Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #121  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Mel,
Your push ups in a pike on a ball - is this it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1toO...eature=related
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #122  
Let's salsa!

Swimmimg: done! I love Mondays - the guards at the pool are virtually picking their noses as there is usually 1 person in each lane.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #123  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey peeps, just a flyby this morning, so hi to all.

Lydia, they don't know what vehicle they'll use for the women's class yet. The competition isn't until end of August, I think. They're going to test out some cars, I think, to try and find the right weight. It's a pull for time, so whoever pulls it the full distance the fastest will win that event. Apparently, they draw for order on the first event, then after that, it's reverse order, so if you win the first event, you get to go last on the next event, which gives you more rest time. Oy, that would be some motivation right there to do your best!

The CF Report:
Skills and a short lifting metcon today...

Skills: I worked on rope descents, and I think I've got it nailed, but will need some protection for my right shin, or else need some shoes with more rubber on the bottom, maybe the old converse shoes? Trouble with my running shoes is that there's hard plastic in the arch on the bottom of the shoe, and the rope just slips right by that, no grip. I have to use the ball of my foot to grip, and that's just less than ideal. Other than the shoe issue, though, I'm ready to do the rope climb, I think, all the way. Didn't do it today, but will give it a go in one of my warm-ups soon.

The WOD:
"Grace"
30 clean and jerks for time (135 men/95 women)

My time was 5:28, scaled the weight to 65#, which felt right, since I am still working on my jerk. I tried regular jerks and split jerks, and I just like the split jerk better, since I can get under the bar quicker that way. I needed the practice, and also was not ready for a long brutal metcon, so I really enjoyed this workout today!

Okay, got to go do a yard job, make some money. I'll check in with you peeps later!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #124  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all! Wow, everyone had busy weekend! Welcome home Elisa. We went to Nova Scotia on vacation several times during my childhood. Living in Massachusetts it was a long, but doable, drive. My BIL in Maine takes the ferry over at least once a year - his wife gets very carsick and but deal with ferry. It's a lovely place, I agree.

Update on my PN program: We're moving from 6 weight sessions a week to 4, with the other 2 days now for cardio (1/2 hour). That will be more manageable for me, but I'm still on for at least 3 days of early morning workouts this week - Tues/Thurs/Fri The motto for the PN ladies' group is "I'll do what I have to do" I feel like I have very little in the way of excuses when I read that some of the others are for instance: a nursing mother with an 8 month old, plus 3 and 5 year olds; a nurse who works 12 hours shifts, with a 2 hour drive each way, etc. Me I "just" have a (theoretically) 8 hour/day job, plus evening commitments.

Woops, just had a phone call that requires some immediate work on my part, catch y'all later....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #125  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Pat: Hope you were able to put out that flame at work without too much trouble. Good luck meeting the challenge of the PN program. Give the early morning workouts time to settle in for you.

Cheryl: How many pairs of shoes will eventually line your closet that are just for your CrossFit workouts.

Okay. Big News. Does anyone here follow golf? You know, it's that sport where they use iron in a completely different way than we do? I just found out this afternoon that my 19 year old cousin is playing in the US Open Wednesday! I'm so excited for him. His dad is going to caddy for him. He actually was a second alternate and we didn't think he would actually play but he got the call today. Go David!

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.a...36619&nav=3w6q

http://www.courierpress.com/photos/g...-display/4093/

~okay. I'm all done now. I'll go back to my corner of the forum and behave.~

Last edited by Lydia227; 06-15-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #126  
Mel

Yay for Lydia's cousin!!

Alena- The video you posted is a pike to push up. I like them also.
But this is what I was referring to. I've never successfully done the medicine ball version. I've tried a few times much to onlookers' amusement.

Heavy leg workout and morning cardio today. And some not-so-great food choices

Cheryl- my previous gas guzzling vehicle, a Nissan Pathfinder affectionately known as "Darth" was the ladies' pull vehicle at the gym. It's a LOT easier to pull my new Civic
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #127  
Let's salsa!

Mel,
I think for now I will try my version of the pike to push up. Yours would have me land on my head at the very first attempt and who know what nonsense I would be posting then. You never cease to amaze me.

Cheryl,
Sorry that I forgot to comment on the vehicle pull. My jaw just dropped.
Rope climb - even though I was a little on the plump size all my youth, I actually like to climb rope. And I could do it, surprise. I wish I had somewhere to try it these days.

I slept soo good last night. I should swim every day - in the evening, I cannot wait to fall in bed. Legs done, and if I can, I will do some chest/back stuff in the evening.

Lydia - woot woot woot to David!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #128  
Let's salsa!

Mel,
You shouldn't have said anything about not-so-good food choices. I was a piglet and ate an ice cream bar. And yes, I read the list of ingredients. And I was so proud of myself for having resisted when they were handed out yesterday at work.

Alena
Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #129  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I slept soo good last night. I should swim every day - in the evening, I cannot wait to fall in bed.
I find that too, Alena. When I was taking lessons last fall they were from 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm, and basically I showered, threw on some sweats, drove home (10 min max) and undressed and fell into bed and was immediately asleep.

So - pat on the back to me - I did get up at 5:30 this morning, and went to the gym for a good UBWO and was home by 7 to have breakfast with DH, shower and dress for work. I feel really good knowing that the exercise is done! Did I tell you we're now moving from 6 weight sessions a week to 4, with 2 cardio sessions. A much nicer schedule IMHO! Tomorrow will be cardio, probably on the elliptical.

I have a physical therapy appt this afternoon so I can get some help with my knees. I did my LBWO last night, but had to cut back the sets of lunges which is what bothers me worst. On the upside though I was able to do one-legged deadlifts and split-squats - not a lot, but I managed a set without falling on my face!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #130  
Workin' It

Good afternoon everyone -

Lydia - woo hoo to David! I bet he is excited!

Pat - high five on the morning workout!

Alena - I've tried Mel's pike press and fell promptly on my head. I can successfully do two sets of the basic pike, but toss the press into the mix and it is all over... I might give yours a try, looks more doable. (She says as she rubs the top of her head in memory of whacking it on the floor... )

Cheryl - yeah, a longer break before you have to pull a car would definitely be encouragement to do well in the first challenge! Wow!

Mel - I'm sure pulling the Civic is easier than the Pathfinder! Do you love your Civic? I've become a Honda convert in the last few years (Element to Civic to current Accord) and recently we got my MIL into a Civic.

I'm still fighting the sinus infections, somewhat congested, but it is all in my head, ears and neck. Don't feel much in my chest anymore. I am starting to have some pretty heavy nose bleeds though. I did some cardio on the treadmill last night and was wiped out after ten minutes. I of course pushed it to 30 minutes and was pretty dizzy when I got done. I don't know if I'll exercise today or not - still a little disoriented when I move my head too fast.

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 06-16-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #131  
Let's salsa!

See, I knew I knew I would end up on my head, didn't even have to try! Hehehe.
Would you believe it that I actually never ever had a nosebleed in my entire life? (Knock on wood - I hope I don't walk into a post and inflict it on myself today). Sorry to hear you are still not quite chipper yet - here are some healing for you.

Pat, I laughed when I read how you showered, drove home and went immediately to bed - I think it generally takes about an hour and a half for me to get sleepy but hey, I am a bit younger than you. Once I am your age, I will be lucky if I don't fall asleep behind the wheel.
And congrats on getting your exercise done in the morning - I love the feeling of knowing I started the day on the right foot (which, of course, doesn't mean I can't stumble later on and get the wrong foot forward, as documented by the incident with the ice cream bar).
Ok, going back to reading some boring logs.

Alena
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #132  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Pat: Great job in getting up early today. See, isn't it great! Don't lose the momentum. I'm telling ya, keep doing it and see how much more you can get done with the rest of your day. Although I will confess to occasionally needing a 30 minute nap in the late afternoon...but them I'm good to go!

Alena: I so wish I could swim for exercise. I took lessons, had to stop half way through but I really love how relaxing the water is post workout. Maybe I should just settle for a bath once in a while. Oh, and this one is for you and your "Beloved Ice Cream Bar" (how many of you know where this is going? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJFFPz9_U-I

Shannon: Oh dear. I really hope you don't push yourself with these nosebleeds. If you are dizzy then you need to take it easy.

Oh and that pike pushup from Mel? I saw the video and the moment he said the hips go up over the shoulders I felt myself falling over. I'd only attempt that with a spotter.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #133  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, thanks for the laugh. Congrats to David...that is awesome! I'll definitely have a collection of shoes: rope climbing shoes, weight lifting shoes, running shoes...lol! I've also been eyeballing more shoes and boots just for "fashion" since losing weight. I finally feel like I could dress "just for fun" and actually not be uncomfortable.

Mel, that looks bigger than the truck we were pulling, but were the ladies at your gym pulling hand-over-hand, or was it with a harness and like, um..walking while pulling? Funny about the "Darth" nickname. A friend of mine from the rink calls my old van "The Creature", lol.

Everybody else, ! (nothing personal, just my brain is fried right now)

So, drumroll...I did my first rope climb today, in the workout! Also worked on kipping pull-ups after the WOD, with some help from my friends. I didn't realize how close I am to getting one, but everybody who was watching said my kip swing is good, and that I just need to pull sooner, and pull like I mean it, so I might get one when I'm more rested. Today, by the time I was close enough with the kip to get one, my arms were shredded and weak, so I just couldn't make the pull. Yesterday's hedge trimming marathon didn't help, then the rope climbs took care of what was left.

Today's WOD was:
Run 400 meters
2 rope climbs
(4 rounds for time)

I asked my trainer if I could try the rope climbs today, and he let me, but told me to sub 1 rope climb per round instead of 2. After the first climb, I knew why he did that. I got 2 rope climbs/rounds, then on the 3rd round, I couldn't grip with my feet anymore. I tried switching to the baccar ladder, but never did get the hang of that, so ended up having to do rope lowers for the last 2 rounds. I hate those fricking things, so I'm super motivated to get where I can do the rope climbs and/or the ladders. Anyway, I was stoked about getting 2 rope climbs today. I definitely need some shin protection, though, for the descents. I got a little rope burned on the second descent, because my shoes kept slipping and I had to grip more with my legs. My time was 19:51. Typical time was about 12 mins for the firebreathers, and 15 mins for normal humans.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #134  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I lost my wheel, I really didn't lose it. I was wondering why my trike skidded and I couldn't move and my husband said my wheel fell off. I was going slow up a sidewalk ramp after crossing a street. I was glad that it fell off then rather than when I was going down some steep hills...

This morning I did kettlebells/NRLW. I'm still struggling with workouts in that I do them for a few days, then skip a week. I need to be consistent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #135  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, Lydia, that was just a little too weird for me.

I plan two more early morning workouts this week, then next week DH is gone so I'll try for M-Th. I leave Thurs night on vacation, so my workouts will be when they work out with my schedule.

Shannon - count me in the Honda club. I'm on my second CRV. My Admin Asst drives an Element which one of couriers calls a toaster.....

Cheryl - good job on the rope climbs and the almost pull-ups! I'm still working on the assisted chin-ups/pull-ups, but was able to take 20 # off the assisted amount today. And I did bench presses with a "real" bar (i.e. the kind you put plates on as opposed to those with built in plates). I'm feeling