Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #1  
Mel

Default February - MORE Snow????

One month closer to spring!

Yesterday I missed Crossfit due to icy train rails. I think my anger burned as many calories. Did a quick body weight workout when I got home. Not quite the same, but something.

Have a good one-

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

We even have it here. 22F and about 2 inches of snow, with ice under it.

Funny, our newspapers call it "Artic" but my northern friends are blaming Texas
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

No snow here in SoCal. Fricking cold out (43 isn't really cold, I know) but all that snow is slowing down the mailman who is carrying my acceptance or rejection from Veterinary School. I feel your pain.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Did my shoveling this morning. It always seems so pointless when the forecast is for 10-14 more inches!

Been hitting it hard here. Down to goal weight this morning (140), although because I've been low-carbing it I know water and glycogen levels in my muscles are way down. The next carb refeed (tonight through tomorrow), I'll gain at least 3 pounds of water weight. I'm not changing my profile quite yet! But, goal is in sight, with 2 weeks to go to vacation and a much-needed diet and training break.

//b. strong
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  

Temperature is falling, wind is howling, and so it goes.

The bird food is frozen in the feeders from the ice. So, I spread seed and peanuts, defrosted the bird bath and the yard is full of crows, jays, cardinals, sparrows, chickadees, warblers, etc...all of them looking cold and hungry. Do I see gratitude in their little eyes?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Rhonda: So funny that you should mention the word Gratitude in your post this morning. It is exactly how I'm feeling at this moment which these days has been a rare thing for me. But for some odd reason I'm just feeling very centered, calm and just plain grateful for many things. Must be a good word for these day. Or, maybe it's a combination of a great night sleep, a minor drop on the scale, some really good coffee and my light box glowing on the table next to me. :

I'm sure the birds are very grateful. Hmmm. Maybe I should consider this for my little friends outside too.

Kim: Congrats on your gylcogen depleation. That just sounds so weird. But I totally get it. It does seem silly to keep clearing the driveway. I did that a lot last year but in the back of my mind I just kept thinking about my trip to Puerto Rico with every shovel...just keep thinking about Hawaii.

Mel: You made me laugh. Release the anger Mel...this would have been a great moment to do some vinyasas. LOL. I can just see you getting all worked up over missing CrossFit. Honestly though I am so inspired by your follow though to get that workout in anyway at home.

Getting late in the morning and I've got a lot to cover today. Make it a great one everyone.

Last edited by Lydia227; 02-01-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lydia, I was going to ask if the storm is already raging in your area then I realized you are no longer in Ohio. We expect a foot tomorrow. Ugh. I can hardly control my enthusiasm.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

Alena: Oh but my heart certainly is still in Ohio. As my mom puts it, "You have one foot in VA and the rest of you in Columbus." Anyway. Yes, Central Ohio got some ice and the kids are out of school today. Mine are too but it was a planned day off for Teacher Grading Day. Worked out well, my son and his best friend from Columbus were able to play "MineCraft" online together. Great fun. Love how I'm able to keep everyone connected through cell phones and the Internet. :

We were supposed to get something this AM and this evening but so far nothing. It's really grey out though and I got about half of my driveway shoveled out from the last downfall. It's mostly ice underneath so it's very slow going. Great endurance workout though.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #9  
Mel

Lydia- according to dd, you aren't missing a good time in Columbus. She said that she had to chip 3/4 of an inch of ice off her car and the streets in German Village are a nightmare!

Made it to Crossfit tonight for a brutal metcon. Yuck.

More ice expected tonight.... I am GRATEFUL for my garage!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #10  

Ah, yes, garages are great. 34 years in Toronto without a garage, scraping ice off the car, digging out from the snow plow, getting stuck in snow banks...too much!

We have ice and snow, and a temperature of 18.8F expected to go down to 9F, the coldest in a decade. I tried to go out to the gym but the streets were ice rinks so I came back home. I then learned that even the gym was closed; no one could get there to open the doors!

Keep that light box glowing, Lydia. I'm trying to concentrate the complex carbs in the morning and not to eat after 7PM.Tough, actually!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

Rhonda: That sound serious! When even the gym is closed it's almost as if the whole city has shut down. And seriously, you lived in Toronto without a garage. I always am most thankful for my garage and the fact that we can get both cars in it when the weather is nasty. Hang in there with the two new changes to your eating routine. Be patient with yourself. These are tough ones in my opinion.

Mel: Uhm. Yeah. German Village is a beautiful area but the narrow cobblestone roads are a treacherous. She probably has every ice removal gizmo ever made for the car. At least I know I would. Yikes. But just in case:

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?it...T&itemID=13932
http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?it...roductID=14722
http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?it...roductID=13224

Off to do legs today. Grateful for rain today instead of ice.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #12  

Yep, no garage. I lived close to downtown Toronto in a house built in the 20's. Most people who live in houses (not apartments or condos) do not have garages, park on the street and pay for the privilege. People who live further away from downtown do have garages, just like other civilized people do
Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #13  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Harrummph. Our forecasted 10-14 inches turned into barely 2 inches, no ice, no sleet. *After* they decided to close the schools, of course. I feel cheated.

No lifting for me today, although I did shovel those 2 feet, um, 2 inches of snow this morning.

We have a garage, but it's so old -- and therefore small -- that it dictates our car purchases. We test drove a new Passat wagon, drove it home to test its size ... and it stuck out the back of the garage like Pooh's bottom from Rabbit's window. The brand-new Passat then stalled IN our garage, and the dealership had to come tow it away because they couldn't get it restarted. Don't think we would have purchased that car even if it had fit in the garage!

//b. strong,
Kim

Last edited by kaw; 02-02-2011 at 02:02 PM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Kim,
You can have all of MY snow. 5" overnight, and after I got to work at 9:45, **** broke loose and the snow has been coming down in buckets. Drive home will be major fun.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #15  
Kallos Sthenos

Oh Alena be very careful!

Kim: We didn't get the ice we thought we would get either. I'm thrilled though. It warmed up enough to help melt my driveway a little for good clearing as well. It wears me out though. Pretty long. A good argument for really having a snow blower. I feel a little silly clearing it by hand but I keep reminding myself that if I can do this...I live to be over 100!

So, with that, nice little run on the dreadmill this morning, followed up with a Hatha Yoga class mostly standing leg work and then shoveling wet snow and slush with a nice icy layer at the bottom. Where's my bed?