Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #1  

Default De-lurking to ask: strength training, calorie consumption, cardio a must?

I've been looking through a lot of posts in this section and I cannot seem to find the answers I am looking for. This will probably be long, so I thank those who read and can offer advice in advance.

Some background: I am 29 y/o female, 5'3", 177 lbs and have been a bit sedentary (economy). My build is sort of like Xena: Warrior Princess, except I am short. I have always had wide shoulders, ample butt, wide hips (even when I was slim; just my bone structure). In comparison, my sister has always had narrow shoulders, no hips, no butt (if she could find jeans smaller than size 0, she could fit in them). I can't think of a better way to describe her than "birdlike". When you hug her, it feels like her bones are hollow, whereas I was "solid" build-wise even when I was very slim. Just trying to convey here that some have wispy frames (my sister) and I am not one of those.

As I've gotten older, I've gained more weight, but mostly I was in the 130-150 range prior to having a child. I had my daughter 5 years ago. I am realistic, and I know I will never get back to 115. My highest weight ever was after she was born -- 180 lbs. I had lost 40 lbs (due to stress and emotional turmoil of divorce). I met my boyfriend after my divorce, and he makes me very happy and vice versa (he also lost about 40 lbs during his divorce due to the same). I've joked that he should make me miserable so the weight will melt off again. Anyway...Boyfriend makes me very happy and I must make him happy because together we have each gained back those 40 lbs over the last 3 years.

I typically HATE exercise. I recently came across Fat Burning Furnace and have read things on weight training and such. I figured that this is for me, that if you only need to exercise "all out" 15-20 minutes 3 days a week, I could manage that and more importantly, ** stick to it **. A lot of things in the FBF book make a lot of sense to me. I'm finding that although its sometimes tough to start exercising, I feel good when I do it and afterwards I feel very satisfied. I do the recommended set of 8-10 reps (or until muscle failure) slowly in adduction and abduction and I do a full body workout 3 days a week. Maximum rest between exercises is 60 seconds.

I get the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. I can already tell I'm stronger (doing it for 1.5 weeks so far) and, oddly, have lost 2 lbs -- I started at 179 lbs. Also, I am on my TOM and can't figure out how I lost 2 lbs when I typically gain water weight during those times. I really like the strength training, even though I only have access to resistance bands. The sweat PORES down my face by the time I am done and I know I'm getting a good workout. I should note that what the scale says is not that important to me. I want inches gone and to fit into jeans that don't fit anymore.

Alright, so here are the conundrums:

Various forums, articles, sources, and yes, even unwanted advice from family -- everything CONFLICTS. I've heard "cardio AND strength training is best", "cardio is best", "you just need strength training" and "strength training with supplemented cardio". Even on these boards, I find lots of conflicts of opinions regarding this and calories. Should I just go with what feels right for me? Can you lose fat while only doing strength training? Must you include some form of cardio to lose fat? BTW, FBF says that cardio such as running on a treadmill or using an exercise bike is not only not necessary, but can be detrimental to building your muscle. It says instead, if you're intermediate to advanced, you should do 1 HIIT session a week such as racquetball, basketball, etc.

I live in a small apartment. I do not have the money for equipment (even on Craigslist) or a gym membership, nor do I have the space for equipment. I'm really not into cardio in the "run on a treadmill for 30 minutes" kind of way. I dance around with my daughter for, say, 20 minutes a day. When it's warmer, I'd like to rollerblade (easier on my knees), but other than that, I dread cardio. Plus, I have arthritis in my knees, so I don't like to run, etc. Are resistance bands enough, or will I have to eventually, say, use canned fruit as free weights?

For someone my size, how many calories should I be consuming? I've read things like needing a surplus to grow muscle, but what is my baseline? Or, am I supposed to be restricting calories to under 2000? I'm eating about 2,000-2,200.

If it makes a difference, my BMR is supposedly 1584.75, according to one site, and 1573.23 according to another. According to internetfitness D O T com calculators, totally energy required (calories a day for women) for moderate activity 20 min a day is 1657.23 or 1737.23 for heavy. If I'm going all out in these 20 minute strength training days, is that considered moderate or heavy activity?

I have a cheap heart rate monitor that I haven't used yet. Will a heart rate monitor (even a less expensive one) give a general idea of calories burned through strength training?

Are you supposed to eat more on the days you strength train, or do you eat the same amount every day regardless?

SparkPeople formulates goals for me based on (I'm thinking) eating a lower-calorie diet and cardio. I'm doing strength training only, and I think I'm supposed to eat about 100g of protein, right?

I've been eating fairly clean, which is amazing for me. I've been eating at least 5 meals a day, staying within the calorie range I set for myself (2,000-2,200). I am a picky eater. My diet has been horrible since I was 8 (came from a house where it's "Make Your Own" every evening and you weren't allowed to use the stove, just the microwave). My eating habits are very ingrained, so its a challenge not to eat like crap, but I'm doing it. I'm eating more carbs and protein. Its hard to get near 100g of protein a day, so I've gotten a protein shake.

Hopefully, others have these questions too and can be answered and I'm not just wasting everyone's time. Here's a recap of the questions:

Can you lose fat while only doing strength training? Must you include some form of cardio to lose fat? Should I just go with what feels right for me?

Are resistance bands enough, or will I have to eventually, say, use canned fruit as free weights?

For someone my size, how many calories should I be consuming?

If I'm going all out in these 20 minute strength training days, is that considered moderate or heavy activity?

Will a heart rate monitor (even a less expensive one) give a general idea of calories burned through strength training?

Are you supposed to eat more on the days you strength train, or do you eat the same amount every day regardless?

If I am supposed to be eating a surplus, how much fat, carbs, protein, fiber, etc., am I supposed to be eating based on strength training and my size?

Last edited by Carolina00; 04-27-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Carolina00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #2  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Wowza. I'm no help, but I look forward to reading the answers.

And congrats on starting your journey - clearly with a lot of knowledge and understanding of what will work for you.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #3  
Mel

Not ignoring you...... I will try to answer some of these when I have more than 2 minutes at the computer if someone else doesn't get here first!

Keep in mind that you WILL get many, many different opinions, though. You really have to just chose what works for you in the end.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

I'm here too. Just saw your message and will get back with you soon. I'm in the middle of showing my house and a relo to another state.

Here's a hint of where I'm going to go with your cardio vs strength training. HIIT is anaerobic. So is strength training...lifting in a range of no greater than 8 to 12 reps. Not such different animals in their source of energy reserves and both rock at elevating your body's ability to boost metabolic rate. Gotta go. Realtors here.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Here is my take on your questions:
Can you lose fat while only doing strength training? Must you include some form of cardio to lose fat? Should I just go with what feels right for me?
Yes. I actually struggle with cardio but I do better no days than I used to. You can lose fat with a calorie deficit and strength training. I know I did. Strength training burns calories and builds muscle. If that is what works for you, I'd say go for it but I'd also say try to build in some cardio because it is good for you if nothing else.

Are resistance bands enough, or will I have to eventually, say, use canned fruit as free weights?

Resistance bands are awesome and you can make them more difficult. You may want to look into stronger bands as you advanced but from what I've read, resistance bands may even be superior to weights but there just may be difficulty achieving the right resistance unless you figure it out.

No clue Really this is individual, I'd suggest picking a caloric level and seeing how that works for you. My initial suggestion would be 1500-1800 calories. Large range? yeah but it really depends on what works for you.

If I'm going all out in these 20 minute strength training days, is that considered moderate or heavy activity? If you are going all out, I'd say it is heavy but I'd really make those 20 minutes work. Personally, 20 minutes would be too short for me.

Will a heart rate monitor (even a less expensive one) give a general idea of calories burned through strength training?
As long as it is using a heart strap then yes it should.

This is where you might struggle a bit because your strength days may make you hungrier. It is really up to what works for you. You might also try zig zagging. For instance if you pick 1600 calories, then you eat 1500 calories on days you don't strength train and 1700 calories on the days that you do so that your weekly average is the same.

If I am supposed to be eating a surplus, how much fat, carbs, protein, fiber, etc., am I supposed to be eating based on strength training and my size?
Now this is where your answers will vary and I'm biased because I eat a low fat, high carb diet. I'd say you should get at minimum 50 g protein/day but I'd recommend a bit higher but again it depends what works for you. I don't think you are supposed to be eating a surplus though. You need a deficit to lose fat. You will still gain muscle.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #6  

Thank you guys so much for your replies. Oddly enough (again), I lost another pound. That really can't be right, can it?

