Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #61  
No description available.

Lydia!!! Look at you!!

at 1922---weightlifting is the fountain of youth, is it not?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #62  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I am laughing myself silly here. Maybe I shouldn't correct the date because then Mel will tell me I don't look so good after all. Hahaha.
Ok, it was supposed to be 1982. I sept 3 blissful months in the UK hitchhiking all over the country. Even made it to the Orkneys (a bit windy up there).
I was leaving I think on July 2, princess Di (RIP!) just checked into hospital and Prince William was born that day (I may be a day or two off but hopefully not more than that). LOL

I did some gardening last night and my lower back is paying for it. I am worried that the P90X yoga is not that good for it. Too many upward dogs too early in the morning.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #63  
Workin' It

Alena - I didn't even catch the date when I read that! Funny! I was infatuated with the Charles & Diana saga when I was younger, then she was killed on the day of my first wedding. I should have taken that as a bad sign!

Lydia - great new pic! Diet soda leaves me feeling hungry, too, actually. I never drank it until the last year or so, and only have it now occasionally. Weird.

Cheryl - good job on the Skin the Cat, and nice time on that circuit! I found out this week that my best friend who moved to Phoenix last year joined a crossfit gym recently... they were also doing Skin the Cat this week, and he claims to love it. Some people are just crazy! But of course, I'm not including you in that crazy!

Birch - that does sound like a peaceful way to spend an evening. How did you do holding off on the eating last night? Feeling better from the sugar hangover?

HotWings - I start to worry when I'm not a little sore after a weight session! And weird on the carb craving, though it makes sense. Fiber + carb from the veggies curbs the crazy later.

Nelie - Phish Food always did me in on the ice cream front... and I love gum. Don't chew it much anymore because it is against our employee policies to chew gum on the line, and I never know when I'll be going back in the kitchen.

Mel -carbs and sugar can cause night sweats and insomnia? I didn't know that.

Worked out last night - 75 pushups in my circuit - 15 at the begninning, 40 as part of the dumbbell circuit, 10 in the middle, 10 at the end. Followed it with 20 mins on the stationary bike. Did 3.5 miles of treadmill intervals this morning. No pushups or pullups today. Might try to get some in when I get home, might not.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #64  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Glad you all liked the new avatar. I thought it was time to update. DS2 was just thrilled that I just walked through the door so DH had to shoot the picture.

Shannon: Great job on the pushups. I only got in 36 today. three sets of 12 worked into my deadlifts. I even wrote out a workout for myself today but forgot to take it out of my purse. So I remembered to throw them in between sets of leg work only once. Kept getting distracted the rest of the time.

Interesting about the diet soda affecting so many of us this way. ~sigh~ I REALLY SHOULD GIVE IT UP. (She says as she finishes her lunch with a diet cherry Coke soda) Okay. Maybe the last carton in the garage will be it for the month. I wonder if it would make me go mad if I give this up.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Nice guns, Lydia!

Now tell me what is wrong with this picture, below. Not enough body fat?

sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #66  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Okay, how many of you remember doing that as kids too. We should all be Skin the Cat pros right? It's all about reconnecting with that inner child.
Me, me! The dads in our neighborhood got together and put a playground quality swingset up, and we had rings on it (and a trapeze, and swings of course).

Love the new avatar Lydia, the arms esp. DS2 is a cutie as well.

Fran, Skwigg has that photo on her blog as well as a much more attractive one of Jennifer Aniston. Her arms look great.

Yesterday ended up being a rest day, what with my car in the shop, DH on jury duty all day (and now actually on a jury), then an inspector at the house for a couple hours in the evening (energy assistance audit - we passed too well, and are not eligible for much, and he said there's not much more we could do). So I got up and did cardio this morning (ugh, Lydia and Mel, how do manage it). It was really just a place holder....

It's raining here again today. Very good for helping the sod that DH put back onto his trench for the well pump wiring. Life in the country is fun, eh?

to everyone. Have a great Thursday.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #67  
Workin' It

Now, I just love Jennifer Anniston's arms in that pic. The Madonna one might give me nightmares... That is Madonna, isn't it?

Lydia - I gave up soda cold turkey several years ago. I just stopped drinking it altogether for years when I looked and realized I was consuming in excess of 100 ounces of Dr. Pepper every day. Hard at first, but it got easier as time went on. Now that was regular soda... Now, I have an occasional one here and there, sometimes regular sometimes diet, every few months or so. I usually get on a kick where I have several in a several days, then stop again for months. I don't even miss them anymore.

I need help figuring out another way to do modified pullups in my garage.... I've been doing hanging pullups off the bottom of my treadmill console, but I don't know that it will hold up long term. I don't have a dining room table to use, my little breakfast room table is way too light. I've thought about doing something with a stepstool and the bar on my Weider but can't quite visualize it... I have an IronGym Pullup Bar, but can't do a regular pullup yet. I'm thinking I might buy a band to do assisted? I know I've heard some of you guys talk about those, where would I find them? Amazon.com? Or someone mentioned resistance bands?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-06-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #68  
Let's salsa!

Shannon - ever thought of using a turned-over hospital bed? LOL

Alena (ducking & running)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #69  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Shannon - ever thought of using a turned-over hospital bed? LOL

Alena (ducking & running)
I know, I know... too much experimentation and a hospital bed is exactly where I'll end up!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #70  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Shannon, is it possible to place the pullup bar lower or no? You could always try standing on something but I know I'd probably fall if I tried that.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #71  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I know, I know... too much experimentation and a hospital bed is exactly where I'll end up!
Nope, you didn't get my joke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTaDjKoO2g
The scene comes at about 45 seconds into the vid.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #72  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Fran: OMG. I have never seen that pic. It scared the **** out of me.

Shannon: I have purchased flat bands to use with my clients this summer. I purchased them from a different site because I was using them for something other than pullups. However, I think this site does a good job of guiding you to the best selection for assisted pullups

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

Now you too may develop a love hate relationship with giant rubber bands. Actually, the ladies loved these. It was just a little something different AND they could easily pack them in their suitcase to maintain their strength training program while traveling. (shorter bands than the assisted pullup bands) This is a link to the ones I used this summer:

http://www.resistancebandtraining.co...-medium-bands/

Alena: Too funny. Yep. That would work. Good to know if DH ever has me committed.

Last edited by Lydia227; 08-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It's recent Lydia, from just this week - Monday nite maybe? Looks like she's recently taken things to an extreme. Here's the full story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ing-veins.html
Yoga did this to her? I don't think so!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #74  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

She definitely needs to fatten up! Eat something girl!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #75  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Nope, you didn't get my joke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTaDjKoO2g
The scene comes at about 45 seconds into the vid.
Oh, yeah Alena, I remember that scene now! I just have a hard time thinking about things that she would be doing and imagining myself doing them. She just looks so, well, buff in that film! And I feel far from buff. Though watching that clip did reinvigorate my exercise bug.. which could result in DH having me committed, so like Lydia at least I'll be ready! LOL

Nelie - this one hooks over the top of the door frame, so can't put it any lower... Might try the stepstool idea with it though... Or look for the tension bar that can go at any height...

Lydia - thanks for the links!

Fran - just read that article, so the trainer says Madonna got those veins from yoga? Really?

ETA - wow, planning the rest of my exercise week and the weather minder on my browser shows a picture of a smoking thermometer with mercury bursting out the top for Saturday... maybe I need to rethink my run at the park Saturday plans...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-06-2009 at 04:43 PM.