Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:02 AM   #91  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks! I think I will finish, for the satisfaction if nothing else. I have two children and a hubby who are not OP, so we have lots of Bad foods in the house, and every once in a while I revert back to my old eating style. Than I get mad at myself! But I will do this. I will plan out my meals and WO's for this week and next and finish this challenge with my head held high, take a week off and than back at it by -the-book. I will not sway from the eating plan or the WO's. Thanks for your support!
Virginia
Old 01-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #92  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

OSC: Great Job!

JEC: My DH was in the American Navy for 20 years. He retired in August of 2001. We were together for 14 of his 20 years. Because of the type of job he did, he didn't go to sea much and we were blessed with two overseas tours (one in Italy, one in Spain).

Everyone Else: I am beginning Week 3 (today's my free day ) and am starting to notice a change using the pants-o-meter. You know how when your pants are a little tighter than they should be, the button starts to dig into your gut by the end of the day? Well, on Friday afternoon I realized I wasn't constantly adjusting the button on my pants to keep from getting a permanent dent. Yay for me!

I'm sick with a pretty hairy head cold (my nose is running away! catch it!), and I went to bed at 7:30 Friday night. Got my legs and cardio in yesterday, though. What do you ladies do for cardio? I don't belong to a gym (I have a weight bench at home), so I usually just walk. Tapes bore the you-know-what out of me! I'd like to start running again, but I want to wait until the end of this challenge to get back into it. My goal is to run a 5K this August (small, I know....but BIG for me!)
Old 01-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #93  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Happy Sunday y'all!

ONE SWEET CHICK! YA DID IT!!!! I knew you could!

Well I didn't get to ride yesterday because of the rain - BUT we do get to ride today which is great! Jim had gigs Friday and Sat so I've not seen much of him. He's asleep now - didn't get home until 2:00. Since he wasn't home I babysat (which I probably would've done anyway) both nights. My little nephew is SO into Spongebob Squarepants. That is one of the most bizzare yet hilarious cartoons I have ever watched in my life!! I also had to get hoppin' and do a total clean up job on the house since our landlord is doing an inspection on Tuesday...so have been busy busy busy!

Virginia - DO NOT STOP NOW! Believe me I have had so many moments like yours. It's toughest when Jim is out - like the last couple of nights. I still have that compulsion to open the fridge and see what the Goody Fairy has left (hmm...veggies...cottage cheese...eggs...chicken...Pellegrino...) that's why I can't buy stuff like whole wheat tortillas or bread - why make things tough? I remember Mel said once you're only 2 1/2 hours from being back on program. I've suggested journaling so often - I want to suggest it again. The pen is mightier than the sword, you know? Actually I went through this just last night. While walking home from sister's house, it was around 10:00 and for some reason the idea of McDonald's popped into my head and just would not leave voluntarily. I started giving myself the talk - that McDonald's is not as good as it used to be by a long shot - and it really isn't. THEN after I got the McD's out of my head I started thinking about TACO BELL!! AACK. Finally I told myself "you're tired - almost ready for bed - and you want to go to TACO BELL?!? You won't even enjoy the food! Besides tomorrow is Sunday anyway!" So after I got home, I immediately got into my robe, fed the kitties (who are doing better and better each day!) and had some cottage cheese and an apple (speaking of cottage cheese - it's one of my favorite proteins now - and on sale at Safeway - so what I do is blend down a couple of containers at a time, adding Splenda and vanilla and now a bit of Knox (unflavored gelatin) to give it more of a cheesecake texture - then I'm all set - I can blend it with hot apples, pudding mix or whatever!). Ya see, the hunger is all in your MIND. And I know how tough it is to change your mindset - sometimes I think my mind is a little brat, because it wants everything NOW - gimme gimme gimme!! But you must be FIRM and soon enough things will change.

Oh and one more word of advice - something that helps me a lot - cut out ALL sugar if possible. When eating fruit - stick to stuff like apples and blueberries (i.e. fruit that isn't too sweet). I truly believe that (like Pam says and I've put in the Basic Info sticky) eating sugar (or simple carbs) creates cravings for more sugar. When eating a meal, start with your protein first (unless you make something blended). I find now, that if I eat a carb without protein, I don't become satisfied - in fact, I want more and more. When I was on McDougall, which is a VERY LOW PROTEIN diet - I think my protein intake was about 8-10% of calories per day - I would eat a potful of brown rice or oatmeal and STILL not be satisfied (McDougall does not allow ANY animal products, soy products, or fats/oils of any kind - basically you can eat veggies, whole grains, potatoes and two fruits a day). Subsequently not only was I constantly hungry from all those carbs (even though they were healthy carbs) and no protein, but I was constantly itching from dry skin, my hair was thin, and my energy was pretty low. I am SO GLAD to have heard about BFL on this site!!!

JC I LOVE THOSE PICS! You and Mr. JC make such a cute couple!!! He is a real looker - hubba hubba (as us old folks say). This reminds me of something Jen (my sister) told me yesterday - on Friday she was at lunch with some friends and ran into some gals from high school (I graduated in '81, Jen and Amy in '83 from the same HS) and they asked about me - they remembered me as the fat introverted nerd. Jen proceeded to BRAG ON ME big time - how I was working out, got to travel in my job and had a husband who 'looks like Christopher Reeve' (I usually hear that Jim favors Steve Young from the SF 49ers) and BEST OF ALL I babysit for her every weekend (that made them pretty envious).

I talk about my sister a lot - here's a link to a photo of her at her business: http://store2.yimg.com/I/floralfurnishings_1702_2282489 It must be wonderful to do something you LOVE for a living - I'm quite proud of her artistic ability and success!

Adriana - I concur with JC - go with whatever is easiest for you. What you might try doing is count grams with protein - I always go with 1gram per pound of bodyweight, divided by 6 meals a day - then as far as carbs go - eat as clean as possible and use fist measurements. With BFL, if you're mixing up your carbs you will get a NATURAL zig-zag effect calorically. I've seen too many people try to stick to a certain calorie level each day - say 1200 calories a day - or eat the same thing each day - and they end up getting stuck, which causes them to get discouraged and (eventually) binge eat. IMO you keep the protein level constant day after day and vary the carbs... JC - is that what you're doing now? I need to read that book too - our library system doesn't carry it though so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order it from Draper's site!

Lana - good on you for those 9 days - that's the key as Funky Diva would say - string those clean days together and this gets easier and easier - one day at a time, one meal at a time!

Well, Mr. Jim just got up - so I probably have to let him have some PC time now - more later (I have some 'new' recipes to post on our lonely little recipe thread anyway - and I am going to put that T-mag article link in the sticky as well as at the L&S Links page).
Old 01-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #94  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Karen: Not quite varying carbs from day to day as you would normally think it but in a way yes. Carbs I believe are the 'variable' most people ignore. Protein is so important that I wouldn't vary it below a certain level (say 1 gm per pound of body weight). The diet I am doing is based on carb manipulation.

Thanks for the complement about hubby. He is adorable isn't he? I am such a lucky chickie. Whenever people say that I am lucky to have him though I say no I am not I deserve it!! In a way he is lucky as well to have a wife that puts up with him going away so much of the year.

JC
Old 01-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #95  
Ilene the Bean

Angry

JEC: What a nice couple you make.... That picture belongs on one of those romantic calendars, that's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it...

OSC: Don't you feel on top o' the world? Congrats on the success....and many more of course...

Jenelle: Good for you on the pant-o-meter... and a SMALL goal of 5K?... That ain't no small goal girl!!..

Mel: Glad to hear that your ankle is getting better.... A few years ago I fell rollerblading and really hurt myself... I was navy blue from my ankle to my knee so I well remember that greenish colour... At the time there was a kinisiologist (sp?) at our gym and he said to use ice and warm compresses for a FEW weeks... He had said that the blood would flow faster through the muscles and would heal faster because the more the blood flows the better with less scar tissue.... and within 3 weeks I was doing aerobics again....and it had healed surprisingly fast too, I was surprised.

Karen: Thanks for the great omelette recipe...I will definitely try it....I too am on a cottage cheese kick these days...my new fav is: 2c. CC , 1c frozen blueberries, 1 packet raspberry lite jello dilluted in 1/4c boiling water, blended all together then refrigerated....yummy yummy yummy.... that's what I'm gonna have in about 15 minutes..... ... I think I will post it in the recipe section....

Virginia: Don't despair girl! This is only one day in how many 90? Don't be so hard on yourself and just get up and dust yourself off and keep going with finishing this Challenge .... As for the junk in the house keep it in a far away place... Our junk is in the basement in an old fridge....I don't even think they eat as much junk since it's all the way down there... Out of sight , out of mind.... My downfall used to be cookies, So one Christmas I made a resolution for everyone, (without them even knowing, ) and I haven't bought a bag of cookie in 5 years... No one really noticed for a few months... I thought that was pretty funny.... Now I don't even buy as many crackers or any refined carbs....So I guess the trick is to ween THEM off it gradually too... It will do them NO harm....

Skiing was good yesterday, I say only "good" because it was so so so cold.... D and I did only 5 runs, but it was fun anyways... We always stop at a pizza joint on the way back so I finally had some PIZZA and a beer and enjoyed it immensely....Oh and today I bought a long jean skirt that was a size 11 and was only a little snug but still quite wearable... I was pleased with that

Hi Ledom, Adriane, Moxie....

Gotta go.....BTW thanks for all your support....
Old 01-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #96  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Thanks Lana

Actually it made the papers - page 2 of the national paper attached to the story of the ship coming home. I just had the A4 version of it framed at home. You can't HALF tell that I am glad to see him huh???

I made that cc with jello mixture for ages when I first tried it. It was so yummy I was hooked on it for months. I love the taste of lemon so I used to make lemon cheesecake . YUM

Well at least you got pizza instead of the great skiing so it's not so bad a day. Bugger on only getting 5 runs though....

Congrats on the skirt!!

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 12:20 AM   #97  

Angry hello everyone

sounds like everyone had a great sunday. good for us !!

Lana - i'm sooo glad you had a good time skiing. cold or not it's still nice to get out there and do something you like to do. btw i hate snow !! lol too cold for me.

Karen - thank you so much for all the fantastic posts these past few days!! thanks for the tips on the carbs. that's pretty much what i do anyway. and...... there's no way that i keep my calories below 1800 per day. i vary them from 1800 - 2200 throughout the week. i've been loosing pretty steady with that, an average of one pound per week.... so i'm happy. right now i'm holding a whole lot of water in my body because of that bat mitzvah blow out on friday. i don't eat food that i don't make and having all that other food, with salt, etc., really made a bad impact on my body. i'll go away though.

we had a great sunday. in the evening my two little girls and i went for a 6k walk. we hadn't done that in over one month.... the weather was so nice it was impossible to just stay at home. they were a bit worn out by the last kilometer, but that's okay. they love those walks.

today (monday for us already) is a legs day for me at the gym. i like working on my legs i do them hard and intense. i'm planning a nice swim after that. haven't been in the pool in a few weeks already.

wishing you all a good night and i'll see you later.

adriana
Closed Thread