3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Kettlebells - how many lbs should I start out with? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/176262-kettlebells-how-many-lbs-should-i-start-out.html)

workingmom1008 07-09-2009 01:44 AM

Kettlebells - how many lbs should I start out with?

I'm currently using 10-lb each free weights & wanted to know if I can start out with 10-lb kettlebells too or should I start lighter?

Depalma 07-09-2009 07:23 AM

Pavel's recommendations for women from Enter the Kettlebell are:

Average Women: Start with 18lbs, Ideally buy this set: 18, 26, 35
A Strong Women: Start with 26lbs, Ideally buy this set: 26, 35, 44

nelie 07-09-2009 11:05 AM

I would agree with Pavel's assessment. Kettlebells really work your larger muscle groups so larger weight is generally required. I started with a 15 lb weight just to try it out but really that is too light, 20-25 lb weights are where I like to be at for single arm stuff and 35-45 for double arm stuff.

Tomato 07-09-2009 11:36 AM

Yeap. Learn from my mistake. I wasted money on 12.5 lb kettlebells (but they were very nicely discounted at that time) and I shouldn't have bothered. Way too light.

workingmom1008 07-10-2009 12:21 AM

Thank you for all of the tips! I did read one should start with heavier kettlebells but I wasn't sure.

denvertechchick 07-19-2009 10:47 AM

It is so awesome to find a group that uses kettlebells! At my gym, they are in the "corner of mystery" - I haven't seen anyone else even try them!

I'm wondering, though - have you seen Pavel Tsatsouline's videos? Would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Depalma 07-20-2009 08:32 AM

I like the Pavel videos that I have seen.

Enter the Kettlebell covers mostly the basics. If you are looking for a wide variety of exercises here you will be disappointed. However, these basics, mainly the sumo deadlift, swing, snatch, clean, clean and jerk, turkish get up are well taught and include several drills to ensure that you are performing these crucial basics properly and safely. It is vital to get these basics, down perfectly before trying to expand your repertoire as almost all of the other exercises you will find are going to be based off of these basics. This is especially true of the swing. Another video I have seen that I like in this regard is Brett Jones' Kettlebell Basics for Strength Coaches and Personal Trainers which teaches the basics well and shows common errors and compensation patterns.

I have not seen the video for From Russia With Tough Love (although I have read the book). In book form, it was Enter the Kettlebell aimed at women. I assume (but I could be wrong) that the video is similar.

The other video of Pavel's that I have is More Russian Kettlebell Challenges which has a lot more variety. Again all exercises are well taught with drills ,stretches, and the demonstration of common errors to ensure proper performance.

If you are looking for a LOT of variety, then Steve Cotter's encyclopedia of Kettlebell lifting would be good. All exercises are well demonstrated, but I believe it is overkill.

denvertechchick 07-20-2009 10:14 AM

Thank you, Depalma! That's exactly what I wanted to know! :)

Pavel used to teach kettlebell classes in my city, but I never got around to signing up for one. I really wish I had! No more waiting - off to the DVD section....

nelie 07-20-2009 10:19 AM

I have 2 of the books. I've read that the books are better than the DVDs. People generally recommend the books over the DVD or to get the book if you are getting the DVD.

myrrah 10-24-2009 10:58 PM

oops wrong thread sorry!

itsmeangelia 08-07-2011 10:41 AM

I started with a 5 and currently using a 15lb- love kettle bell training have lost so many inches and 22lbs so far!

Aunt Sheshie 08-07-2011 12:03 PM

Better to go a little too heavy than too light... I also started with a 5 lb., never having even picked up a KB before, but right away I knew it was way too light... moved up through 10#, 15#, & now use a 25# for swings... still use the 15# for presses, etc., but I'm working on increasing that...

Best wishes in your KB adventure...

hugs :hug: