3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Weight and Resistance Training

Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

New Rules of Weight Lifting - Anyone doing it now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #331
Starting OVER!
 
blackbutterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 154

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6

Default

Hi ladies just wanted to pop in for a quick hello! I just picked this book up last night and I'm SO EXCITED to get started.. I love lifting <3
__________________
blackbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #332
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

I was super stoked to start Stage 5 today! Back to the dumbbell snatches. And 4 reps--yay, heavy weight time! And a new low time on the body weight matrix: 2:24. So fun.

Honestly, I find the B workout in stage 3/5 to be boring, so I'll have to suck it up and get through those. But the A workout is my favorite in the program so far.

Looking forward to stage 6, too. Once I got to my first chin-up, I kind of wandered away from training them, because I'm usually so beat from these workouts. I'd like to get back to having that as my focus.

blackbutterfly: Welcome!

Last edited by sumire : 04-29-2012 at 07:14 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #333
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

OK, discovered by accident today: I can do a pistol squat!

I was talking with a fit friend of mine this evening & mentioned pistol squats. He said, "What's a pistol squat?" I said, "Well, I can't really do one, but it kind of goes like--" *to my amazement, I bust out a pistol squat* "Well, ok, like that."

I'm going to give NROL4W the credit for this one, because I tried back in January to do one & couldn't. I'm getting better leg strength than I expected on this program, and the balance moves (which I normally find a little annoying, honestly-- you can't pull as much weight when you're also trying to balance!) apparently have their place, too.

I think the 3B/5B workouts that I just complained about may be a little bit more fun now that I get to work on pistol squats as my single-leg squat move.

Last edited by sumire : 04-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #334
Here I come size 4!
 
MellowJello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 29

S/C/G: 141/141/120

Height: 5'1"

Default

I'm on my 6th week. I love it for the most part, but the 15 rep weeks are just brutal.
MellowJello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #335
Member
 
smad11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

Default

I'm finally finishing stage one! Just have the amrap sets to do Wed and Fri and I'm supposed to take a week off before stage 2. I think I'll still hit the gym and do cardio though. Dont want to get out of my routine! I can definitely tell that im a lot stronger than I was at the beginning... Or maybe ever! I'm able to do a set of 8 regular pushups which I have never been able to do! Havent noticed any changes on the scale at all yet... Probably because I haven't cleaned up my eating habits properly.... So hard for me... Ahh well just have to keep trying.
__________________
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #336
Senior Member
 
Lackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 239

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Default

Hey Ladies! I started this and did stage 1 workout A and then was unable to get to workout B the next week and now I am all off track. So, my question is, I feel like I should just start over with workout A.

Any thoughts on this? I love all the workouts, I just need to make more time for my workouts even though the first workouts took me probably 20 minutes. Thanks!
__________________
MINI GOALS
180
165-'OVERWEIGHT'
RUN A 5K
150
135-'NORMAL BMI'
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #337
is a persistent thistle
 
Thistleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 319

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Default

Hello ladies!

I started this program back in February and loved it, but I'm doing it at home and was concerned about my form. I couldn't do a proper squat and since that's such a basic and important move I stopped and focused on working on that. Now I'm good to go and ready to jump in with both feet. Thing is, step-ups and I simply do not get along. They make my right knee make terrible crunchy noises and I'm just not keen to take them on again knowing that. Add to it, I don't have a proper surface to step up on. Any suggestions for step-up substitutes? They're really the only thing holding me back.
__________________
Mini Goal:


Started 10/21/12

Mordor Challenge : 73 miles
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #338
Member
 
smad11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

Default

Hey Thistleberry,

Maybe a one-legged squat, or one-legged deadlift? The step is similar to a lunge in the muscle group that it works... so maybe a static lunge might work, if you're doing more of a walking lunch in workout A?

Good Luck!
__________________
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #339
Member
 
smad11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

Default

Hey Lackie,

I'm not sure if I understood you right... you should be switching from workout A to workout B as you go along... so Monday workout A, Wednesday workout B etc. If you missed and entire week it really is up to you whether you want to start again, or just keep going from where you left off. If you've only done one workout so far, you could keep going and it probably won't matter...

Good luck!
__________________
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #340
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackie View Post
Hey Ladies! I started this and did stage 1 workout A and then was unable to get to workout B the next week and now I am all off track. So, my question is, I feel like I should just start over with workout A.
Yes, I'd start over. It's just one workout to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
Hello ladies!
Thing is, step-ups and I simply do not get along. They make my right knee make terrible crunchy noises and I'm just not keen to take them on again knowing that. Add to it, I don't have a proper surface to step up on. Any suggestions for step-up substitutes? They're really the only thing holding me back.
Maybe this will help? : http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread....p+substitut e

Quote:
Originally Posted by smad11 View Post
I'm finally finishing stage one! Just have the amrap sets to do Wed and Fri and I'm supposed to take a week off before stage 2. I think I'll still hit the gym and do cardio though. Dont want to get out of my routine! I can definitely tell that im a lot stronger than I was at the beginning... Or maybe ever! I'm able to do a set of 8 regular pushups which I have never been able to do!
High five!
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #341
Senior Member
 
LindsB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 847

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

Default

I am so frustrated this morning! The past 3 lifting workouts every dumbbell I pick up feels so heavy! I feel like I've lost some of my strength or something! What is going on? For the past 2 weeks i've only been lifting 2x's per week because I was in the middle of a big house project...is this why? I hope I get back to feeling normal because it sucks to feel like you are back sliding!!!!
__________________
On a "scale-vacation" until May
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #342
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsB View Post
I am so frustrated this morning! The past 3 lifting workouts every dumbbell I pick up feels so heavy! I feel like I've lost some of my strength or something! What is going on? For the past 2 weeks i've only been lifting 2x's per week because I was in the middle of a big house project...is this why? I hope I get back to feeling normal because it sucks to feel like you are back sliding!!!!
Sometimes it just happens, though 3 times in a row does seem a bit much. I usually find when I'm lifting only 2x/wk I'm usually stronger and fresher at each workout, because I've had more recovery time.

Are you getting enough sleep? Are you stressed? How's the eating? At a large deficit, of course, you could find it difficult to keep the weights up. Does your house project involve you actually doing work on your house? You could be using up some of your energy / food fuel for that.

Hope it gets sorted soon. I know those workouts are a bummer.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #343
Senior Member
 
wannaBfitnessbuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Default

So I did workout 7 today which was stage 1 workout A4, this means I have completed half of the A workouts in stage 1! I am definitely already seeing strength gains. I know that since you go down in reps it makes sense you can lift more weight, but I think it is more that that. I really love this program and look forward to sticking through it this time (I did the first stage last spring then got a second job and dropped the ball completely).

I was supposed to lift today's lifts on monday, and didn't make it to the gym till thursday! I would like to catch up and wonder what people think of lifting everyother day until I am back on schedule? So I'd lift sat, Then mon-wed-fri-sun, then tues-thurs-sat. Or would that perhaps be overdoing it? Otherwise I'll just lift saturday and call it a 2 lift week and resume m/w/f next week and those after.
__________________
Mini Goal # 1
-Started 3/8/13

Re-Start and learn to love myself along the way! 3/8/13
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #344
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBfitnessbuff View Post
So I did workout 7 today which was stage 1 workout A4, this means I have completed half of the A workouts in stage 1! I am definitely already seeing strength gains. I know that since you go down in reps it makes sense you can lift more weight, but I think it is more that that.
Woohoo!

Quote:
I was supposed to lift today's lifts on monday, and didn't make it to the gym till thursday! I would like to catch up and wonder what people think of lifting everyother day until I am back on schedule? So I'd lift sat, Then mon-wed-fri-sun, then tues-thurs-sat. Or would that perhaps be overdoing it? Otherwise I'll just lift saturday and call it a 2 lift week and resume m/w/f next week and those after.
There's no rush to finish the program, right? I find that the occasional 2-lift week does me good, actually.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #345
Senior Member
 
LindsB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 847

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

Default

sumire- Definitely feeling stressed and not getting enough sleep. I had a bachelorette part last weekend and I think it really took a toll on me all week. It is so hard to recovery from a night of next to no sleep and drinking! Glad I don't do it very often any more. I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow morning. It's my last workout of Stage 3. I REALLY want to finish Stage 4 before I leave for vacation. I only have 3 weeks though. It will definitely be pushing it, but I think I can make it happen.

I also don't think I've been getting a proper amount of protein. Too much carbs lately. Trying to get all of that back on track too!

I'm definitely not giving up!!! How are you doing???
__________________
On a "scale-vacation" until May
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My weight removal journey sharonrr1 Goal! 28 04-09-2009 02:57 AM
Unhealthy Relationship w/ Food Extasee58865 Weight Loss Support 41 11-18-2008 01:00 PM
One Hundred Push ups training program! suitejudyblueeyes Exercise! 181 08-18-2008 01:34 PM
lifting to failure gatsby Weight and Resistance Training 73 09-19-2004 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2