Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #76  
Mel

Cheryl, you beat me to the punch. I was going to tell Shannon the same thing. We have a really gorgeous fireman at our Xfit...I'd volunteer to carry him! That workout does look brutal. The KTEs do in my shoulders.

I just discovered that I did the Sectionals workout too heavy. RX for the snatches for my ancient age class is 10 pounds less than what I did. I get to do it again!!!

Rhonda- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you at the doc tomorrow- hope it is an easy fix!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

The MD says that the calcification in my leg, below the knee, is a reaction to stress because the lower leg is compensating for the quad not working hard enough. I said "wait a minute, I have great quads!" He laughed and agreed but said that the right one is being a bit lazy. He gave me some simple exercises to do 500 times a day (yes, 500 times for each of 2 exercises). They are simple muscle tightening and relaxing routines. He said do them for two weeks, take an anti-inflammatory and let him know if it helps or not.

The elbow pain is simple tendonitis.

So, off to the see the trainer this afternoon!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #78  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Shannon, you carry a fireman...duh! Just kidding, sorry, dumb joke.
Now I have a picture of Cheryl and Mel running across a gym carrying big, burly firemen over their shoulders. Love it!

Cheryl - I'm glad the workout went well!

Mel - on the heavy workout!

Rhonda - hope the exercises help.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #79  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Triceps...broken! Ugh...between the dips and the push-ups, I'm dying from DOMS today! The bad news is, I'm supposed to do the Sectionals wod today, since my back was out last week. Will try some tylenol and rubbing alcohol, see if I can get the arms loosened up, since my left shoulder is getting a jabbing pain from the overhead movement..just something tight that's pulling, I'm sure, but I don't want to rip something loose trying to do those snatches.

Mel, sorry to hear you have to repeat the wod, but good luck, hope you get a little more this time around with the lighter weight.

We're currently following a few weeks' worth of old wods from the CFdotcom site. Yesterday's wod was 15 medball cleans, 15 wallball, 5 rounds for time. Ugh. I really wanted a rest day yesterday, but since I hatehatehate both of those exercises, had to go in and do the wod, otherwise my trainer would give me no end of grief about it.

(TMI alert! Guys close your eyes and skip this last bit!) This getting old thing is for the birds. Last month I had TOM for 13 days, then 9 days off, now I'm on TOM day 20! It's driving me crazy! Not hormonally, but more like, SERIOUSLY?!!! I don't have medical insurance or any money for a doctor visit, so I might have to swallow my pride and go apply for medicaid or whatever it's called at the welfare office, to see if I can go see a doc and get something done about it. This is just ridiculous and emotionally draining...yeesh! The good news is, I feel fine, it's just seriously annoying.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #80  

Cheryl, re, TMI: there is no shame in getting medicaid. (I'll spare you my rant about the superiority of the Canadian health care system for matters such as this.) Go to the doctor or see a nurse practitioner.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #81  

One thing that amazes me is how much it takes out of me to increase the weight on chest presses by a small amount. For example, I lifted 70 pounds (including bar) for 12 reps twice, getting a little tired on the 7th rep on both sets, but able to do it.

Then yesterday, I increased the weight by only 5 pounds for the same reps and you would have thought I'd doubled the weight in terms of how tired I felt. I was able to do it at the time, but within 10 minutes I was tired
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #82  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: I'm with Rhonda on this. Please go apply so that you can get help and information from a physician. This has be to be exhausting both physically and emotionally. You do so much to take care of yourself and you do it very well. Sometimes though we need a little help in the process. Please go.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #83  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Thanks, ladies. I will go and try, just not looking forward to it, and the only way I can get approved is if this qualifies as a "medical emergency" in their book. It would be nice to have it under control, though, or at least find out if it's normal and just a passing phase.

Well, that hero wod with all the dips and pull-ups and push-ups crippled me up last week, not permanently, but it kept me locked up for days. I took 2 rest days this weekend, ready to start fresh, and I see the wod for today at our gym is another mainsite wod from the archives, involving 150 squats, 105 pull-ups, 45 ring dips. I've never outright refused to do a wod, and I'm not about to start, but I might have to beg for mercy on this one, as I've GOT to be well enough to get a long run in this week, and not be broken when I do it. I also have a lot of pruning to do this week, at home and for work, and could stand for my triceps and shoulders to be available and functional for the task. lol!

I'm going to try running to the gym and back home one day this week. Not the best scenery, but there are bathrooms and water at convenient intervals, which means I don't have to carry a 20 lb pack. That will be 24 miles, and my longest run to date. It will be a good test for nutrition, hydration, electrolytes, to see if I'm closing in on a plan that works for me.

Rhonda, I'm with you on the chest presses. We don't do them often, but when we do, it's usually floor presses (since we only have 2 benches in the gym, not enough for everyone to bench press at once), and I'm always humbled by how quickly the bar seems to double in "weight".
Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #84  
Workin' It

Cheryl - definitely apply for it and get to the doctor. Is there a health department near you? You could probably see a doctor there for a slightly lower price point if you get turned down.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #85  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Cheryl, not only is it seriously annoying to have your period for weeks on end, it is likely to leave you at least slightly anemic (maybe very, if the flow is heavy), which will have a direct negative consequence on your workouts. Just sayin'.

