Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #46  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post

The CF report below:
------------------

I asked my trainer if I could use his new 50 lb weight vest to run the mile. He said yes (he's very good at sharing), and said we're just doing heavy deads tomorrow, so that might be a good day for me to do it. I think he's assuming I mean to run it fast. I actually had just planned to use it for a warm-up, at a slower pace.
It's official! You are NUTS Cheryl! A MILE with a 50 lb weight vest? I can run 30 yards with one, but a MILE! You ARE the weightlifting GODDESS!!!!

Nelie--congrats on the loose pants, madam! Woohoo!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #47  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Midwife...I think...lol! We'll see how much of a goddess I am tomorrow! I figure it's got to be easier than carrying the stupid sandbag over one shoulder!

Nelie, what Midwife said about the pants! I meant to comment on that, then got distracted. I'm like that!

Okay, I need to go figure what to do with all the clutter in my front room, then will attempt the daring and super heavy "couch lift" with assistance from a 12 year old and a handtruck. If I don't post within 24 hours, somebody send a fireman to get me out from under the couch in the front yard.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #48  

cheryl - WTG on the new coach!
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #49  
Workin' It

Quick drop in, will be back to respond to all later. About to make myself go exercise against my own loud internal protests, so if I stop too long I'll lose momentum...

Cheryl - I read the unedited post, didn't sound too whiney to me, sounded like a rough day. Feel better today?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #50  
Mel

Cheryl, you are Every time I pick up 70-80 pounds and it feels HEAVY, I think about how my poor knees and feet were carrying that around ALL THE TIME.

My feet are still sore from dancing at a wedding Saturday night. Now there's something I would not have done 75 pounds ago: dance all night in high heels and a skimpy black dress!!!! I would have hid at a table behind a potted plant.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #51  
Working My Way Back Down

Cheryl - it rained most of the weekend, and today is cold and rainy again. Fall is definitely here! We'll most likely put the bike away when the snow tires come out. Even without the rain it's pretty cold to be riding - my hands and ears don't like it.

I've given up early morning workouts this week at least. I'll go tonight (weights) and tomorrow night (cardio), then Wed morning at a reasonable hour (weights again) as I'm leaving for a conference and I've opted to take the whole day off. I have to be in Anchorage to meet some folks at 11:30, so I can workout at 8:30 or so and be ready to go in time. Thurs is a scheduled rest day. Friday and Sat I'll swap so I can do a cardio at the hotel and another weights workout when I get home Sat afternoon. Now to work out the eating to be as clean as possible. Taking my own breakfast stuff, making a "stay away from the desserts" pledge, and a lot of self-talk about portion size and food quality.

Mel - I never could dance all night in high heels! Congrats to you!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #52  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

I am still alive, peeps! The couch moving was an adventure, though. Too fluffy and heavy to use the handtruck...could not even get through the yard gate with it. Lucky thing, actually, that it has the recliners on both ends, because it was actually 3 pieces, held together only by a pair of iron (?) "L" straps on the bottom and some bolts. My boy removed the bolts, and I lifted the pieces off one by one. In hindsight, it might have been smart to lay the thing on it's back, rather than leaving it standing on one end before doing this. The "overhead recliner lift" seems to have aggravated whatever I did to my back a few weeks ago when I just HAD to make that 95 lb barbell clean. Not bad, but it's like instant sore back, so probably not normal. Well, we got the couch in the house in 3 pieces, reassembled it, set it in it's new place, then flopped down on it and tested the recliners a few dozen times...sproing! "cool!" click...sproing! "wheee" click... Yeah, the boy and I are easily entertained!

I'm having a tea break before I have to fix dinner. Pork chops with this sweet/hot sauce I got from Costco, maybe spinach salad? Unfortunately, we're out of applesauce, which IMO is almost required for eating pork chops.

Mel, you're just jealous, cuz you don't have a shiny new weight vest in your gym! neener-neener!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #53  
Working My Way Back Down

Glad you survived Cheryl! And I agree with applesauce with pork thingy - though I thought it was a New England thing (where I was raised).

At last it's 5 and I'm off to the gym - well, as soon as I shut everything down
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #54  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Could be, Pat, since my folks are from NJ...does that count as New England? I'm a little vague on my geography/history recollection, I confess. The pork chops were good with the sauce. The boy even tried it and gave it the thumbs up...he's trying new foods this year, voluntarily, for the first time since he was 7 or 8...finally! Now, if the preteen attitude would just go away, I'd be a happy mom!

My everything is sore tonight, mostly abs and back, so I'm going to bed early. Hopefully this will translate to waking up on time...I've been waking up a little late the past few days, which means getting to the gym later...tired of that garbage already!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #55  
Working My Way Back Down

Arghhh, my abs are still sore from the roll-outs on Sat. Makes getting up from some positions interesting. Tonight was good except for the stupid mountain climber things. I wonder if that's that's linked to the abs as well. I've done them better than I did tonight.... Oh well, onward. Had a nice dinner of salmon, swiss chard and fresh potato (1 small) tonight, and it's 9:30. I'm about to retire with Diana Gabaldon's latest and maybe get a chapter or two read before I clonk.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #56  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Cheryl and Pat - enjoy your beauty sleep!

Mel - I can't do high heels. Wonder if it's practice?

Shannon - you got to the exercise, didn't you?

Rabbit - is today that 2.5 hour drive? You're doing v well with your plan, adding something in every week.

to anyone I've missed and to lurkers.

My weight is still down. I've been working on 'no sugar' and 'smaller portions'. And seem to be getting somewhere at last. Weights in a few hours but nothing fancy, mind! Just a few compound moves and a bit of stretching. I'm taking everything slowly, slowly after my spring/summer cocktail of surgery, injuries, school summer hols and builders. Ooh! I notice I said 'after'! Is it really over? Has it really finished??

Have a good, OP day, everyone.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Arghhh, my abs are still sore from the roll-outs on Sat.
I can definitely relate! Every time I take rollouts out of my program, I kick myself when I reintroduce them because I always get severe DOMS, and it is every damn abdominal muscle too and they always linger!
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #58  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Depalma, do you do the rollouts with a BB or the little ab wheel thingy? Or does it matter? I'd imagine they'd each give a different kind of challenge and ab torture. When my abs recover, I want to try them again. Tried them early on, but they were a bit much at the time. Probably still a bit much, but I bet I could do better now.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I've done them with a barbell, a power wheel (a larger ab wheel thingy) and two homemade small dual wheels that I made from this Ross Enamait article.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/wheel.html

I like the homemade wheels the best as they are unilateral and I can also use them for things like fly pushups. I prefer to progress to standing or rollouts on an incline rather than put weight on the bar, but that is a personal preference, mostly because my home gym is fairly crowded and I would have to move a bunch of stuff around to do barbell rollouts. I have also seen people add resistance with bands, but I haven't tried those yet.

Last edited by Depalma; 10-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #60  
Workin' It

Good morning!

I did get to my workout yesterday - i spent about an hour moving my exercise equipment around in the garage to make room for the bench and squat rack that we have yet to assemble. Pulled out the Weider Max to the other side of the garage, moved the bike, treadmill & elliptical closer to the inside wall. Made more space for the rack and got the electronic equipment further away from the garage door. They didn't get wet in the last rains, but it did worry me somewhat! I then did the Monday WH workout again, 43 minutes this time. Did 30 mins of slow paced yoga stretching before bed, which was nice.

Depalma - how difficult was it to make the wheels from that article? I did rollouts for the first time last week on a swiss ball. Liked the exercise, but felt like the ball was too high. I also won't have enough room in my garage for a barbell rollout once everything settles out, I don't think. The wheels look interesting.

Birch - it is most definitely fall. I swear, I think I missed the summer altogether.

Pat - My mountain climbers always start out good, but by the end of the third round they suffer a little. Eek. How are the abs feeling today?

Cheryl - how are you feeling today? Be careful with the back! Glad you survived the couch! I would have had to play on the recliner, too.

Mel - Sounds like you had a great time at the wedding! I'm sure you looked fabulous!

Nelie - I would have worried about washing the Gi as well... Glad it worked well!

Rabbit - on the jeans! And on not celebrating the size drop with food and drink!

Today is a cardio day, had planned to run at the park but it is cloudy and rainy so might be a treadmill or elliptical day for me. We'll see.

to everyone else! Good day!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-06-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote