in nursing would allow you to pursue a more fulfilling career than the one you now have, then that is a perfect choice for you.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #15  
Just Me

I work in an office now and there is all that junk around . I never liked pizza or donuts so that wasn't an issue or any of the office junk. I can easily avoid it. Personally, I feel like a change, I always liked medicine and having a desk job where my results are intangible just isn't working for me.

I do feel a bit panicky at the moment because I recently read that advanced nursing programs are being closed to new applicants due to the volume of requests. I think though that the economy has a part to play with that as well as the fact that advanced nursing programs are expected to have further requirements as they change from Masters to Doctorates and current nurses are trying to get into the programs while they programs are still Masters programs.