I've been off my game ever since I finished the NROL4W workouts. I think I really need the structure that those workouts gave me (x reps, y sets, keep upping the weight a little each week...). Now that I'm on my own, I don't have nearly as good a routine, but hate to just keep mindlessly repeating the ones in the book. And, as previously mentioned by me, I'm really not anxious to get more mass and definition, just to build strength and stamina.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #86  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Shannon and Neurodoc, thanks for the advice/ideas. Hadn't thought about being anemic.

@Neurodoc, if you're bored with your workouts, it's not everybody's cup of tea, but you might check out Crossfit(dot)com. They and many of their affliliates post daily workouts, it's a lot of variety, which keeps it fun, and a mix of lifting, bodyweight stuff, gymnastics, etc. Might give you some ideas for spicing things up. You might also check out Gymnastics wod (aka Gymwod) and Mobility wod (mwod), for some little extras you might enjoy adding to your program.

I ended up doing the squat/pull-up/dips wod yesterday, since I just couldn't think of a good substitute for it, and I can't run till Thursday or Friday, anyway. Took me 28 minutes, but only because my grip is weak on pull-ups, so I had to do them in sets of 3, 2, and eventually 1 at a time. :P In retrospect, that was just counterproductive, as far as improving my grip strength. I should have used a band so I could get 10 in a row or something like that, but I jumped in with the group start last minute, and didn't have time to fiddle with figuring which band to use.

I did ask my trainer afterward, what I should do about some of the wods killing my legs for the runs/ultra training, and he said I should definitely feel free to make substitutions as needed, so I can do what I need to do for the ultra training. He said he understands that I need to make that a priority/specialize right now, and he's glad to help me come up with alternatives to the assigned wods if I need help with it in the future.

Today they are doing heavy thrusters, and I figure I should not do the heavy squatting bit if I want a good long run later this week, so I'm going to sub OH Press/Push Press/Jerk, then get in a little hill training. That seems a good trade for me, and it's been a while since I did heavy strict presses. Maybe I can get a new 3RM on that one, if it's a good day!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #87  

Cheryl, it sounds like your trainer did exactly what a good trainer ought to do.

Thanks for the web site suggestions. It's always helpful to have those resources.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #88  
Workin' It

Neurodoc - check out the workout plans on this website, too - stumptuous.com - I have used the DB workouts and the 3 day FB (the one with the light/medium/heavy day) pretty often, am actually back on the 'lo-tech a*s busting' DB circuit wokouts again now. I haven't done the splits, but I've looked at them. I also like some of the Women's Health workouts. I also need structure, or I go a little crazy. I've used the Crossfit exercises and built my own workouts before, too.

Cheryl - I didn't think about anemia, but that is a consideration. Do you take an iron supplement? Women run short of it a lot. I agree that heavy squatting is a bad idea before a long run - I did much lighter squat thrusts on Saturday than the ones I imagine that you will be doing and it made my run on Monday difficult. There were other factors too, but it would have made a long run Monday hard even at my best point.

I got back into my strength training on Saturday, after being away from it since March 1st - I kickboxed instead of strength the first week in March because I was at the end of my program and was going to redesign, then got sick for a few days, then did some more kickboxing the end of the second week, then rolled right into taper week for my half with no strength there either. So Saturday was hard - I decided to go back to the 3 day per week DB circuit workout I've been doing, and my inner thighs are sore. I think I'm going to go back to posting my workout here for a little while and see if you guys have any feedback for me. Like neurodoc, I also feel a little off my game right now so any suggestions appreciated. I'll separate it from my other chatter with a line for those who want to skip the details.

I'm thinking I'll do another four weeks of this DB circuit, to give me time to plan or hunt down another workout schedule. I like this one, it fits in nicely timewise, and it made my calves really pop by the end of six weeks of it at the end of February. I know I need to mix it up a little again, though. Hm.
__________________________________________________ _______________
My Saturday workout:

WH calisthenics warm up - 10 squat, 10 pushup, 10 window washers, 10 mountain climber, 10 good morning, 5 lunge l&r, 10 'spiderman'

DB circuit a from Routine 2 (All Dumbbells All The Time from stumptuous.com):
8 rounds of the following in 20:35
Db swing 10x20lb
Db squat press 4x10x20 lb per for 4 rounds/10x15 lb per for 4 rounds
Horizontal pullup 10 (use my barbell on the squat rack for these)

40 crunches
40 reverse crunches
20 single leg bridge, 10 per side

10.1 miles on the bike

30 minutes of hip opener yoga before bed

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #89  
Mel

I have HUGE bruises on each arm from yesterday's kettle bell snatch fest. Today starts WOD 2 for Crossfit sectionals and I feel broken from yesterday.

Cheryl- When I was doing marathon training, I dropped heavy legs days out of my split completely. That was back in body building type workout days, but the principle is the same. The hard part about combining it with Crossfit is that every day is leg day, back day, chest day, arm day, ab day Have you looked at the endurance WODS?

Heading to my work marathon

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #90  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For various reasons, I've only done CF 2xweek for the past few weeks. Yesterday, we did push presses which I haven't done in a while and I feel it today. I promised someone I'd go tonight and it involves a bunch of burpees I had a small accident this morning and fell. My back feels a bit tweaked so we will see.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote