Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 12:53 PM   #1  

Default BFL supplements..any suggestions?

Hey BFLer's

I am just wondering if anyone uses the EAS supplements? or other supplements while on body for life. I am looking for some suggestions..i don't do ephederine products.

one_sweetchick
Old 10-30-2002, 01:06 PM   #2  
Mel

Default supplements

Hi there-

Not sure what to call you- Swchick?

I'm pretty confident in saying none of us here use ephedra or other fat burner products! You can have a great transformation with NO supplements, just good clean food and hard work. To make all those meals a little easier, most of us use a protein powder and add some sort of carb for a complete meal shake. Also, most of us use EFA's (essential fatty acids) such as flax seed oil, or UDO's or I use a blend of omega-3 fatty acids mostly from fish oils. I also use glutamine for muscle repair, and a good multivitamin. Other than that, unless you are doing an OFFICIAL EAS BFL challenge, there's not much else you need. I think to officially enter you have to use one of their products.

Come on over to the main thread and join us- we've a few old timers (as in been at this lifestyle for a while) and an influx of new ladies doing their first challenge. We all have questions and cheer each other on!

mel
Old 10-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

OSC...

Check the "Basic Body For Life Information" sticky at the top of the forum...this has the info you're probably looking for.

Personally, at this time I'm not using much of anything other than Vitamin C and a multivitamin. I do have creatine and glutamine but I don't use them every day (with a second car payment to make, I need to watch my pennies) - just when I'm sore, I'll take glutamine.

I also use Myoplex Lite shake powder (NOT THE BARS -they are HORRID and protein bars in general are crap anyway) and Met-Rx Protein Plus Vanilla Creme powder, but I don't consider them 'supplements'.

The only time you NEED to use supplements is if you are doing the 'official' EAS/BFL challenge, where the rules state that you 'MUST' be using at least one EAS product to qualify. Since I've never done an 'official' challenge, no problem.

One thing to remember is that most supplements that you see advertised are overpriced AND unneccesary. No supplement will subsititute for clean eating and intense workouts!
Old 10-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #4  

Default supplement

Hey thanks so much for your help!

I am using a soy protein shake a couple or few times a day and I like it. I also have zone bars every now and then and I actually like some of them (I know I'm a freak ). I am not sure i know much about glutamine, but I would love to know more. I have heard about flax seed oil but again I am not sure what it does to help with the process. I would like to know what UDO's are?? I have seen this word everywhere but i have no clue what it is.

I am eating good meals and life is good but i was just wondering if anything is recommended. I am only 2 weeks into my first challenge.

one_sweetchick
Old 10-30-2002, 07:42 PM   #5  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey girlie!

I use flaxseed oil
Glutamine
Glucosamine
Protein powder

That's it!!

JC
Old 11-01-2002, 02:45 PM   #6  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Does anyone else use 95% Protein powder from GNC ? or is there a better one I should be using, I also started taking flax seed oil in my shake, and I take a multivitamin. Can you purchase glutamine in GNC? SO new to all this!
Virginia
Old 11-04-2002, 08:27 AM   #7  

swchick,

some people can get or are allergic to soy protein powder. Whey protein powder is as far as I am aware generally the best tolerated and quality proof. try to get one that's as pure as possible.
Flax seed oil is great, I usually use 1/2 flax seed oil, and 1/2 olive oil (cold pressed-first quality). You cannot cook flax seed oil though! Use it raw and store it in the fridge!
Udo's oil is a brand of mixed EFA's, ready to take. Read more about it via www.stumptuous.com, there's a link somewhere in the "iron" section. Cannot tell you if it's good or not, we don't have it here! Try it and let us know!

Virginia, I use Protech, a 95 % pure whey protein powder, a US brand that's imported here to Greece. I think it's very good quality and tastes good as well. Hope this helps.

Vassiliki, aka Greekgirl

Last edited by Greekgirl; 11-04-2002 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #8  

Default Anyone try Betagen?

Hey everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone here has tried betagen has a supplement or maybe know someone that has...let me know what you know about...thanks everyone for listening

one_sweetchick

Old 11-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey sweetchick,

I wouldn't bother with Betagen - it's overpriced and a mixture of some of the most basic supplements. Try taking some glutamine by itself - any brand will do normally. I have tried Betagen and it ain't worth the label that is printed on it.

As for protein powders I would suggest mine but I know that it isn't available in the US - sorry!

Virginia: Flaxseed is great but don't take it post-workout or first thing in the morning. Take it in the middle of the day some time. You can get glutamine from basically anywhere - it is very common - I am positve that GNC will have it. Withthe protein powders the way to check out the quality of it is to compare the serving size to the protein in the serving size. You should always aim to get a protein powder that is at least 75% protein. So if the serving size is 40 grams then the protein should be at least 30 gms etc. Just check the ingrediants list on the side. It's an easy way to calculate it in your head.

JC
Old 11-05-2002, 11:07 PM   #10  

Exclamation thanks for all of the advice

Hey everyone,

thanks for all of the advice. I think that i am going to switch from soy protein to whey protein...i have learned a few things from this forum and from some of the people at the health food stores. ...i am also going tomorrow to get some glutamine.

Thanks

one_sweetchick
Old 11-05-2002, 11:29 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Sweetchick.

Since you're in Canada, you might want to save some bucks by checking out www.supplementscanada.com - I've heard that they have great prices.

Also, www.leanandstrong.com has quite a few Canadian members, they could probably offer you some money-saving advice! I know things can get rather pricey in the Great White North!
Closed Thread