Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 03:58 PM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Smile Newbie!

Hello all...

I have been a regular poster at 3FC for about two years now, and I FINALLY went to the Body for Life website. I was impressed! It looks like just what I need to help me get motivated and stay motivated, without going off on all kinds of cockamamie "diets." So, I will be starting my first round of Body for Life on Monday, December 30.

Truthfully, my goal is to just make it through the first round! At one time, I was fairly athletic, but now I weigh 238 lbs. and have a brand new Bowflex gathering dust in the corner of the living room. (Bowflex - the world's most expensive laundry basket! ) I'm hoping to get hubby involved too, as the doctor told him he could probably get off his BP meds if he'd just lose aobut 40 lbs.

Any words of advice from you folks who are old hat at this BFL thing?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:13 AM   #2  

Default Welcome!

Hi Jenelle!

My 1st piece of advice would be to get the book and read it front to back. Then follow it without fail, without tweeking, without letting anything or anybody stop you! You will find out more about yourself in the next 12 weeks than you ever thought possible. Next, take pictures - NOW. This is very important for tracking results. Sometimes when we think we're not getting anywhere, looking at our 'befores' is a great way to see the results we are 'sure' we're not seeing in the mirror! Next, post/read this board everyday! I read everyday, but cannot keep up with these prolific posters! I find all kinds of fun and helpful tips here. Also, did you read the sticky Karen/Mrs.Jim posted regarding general BFL info? That's a good resource too.

Welcome again! And hope to see you around!
Old 12-29-2002, 10:28 AM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Niffer - Thanks for the welcome! I did read the sticky, and it was very helpful.

My daughter is going to take pictures of me this afternoon in my two-piece, if I can still fit into it! I'm sure it will be downright scary. I also took my measurements this morning, as I know that fat loss doesn't necessarily show up on the scale when you're building muscle mass.

I don't know how in the h-e-double-toothpicks I ever got to this point...Three years ago I was running on a regular basis and weighed between 160 and 165. Here I am, three years later, weighing 238 and barely squeezing my fat a$$ into a size 18. Ugh. It's up to me to turn it around, though. I realized something yesterday: It's never been a matter of "can't" - it's always been a matter of "won't." No more.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/153.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Jenelle

I too want to start this program tomorrow. I've been searching the net for recipes & I'm going to follow this one day at a time.

I'm going to have hubby take before pics - if he can stop laughing long enough to do so!!!

I picked up the book at the library & am trying to get as much info as possible from everywhere.

Well here's to us & I hope to see you here alot.

We can do this because we're worth it

maureen
Old 12-29-2002, 12:14 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi there!

Let me extend a welcome to you!

As has been said - spend the weekend reading the book - and DO NOT skip the chapter on "crossing the abyss". This is SO important - the mental aspect of the program - often it's the difference between success and failure.

I also highly recommend taking before photos and measurements (you don't have to LOOK at the photos - if you have an 'old-fashioned' film camera - just don't take the film into the developers for awhile). I wouldn't rely too much on scale weight - most people who do tend to get very discouraged due to the way BFL works - if you are new at weight training, you will build muscle first which weighs more than fat - but that new muscle will start chewin' away at the fat 24/7 and YOWSA!

Another tip - I recommend keeping a journal - keep track of your workouts and eating (you can use the worksheets/progress reports from the book or download them for free at the BFL site). What I recommend is before you go to bed, write down your planned menus for the next day, then STICK TO THEM. Planning ahead is a KEY factor towards success.

And please visit here and at www.leanandstrong.com often for inspiration! You CAN do this!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:40 AM   #6  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Jennelle,
It is not easy at all, but it is worth it. My advice to you would be this, really, really follow the book. Also you are starting at a very good time, unfortunately I started at a bad time sort of, because for the last two weeks I have been totally off program. Eating what I want, and not working out, bad, bad, bad, however I am back on track now and determined to do better, however during my hiatus I gained back fat, not a whole lot, but enough to make me angry at myself.
However, each day is a new day, and I have not blown the whole plan, just those days I gave up. Today is a new day and I will make it. Take a look in www.leanandstrong.com and go to pictures, than transformations, you will be amazed. Pam Brown is an awesome example, as is our dear moderator MrsJim and all these other shining examples on this thread. They are all more than willing to give you advice and help you in anyway, do not be afraid to ask.
Again Welcome and you can and will do it!
Virginia
Old 12-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #7  

Hi everyone...I'm a newbie here and will be starting my first BFL challenge mid-January (going on vacation next week). I just wanted to say hello! I look forward to getting to know you folks. It's been a few years since I worked out with weights so I am a little nervous but I am excited to see the changes and grow stronger and leaner of course...my ultimate goal is to lose 35 pounds of fat before Memorial Day I have come down from 215 to 190 over the last year. Now I am focused on working off the 35 pounds of fat and putting some firm muscle in its place.

Last edited by LadyRacer94; 12-30-2002 at 08:21 PM.
Closed Thread