Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 07:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default C3FC sounds great!

I'd like to join you all in the camp 3FC challenge! Haven't posted here for a while -- Hi to all the veterans and newcomers too!

My husband Brian and I have done BFL together for a year (our BFL anniversary was Aug. 20) and just finished a free week. I started BFL again today, after we returned from Lake Tahoe and buffets (our 11-year son returned to school today, so no more vacation.)

I'll join you September 3. September 2 is our 19-year wedding anniversary, so Brian and I will have a free day with some champagne on Monday.

I'll post my C3FC goals soon!

Carrie
Old 08-29-2002, 09:10 AM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Carrie - of course you can join us!!!

EVERYONE join us! Together we can do anything!!!

I am so motivated and jazzed about starting on Monday!

Last night after the meeting was over, I went for a LONG walk in Manhattan. It's amazing how many famous places are crammed into this small island...I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to come back to NYC but I definitely WILL be back...it's just glorious...now if only I could sleep through the 'city sounds'...

At L&S a couple days ago, Dusk posted the following - I thought it was a keeper and wanted EVERYONE to see it... I might even post it on the main Diet Plans board!
Quote:
When a person is being slapped around by the world and they don't know exactly how to handle it, it manifests itself in their physical being, ie. overweight or underweight.

When I go to a store, I look around at the heavy people and wonder what it is that conquered them . . . what problem was it that made them so stressed out that they had to eat in order to relieve the pain? I was one of them for most of my life and truth be told, sometimes new stressors come around that I have yet learned how to handle and it throws a little kink in my armor, but because of "the power," I'm able to rebound a lot faster than before. Back then, I never knew how to harness the power within. Now I do. Back then, whenever I would see someone who was physically fit, I viewed them as arrogant and egotistical. Why? Because of an aura that seemed to envelop them . . . a power that wasn't tangible and yet existed. This power flows from a person who has learned how to harnesses or control certain aspects in their lives and when that happens, a lot of their insecurities just melt away, hence, this person no longer carries himself like the moral majority. But herein lies the problem . . .

This power is incredibly intimidating to those who can't understand it. I couldn't understand it . . . in my eyes, when I saw someone who was fit, it automatically transformed them into someone who was shallow . . . so focused on "self" that they couldn't possibly be anything BUT arrogant. The way they moved, the way they reacted to certain situations, their general being seemed to be superior to those around them. Because of this, fit people are often labeled arrogant, egotistical, cocky, full of themselves, stuck up, and a whole slue of other adjectives. But those without the power fail to realize something -- these seemingly "superior people" still have their insecurities . . . they are still imperfect . . . they are still human. And because the "powerless ones" don't acknowledge this, there is a compelling force within them that tries to drop us down a notch or two . . . to put us in our place . . . to humble us.

Case in point . . . because of my illness, there are times when it takes everything within me just to perform the simple tasks in life. Recently, I was at the beginning stage of a "crisis," but was able to push myself through the barrier and went to the gym. It took all my inner strength just to be there and every last ounce of energy had to be channeled into my workout. When a couple of regulars were about to leave, they made a comment that shocked me. They said, "Have you gotten so fit that you can't even acknowlege us?" You see, they didn't realize that it was only by harnessing the power within that I was even able to be there at all. I had tapped into something that they couldn't even imagine. It never occurred to them that I was human . . . it never occurred to them that there might have been something going on in my life that caused me to be a little "introverted" that day . . . why? Plain and simple . . . because my muscles show . . . because the outward manifestation of that harnessed power was intimidating and they resented it, whether they realized it or not, and so they had to make sure that they dropped me down a notch or two.

So, the power starts with a decision to change . . . it starts in the mind . . . once harnessed, it manifests itself not only in our outward appearance, but also in how we carry ourselves. As for what we do with it . . . we can only try and help those who acknowledge the fact that we have accomplished something that they would like to accomplish. We lead by example . . . we answer their questions . . . we encourage them to try and harness the power within. That's what Bill Phillips did when he published Body for Life.
Is that cool or what?!? Actually I think I will post it on the main DP board - maybe some other folks there will want to join us in our quest for Clean Living!!!

JC - don't worry chick. I know there are SOME women out there who can be objective about what the scale says and not take it to heart. As for me...well, I'm going to take tape measurements and photos this weekend. I dunno about weighing though. Maybe at the end of 6 weeks?!?

Moxie - thanx for the compliments - and for posting recipes on the thread. I encourage everyone to post their faves!

Back to work - later y'all!
Old 08-29-2002, 01:51 PM   #18  
GO CANES!

Talking May I join?

Hello Everyone!
I would LOVE to join "camp"!! I am currently Low Carbing....and I'm going to stick to that for now, but I'd love to commit to a six week challenge to really get myself on track!
Here are my goals:
1) DRINK 8 Glasses of H2O/day
2) STICK TO EATING PLAN
3) Workout every day
4) come to the forum daily
5) Keep my attitude in the right frame of mind
I'm really excited!!!!!
Thanks for the invite on the Low Carb Forum MrsJim!!
Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #19  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Of course you can Jihan!

Welcome to the party!

JC
Old 08-29-2002, 09:29 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

Hello girls,

Yep I'm in the mood for this challenge, I'm really excited about it... I had a great cardio workout this morning just thinking about it...

I've also been reading Krista Smash's site she has alot of helpful fun hints and great mind games to play when your working out... I had fun with that this morning... I have to do cardio inside now it's too dark at 5:30am anymore to bike or walk... Maybe I'll get hubby out in the evening for a walk...now that the weather is cooler, and he's not so busy with work around the house...

Well girls I have to go bathe and go to bed....

A question before I go: Is anyone taking any type of supplement, I wouldn't mind trying some... I've been drinking my protein shakes and I like them for a snack in the morning and afternoon on my breaks...

MrsJim thank your for that posting from Dusk, it's very motivating and gets me thinking about crossing that all important abyss....

Nite for now ....

Lana....
Old 08-30-2002, 07:42 AM   #21  
Mel

Default Friday

OK! I'm psyched too. Just wish Pam would get backto me with my regime! I'm sure she's swamped with new clients, Vegas, etc, but I'm impatient.

Yesterday I did the wrong workout at the gym LOL! Proof that heavy weights lead to early senility. Was supposed to do shoulders and BI's, but did shoulders and TRI's. Couldn't figure out why my tri's were so noodly. Duh- just did them on Monday. I Always take my journal into the gym with me- I don't know why I did it, except there were a couple of regulars working tri's, so I just blindly started in! Unfortunatly, that leaves back and bi's for today, and I really like to do back by itself, and really hit everything. Maybe I'll lift Saturday and just do bi's and really burn them out, too.

Lana- I take glutamine- 3 scoops a day, and will start 4 on leg and back day starting today. I also take a large quantity of vitamins including tons of C, extra calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, and others. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and was taking this vitamin concoction before I started really lifting heavy and it helped with all the pain symptoms and I haven't gotten sick with a cold since starting the glutamine.

Welcome Princess Jihan!

JC- know what you mean about the scale, it's only in the last 6 weeks I've weaned off weighing everyday. With predictable results of either smugness or tears. All which is pretty silly, given that since january my weight has just gone up and down three pounds several times, with nothing dramatic in either direction. That in itself is depressing! Now I try to just weigh on Saturday morning, since I've eaten clean all week. I figure that's my best time. Unfortunatly, it's still the same.

time to run the dog-

mel

Last edited by meliris; 08-30-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:16 AM   #22  

Default TGIF!

Wow ladies, only three days to go and I'm psyched!! I've already gotten tired of not hitting the gym (it's my week off) and eating too much crap.

Mel--I too have not yet recieved my plan from Pam B. I know she's busy and she said she'd have it to me by Sunday. I'm getting really excited to see what makes it so cool and effective--but I'm thinking it's all those veggies and give me a few weeks and I'll be going crazy because of all of them .

Lana--here are my daily supps:
kid's multivitamin--I'm super sensitive to iron for some reason and kid's vitas don't have as much as adult versions.

l-glutamine--three teaspoons a day (15g)--haven't gotten sick since beginning it and it definitely makes a difference in post-workout soreness.

creatine--I have cycled off of this in the last 14 days so that I can start it up again for this challenge. I take 10g a day, morning (post-workout) and before bedtime. I don't do the loading phase. I do notice a little weight gain and I have to increase my water consumption. But I love the way it makes my shoulders and arms, and abs look more cut and it helps noticeably with post-workout soreness as well.

zinc--50mg a day. I started taking this after I got my bellybutton pierced (the piercer recommended it). I was amazed at how well it works and it also increases your immunity against colds, flu, and for me, strep throat (I haven't gotten it in a long time, used to get it several times a year).

Hi Princess Jihan! Congrats on taking the challenge!

What are you guys doing specifically this weekend to get ready? I'm going to weigh, measure, take pictures and bodyfat. Grocery shop, eat sushi tomorrow afternoon and enjoy the long weekend.

Have a great Friday!
Maggie
Old 08-30-2002, 09:54 PM   #23  

Hi hi everyone!

I'm getting so PSYCHED to be doing the challenge. I have an interview at the end of September and I want my suit to be loose.
I walked this morning and later did some light UBWO at home with power blocks. Tomorrow I do killer cardio at the gym and Sunday I am going to do killer LBWO. Monday, the holiday, I am taking free dinner/dessert and starting the challenge on Tuesday.

MrsJim: hope you are enjoying my home town!!! I miss it madly!

I bought a book on body building when I was in NY over the summer and haven't even looked at it yet. I am going to look it over during the weekend and plan my workouts. My meals are no brainers so I'll just stick with what I'm doing.

I am PSYCHED!!! I also found my stars so I am happy about that!
Happy Labor Day Weekend everyone!!!!
Susan
Old 08-31-2002, 08:42 AM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey everyone!!! Sorry I've been so quiet these last couple of days.

The last day of an offsite meeting is always VERY hectic. Thank God my Jim was here to help (on about 2 hours sleep - I TOLD him he wouldn't be able to sleep in coach - I've never been able to snooze on a plane). I couldn't access the Internet anyway. My work uses a Random Access Remote to get online when we're not in the office - and if there's a lot of folks trying to access it, it gets VERY slow or impossible to get a line out. Besides Jim and I had lots of packing to do, I had to get everyone to the flights, and generally clean stuff up.

OH and on Thursday evening I took my group to TOWN RESTAURANT on 56th Ave. THIS IS THE COOLEST PLACE. It's been featured on "Sex and the City" and the food was outstanding. When I was trying to select a restaurant, I asked some folks around work who were experienced NYC travelers and they RAVED about Town. I love it when our dinners are successful!

ANYway, after we had cleaned up I was exhausted but still wanted to go with Jim and REALLY see some of NYC. I'd walked around on my own the past couple of days but it's not 25% as fun without my Jim (I keep thinking...I wish Jim was here to see this with me...). We walked through Central Park up to the famous Dakota Apartments and Strawberry Fields...petted the carriage horses (again) they are such sweet guys...walked down Broadway to Times Square...up 48th Street to all the music stores which of course Jim had to see - since he's been ordering equipment from them!

Afterwards we staggered back to the Waldorf=Astoria and took a bit of a nap, then woke up at 9 and walked to the Empire State Building. Jim was in NY in 1976 and he's always told me his aunt wouldn't take him up to the Observatory, so of course we had to go up and correct that oversight! WOW. What a view and so much fun!

Right now Jim's asleep - since he'd been up for almost two days straight, he has a lot of catching up to do! After he wakes up we'll have breakfast and then do some more sightseeing...tomorrow we leave on the 2:20 flight from JFK (I miss Sparky - even though I know Jen's taking good care of him, he's probably very lonely!) and I start THE C3FC CHALLENGE on Monday!! Woo hoo!

Before we leave on Sunday I'm going to order my groceries for C3FC on Safeway.com and set the delivery date for after we arrive home as I'm sure Jim won't be in any shape to go running to the grocery store. Sunday afternoon I'll be planning my workouts - Monday I start with a killer chest/quad workout and some cardio later in the day...

This is going to be fun! We are all gonna do great!!!

See ya later gals!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:10 AM   #25  
Mel

Default Ah, the last free daybefore C3FC!

Raining here, 3 days in a row for the first time in 4 months! And we had 2 picnic/barbeque/parties to go to! I was going to enjoy a very relaxed free day before the start of our challenge, even have some wine or beer (haven't had beer in 14 months!) but looks like everything will be cancelled or postoned until tomorrow and I REALLY wanted to start tomorrow.

I've got to admit my nutrition has been lax the last 3 days as it is- workouts kick butt, but I think mentally I've convinced myself that it's OK since I'm really going to buckle down and recommit come 9/2! Nothing truly horrible, just not quite as clean as I'd like. My choice- no one forced me. Maybe the slight change will give my body a little jolt off this plateau! Which seems more like an endless plain.

How long does it usually take Pam to get to you? I'm still anxiously waiting....

Here are my goals for now:
1. 100% workouts (I think I do that all the time anyway, but just put it in writing).
2. 100% nutrition
3. Loose size 4 jeans instead of just 1 brand that fits and mostly size 6 in every other brand
4. Be more patient with my son who is a great kid, but just has the misfortune of being 12 years old.
5. Try to be happier with what I can't change- stretch marks, being short, etc, and look at what's improving ( my arms and legs are getting good, I'm healthier than I have been for the last 20 years!)
6. Do not let the eating disorder monsters back in my life.

mel
Have a good rest of the weekend, everybody!
Old 09-01-2002, 07:24 PM   #26  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Exclamation IT HAS BEGUN.........

Well girls since I am in Australia I started C3FC today!!!!!

I got up at 5:50am and went to the gym. I had a killer back/bis workout and I have a run planned for this afternoon. My hands hurt a bit for some reason but I am sure that it will go away. I took some glutamine as well for precautionary reasons! I had a great weekend away but I drank so much alcohol and ate so much crap! I still feel bloated from all the food. Luckily though we got home earlier than expected so I was able to prepare all of my food for the week.

I ate my first breakfast this morning and it was a egg white and veggie omelete which was quite nice. I have my water in front of me and all my food for the day in the fridge so I am set! I already feel better and my head is clearer after my workout this morning.

I went out late yesterday afternoon and bought a 3/4 length leather jacket! I am going to wear it to my birthday party in 4 weeks time so I have to look great by then. Hubby is all set as well and is being very helpful and asking loads of questions. I have explained to him that I may get a bit cranky and not to take it personally and he is happy with that. What a man!

Today's menu includes; :apple:

Egg white and veggie omelette
PP and cut up rockmelon, CC and yogurt
Chicken salad with 2 tomatoes and loads of lettuce. :tomato:
Oatmeal and egg whites
MRP
3-4 litres of water.

today's exercise includes:
Back/bis this morning
Run with my 2 dogs this afternoon

I feel great because I KNOW that I can do this! Today is also the first day without sugar and I feel good so far!

Well good luck everyone and I will log in again in the morning when the rest of you will be joining me on our journey to being leaner and fitter!

JC
Old 09-01-2002, 08:45 PM   #27  

Great job JC! Sounds like you're off to a GREAT start. I'm happy to say that it's still Sunday night here and I'm enjoying my last bits of free week. I was thinking about going out to get some ice cream but have decided that I don't really want it. I'm going to plan my workout for tomorrow morning, get all my paperwork in order and go to bed early.

Mel--I haven't gotten my meal plans from Pam yet, either. I'm kind of worried about it, but I think that if I don't have them by tomorrow, then I'm just going to do a normal clean day and then start on Tuesday.

Mrs. Jim--hope that you guys got home safely today and that you had an AWESOME weekend! I've been thinking about doing your workout split since I need a change of pace. I definitely think it'll be nice to break up my legs, I either feel like I hit them too hard or not hard enough...gotta find that perfect balance.

Anyway, have a great Sunday night everyone and I'll check in tomorrow!!

Maggie
Old 09-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #28  
Ilene the Bean

Talking I'M READY.....

Hello girls....

Well, my eating has been extremely LAX in the last couple of days.... I'm sooooo bloated.... It'll feel good to get back on track....

Thanks on your input girls about supplements... I may try the glutamine for post workout soreness...
I already take a handful of sups, mainly vitamin C, E, dong quai, CoQ10, gingo biloba, glucosamine, magnesium, calcium, and a multi... and everyone of them helps with something specific.

I can't wait for tomorrow...Here are my goals for the first day....

1... Drink my water, I've had difficult time with water lately, at work I'm too busy to even drink my one coffee, let alone 10 glasses of water... but I will try my darndess, even if I have to drink it all after work at 4PM!

2... Exercise, 100%

3... Eat super clean....

4... No sugar No salt...

5... Post, talk, discuss on the furom....

We only have a few hours left girls...yippee....

Have a nice evening girls, we only have a few hours to go...Well most of us do anyways...

JEC ~~ sounds like your first day was perfect... CONGRATS

Last edited by Lanaii1; 09-01-2002 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:49 PM   #29  

Well, after three days of no workouts (other than morning walks), and very poor eating, I'm all set for C3FC! I just got in from my *long* drive back from GA. On the way home, I stopped at the grocery store to stock up on chicken, salmon, eggs, rice, oatmeal, flaxseed, potatoes and lotsa veggies. And since there's no work tomorrow, I'll have *no* excuse not to get my challenge underway as planned. I took my measurements before I left for my trip, and will take them again 3 weeks into the challenge, and then again at the conclusion. I'll test my BF% again at the conclusion as well.

198 pounds, 24% BF
waist: 39"
"pooch": 46.5"
left thigh: 24.5"
left calf: 16"

Goals:
1. Eat Clean! Two free meals per week and that's IT!
2. Complete all planned workouts!
3. Fitness Goal: Increase running intervals to 2 minutes when alternating running/walking for cardio
4. Reach 22% BF (may be a lofty goal, but will shoot for it nonetheles!)

Good luck on your own challenges, ladies!
Old 09-01-2002, 10:29 PM   #30  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Opps! I forgot to post my goals.
Here they are;

1. Drop one size in pants
2. No sugar - not even free afternoon
3. Increase my sprinting pace
4. Take my flax and water every day without fail!
5. Only one small glass diet coke a day
6. Only 2-3 coffees a day
7. No complaining about it!

Good luck everyone

JC
Closed Thread