Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 07:46 AM   #46  
Mel

Default Dave Draper Classic

Adriana- I did Dave Draper's Classic, and the Dave Draper's "Favorite" for about 6 weeks each. For me, I found both just took too long on some days and I felt really burned out at the end of that 12 week cycle. If it works for you, go for it!
mel
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #47  

Tanya - sorry for your dh being so grumpy. Mine tried to quit smoking about 6 years ago, and he was a bear. He gave up after two weeks - not through my urging, I would have continued to put up with it (think of all the money we could have saved through the years!).

I have a question: I was really dreading my LBWO yesterday, as for some reason I've not enjoyed doing the LB work (I've been lifting for about 7 months prior to BFL). It was fine, but I figured out why it is I don't like it: For some of the moves, I have knee pain, plus I injured my tailbone a while ago (having done this before, I know it will be at least a few more months before it gets better). Specifically, sitting down for the leg press puts a lot of pressure on my tailbone. I don't seem to have trouble with squats, but lunges hurt my knees (and sometimes my Achilles tendon, which I injured at the same time as my tailbone - fell down the stairs).

So I'm going to do some research on some alternatives, but I thought I'd pose the question for suggestions from ya'll ...

Pen
Old 01-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #48  

Hello,
Pen: and ladies, I had to take my Dh off of this eating plan, he is losin weight, he is back to normal eating, just no soda, or junk food I did my LBWO yesterday and I too felt the knee pain, it was only in one knee, but it is probably from me doing the exercises wrong, a while back, I am not sure what to tell you, on that, mine may be because my body is not used to this weight, I have a small frame covered in fat.

Today I did upper body while waking up with arm pain, well upper body pain, but I still did it, I also increased my weiht, when I did one arm dumbell rows, I went up from 10 pounds to 25 pounds I am doin it girlz.

Oh well I went to the grocery store to et a few things to finish my week, I found some whole wheat pasat. So tonite I will have spaghetti, with tomato sauce.

This time I bouht FF cott ch. And I bouht some FF pancake mix made with whole wheat flour, and some sugar free syrup, and some whole wheat and bran shredded wheat with some fat free milk.

and some MASECA that is spanish round corn, to make tortillas, tostadas , quesedillas, etc.....and a butter ball turkey breast, it was only 9.99 , some oranges too.
that is it for my shopping list.

My whole body is sore, today, I will do the firm tough cardio tape tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #49  

mel - i really appreciate your imput on the Draper workouts!! i like hearing what people do and how they do with different workouts. i did pretty well with the 5 weeks that i did the Draper favorite last time and i'm hoping to do 4 weeks now at full force and then change my routine.

Pen - if you're having that much pain then you really should not do the exercises that cause the pain even if that leaves only a small amount of stuff that you "can" do!! do you have access to machines in the gym, the abductor and adductor machines are also good for leg work and they probably won't cause the pain that you're experiencing now. i would look for exercises that don't cause all that strain on the knees especially!! good luck.

Tanya - that's great stuff you bought today !!! i'm still not quite into whole wheat pasta.... maybe one day though. i just don't have pasta more than once a month anyway so it's not such a big issue for me. i'm glad that you've been able to stock up on such great food!!

okay then....... i did an incredible legs workout today. Smith Machine squats, leg presses, leg extensions and leg curls were all part of the workout. then i did crunches - ouch!! i hadn't done any work on the abs in two weeks!! after that it was 60 minutes on the treadmill with intervals and inclines. i'm still not up to doing an HITT cardio workout, i'm still coming back from that flu.

tomorrow is tricpes and biceps!! i feel like i've been away two months, not two weeks - lol

hope you're all having a great day.

see you all later,

adriana
Old 01-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #50  

WOW! This board is active!

Hello everybody. I am back after my breakfast of sin yesterday. Mrs.Jim--you would think potlucks would only be for the holidays, but not where I work. Our Director is changing depts. so it was a "goodbye" potluck. This afternoon we are having a cake party. AND they are at lunch right now! No joke, I have gained about 7 lbs. since I started working here in July. And believe me, those 7 lbs. are net. I have gained and lost probably 15! Ugh. Its so hard. If you don't eat anything, the whole dept turns on you.

But, I will be strong in the face of cake. I don't even like cake. It tastes bad.

