Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #16  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Rhonda: Oh Yes! As soon as you mention cable with I"m assuming a weight stack...it's clear. I was picturing dumb bells with more of a bulgarian split squat movement.

Hmmm. Reds. I've used Laura Ashley LA318 Summer Pudding which is pretty red. Some have described it as ox blood red. It actually has a little bit of a more yellow undertone to it which seemed to work well with my other colors. The second red I'm considering is a Valspar Posh Red 1011-4 which seems to be much deeper in color. Think sexy red nail polish red. I"m leaning toward that one for the foyer and to surround the fireplace. If it's a bust you'll all hear me curse the moment it dries. I still have a few weeks to test the colors.

I like the description of your kitchen. I really enjoy those colors and creativity inspire. How fun. Cobalt blue is really beautiful.

Elana: Your colors sound like a lot fun too. Since your a painting pro wanna help?

Shannon: Enjoy the opera! Sounds like a good plan if rain is in the forecast. Also know that rest days always have a way of finding us too.

Tons of yard work here to do today and I really need to finish painting a walk in closet. DH wants his office back this weekend. Sigh.

It's all good. I'll be in the gym tomorrow along with a great yoga class as a finisher.

Enjoy the day folks.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Lydia, yes, there is a weight stack. Guess who can't do much weight yet? But, at least I'm standing up now and not falling all over the place. I'm also pushing through the heel more productively. This exercise is really my bete noir. How I can do squats with 40 pounds and have trouble with this one is very irritating. But, I'm learning.

Red nail polish red....gotta love it.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #18  
Workin' It

Ooo, I love the vision of red nail polish red paint. I had red in my living room at my last apartment, and my bedroom is red at our house now. Love it. It is supposed to be good for positive energy and chi and stuff.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #19  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Shannon,
which opera did you go to see? I LOVE opera. Especially if it's Verdi.

I'm Not Really A Waitress is my favourite red nail polish. The colour is spectacular. (It's OPI, as you may have guessed from the name).

Spinning class in the morning and swimming at lunch. Maybe I should hop on the treadmill in the evening to make it a mini-triathlon day?
But the idea of a third shower in one day does not excite me.

Anybody watched Fear Factor last night? In all the years it has been running I probably see 2 or 3 episodes (years ago). I watched last night out of desperation as I could not find anything better and the contestants had to eat a slice of pizza that consisted of:
crust = bovine stomach
sauce = coagulated blood
toppings = either live worms or fish eyes
There was also some rancid cheese on top. It looked truly disgusting (and they all puked it out afterwards). But hey, it was a lot of protein, no? THe worms looked crunchy.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #20  

Alena! From Verdi to fish eyes and crunchy worms! You are a real woman of the world!!!

My mother wore Revlon's "Love That Red" nail polish all the time I knew her.

Our temperature is in the 70's; I'm going outside to plant something.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #21  
Kallos Sthenos

Rhonda: The difficulty you are experiencing with the split squat row is very very normal. In fact...as I read the description the first thing I thought of was some of my personal training sessions with GoFitness under Charlie's (my trainer) tutelage. Most frustrating experience ever. Here I am, very strong and the fitest I've ever been and he has me dying and on my knees over these crazy functional training exercises and I'm only using a 10 pound dumb bell or maybe 10 pounds on a weight stack. Serious head trip.

Here's the thing, with this you are using so much to balance yourself and use muscles in corrective ways. I found it exhausting both physically and neurologically after my workouts. But I learned and improved so much as a result. See!~ I KNEW you had a good trainer. :

Alena: Hope I never sees those selections on a menu during pizza night with the boys.

What a great name for a nail polish color.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #22  

Lydia, thanks for sharing Oh, the humiliation of it all! It takes me two full days to recover from the total body workout. The upper body emphasis isn't so taxing. Yesterday I did that one, then had a massage. I felt slightly sick last night even though the massage had not been deep tissue but Swedish. I think in the future I'll have a day between a workout and a massage.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #23  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hello, ladies!

Been missing you all. Looks like the same old suspects still hitting it hard in the gym and getting stronger and fitter.

The update from here, I'll try to keep it short (haha):
Signed myself up for a 50 mile ultramarathon run June 4, so have been training for that, while keeping up with the Crossfit and strongman training. Also signed myself up for the strongman/CF competition at my gym in the fall (went ahead and paid my entry so I don't end up like last year where I trained and wanted to compete, then had no work and couldn't spare the entry fee...doh!).
Been running and working out harder than ever, but then I'm hungrier than ever, so must be over-eating or too many calories somewhere, cuz I'm just sitting about 175-180 lbs..grr! Trying to dial in the diet and just ignore the hungries..some days I win, some I don't, but I'll keep on fighting for it. I could really, really benefit from dropping 15-20 lbs before that frickin 50 mile run!

Lifting Stuff:
Been having a weekly smackdown with my trainer's wife, doing one max lift, usually for a 1RM if we're feeling it that day. Got a DL PR @253, Back Squat 3RM PR @170, 1RM @175 when we did Steinborn lifts. Overhead stuff, plus cleans and snatches are still pretty weak comparatively, but the shoulder's been staying healthy, so those are slowly coming back. Been working the Strongman stones, got a PR loading the 175# stone, which was a 2011 goal, now working the 200#, got that one in my lap and stood up with it, but couldn't get it high enough on my chest to load it. Soon, though, soon!

CF stuff:
Been helping out some when my trainer is gone, running the wod so his wife can run the On Ramp classes or just when she needs a break. Took the Oly Lifting cert with Coach B at our gym recently. It was super fun, great trainers, Coach B is a hoot...a few of us went to Starbucks and to dinner at my trainer's house Saturday night, it was fun. Todd W started up a CFKids program at our gym, and I've been helping out with that. Couldn't pass up a chance to work with Todd...he's an awesome coach and one of the best people you could hope to meet. Not sure yet if I'll be a good kids trainer, but I'm having fun so far and have a little time to think about it before the kids' cert in May.

Home stuff:
My boy is 14. Some days I want to kill him, other days he seems like his old, happy, helpful self. Jealous of all the house painting and pretty colors. I'm still living with white walls. Would love to take some time and money out to spiff up the old place this summer. I also have nice little daydreams about summer weather, a trimmed up yard, and nothing to do but cookout or sit by a nice little fire in the fire pit. Yeah, probably not gonna happen, but a girl can dream!

Next weekend a couple of guys from our gym are fighting at a community college up north, one MMA fight and one Muy Thai (thai boxing) fight, respectively. A couple of us went last month to watch them, my first time, and I loved it! There were a couple of girl bouts and the girls were awesome, much more aggressive and fun to watch than the guys, lol. So, we're going again, planning to go out to eat some evil burgers first, then watch the fight.

I think that's all the news from here. I'll try to remember to check in more often.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #24  
Kallos Sthenos

Cheryl: Great to see your post. The volume of work you must be doing for all of this is amazing. Really impressive strength gains while training for endurance. You totally rock. It's no wonder you are needing to take in more food right now.

I can only imagine how much fun you are also having while running the WOD. You will make an awesome kids trainer as well. Can't wait to hear all those stories so go make it happen.

So far I still have a great 12 year old but the edge of the teenager about to enter the room has introduced himself a couple of times. I may need to borrow your frying pan in a couple of months.

Do not give in to the daydreams of a perfect summer day and a trimmed yard. It exists only for the Home Depot commercials.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #25  

Cheryl, I enjoyed your post also. I looked up Steinborn lifts; what will people think of next?! While I was browsing I saw videos of women deadlifting twice their body weight. I'll be happy if I just get to doing body weight!

I agree with Lydia and am betting that you'll do really well with the kids. I look forward to hearing your stories. Good luck with the certification.

Ah, teenagers. The best we can hope for is that our children will have children and will be paid back in spades!!

On the home front here, I did 60 pounds with the split squat to row yesterday. Other than stumbling everywhere and getting jerked back toward the weight stack, I did OK I'm going to the gym later to do HIIT on the elliptical and the upper body workout.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #26  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah Rhonda, Lydia beat me to the punch on why split squats (never mind with rows!) are hard - you're working to keep yourself balanced and upright on that leg. THey are my nemesis.

Cheryl - good to hear from you. You are one busy woman!

Love all the talk of colors. We painted most of the inside of our house about 3 years ago, and I'm in no hurry to do it again. Last summer we had the two worst sides - South and East - painted. They get full sun much of the day and were faded and flaky. Looks much better now.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #27  

If the link works, it's a demo of split squat to row, which everyone has figured out by now anyway. I get much lower than he does in this demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCO9UJ_Dio
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #28  
Kallos Sthenos

Yep. There it is. Thanks for the link Rhonda. Remember to keep your shoulders squared and abs tight. Some exercises still haunt me.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #29  

Oh yes, shoulders and abs..also look UP, not at the cable attachment or floor; push from the heel; not the ball of the foot; use the pistol grip, not overhand; and do two sets of 12 at least; increase the weight over time; don't fall over!

Last edited by Tejas; 03-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #30  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
If the link works, it's a demo of split squat to row, which everyone has figured out by now anyway. I get much lower than he does in this demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCO9UJ_Dio
Thanks, as I wasn't following.

My accent's a bit like his. Such a surprise, as I was expecting a Texan!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote