Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:39 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Body For Life/Bodybuilding #61

Unbelievable - already on #61!!!

Here we go with the info...
Quote:
Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex Lite by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast [or SlimFat which is all sugar!]) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit. If you shop at www.netrition.com the page for each product will list carbs/proteins/fats/sugars. check the labels carefully! If you like to add carbs, go for a low carb but keep your protein/carb grams in mind. Some of the protein shakes have protein grams as high as 42 and this is usually too much for one BFL meal for any woman so split these in 2 and add carbs.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Useful links:

www.leanandstrong.com - check out the Transformation Gallery - and tons of useful info & support!

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - Krista Smash! website - bodybuilding for women - GREAT articles and fun site for all!

www.hussman.org/fitness - the famous Hussman site (but if you're doing BFL for the first time I strongly recommend following the book without tweaking).

http://www.naturalmuscle.net/

http://www.planetmuscle.com/
Old 07-15-2002, 11:48 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Good Morning!

Whew! How's everyone doing??

SO GLAD that I took a breather from the gym. Today was my first day back since Thursday - I was overtraining for sure. This is a reminder to me to take a week off every 12 weeks - no matter how much I love going to the gym!

However, I wasn't a total slug. I did go to my riding lesson, rode my bike a bit, and walked through the hills (I live next to Hillsborough, which is well-named - also a lovely place to walk with the trees and the big mansions around - haven't seen any famous folk out walking, tho' I probably wouldn't recognize them anyway...one time I was sitting in a deli years ago and didn't realize that football player Joe Montana and his wife were sitting on the same bench until it was pointed out to me!).

I also relaxed a bit on the eating this weekend. Not a total bingefest - I just didn't keep track or measure portions very well. However, today I'm back, babeeeeee!

Speaking of weights - referring to the last thread where Lanai and Tracy mentioned that they were having 'weak workouts' - I think that happens to ALL of us. Sometimes it's good to have a lighter weight/higher rep workout, just as a change. In fact I dropped my weights a bit since I'm coming back from a 3-day layoff (okay, it doesn't SOUND like much but...). No fear though - by next week I should be back where I was last week. Muscle memory!

Gotta run and get some work done. Let's hear from y'all out there! Thunderheart/JEC/Susanje and everyone else!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:56 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Talking G'day All!!!

Hello girls,

Well I'm doing the happy dance today... Weighed myself stayed the same....160#....oh well...

BUT....I measured myself on W3 and my new measurements on W6 are:

Chest: was 39" still the same

Waist: was 33" now 32....

Hips: was 44 now 42.5....

I am so thrilled with these results......

and the lesson is girls.....the SCALE is a LIAR...

Anyways hope everyone is having a great day...

Later...

Lana....
Old 07-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #4  

Hi Y'all

Finished another 3 days of high reps, low weights.
1 and 1/2 weeks and then I'll go back to 3 sets of 20 reps.

Lana- Congrats on doing the measurements!!!!

I just love seeing the tape measure change. I regret not doing the picture thing, but I am still too camera shy, to see my big parts in permanent detail would just be too much. I have not weighed since the end of my first 12 weeks (4 pound loss, 10 inches lost). I do measure every 4 weeks and I keep a stats page.
It helps me when I feel like cheatin' like a big dog, I pull that page up and read it and visualize what the numbers will be at my next measuring time.

TCW- I used to live in Wichita. One of my good friends works out at Exertech. When I go visit, we always get together for a workout or two.

Everybody have a good week.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #5  

Smile

Lana, those are great measurements! If I weren't chicken to measure myself, I'd do it. The clothes have told me, but I'm not mentally strong enough to handle the measurements But that's great that yours have gone down!

Hotty, when did you leave Wichita? As much as I don't like the Kansas summers and winters, I don't see myself moving. It's a love/hate relationship! Exertech pretty much folded several years ago and Genesis Health Clubs took over most of the buildings. I think Gold's Gym is in the West building . . . Which one did you go to with your friend? (I went out west). I did with that membership what most of the general population do with their gym memberships: I paid them money and didn't go. But as of three years ago, I love it and can't wait to get there . I belong to a place called Fitness 2000 now; nothing fancy like Gold's or Genesis, but it serves its purpose.

Tracy
Old 07-16-2002, 09:07 PM   #6  
Mel

Default What happened to muscle memory????

Did my first workout (chest, tri and abs) after a 10 day lay-off of bicycling and eating and wine tasting. I'm gonna be hurtin tomorrow! Could barely struggle thru my sets, felt pukey, and skipped cardio. Great start for c3!!! I'm blaming it on jet lag! and I undid ALL the results from c2. How can that happen in 10 days? Oh well, maybe my legs will at least be strong for tomorrow..... mel
Old 07-16-2002, 09:51 PM   #7  
Former cheese-oholic

Hello, all. I've got yet another question ...
In the previous thread, MrsJim mentioned adding SF jello powder to cottage cheese. That really sounds yummy and I look forward to trying it out. But, if that is acceptable fare on BFL, how about other things that are SF and FF? For example, I make French toast with (real) whole wheat bread and egg whites. I would like to add a couple of teaspoons of SF pancake syrup. Would that be considered acceptable? (This would not be a daily meal, just an occasional treat.)
There are so many SF and FF items out there (like the jello) that I just steered clear of because I thought they weren't considered clean eating. When I think clean, I don't think chemically produced (not sure if that's the term I'm looking for). I finally just caved in and bought Splenda this past weekend! I would love to be able to experiment more with seasonings and flavorings, I've pretty much been sticking to garlic and pepper and cinnamon -- not all at the same time!
Well, so far it's been about 3 weeks and it actually hasn't been too difficult to stick to authorized meals. (I lurk on Lean and Strong just to read Tall Jen's critiques on meals.) Everytime something tempts me, I just remember that I'm a few days away from a free day and I can have it then. That definitely works.
I'm steering clear of the scale but my waistbands are getting a bit looser. I'm pretty happy about that.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:05 PM   #8  

Hello Ladies

I got the book on saturday & had my first workout on monday.. & let me say it was hard...I took the book up to the gym & several ladies asked about it. Toward the end of the workout my arms were getting tired & I rested probably 2 minutes inbetween.. After I finished... I felt great... like I had really accomplished something...This morning was another story... I had planned to get up & do cardio, but was tired (didn't go to sleep til after midnight).. anyway skipped the am cardio, but after work did it...
I have a few questions maybe you can help me with...
1. How long should it take to to complete the workout? Last night it took close to 1 1/2 hours & I'm sure part of that is because of the interruptions & also because this is all new to me...
2. - on the food - I know it says to eat palm(protein) fist (carb), if i'm eating lowfat cottage cheese what do you think a portion is? i'm guessing 3/4 cups... is that to high, or low?
3 - I haven't pruchased any of the myoplex drinks but I have a protein drink called " Nature's Plus - Spiru-tein" it is soy protein power with spirulina that I mix with fat free milk... One scoope is 99 calories, 14 g progein, & 11g total carb (8g is sugar)... Would that be ok to drink instead of the other?

Gee... I guess I should of introduced myself & I should of asked if you all minded me posting... My name is Patty... i'm 40 years old... ... My first goal is to lose 10 lbs... then set another goal after that...
Old 07-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Welcome Patty!

Let me answer your questions real quick...

1) How long should it take to complete the workout? On weight lifting days - 42 to 46 minutes...on cardio days - 20 minutes. Of course in the beginning when you're finding your way around the gym and things, the LBWO and UBWOs may take a bit longer...it helps to have a watch that counts seconds to make sure that your rest between sets doesn't go under or over the 1 or 2 minute time limit. Practice makes perfect - and remember, during your first Challenge do NOT do cardio and weights on the same day - follow the book EXACTLY. You want to build muscle and this is the best time to do it!

2) On palm/fist - there are a few things, such as eggwhites and cottage cheese, where the palm/fist measurement doesn't quite work. In those cases, such as cottage cheese, switch to grams of protein or grams of carbs, depending on the food. It's easy - 1 gram of protein or carbs per pound of bodyweight per day. So if you weigh 150 pounds, you need 150 grams of protein and 150 grams of carbs. Divide that by 6 - that's 25 grams of each per meal. My cottage cheese has 13 g of protein per 1/2 cup - so you'd need about a cup as a protein portion. But for the most part, I'd recommend sticking to palm/fist. One of the great things about BFL is the SIMPLICITY of it!

3) The "Spriutein" drink is NOT what I would recommend. First of all, soy protein is very poor for building muscle mass - and more and more studies are showing that soy protein ain't necessarily 'all that'. 8 grams of sugar is WAY too much IMO. You actually don't have to use supplements or meal replacements at all - quite a few folks at www.leanandstrong.com (a GREAT community - many of us here also hang out there) use only 'real' food and have FABULOUS results. But if you're going to use a meal replacement shake (I DON'T recommend the bars unless it's a dire emergency) look for the following:

A protein blend primarily consisting of whey and casein (many of the 'lite' products, such as Myoplex Lite, do have some soy in them as they are targeted towards women for the most part).

VERY little sugar - since a lot of these MRPs are made with some dairy products, there is going to be a bit of lactose sugar, but try and keep it low. The Spriutein product is nearly 1/3 sugar! By comparison, Myoplex Lite has 190 calories, 17g carbs (2g sugar), and 25g protein. If you want to use an MRP, there are lots of pretty decent ones out there other than Myo Lite such as Lean Body for Her (Labrada) and MetRx Lite. And for goodness' sake DON'T buy 'em from GNC or the EAS website - that's the most expensive place to get products! Lean & Strong has a link to Netrition and they have REALLY good prices, also www.vitaglo.com is pretty cool (although their shipping is a bit slow - Netrition's is much faster IMO).

Another alternative is to buy a protein powder (my favorite is MetRx Protein Plus Vanilla Creme) and mix it with water and a carb such as fruit (try freezing it first) or a cooked, cold mashed sweet potato/yam (sounds yukky but TRUST ME - it's yummy!)

Whew! Feel free to post and lurk all ya want!

To all: Ya gotta check out the Events gallery at L&S - Erik has just posted a WHOLE SLEW of photos from the Lift for the Cure event...all from the lift...

Gotta go, Jim's been waiting patiently for the PC!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:57 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Oops...before Jim comes in let me address Cheddar's question regarding FF/SF products...

I actually do use the sugar free pancake syrup on my oatmeal! Just make sure you READ THE LABEL. Some of these products have more calories than you'd expect. The one I use has 10 calories per 1/4 cup. I've seen some with 40 calories per 1/4 cup.

I use both Splenda and Equal, SF Jello, SF/FF Jello Instant Pudding (in MODERATION - there's 100 calories in that little box - 3 tablespoons of instant powder is great in a Myo Lite pudding).

What I DON'T use is 'no sugar added' jellies and stuff like that - it actually HAS sugar but 'no sugar added' is a mighty broad statement (many of those 'fruit only jams' have APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE as a sweetener which is actually PURE SUGAR.

More later - gotta jam!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:19 PM   #11  

Hello Ladies

Thank you MrsJim for the information. Today is day 3 & my arms are still sore, but i'm up for my first lower body workout...I didn't get measured on monday, so i'm getting measured today..
The food part is still a little hard, I feel like i'm eating to much.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Don't worry, Patty, you'll soon get used to it - if you're putting the proper intensity into your workouts, you'll find yourself getting hungry every 2-3 hours which is PERFECT!

A tip - every weekday at Lean & Strong, my bud Tall Jen (TJ) posts a daily menu thread. Many newbies (and not-so-newbies) have found it helps IMMENSELY to post their planned daily menu for TJ to critique...also reading the thread is way helpful for new food ideas or hints. Highly recommended!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #13  

MrsJim - I had looked there last night, but noticed it was only on monday... maybe I didn't go far enough in the thread... so she does this daily? I will definitely look into that.
I did the lower body workout tonight, & it was not as hard to me as the upper.... we'll see tomorrow how my calves are
Once again thanks for all your input... I had been lurking around this site and the lean & strong like you suggested......
Old 07-18-2002, 10:41 AM   #14  

here is the link to today's http://216.97.116.55/cgi-bin/BBS/lea...pl?read=315633
Old 07-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #15  

Thank you Shonda777...
Closed Thread