Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 04:47 PM   #46  
mox

I can't believe how fast this week went. Well, gals (and any guy lurkers out there), we're half-way through our challenge! And, even though some of us maybe haven't had the cleanest weeks, it looks like everyone is still trying hard. Yea!!!

I've had a pretty good week, and am looking forward to this weekend (although no lazing around on the couch for me -- too much to do, too many people to see . . . ) I've set aside time to spend at the gym – I think I'm ready to get acquainted with "the bar"! I want to try to do some squats, and I'm sure I'm going to need lots of time to figure out the machine I want to use (it's the kind where the bar stays within tracks, so I hopefully won't tip over), and there's always plenty of staff around on the weekends.

I'm extra motivated to get into shape, 'cause I just confirmed that I'll be going on a big trip to S.E. Asia next spring. I really want to go diving and do a lot of trekking -- both of which are easier to do if I'm in shape. Also, I know from experience that it's hot and steamy where I'm thinking of going, so I'll be a lot more comfortable if I lose about 50 pounds. Anyway, I was planning on going on this trip (a friend of mine lives in Malaysia) in any event, but it just became much easier: I found out this week that I won a huge raffle prize – RT airline tickets to Japan! The only thing I've ever won before is a coffee basket, so I was stunned to learn that I had gotten this lucky. So, I'm hoping to use these tickets to get to Tokyo, and then take another flight from Tokyo to Kuala Lumpur. I'm very, very excited.

TH: It's scary -- but reassuring -- to me when I read other people's posts, and realize that I'm not the only one who sometimes feels unmotivated, frozen, lost, etc. That's why I think this site is so great – it really does help to realize that other people are going through the same struggles. And I think I understand what you're going through, 'cause I felt (and still do) many of the same things. About 8 years ago, I lost 80 pounds, only to have regained all of the weight. Talk about feeling disgusted and angry – I was so mad at myself for having "let myself go." But, after years of whining about it (in my head, of course; I was too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I had fallen off the exercise/good food wagon, although the evidence was there for everyone to see), I just got tired of hearing it. I'm still trying not to be so mad at myself, and I work to focus on the present and what I'm gaining by becoming healthier (e.g., the trip discussed above). Anyway, just know that you have supportive people here who are going through the same challenges you are!

MrsJim: Hope you had a great trip this weekend (I'm assuming you're reading this on Sunday). I saw the picture you posted on the other thread, and you look awesome. Congrats!

JEC: Where are your pictures on the L&S site? Are they under "JEC"? I'd love to take a look.

Susan and Moxie: Regarding back pain and yoga – I suggest you ask your teacher to check your form (even if she'd prefer to have her eyes closed, it's her job to teach). I've been doing yoga for a couple of years and haven't experienced that type of pain. More importantly, my instructor is very insistent that we be gentle with our bodies; in her view, yoga is an exercise that should flow with your breath (that is, unless you're doing power yoga or whatever it's called).

Mel: I love your new pic! If I was being honest, mine would look like a dumpling.

Gotta run for a final meeting of the day. Hope everyone has a great weekend! See you on Monday. Mox
Old 09-20-2002, 06:33 PM   #47  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Exclamation Well it's free day here!

So I am leisurely typing away before I get to all my cooking for the week!

Hubby INSISTED that I take another back shot to put in my profile because in the first set I was standing with legs together and one with legs apart. He said that it distorted the view SO I took more shots this morning and updated the colloge. It's funny but he was right aafter I looked at the pictures I saw what he meant. Also I tried to smile a bit this time (years of damage from being scared of having my photo taken.)

Mox: No my pictures are under my original SN - JC. I tried to register as that here but you need a minimum of 3 characters so I had to add my middle initial to it. (eve)

Thunder: Know that I am thinking about ya!

MrsJim: I redid the form for Pam yesterday and just about wrote my life story on it! I still can think of some foods that I don't like and forgot to mention! She said that she would have the plan to me by next weekend so I will continue with this until I get it.

I jumped on the scale and in the 3 weeks of C3FC I have lost 9 lbs, which puts me back are where I was before I took the 6 weeks off. It's NICE to be back on track again!

Mox: Um hello??? How LUCKY are you! I would love to go to Japan one day. Hey whilst you are in my part of the world you should drop in sometime! Where in SE Asia are you heading to besides KL?

Well I have about 30 meals to prepare for the week so I had better get cooking!

Take care all.

JC
Old 09-20-2002, 07:44 PM   #48  
Mel

Default LOL

That is not me! The lady in question is Juliette Bergman, a Dutch BB who won MS. Olympia and many other titles. That's how she looked 5-10 years ago. Her 2001 Olympia pictures show her with about 40 lbs more muscle. And not natural, I'm sure.

In my dreams I look like that! I've got a ways to go.

But I had a really good day! Ate 100% all week, did great workouts, even one I wasn't supposed to do (um, can you believe I got up a did cardio, then remembered it wasn't a cardio day?), and best of all, Husband (Jon) just got home after a week and a half in England. He says there is less of me than when he left. I don't see it, but what a sweetie!

JC- Where are these pictures? Here or at L & S?

Mox- What an incredible thing to win! You'll have quite a trip to prepare for, then tell us about. I'm jealous- most I ever won was a free snapple.

mel

Last edited by meliris; 09-20-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:33 PM   #49  

Hello ladies! My computer monitor needed a new board so some of your posts have been hard to read so I don't always respond. I am UP and RUNNING now with a new video card...I installed it a few minutes ago, so now everything is CLEAR. But now there are so many posts, I can't answer everyone!

I'll do better from now on.

TH, I just wanted to comment on the backsliding thing.

I know you've heard my story before but I will just say that I feel like the last six years have been such a struggle.

After I quit smoking in 1996 I gained a ton of weight (I stopped looking at the scale when it informed me I had gained 60 lbs) and didn't think much of it because I had always lost weight easily and really wanted to be QUIT so I couldn't think about the weight gain or else I'd smoke again. After being off cigarettes a year I tried to "diet" and nothing happened. In fairly rapid succession I tried WW, phentermine, Atkins, Zone, Jenny Craig etc. Whereas I used to be able to lose about 12 lbs a month (and never really gained all that much), I couldn't lose ANYTHING in a month. It was so debilitating. It went on like that for THREE YEARS. I would go on some plan and give up after 4-6 weeks because nothing budged. Then I found BFL in January of 2001. I had just signed up with WW again and did that for the 8 weeks that I had signef up for but I was reading the BFL book and "getting ready". In 8 weeks on WW I lost 11 lbs. The next 2 weeks I started working out with weights to get ready.

Then I started my first challenge in earnest. I did okay although I had no inches lost until week 10. I started C2 but went back east in the middle of it. I did okay. I thought I looked good for a trip back home and was looking forward to hitting 10s when I got back. I came home with an inner ear infection and couldn't work out. I was homesick for NY and very depressed. Then 9/11 and I was freaking out. I went home in Oct and visited ground zero...it was horrible. I was depressed and anxious and then I saw my ob/gyn who thought that I need low carb because of perimenopause...then I did THAT...the whole time I am not working out intensely and instead of having a GREAT one year anniversary of BFL, I'm BIGGER than I was before c1. I was so horribly depressed. I did okay, in and out of the program, but I kept reading all the progress (esp. MrsJim) and kept coming back to it. I had planned to work out a lot over the summer but worked ALL THE TIME. I did walk a lot and noticed that after 10 weeks the walking was starting to have an effect. so I must be a 10 week person....it must take 10 weeks for effects to show. A VERY LONG TIME to wait when you are busting your butt every day.

Well, I am in the middle of this sprint and really loving it. My hubby has to be somewhere tomorrow morning when I normally go to the gym so I am getting up at 3 am to get to the gym. I have that kind of motivation. For me, six weeks is easier to deal with and I would like to take a short break and then do a pre Christmas sprint.

I know JEC and MrsJIm are talking about extending this challenge...maybe we could start a new one right away (with a couple of days off in between) because I love BEGINNING motivation. I love the beginning of these sprints!

Anyway, this was a long winded reply to say....no matter where you are, what is important is that you do not quit.

The thing I LOVE about bb and bfl is how I FEEL. I know that free day yesterday was awful and I didn't even go that crazy. I like the way I feel when I am eating clean. Right now I am working out INTENSELY and eating clean (I only took one free day in 2 weeks) and my loss has been minimal...but I keep going....as a 10 weeker I have no choice.

So if you are grieving or having a hard time for whatever reason, BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF and COME HERE and TALK because we need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you're not doing so well, we're still here for you!!!

Take care,
Susan
Old 09-21-2002, 10:53 AM   #50  

meliris: JEC's pics are over at L&S. Click on "view user profiles" at the top of the message board page, and here's are under "jc."

jec: I checked out your photos yesterday, and they are fabulous! It's funny to finally see someone's pics on here, because I have images in my head of all of you, and when I finally do see a photo, it is *nothing* like what i imagined! :-P I didn't realize you were my age, for starters! I, myself, am working up the courage to post pics. I am going to attempt to attach a recent head shot below, and will see if I have the courage to post my full "before & after" photos at some point in the near future ;-P

i'm so glad the weekend is here! it always seems that as I get towards the end of the work-week, my workout motivation begins to wane. but saturday and sunday are *always* stellar days where workouts and nutrition are concerned, so the weekend really helps me get pumped for the week ahead.

Have a great weekend, ladies - and can you believe we're already embarking on the second half of our sprint?!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #51  

Oops- meant to comment on your post above, but forgot - was busy figuring out how to attach a photo into my post ;-P I truly admire your motivation, despite all of the personal setbacks you've had - truly a testament to the fact that anything is possible, if you want it bad enough! Like you, it takes a *long* time for changes to take effect for me, but I think part of that is just my perception. I will always see a fat girl when I look into the mirror, even if (no, not if - WHEN!) I get down to a size 8 or smaller).

MrsJim: like susanje, your progress was a huge motivator for me. When I first started WW, your website before and after photos (this was pre-BFL), were what convinced me that I could lose weight, too, if I really wanted it. After you decided to give BFL a whirl, so did I. Ok, I'm a copycat- sue me!

And on extending the challenge - I agree that maybe a second sprint would be in order - I've given myself some set goals for this challenge, and would love to take a day or two to assess my progress and develop new goals for a new challenge - maybe a pre- thanksgiving sprint? Not sure offhand how many weeks there are between the end of this sprint and thanksgiving, but anywho... I'm loving this sprint! I can never stay this motivated for a 12-week challenge, but I'm doing so weel this time around. I was able to downgrade (or would it be considered upgrading?) to a smaller size of jeans last week. VERY exciting! I'm finally through buying jeans from Lane Braynt - yea! (Not a slam on Lane Bryant, as they have *great* jeans, but just an exciting thing for me, personally ;-P)

OK, I've rambled enough :-P
Old 09-21-2002, 01:22 PM   #52  

Colleen, I feel the same way about lizwear. While Liz Claiborne is my favorite "big lady" designer, she does design clothes in sizes smaller than 16. I just love her "WOMAN" line though, even more than her regular size line. She's a class act and her clothes always fit nice.

I did look for JEC's profile on L&S. I'll have to look again.

I did get to the gym at 3:00 am. I went to bed at 8:30 to make it happen. It was NICE. There were 4 people there and I had the free weight side of the gym all to myself.

