Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Novembah: the first half!

I didn't have ANY Halloween candy!!! Might be the first time ever

Welcome back to reality rabbit. Your holiday must have been wonderful.

I need a sunny holiday- it has rained every weekend here since June! More painting today, cardio and the usual Sunday chores.

How is everyone?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Food's good.
Cardio's good.

I must lift twice a week! I must!!!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Morning, ladies!

Mel, WTG with the halloween candy. My food was good yesterday, except for the brownies at the strongman cert, and 2 mini Mounds bars the boy gave me from his trick-or-treating loot bag. NBD, back on plan today, and Halloween was fun.

SusanB, great to hear from you. What type of lifting program are you liking these days? Maybe putting in something new would help with the motivation, or just including one lift or two right in with your cardio days, as a way to get started again? That's definitely one advantage of going to a CF gym, I never have to plan my workout, I just have to go in, and do whatever is on the white board. I do get to plan my warm-up, so that's just enough freedom that I can practice what I like, then my trainer makes sure we're all doing what's good for us, whether we want to or not.

Rabbit, your vacation sounds great! I've heard good things about Spain, but have never been, probably never will, so I'll live vicariously through you! The clown costume was scary, but fun. I think my favorite parts were doing barbell squat cleans and burpees with the huge cartoon hands on. It was entertaining, at least!

For Lydia, the Strongman seminar report from yesterday:
We had a little sit-down/lecture bit for each implement/movement, maybe 5 or 10 minutes, which included a demo of how to use the implement, faults to avoid, etc, then we all got up and spent the rest of about an hour doing hands-on with the implements/movements.

We covered:
Stones: shouldering and then loading onto a platform (the Strongman Mammogram, lol!)
Log: clean and press or jerk to overhead
Yoke: walk with yoke
Farmer's handles: farmer's walk
Tire: tire flip

The gym owners cooked us up a big lunch of chicken or burgers, salad, and brownies for lunch...I had the chicken and it was yummy...so was the brownie...twice! There were about half a dozen strongman competitors there, besides my trainer and his partner who were putting on the seminar, so we all got plenty of pointers and some great coaching. I learned a lot, finally got the smallest tractor tire flipped, twice, without dropping it, though I still can't just flip it repeatedly like the pros do. This seminar was more about how to spice up your CF workouts, using strongman implements and movements, than it was about educating CFers who want to do strongman. This is actually right up my alley, because while I want to do the charity event next year, if I can, that my gym puts on, I don't think I especially want to become a regular strongman competitor. Mostly, I just think the strongman stuff is fun to play with, and I like lifting heavy. I'm not a fan of the speed element of the strongman competitions, though, which is why I will probably never get into it as a competitive sport. At the end of the seminar, we had our choice of three workouts, and I picked this one:
Run 300
Stone (loading) Series 60#/93#/100#/100# (load those 4 stones onto the platform)
Run 300
10 Log Push Press/Jerk (the log is 90#, and I can't do 10 with a good time, so I subbed PP with the fat barbell at 63#)
Run 300
Farmer's Walk 100 ft with 2x75# farmer's handles
My time was 8:13. I was happy with that, since I seemed to be right in there. I always feel like the slowest person in the gym, even though I'm not any more, but this time it was me and a bunch of fire breathing trainers, KWIM? Oh, the CF mainsite guys were there, filming, so maybe in a couple of months, when they get the footage all edited and up on the CF journal, you can see me on a video! No autographs, please!

Well, I'd better take my stupid self to the gym. Time to wave my magic gym-fairy wand and spiff the place up for Monday morning. I'm going in early today, since we trashed the gym, and so I can get home at a decent hour. Today is the boy's (my son's) 13th birthday, so we've got a movie date planned for this evening. I told him that from now on, I'm getting him a razor, deodorant and a tie for every birthday and Christmas. He didn't think that was funny, not even a little!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm back too! Feeling a little odd (over-training? no time to myself? not enough protein? not enough training?) but it will pass.

Good to see you, Susan! And congrats on the body-shrinking you've got going on! Yes, lifting is part of what you should be doing.

Hello, everyone else. I'll be back tomorrow. I plan a gym sesh.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Real Quick Fly By:

Cheryl: The Strongman clinic sounds awesome thanks for the details. I find that type of lifting fascinating and a little intimidating. Rocks don't have a specific shape which is the added challenge. I'm kind of fond of the predictable shape of dumb bells and plates. The meal sounds wonderful. I'm sure you all deserved more than one or two of those brownies. Oh and happy birthday to DS! This is a big milestone birthday. Welcome to the teen years!

Susan Great to see ya! Yes, you must lift at least twice a day oh...wait, week.

Mel: No candy?! Amazing. I've had more than I care to admit. The stuff lived in my garage for a week, no problem. Kids brought in their spoils and it's right in plain view. I MUST move it somewhere else. I also am getting rid of all the post party stuff. Threw out the rest of the cheesecake, pretzels, cookies, etc. I just can't have it in the house. It's usually not that much of a temptation for me but right now I'm tired with more on my plate than I want and I just can't have anything around me right now that I could mindlessly eat or excuse away.

Excitedly waiting my light box. Got my book and green tea ready for my first session.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  

Hi everybody!

Cheryl ... yup, working something in between cardio. We're in a renovation mess here. I've got all my dumbells and could easily do upper b one day and lower the other. If I shifted a bunch of stuff, I could get at my bench
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Food's good.
Cardio's good.

I must lift twice a week! I must!!!
We need to get together Susan. My food's good, my lifting is good. My cardio is not....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #8  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Oy, I need a rest day from my rest day! There was a lot of heavy stuff to shuffle around the gym yesterday, just putting things back together for Monday morning. It was like a metcon of strongman and cleaning, that lasted 4 hours. I had fun, though, really..I like going down there by myself. It's actually kind of nice...no kids, no dogs, no laundry or dishes, just me, a cup of tea, and a gym full of toys...dirty, chalked up toys, but still!

The DST has me all messed up. Could not figure out why I was up at 4 and 4:30 this morning, till I was awake enough to realise it was just the time change, so I got up anyway, and enjoyed the 'free' hour with a cup of tea. Time to feed dogs now, and get to the gym for whatever the Monday morning torture is.

PS- forgot to do replies...guess I need more caffeine than I thought! (smack the forehead!) I'll catch up when I get back!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 11-02-2009 at 09:38 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #9  

I just can't get my head around personal replies ... forgive me? I read you all ... seriously I do! You impress me much!

Pat ... plunk an elliptical in front of the TV. In this small house, I can't make a move without seeing the thing! ... works for me.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Were is my light box!

Estimated arrival gave a week and that week is almost up.

Cheryl: It sounds like you are really enjoying the CrossFit life. :

No workout here today. Psuedo rest. Spent the morning at the library studying. DS1 doesn't mind. It's one of his favorite haunts.

...that box better show up this afternoon.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #11  

Hi all,

Susan - so good to see you back! Re: ideas for lifting, I did the first stages of NRWL a while back and that was nice. A lot of unusual moves & lifts. maybe the change will put the fun back into lifting for you. the program alternates A and B workouts, so you could do an A and a B each week.

Mel - on no halloween candy

Cheryl - LOL on the BD presents for DB. I actually did give my son his first razor as a present a coupe of years back. Now if I look at him i cannot believe that giant is my son.

Pat - I have an elliptical in front of the new Tv downstairs, and a rowing machine in the attic in front of the old TV...it works!

I was hungry today...finished my lunch sandwich an hour before lunch.Getting back to reality after my holiday, and still adjusting to the DST time shift.
Exercise today: 1 hour biking to and from work + 1 hour power.

have a great day all,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 11-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Good morning! Well, good afternoon by now...

No strength training since Thursday am other than some heavy duty yoga here and there. Long run at the park on Sunday and my calves are killing me... I experimented with striking on the balls of my feet instead of my heels. Felt great yesterday, today calves hurt something fierce. Planning some kind of workout when I get home, could be isolated to upper body only... Not sure what to do... Eeek.

Susan - welcome! Yes, must lift weights twice per week! For me, it is 'must get in some yoga twice per week' as my current mantra.

Cheryl - DST always throws me off, too. I was starving to death this morning by breakfast and again by lunch. My body thought I was well overdue for food by then! The strongman thing sounds pretty cool, by the way! Happy 13th to the boy!

Lydia - I know I remember references to light boxes earlier on in the discussion but can't remember the why's. What do you use it for? SAAD? I cleaned out my candy drawer at home this weekend and threw away candy from last Halloween. I opened some to look at it and it was pretty icky after a year of getting hot and then hardening back up... Made me less likely to want even the newer stuff today...

Birch - welcome back! Glad you had a good trip.

Mel - we have had a lot of rain here, too, but the weekends have split a few times. It was actually sunny here yesterday...

Rabbit - I almost didn't make it until lunch for my salad...

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #13  
Workin' It

I'm definitely thinking a split workout today that doesn't really involve my legs.... Stretching up onto my toes is fine, squatting, seems to be fine, I even did some yoga this morning with downward facing dog. All fine. What hurts like heck is when I try to point my toes downward and when walk forward and land down on the balls of my feet. As that is what I overdid it makes sense that would be what hurts... I got a workout routine for a 3 day and a 4 day split from stumptuous.com but they both start with legs. Is it okay to start with day 2 and come back and do the leg day later in the week?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Is it okay to start with day 2 and come back and do the leg day later in the week?
Of course - it's really your program, isn't it?

You guys have an exagerated idea of the size of my living room. There's not room for a coffee table, never mind an elliptical! Not that I have one..... Really, our house is 24'x28' (each of two stories), with a 200 sq room in between the floors, for a total of 1544 sf. The living room holds a wood stove, a wood box, a TV on a stand of the same width, a couch and an easy chair. If I move the chair back there's enough room for me to lay on the floor (and I'm 5'4") to do yoga, so maybe 6-6.5' of space. We do have an exercise bike in one end of DH's shop downstairs, but (a) I hate it and (b) it's not near a TV.

This week I'm doing my workouts in reverse order, as I missed Day 3 last week, and I have more momentum the beginning of the week. It's a UB workout, so i'm also adding an HIIT session which is scheduled for tomorrow, but I have a budget presentation to do starting at 6pm.

Dynamic warm-up
(1a) Bent-over alternating DB row 3 x 9
(1b) Slight-incline alternating DB press 3 x 9
(2a) Lean away supinated grip cable pulldown 2 x 12
(2b) Standing seesaw press 2 x 12
(3a) Dips 3 x 8
(3b) Seated close-neutral cable row 3 x 8
(3c) Cable push-pull 3 x 8
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #15  

I was thinking about Pat when I was moving furniture so that I could stretch out on the floor

LBWO this morning. Calf raises, deadlifts, squats and some things I remember from "Buns of Steel". I had two ten pounders but had to ditch one (once in while) to correct my form. I'm a bit rusty. Really had to use that mind-in-the-muscle thing.
I think I used to do one-legged calf raises with a plate in my arm ... not today!

I'll drag an actual barbell in here sooner or later.