Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Don't run in fear. Cheryl started the craziness. We do all wort of stuff here. I think Cheryl and I are probably the lunatic fringe.
Don't see me arguing with that statement!

Do stick around Bingo, some of us lift a little more sanely.

Lydia - when is the moving date? Are you looking to be in a house when you do? I can see that you'd want to have your kids start at school(s) where they'll be rather than move them if you start out renting, then buy. Have you listed your house there?

It's a gorgeous day here. As was yesterday, which was nice as we had our dept picnic. I actually ate sensibly! 1 burger, a spoonful of beans, broccoli salad, part of DH's chicken thigh, and 1/2 moose brat (eh, not so tasty). No dessert, and only water.

TOday I'm harvesting. I've finished spinach, and peas are next, followed by the few raspberries we have. It's been so dry they didn't do well at all. GOod thing we got lots of strawberries and that blueberries were on sale at the grocery. Oh and DH picked some broccoli and a normal sized zucchini (as opposed to the log-sized one from last week!).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #17  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey Pat

Thanks for asking. I'll give you a quick update:

We returned from Fairfax last week. Unfortunately I didn't find a house. I am working with a great realtor who is keeping me updated with all new listings the moment they post. I have narrowed my search into two school "pyramids". So that's progress. But we are looking for a neighborhood/street that has sidewalks, a back yard for the kids to play (read flat and big enough for a trampoline) and where attached two car garages are common.

I'm just now beginning to find some candidates for housing. As you mentioned we prefer to buy and not rent for the very reason you suggested. We don't want the boys to switch schools a second time.

What we have decided is to remove our self imposed deadline of three weeks to purchase a home. I'm keeping the boys enrolled in their schools in Ohio. We will continue the search and move in June. I'm sure the right house will come along between now and then. This will also give us time to commute back and forth and find the best neighborhood.

The amount we will be paying for our next home will be just so much higher that we don't want to rush into a poor decision.

My home will go on the market in April. I really don't have too many concerns about it selling. The crummy part, one of many about this, is that I am now unpacking all the things I packed in preparation for the move.

Our realtor sent me a link to a beautiful place this evening. I swear if DH reconsiders and says "You know," "lets move on this", after I've unpacked again, he's doing all the work himself. I'm booking a vacation and I'll meet him at the new address.

I'm envious of your garden Pat. You know what's in mine? Two hopeful tomato plants that were given to me from a sympathetic girlfriend out of her own garden. It took me three days to remember to pick them up, two days to plant and water them. They are barely hanging on at this point.

Mel: Enjoy your fithy fifty. Mine is going to include a lot of overhead lifts (boxes) hauled into the basement.

Welcome to the thread Bingo!

To everyone else!

Last edited by Lydia227; 08-02-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #18  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone!

Wow, I missed all the 'filthy fifty' craziness over the weekend. I'm up for trying it on your birthdate Alena, but some things will have to modify due to availability in my garage. I'm also in on the 500 pushups and pullups, if my hanging pullups can count. I'm not up for real ones yet. I'll have to figure out how many I've been doing in my circuits - I think last week I did 80 pushups and 60 pullups as part of the circuits, this week will flip flop so should be 40-50 pushups and 120 pullups. Hmm.

Bingo - sometimes I think we are all crazy, not just Mel.

Lydia - sounds like a good plan on the house shopping, good luck!

I let myself get emotionally sandbagged yesterday, so didn't sleep well last night, so didn't get up and exercise this morning, leaving me feeling emotionally sandbagged again... bad cycle. Going to work out when I get home, a dumbbell circuit and the start of my 500 pushups/pullups and then some floor cleaning cardio I believe. Tomorrow I will get myself up and out of bed... I had eight work days in a row of getting up and exercising in, I'm disappointed in myself that I skipped it today.

to everyone else! Have a great day.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lydia, good luck on the house hunt! I was disappointed that we found our place after 2 hours of looking. I was hoping for many weeks of it but denied

I did 40 modified pullups/pushups last night.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #20  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Speaking of tomatoes LOL - I have two very scrawny cherry potato plants in a pot and they are dwindling. I don't think they have enough sun even though I put them to the best possible spot. THere are a few tiny green tomatoes forming on them but I am sure that, even if they actually ripen, my dogs will kindly eat them off the plant for me - as every previous year.
So the only Tomato in the house will be myself - plus maybe some in the fridge.

Arms and shoulders done. I am yawning and I think I will take a nap. God bless long weekends!

Shannon, I think it's more than normal to need a break after 8 days of exercise.

Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #21  
Workin' It

Alena - I can't take credit for eight days in a row of workouts, just eight workdays of getting up early. Though in looking at it, I have done 12 of the last 14, with only the 2 Sundays off the last two weeks. That does make me feel better, thanks!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #22  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hiiii buff friends! It is *I* the infamous BINGOWINGS!

Just letting you know that I changed my username. I do not play bingo, I *do* have bingo wings, but would rather have HOT wings, and everytime I see the word "Bingo" I think of Bingo the Clown. So.. I have a more positive and sparkly new name now.

WaterRat: Sounds like you have a great little garden going there! My parents are just starting to get ripe tomatoes.. it is the only time I will eat a tomato like an apple. The store bought stuff just does not compare to home grown!

Lydia: Hopefully you can relax about the moving thing for awhile now. My DH changes his mind daily about things, so I know how that goes too!

Got my cardio in this morning. Psyching myself up for the strength training tomorrow! I can't wait until I have all the breathing & correct forms/techniques down as second nature. For now, it is a mental workout as well.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #23  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Well I'm glad I popped in here today and I love the new August thread! It inspired me to get on the floor just now for 10 quick pushups. This was just the motivation I needed.

I'm going to try to come here a post a bit more often this month. Maybe it will help keep me on track. I'm still struggling with food but keeping the damage fairly small.

To all the gardeners out there, this is the first year that I didn't plant any tomatoes but I think I took a good summer off! July's weather was terrible and the lack of sun seems to be taking its toll. My raspberry plants though are thriving. Anyone know what to do with some extra?

August has started off beautifully, I must add, and what great weather for our long weekend. Tomorrow...back to work.

Shannon - maybe your workout record will inspire me! 12 out of 14 days is great!

Lydia - good luck on the house hunting and the packing/unpacking...I hope the craziness ends soon.

to everyone...hope to see you all more often!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #24  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
To all the gardeners out there, this is the first year that I didn't plant any tomatoes but I think I took a good summer off! July's weather was terrible and the lack of sun seems to be taking its toll. My raspberry plants though are thriving. Anyone know what to do with some extra?
Gosh, I wish you could send me some! Mine are awful, due to the fact that we had no rain for nearly 6 weeks - and hand watering just wasn't doing it. We had lots of blossoms, and they were pollinated, but most, though red, are small and misshapen. Sigh. Lots of new growth so, so things may be better next year.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #25  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Elisa, I recommend that you make some homemade raspberry jam, and send some to each of your crazy friends on this forum. Any time you need suggestions, I'm there for you, buddy!

HotWings, I like the new name! Glad we didn't scare you off. Have fun with the strength training!

Mel, I think I'll take that fringe comment as a compliment, thank you!

Everybody else, !

Missed my workout today, dangit! Had to work late morning this morning, so thought I would take care of the home chores this morning, then go do the job, which I thought would be a short one, then hit the gym for the evening workout time. Well, what was supposed to be a quick parts change on a dishwasher turned out to be a wiring and plumbing project, which just took longer than expected, so I missed the workout time at my gym. The good news is, the job turned out well and I made some extra money. The bad news is, tomorrow I will be stuck doing whatever stinking metcon I missed out on today. If it's a heavy lifting focus day, I'm not too proud to beg, though, so maybe my trainer will let me do both. I hate missing out on heavy lifting days!

Okay, I'm off to bed, so I can hit the gym early tomorrow morning.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #26  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning! Back from very early gymn workout. Cardio. I did it. Well done, me.

Elisa: extra raspberries? 1. Send some here. 2. You could make a pavlova but that involves meringue and cream so perhaps not. 3. Add to porridge or other cereal. That's quite delicious.

Hot Wings: great new name. And welcome.

Heavy rain is forecast for today so not much outdoor stuff today. Not good.

Must have more coffee. I seem to be speaking in telegraphese. Have a good day, all.

ETA: Cheryl,you were going to bed just as I was leaving my early morning gymn session!

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-04-2009 at 04:54 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #27  
Mel

Cheryl, of course it was a compliment!

Silver, glad to see you back! Are you done all your wood chopping and hauling workouts?

Lydia, I love to look a houses. I've finally stopped going to open houses because I know we'll never move again until we drastically downsize, and I sure don't want to! It's not nearly as much fun under pressure, tho. So you'll be in Columbus for another school year?

Yesterday was cardio and heavy legs and I'm disappointingly NOT sore. Today I did light cardio and will go to cross fit, so who knows what is in store! A new CF gym opened near me, and I may go for one session some time this week. I have to decide whether to keep buying sessions or just get an unlimited monthly pass. Not sure my body can take it frequently enough for that to make sense financially.

Off to the wars,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #28  
No description available.

Hi guys!!

mmmm.....raspberries....

So today I incorporated pushups into my sprint interval workout. Sprint 200-300 meters, drop, do 10 pushups, repeat. I got 6 rounds in before my arms were TOAST. Could that have anything to do with the fact I did a killer chest/shoulder workout last night? Hmmmm.......

Have a great day all!

So, 60 pushups, 0 pullups (and Shannon, mine will be modified pullups of all sorts, I still can't do an independant pullup)

Last edited by midwife; 08-04-2009 at 09:06 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #29  
Let's salsa!

Good morning!

P90X yoga this morning. I have to agree with all those who had said it's boring. (Lydia, forgive me). It is very challenging though and I sweat like a piggie but I only wish he had thrown in more variation into the routine (i.e. into the first 45 minutes. I have to yet progress to the second 45 minutes).

Elisa, I am really liking Cheryl's suggestion to make raspberry jam and send each of us a jar. LOL If not, how about I will send you Beetle Bug for two weeks and she will be eating the raspberries straight off the bush. No need to harvest anything.

HotWings - welcome. I did like the name Bingo (and I did not associate with any clowns). Since English is not my mother language I have a hard time calling anyone anything in plural. So I think I will call you Wingo. How's that? :-)

Birchie - good job on the cardio! (and Elisa, you on the push ups, too!).

Cheryl, I was wondering if your new job already started and how it's going. So you are also a budding plumber. Woman, is there anything you cannot do? I am seriously getting a Minderwertigkeit [did I spell it right? My German got very rusty] complex here.

Lydia - I think there will be a mini move in the near future for me, too. Not an actual move but I need to have my hardwood floor refinished (that's basically the entire house except for kitchen and bathroom. That will involve moving everything into the basement and the rest of the stuff into one bedroom that would have to be done later. I am not looking forward to this. The house will be inhabitable for a while. Pooches will have to go the kennel. I don't know if I won't be more upset than them. They are used to their comfort, being the princesses that they are.

Mel, Shannon and everybody else - waving at ya. I have to tank up some coffee and get my brain into gear.

Alena
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #30  
Let's salsa!

Eh, I missed midwife. My post was sitting on my monintor unfinished for a long time and she posted in the meantime. 60 pushups - Midwife, you have an entire MONTH to do 500, you don't have to squeeze them all into a single week. :-)
You rock!