However, I did scratch my face. I was moving my hair out of my face (since it's too short to pull back but still long enough to fly in my face...I need a bandana or headband or something)...and scratched my face right across the cheek. YOW. It is sore and red. I have an interview on Tuesday!

Does anyone know anything that promotes healing of the facial skin? QUICKLY??????????????????

Even with that incident, I feel very good. Tired but good.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #53  
JEC
Aussie and proud

wcolleenh my goodness I had no idea we were the same age - I thought that you were so much older than me! Thanks for the picture!

susan: try aloe vera, not the cream, the straight green stuff. You can normally get it from a health food store etc.

Well I had a decent free day and unfortunately broke my no sugar rule by having some chocolate. But it was a conscious decision so I am not going to beat myself up about it at all. I also tried the CC & jello mixture - I used lemon which is my favourite and I could not believe how could it was! Hubby tried it also and said it was exactly like lemon cheesecake and that I had to make him some of it to take to work! The way I made it was;

a portion of low fat CC (no FF in Australia)
3 teaspoons of WW lemon jello dissolved in hot water
some splenda
a little fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons of vanilla SF/FF pudding (I get someone to send it to me from the US.

I blended it up in the blender all together and then put it in the fridge for a few hours. It was INCREDIBLE!!! I so wanted to make more today but I have CPB menus so I can't! DAMN!

Thanks for all the encouragement with the photos ladies. It has taken me a long time to get the courage to do it (10 months) but since I have had some improvement I thought it was important for people who aren't getting their ideal body in one challenge to see that the heavier you are the more patient you have to be. It can happen it just happens at different speeds for different people. I hope that it encourages at least one person to stick with it.

JC
Old 09-21-2002, 11:19 PM   #54  

Default The scale lies, but the tape measure doesn't!

Weight Upper Waist Lower Waist Left Calf
May 8 200 41.5 50 18.25
July 10 199 41.5 49 17
August 14 199 40 48 16.5
September 21 196 38 45 15

**Since august 14th, down only 3 pounds, but 2 inches off upper and 3 inches off lower waist???!!!

Here are my stats since the start of C3FC
1 inch off upper waist
1.5 inch off lower waist
1 inch off left calf
down 3 pounds on scale (but who cares what THAT monster says!)
Old 09-22-2002, 11:41 AM   #55  

Colleen, those are impressive numbers. I think so anyway. For me, the lower waist area is my nemesis. Before turning 40, I could lose weight very easily there, now it is the last place to lose!

JEC: I did see your photos on L&S. VERY VERY VERY nice work!!!We have a similar build I think. My old profile is still there as well (under SJ).

Thanks for the aloe vera tip. I do have a huge aloe vera plant on my deck...I"ve only been able to grow the monster thing in California. I could not get them to grow like this back east. I will try it. I know it works well on burns but I haven't tried it for cuts. I need RAPID healing!

Also, could you post that LUSCIOUS cc/jello recipe under the recipe thread?????? I would love to try it sometime.

Well, I did an ubwo and swimming this morning (about 5:30 am). I wish I could get to the gym early every single day. the weekdays are not do-able with a 9yr old at home. Hubby leaves for work at 4:00 so I'd have to be at the gym but like 2:30....meaning I'd get no sleep!!! But I LOVE the early morning hours.

First day with my new gloves for my UBWO and what a difference they made. They not only helped my wrist stability but they helped with the rough edges of some of the lat pulls. Nice gloves. I like them a lot. I used to be a strict no-gloves person but got tired of callouses so I switched to gloves and now really like them. A good pair makes a difference (to me anyway)

the swim was simply marvelous. I really enjoyed the water and did a lot of exercises in the pool. It seems to complement UBWO very well. I didn't split my routine this week because it's a weird schedule week. I almost didn't go. I got up at 4:30 and had coffee and was just sitting in the recliner watching some garbage on TV and almost fell back asleep, but I opened my eyes and away I went!!! I'm so glad I did.

Feeling stronger every day.

susan
Closed Thread