Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #91  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

CF was good but short because the trainer doesn't want to push me too hard... yet.

The RX WOD was 33 rounds of
3 pullups
3 box jumps
3 pushups
3 wall balls

I was told that I was going to be cut off at 15 minutes but I did squeeze in an extra 20 seconds or so in.

My pullups were pulldowns
My box jumps were jumps onto 2 stacked 45 lb plates
My pushups were incline pushups
My wallballs were with a 10 lb ball

I did 14 rounds total.

Oh and since I hurt my neck at karate yesterday, I told my husband after the workout and he got a little miffed with me. He thinks I should've stayed home instead of gone to CF but oh well. I told him I want to go tomorrow but we'lll see.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #92  
Working My Way Back Down

Welcome back Alena!

Lydia, I had a terrible time finding a corner as well - all the walls in our free weight room are covered with mirrors or windows! I was using the space between the door frame and a corner for awhile, now I've found one inside corner where the mirrors don't come down to the floor, and there's just room beside the bench that's there. I have to be reaaallly careful when I move the BB that I don't hit a mirror with it!

I did a 1 hour zumba class this morning, followed by a 45 minute UBWO. This may not have been the smartest workout on top of yesterday's WBWO, but I'm resting tomorrow! I am nicely sore now, and I expect to be a bit more tomorrow!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #93  
Mel

Neli- that is great for starters I know you aren't a beginner fitness-wise, but Xfit realy is different.

Pat- I need to go figure out what it is yo are doing in corners

Welcome back, Alena!

I'm tired today. By Thursday I feel generally beat up.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #94  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lydia,
I actually did not find it, my BF did. I never asked where he got it from - as far as I know, he doesn't read any exercise related forums etc. The other day, he sent me an article (that showed up in some British mag or paper) called Is It Worth It? It was about the hard work that goes into developing a sick pack (in a middle aged man). Sometimes he surprises me.

Shannon,
I was not anywhere, BF came here for a week.

My eating was worse than bad, it was atrocious, and I can't seem to snap out of it. The worst part is that although BF seems to be the catalyst, I can't really blame it on him. It's ME who starts cutting corners and opting for the fatty let's-grab-this-or-that food. We did quite a lot of work in the yard (the weather did not allow us to do as much as I had hoped for) so now i am left with my front yard all dug up but it still has to weeded, covered with landscaping fabric and some mulch (haven't decided what yet). This week has been very rainy, which normally would be a blessing but right now, I need a nice weather in 1 good day/2 days of rain intervals. My back is protesting and so is my right forearm.
We also installed a new, very spiffy, toilet in my main bathroom and I started to redo the flooring there. Also, I realized I had to paint before the toilet goes in so right now the bathroom has a new toilet, half of the walls with the old colour, half with the new, and the same with the floor - half floor new, half floor old. Verrrrrrrry pretty, LOL. But that does not bother me, the yard is a bigger nightmare.
Of course we did not exercise except for yoga and TRX. The TRX left my BF totally on the floor unable to continue hehehe. He said he could not understand how I can enjoy that. So at least something.
My pants are extremely tight and I feel like a mountain of lard.
Confession makes me feel marginally better.

Pat,
I am thinking of going back to Zumba, at least for a few classes. I miss it a lot.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #95  
Just Me

Have you guys heard of "Go Ape"? One of my goals is to become fit enough to do it well.
http://www.goape.com/days-out-in/md/...ood/the-course
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #96  
Workin' It

Nelie - I've seen Go Ape on television. Looks fantastically cool. How is the neck today?

Alena - ah, gotcha on the BF visit. Sorry your food went awry...

Mel - hope you get some rest today somewhere.

Pat - I would totally whack a mirror with the bar on that exercise... I position the bar in the back corer of my squat rack when I do the exercise, though had to put a mat down to keep from digging a hole in the concrete floor..

Cheryl - I printed your WOD from a couple of days ago and am thinking I might give it a try. I am still somewhat sore from "Lydia".

I laid off exercise last night and actually skipped my yoga this morning. Figured 24 hours with no exercise would probably help. My plan is to hit the yoga tonight, either before or after my planned run depending on if I end up on treadmill or at the park. I'm still sore, particularly my shoulders. I think it must have been the burpees and the pushups. I've been doing more straight lifting workouts from Krista's site for the last couple of months so I've lost some of my tolerance for the CF style workouts. Got to get my chops back! Started last week with some Women's Health superset workouts and they about killed me.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #97  
Working My Way Back Down

With all the discussion of CrossFit, I have an ad at the top of my page advertising a CrossFit gym in Fairbanks! Only 350 miles from here!

I'm taking a rest day today, though I may ride my bike later. It's cool and cloudy, good for riding. I'm not as sore as I expected, except my shoulders. I did up my weights on some UB stuff yesterday.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #98  
Mel

ack! I'm exhausted! Today's WOD:
run 600 meters
20 hang cleans
run 400 meters
20 hang cleans
run 400 meters
20 hang cleans
run 600 meters

I am not a natural runner I was seeing spots by the end of the last run. Our latest gym toys are empty beer kegs that are rubber coated (on of our Xfit members is a beer distributor). Unfortunately, he brought empty ones I was playing around doing "keg cleans". Definitely could not have done that with a full keg. We'll probably half fill them just to make it harder and off balance.

Alena- Your description of your bathroom and yard had me laughing- sorry, but mine has been in that state soooo many times. Dh has an absolute rule for me now: 1 project at a time. I tend to get on a roll and see everything I want to do and start too much at once.

Nelie- I think the Go Ape looks like fun. maybe. I'm not thrilled by heights even tho I used to be a climber. At least rock is solid.

Tiki- I hope your daughter feels better after exams. My son was very sick all through high school with gastric problems. He hardly ever has problems now a year and a half later. Just getting out of high school (and away from MOM) seems to have been the miracle cure.

Mel
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Ugh!!! In my role as SuperMom I stayed up with the Girl to provide positive encouragement as she studied for the first two exams. I'm supposed to do legs tomorrow - make that TODAY - at 5AM but I doubt that will happen seeing that it's 2:16AM now. On a good note, I got in a GREAT chest, tri, shoulder workout today - make that YESTERDAY - and an hour long walk at lunch along the riverfront.

I'll have to search for Go Ape. for some reason, the name makes me think GRAPES so I'm off to the fridge for a few before i call it a night.

Tiki!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #100  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hehehe Mel, most of my house is in that state. I don't have a problem starting projects but finishing them is another story. LOL. But the bathroom was not my fault, really. I bought this really sleek toilet and of course I don't want to keep reinstalling a toilet, so it made sense, once the old one (that had developed SERIOUS flushing issues) was removed to replace the floor. And you know how close toilets (or their tanks, rather) are to the wall. Considering that the bathroom was pointed a bright blue colour (including the ceiling) - courtesy of the previous owner, whose colour choices made my hair stand up (I am actually surprised I survived with that colour for almost 5 years) that did not go with the new floor at ..... the paint roller was calling my name!
I should take some picture before it's finished so that you can laugh some more.

The moment I looked at the Go Ape website (thanks, Nelie) I shot an email to BF. Poor guy. His previous girlfriend was so frightened of heights that she would not even set foot on her balcony (on a measly 4th floor). I think she somewhat infected him because when we climbed up to the top of the spire in Quito's Basilica, he stood cautiously behind me. Heights don't scare me although I am not sure if I would have the guts to jump outta plane in a wingsuit (I got that invitation from one of my customers).

We are trying to determine where to go on vacation that would not ruin us financially. BF had this great idea that we could rent a RV and go to Wyoming and Montana, this way we could take our dogs with us. But it's darn far to the west side of Montana from Chicago and considering that we will be going sometime in September, the weather may get awfully dicy in those altitudes. So we had to nix that. (If you guys have any good suggestions, let's hear them. Any and all will be muchly appreciated).

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #101  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey ladies!

I've popped in a few times to try and post, but keep getting interrupted or run out of time for computer, so finally, here I am!

Nelie, I'm so happy you are enjoying CF, and it sounds like you have a good trainer. It really is best to ease into it, since it is such a different animal than other workouts, as Mel said.

Shannon, not sure which workout that is, the run/PP/L-sit one maybe? Anyway, have fun with it!

Mel, have fun with the kegs. I'd like to try cleaning a keg, but our lightest one is 115 or 100, neither of which I can clean, even with an oly bar. I hope those were hang power cleans, not squat cleans!

I'd better get off here and get going. It's actually a rest day for me, as I have the 12K run tomorrow, but it's boring here (had a light day yesterday, just warm-up and stretch/roll, so stayed home), so I'm going to the gym to hang out and suffer vicariously through other people.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #102  
Just Me

My neck is feeling a lot better and I didn't go to CF last night. My husband said I haven't even started the beginner program yet and he thinks I'm trying to push myself too hard. He worries a lot

Anyway, I'm going to go today.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #103  
Working My Way Back Down

Alena, when I was young and foolish, and just out of college, my BF and I drove from western Mass to Wyoming in about 2.5 days (if my memory is right) in a VW bug! Had a great time, but it was earlier in the year. Sept might be a little late. If not snow, then for sure cold nights. I'm going to Flagstaff, AZ in mid-Oct and am concerned about the weather there too, but I'll be staying in hotel.

I like the idea of renting an RV and taking the dogs though. Someplace a little further south, maybe the Ozarks?

We had a sunny break yesterday afternoon/evening, but it's back to cool and cloudy this morning. DH is dressed to go for a hike, though he's been putzing around for the last hour and hasn't yet left. I need to get some paperwork done, change the bed, put away yesterday's laundry, and get to the gym.

Today starts our city's Colony Days celebration Colony Days Tonight will be a classic/antique car rally, and tomorrow all sorts of event, including a parade in the morning. My quilting GFs are meeting to watch this, and I'll likely ride my bike to town (parking is awful) to join them. Small town parades are always fun!

Last edited by WaterRat; 06-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #104  
Just Me

Hi all!

I went to Crossfit today, here is what the RX workout was
“The Seven”

Seven rounds for time of:
7 Handstand push-ups
135 pound Thruster, 7 reps
7 Knees to elbows
245 pound Deadlift, 7 reps
7 Burpees
7 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood
7 Pull-ups

The people doing it as prescribed were dying and took most around an hour.

My workout

5 rounds (the trainer stepped out for a few moments so I did 7 rounds)

5 incline pushups
5 weighted pvc thrusters
5 sit ups
5 medicine ball deadlifts (14 lb medicine ball)
5 'box' jumps (2 stacked 45 lb plates)
5 pull downs (a pvc suspended by a band)

It took me 19:19.

Tomorrow morning, we are going hiking and then a trip to Ikea so no CF for me tomorrow. I start my class official class Monday though.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #105  
Mel

Eek! Nelie, I did that WOD on memorial Day
Rx'd for women was lighter, but I was wobbling around and seeing stars by the beginning of round 6.

Today I'm having a rest day. I did Xfit 6 days in a row and am beat. Laundry, groceries, getting ds off to his summer job, starting to pack for my trip next week to Toronto, nails, etc will fill up the day. We have an anniversary dinner for my father and step-mother tonight at my step-sister's house. Not sure what the food situation looks like, but usually it's not too much of a problem.

Mel