I had a good UBWO yesterday. I planned to go for a little run (not 20 MAS) but my knee just wasn't up for it. I have the knees of a 95 year old! Tonight is my cardio, and I am really going to try to work on the intensity.

adriana --I can't believe we have someone from Israel. That is so cool. Good luck on your second challenge!

MzPen--I am in the same boat as you. I hate LBWO days b/c it puts stress on my knees. And I loathe squats and lunges (even though I know they are effective.) I try to do leg extensions and exercises where I don't have to use my body weight. I just feel more stable and less pain. Let us know what you find out!

JEC --Nice to find another accountant! Good luck with your masters. I am thinking about going back to school, but not yet. I may get my CPA someday, but I don't know if I am that ambitious!

Well, I should get back to work. Its almost time for my third meal today!

Oh! I forgot to mention the remainder of my day yesterday. Well, after I had the world's largest breakfast I felt icky for the rest of the day. Really icky. I think my body is getting used to little, healthy portions. It let me know that it was not happy. I guess that is good! I wasn't able to eat as many meals as I should have b/c my stomache was in turmoil. But, today I am back on track!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #51  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Post Adriana...

Under NORMAL circumstances you can get rid of bloating within 24 hrs but with what I am doing at the moment it is taking a bit longer. Don't worry though I am drink plenty of water between 5-6 litres a day. I drink it like a fish!

Mel: which Draper workout did you do?

JC
Old 01-09-2003, 06:16 PM   #52  
Mel

Default Dave Draper

Did both the "favorite" from BI,SS (I think it was also listed in one of his iron on-line emails, and the "classic". Both great, but time consuming. And for me, not to be done for more than a 4 week stretch.

I keep eyeing the bagels in the kitchen wondering if I could somehow magicall eat them now.... with cream cheese.

mel
Old 01-09-2003, 06:58 PM   #53  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Post hmmmm

I LOVE cream cheese! I have to go and get a company lunch now so NOT impressed!!

JC
Old 01-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #54  

Hello Ladies:
I am sorry to say that I have not had 6 meals today, I spent too much time in the rocery store earlier reading labels, I only had
whole wheat and bran shreddded wheat
1 cup FF milk
1 FF yogourt
1 orange
2servings of wheat uncle bens rice, with top round sirloin, and mixed japanese vegetables

I would say that I need more protein, before I o to bed, maybe some cott cheese and banana with cinnamon, Tomorrow I will be on track, because I am cookin my dinner and meals for tomorrow tonite.

Tomorrow is cardio yeah, My whole body aches. Oh yeah it is my TOM, and I still have lost 6 pounds, and it is not even 1 week yet cool .
Old 01-09-2003, 07:58 PM   #55  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation

Buff - are you planning your meals?

As for reading labels in the grocery store - that's great - but as long as you stick to the list on page 83 you shouldn't *have* to do that - as all those foods are 'clean'. For me shopping is actually pretty quick - because I know what I need, I know where it is, I get it and get out

It looks as though you need some help in that...because with the exception of the sirloin all I see are carbs! And not all good ones either. Sorry to say that milk (even skim milk) and shredded wheat are not authorized - milk is LOADED with sugar and is not an optimal carb source.

Here's what I want you to do - download the Daily Progress Reports at the BFL site http://www.bodyforlife.com/downloads.shtml <== there's the page for ya...

Read the book again - at least the Nutrition chapter including page 83 with the basic list of foods...

And WRITE DOWN what you plan to eat tomorrow on the Eating-for-Life Daily Progress Report - the left side is a 'planning' column and the right side is the 'doing' column.

Remember, it's:

6 meals
1 authorized protein and 1 authorized carb at each meal
Veggies in at least two meals

Try and keep fruit and yogurt down to 2 meals per day, and use mostly complex carbs such as oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes (white and sweet) and make sure you add protein...ya need to feed those muscles if you want them to grow and BURN THAT FAT, right? If you put your bod into starvation mode - your body will start burning muscle - thinking that there's a famine it will hold onto the fat and sacrifice the muscle.

I know, that if you're a veteran of the traditional 'diets' it's tough to shake that belief of "I must eat as little as possible to lose this weight". Think about it - you've been doing that all along right - and where has it gotten you? That's why you want to do BFL - because none of those 'traditional' ways have worked to your satisfaction. Keep in mind that that first 6 pounds you lost in a week is WATER WEIGHT - rather than fat weight. I strongly suggest tossing the scale for the next few weeks and relying on clothes size and progress photos...and of course hang out here and at L&S for info! I want to see you succeed!

More later everyone - gotta close up shop but I wanted to address Buff before I left work for the day...
Old 01-09-2003, 08:15 PM   #56  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Drat. I just bought some MetRX protein powder to mix with 1% milk to tote with me to school (in a thermos) for my midmorning meal. Oh well...live and learn.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:48 PM   #57  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Jennelle: Use water with the MRP and if it is really bad then add 1/4 cup of milk to make it taste better. Other than that I would stay away from MRP's entirely. I haven't had one in about 10 months.

JC
Old 01-09-2003, 09:56 PM   #58  
Uber-Moderator!!

Whew! I'm home now

I just re-read my last post and it sounded a bit harsh Sorry 'bout that...I should have added that your first 12 week Challenge is what I think of as 'school'. It takes that long to learn it and for the nutrition and workouts to become second nature, you know? Of course I can breeze thru the grocery store in 20 minutes - I've been doing this for 2 years so I've had LOTS of practice!

Carrie!! When I read your post I thought of last night's (well here anyway!) Seinfeld episode - it's the one where Elaine eats the slice of 1937 wedding cake that Peterman bought for $29,000? Remember the beginning - her co-workers were doing cake celebrations every day and it was driving her nuts

When I first came on board at my current job - there was food EVERYwhere - leftover meeting food and Krispy Kremes in the kitchen - and I go offsite a bit so I eat out a lot. Luckily I was able to tell my boss right from the get-go that I do NOT do the cake thing, you know the birthday parties. I didn't want to be the one to have to run out and buy a cake and waste half my day planning things like a cake for someone's birthday 12 times a year!! AAGHH! Hm, must be almost MY TOM!

Later y'all!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:37 AM   #59  

hiya everyone !!!

it's almost noon already here and i just got home from a great time at the gym.

i did a biceps and triceps workout today, really taking my time to concentrate on form. i'm very happy with the way i was able to push myself through those last reps.

then i hit the treadmill for 60 minutes. life takes on another dimension upon the treadmill with the headphones on. i watched a hallmark movie about queen victoria and prince albert and i felt like i had to land back on earth at the end of the 60 minutes !! lol

then i treated myself to a bit of time in the sauna and jacuzzi...... for these aching muscles. feels super good now.

we have a bat mitzvah to go to in a few hours..... my business partner's daughter is celebrating this important day today.

i must tell you that i had my first (and most probably last) meal replacement bar today. it was okay.... nothing beyond that. it was convenient in that i didn't have to come home and get a meal together. but i think i like getting the meal together much more than those bars!! it's from a company called MET-Rx, an american company. i've never been into replacements, supplements or anything like this (only vitamins and extra iron) and i don't think i'll get into them either. i much prefer the way of food.

for those of you with the weak knees, knee problems, weak lower thigh........ have faith!! if i could build up the strength and get rid of the aches and pains then all of you can also !!! i now do spinning, which was impossible for me to do 4 months ago. keep the faith and have a whole lot of patience!!

wishing you all a great Friday. see you later.

adriana
Old 01-10-2003, 09:48 AM   #60  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a list of the Authorized foods for our newbies....

Protein: Chicken Breast Turkey Breast Lean ground turkey Orange Roughy Swordfish Haddock Salmon Tuna Crab Lobster Shrimp Top round steak Top sirloin steak Lean ground beef Buffalo Lean Ham Egg whites or substitutes Low-fat Cottage Cheese

Carbohydrates: Baked Potato Sweet Potato Yam Squash Pumpkin Steamed Brown Rice Steamed Wild Rice Barley Whole Wheat Pasta Oatmea Corn Beans Peas MelonStrawberries Orange Apple Fat-free yogurt Whole-wheat bread

Vegetables: Broccoli Asparagus Lettuce Carrots Cauliflower
Green BeansGreen Peppers Mushrooms Spinach Tomato Artichoke Brussels Sprouts ZucchiniCabbage Celery Cucumber Onion

Choose a portion of protein and carbohydrates from each column to make a meal – have vegetables at least two meals per day..

I'll come back later and post more....

Later....
Closed Thread