I do love the resistance band I have and try to make it as hard as possible and really go at it for those 20 minutes. My daughter is so cute, as she comes by me and says encouraging things like, "You're doing it, Mommy", "Good job, Mommy", and counts my reps with me. I'll probably have to graduate to a higher one in a few weeks. I'm already using a one that's supposed to be 'Heavy' resistance. I just wish I knew how much weight I'm "lifting".

I set my calories for 2,000-2,400 but I keep being between 1,800-2,000. My HR monitor doesn't have a chest strap.

I ask about the cardio and/or strength training because a different sister of mine who has been eating "clean" and has been exercising at home and going to the gym two times a week tells me that everything I'm doing is "absolutely wrong" and things like "where are you getting this stuff?". However, this sister has been eating clean and exercising for years now and there is no visible difference in her size. She is about 270 lbs at 5'8". It may sound mean, but what she's doing isn't making a difference externally, so I'm not that inclined to follow "her program" since she's been doing it for years and I don't see results for her.

BTW, this is what I meant about "unwanted family advice". I didn't ask her what ** she ** does and say I wanted to do things like her. She's always saying that she can bring a guest to her gym, so I just called her up to see what times she goes and that lead to, "Oh, what are you doing?" and me telling her and her subsequent response of "You are doing it all wrong. You need cardio and supplement it with some weight training. Where are you hearing this stuff? You don't want to be a bodybuilder and what you are describing sounds like that. You don't want to do that and bulk up". I tell her women have a VERY difficult time bulking up and that that's not going to happen, but she continues with the "What you are doing is not going to work" rhetoric. :: shrug :: She's a very opinionated person, but why does everyone want you to do things "their way"? They don't have to live in my body - I do.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #7  
Just Me

Well if your caloric intake is working for you then you shouldn't change. For me, I maintain my weight at about 2000 calories and I'm slightly heavier than you but our bodies aren't the same

In terms of HRM, it is very difficult to get an accurate reading without a chest strap. Is it a finger touch ones?

Also, our own body weights are good things to use such as squats, lunges, pushups, tricep dips, pullups, etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Yes, no, yes. Losing fat is primarily a function of eating fewer calories than you burn, and secondarily of making sure that you do not also lose lean mass while in a calorie deficit. Strength training and eating enough protein (bodybuilders use a formula of 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass) are your best bets for retaining lean mass while in a calorie deficit.

I suggest you look into bodyweight exercises such as pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, planks, etc. These will give you the most bang for your buck on a budget, when it comes to strength training. Eventually when you have some extra money, then you can perhaps invest in a gym membership or more weight equipment at home.

If you are losing weight at the number of calories you are consuming right now, AND you do not feel like your athletic performance or daily energy level is negatively impacted, then I'd keep it where it is for the moment. Your own body is your best guide--listen to it.

If I'm going all out in these 20 minute strength training days, is that considered moderate or heavy activity?

Probably heavy. But if possible, I would say you should be doing 30 minutes of strength training 3x per week...but...it's also OK to work up to that! What's most important right now is enjoying what you are doing and seeing the results of that.

No clue. I don't bother with an HRM for my workouts.

Yes, and maybe. I think it's important to listen to how my body feels. Some days when I strength train, I am simply more hungry than normal, so I may eat a couple hundred extra calories. Or some days when I have done a lot of intense cardio (days I bike to work), I may be hungrier...I try not to be an authoritarian jerk with my body. If I'm that hungry, I eat.

If you want to lose fat, you need to be eating at a deficit, not a surplus. Eating at a surplus is for building muscle, which also means gaining some fat. you cannot both lose fat and gain significant muscle at the same time; bodybuilders go through phases of "bulking" and then "cutting" due to this. Right now you want to "cut," which means eating at a deficit.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #9  
Just Me

In terms of protein requirement, I found this article which is interesting. I've heard the .8g per kg of weight figure most often which puts me at about 76g but the article also says that figure is for men vs women.
http://weighttraining.about.com/od/n...in_howmuch.htm
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

From http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...es-part-2.html (Lyle McDonald):

Quote:
The RDA for protein is set at 0.8 g protein/kg body weight (0.36 g/lb) while dieters may need as much as 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) to avoid excessive protein loss. Endurance athletes need protein at roughly 1.2-1.4 g protein/kg (0.54-0.63 g/lb) and weight trainers may need 1.6-1.8 g protein/kg (0.72-0.81 g/lb). Most bodybuilders use 1 g/lb as a rough estimate and this isn’t too far off from the value of 0.8 g/lb.
(bolded for emphasis)

I get about 150 grams of protein per day. This works for me. But it's the kind of thing we each need to figure out for ourselves as to what works and what doesn't.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #11  
Just Me

The RDA is actually about 50 grams. For me, I get about 70-80g which is what works for me. In general, I find protein requirements to be a bit overzealous but that article I posted had a good breakdown of the various recommendations.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #12  

Thank you guys so much.

I think my HRM is a finger-touch. Is that okay for a "guesstimation"? I am shooting for 100-144g of protein. I was having trouble with that until I picked up some Body Fortress whey protein powder.

I do have a door attachment for my resistance band, so I can do lat pulldowns, chest press, leg curls, rowing, wood chop, etc. I do tricep dips with a chair and squats and lunges with the resistance band. Even when I was slim but strong, I could never do a pushup but I do the "girl-version" using the knees instead of the tips of your toes. My butt feels KICKED after 20 minutes, but I'm going to try to do more with time.

Here is the routine, if it is relevant (all are 1 set, 10-12 reps done slowly):

Squats, overhead extension, leg press, lunge, overhead press, bicep curls, wood chop / sword swing, chest press, pulldown, crunch, leg extension, leg curl, tricep dips, "girl-version" pushups.

I think for now, I'll stay in the calorie range I'm eating since I don't feel starved and am losing some weight. I don't mind if it's only a pound a week or less. However, it is driving me crazy to be hungry more than one to two times a day. Eating makes the body go, "Hey, since you feed me food, I want some more". I guess that's going to take getting used to, since I'm typically inclined to eat 1-2 times a day, once around 11 am and once at dinner.

Last edited by Carolina00; 04-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey Carolina

Sorry I didn't get back sooner... day yesterday. It looks like you've received some great advice. The only thing I really want to add is that when looking for the "best" approach to altering bodyfat comp you will find a lot of different opinions. I have found that the best way to stay sane through this is not so much to consider one approach more correct than another but too look at each one as another "tool" in your box of tricks.

There has been evidence that HIIT training is effective in increasing your metabolic rate. You are already using this approach which is wonderful.

You had some question about cardio vs strength training. When cardio is approached through HIIT training it increases your metabolic rate long after your workout is completed. Some studies suggest the EPOC is elevated for 24 hours some suggest 48...

Lifting/strength training also increases your metabolic rate post workout. It is similar in HIIT training in that it relies upon anaerobic energy source, (can only be sustained for a short period of time such as 6 to 12 rep range). You probably already know this but something else to consider is that muscle is metabolically active so if we are able to retain and even build muscle tissue through strength training we can also increase our resting metabolic rate. All good things.

Your routine looks fine. Since you are using bands I would also like to suggest a site that offers further suggestions on workouts with bands. I actually own the black bands myself and they offer much more resistance than the heavy bands we typically find at a retail store. Might be something to look into as you are ready to progress from your current set.

http://www.resistancebandtraining.com/
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina00 View Post
I'll probably have to graduate to a higher one in a few weeks. I'm already using a one that's supposed to be 'Heavy' resistance. I just wish I knew how much weight I'm "lifting".
Hi Carolina,

I just purchased some 12" bands from elite fitness and they have a chart listing the strengths of the bands when stretched from 24"-50" http://www.elitefts.com/documents/band_strength.htm

I am using the bands to add resistance to free weights, but they are also effective completely replacing weights like you are doing. I did some deadlifts the other day by standing in the loops of the short average bands and attaching them to unloaded bar, and found them pretty challenging.

If you have access to some free weights you can figure out how strong your bands are, by how heavy a weight it takes to stretch them at the top of your range of motion. I did that with my first set to figure out how big a dumbell was needed to weigh them down when benching.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #15  
Mel

Hi Robert! How are you? Long time no see!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote