Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #151  
Mel

Nelie- I think it's great that you are moving out of your "comfort zone". Kayaking is wonderful! If you get really adventurous, there are a few spots on the um, I can't remember the name of the park, canal or river near DC where I used to play in some pretty serious rapids. I think I remember you saying you had hiked there.

Alena-
Quote:
So if I follow that plan, I have only NINE MONTHS to unassisted chin ups. LOL Sounds like a pregnancy.
That's hilarious. I think he or you meant to decrease assistance, not increase.

Shannon- glad you are feeling a bit better. You've had quite a virus!

Crossfit today:

1000 meter row (other people ran 800 meters- my hip hurt too much)

then

21-15-9 (3 sets, rep count)

burpees

KB swings

push jerk

1000 meter row

For time

Then we did 3 sets of kb windmills and some ab work. I was raining rather than sweating.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #152  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, you must be going to one of those CF Endurance gyms. Your workouts are always a mile long! There's one by my house that does that, but I decided to make the drive to the other gym, because they are more "traditional", ie, short and intense, except for the occasional "hero" wod. At my gym, 1000 meter row would be like a focus day workout, with the rest of the time spent practicing handstands or something like that. I'd probably just keel over if I had that workout you just did!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #153  
Mel

haha, I'm no hero and it's a fairly new crossfit affiliate. I did the 1000 meter row because I bailed out of the 800 meter run. I can't run outside on hard ground. The impact on hips knees, and other parts is just too much. One other woman did the rowing with me and our times were longer than the runners! I am always the oldest there and the 30-35 yr old male trainers just don't get it that older women who've had kids or have been heavy just don't o well with high impact activities.

I'm only limping on one side today I'm fine as long as I keep moving, but standing or long periods of sitting are murder!

Last night I was thinking about all the people who have passed through this forum. Are ay of you out there lurking? On plan or off, please drop in and say hello

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #154  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - You are thinking of the Potomac. We are actually just going to do our lake for now. There is another class that we may sign up for called 'river kayaking' and I think they do go to the Potomac for that. There are also a few different rivers around though like Monocacy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #155  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Got back into strength training yesterday, and sore today! I'm going to post my workout later and see if you guys can suggest things to leave out or tweak - I started with a full body card from ExRx.net with the specific direction of only one compound per section, some optional ones if an isolated area of focus was needed, like . Made my fancy list with the selected exercises and a list of a few alternates and optional exercises, started out fine - 35-40 minutes, smooth. I've since added in lots of stuff (like 10 mins of ab work, swiss ball exercises, ywlt, etc) and started doing most of the optional from the list aas well. So yesterday I spent 1:15 and am nicely sore today. I may need to consider splits, or taking some things out if I want to keep to the total body workout each time... I do feel good today, even sore!

Nelie - kayaking sounds like fun!

Mel - I'm not surprised that you are a little sore today, wow! So how long did it take to complete that crossfit workout?

Cheryl - how do you do pullups with a band? I've seen in referenced before but never got a good mental picture of it.

Pat - high five on two days of early workouts!

Alena - hope you got more sleep last night! I looked up the Gravitron machine, I might be able to do some of those. I got my pullup bar back out again last night and started with jumping up to the chin up position, holdiing there and lowering down. Got to start somewhere!

to everyone else!

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #156  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Zumba class last night was wonderful but my foot and hip are very mad at me today. :-(

Yes, Mel, I meant decreasing ... oh well,my brain is very feeble at times.
I will post more later, just took a quick look in between tickets.
Nelie, I envy you the kayaking, my only problem is that I would prefer a boat I could quickly fall out from if it flips over. My inability to hold breath under water combined with being stuck in a turned-over kayak ... you know what I mean.

Later, gators.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I needed some kind of "switcheroo" today. Work was so horrible yesterday and the day before! My one day off just has to be worlds different. So I bought an M&FHers mag in the grocery store. I started with the 'all-in-one arms' and flipped to the Vacation Count Down work-out ...

I've done a nice upper body work-out that contained some things I haven't done in a long time. It feels good. As soon as I'm done this water, I'll hop on the elliptical. Oh yes, and I've already walked this morning.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #158  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tomato - I'm thinking the ones we will be in are the sit on tops. I can do the sit on tops, not sure about being in a kayak.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #159  
Working My Way Back Down

Day 3 of early am! Yay! I'll stop cheering about it in a few days I promise. I did get home and DH had the table set and everything out for breakfast. I nuked my oatmeal and when I went to take it out (our microwave is over the stove) my arms were shaking - guess the UB work was strenuous enough. I decreased the assistance level again for chin-ups/pull-ups, plus increased the weight on the DB bench press. Feels good to be sore now, ask me again tomorrow! Oh well, Sat is cardio and Sunday a rest day.

Nelie - hope you have fun with the kayaks. Like Alena, I'm uneasy in the sit-in ones. DH is big on canoeing, but I'm not crazy about it unless it's on a nice still lake and I'm fishing.

It rained here overnight, and it's still very overcast. Kitties went out for their usual morning routine when I got up - they were soaked when they came in. Of course, they barely realize they're wet, so they want to be patted, sit on your lap, etc.

DH is leaving for his canoe trip in the morning, and I have a fun quilting with GFs weekend planned! Then next week I need to workout early all 4 mornings so I have the evenings for packing for my cruise (and a city council meeting on Tues). I leave Thurs night to stay at my friend's house where we'll be picked up early Fri morning to go to the airport. Can't wait, I need a vacaion badly!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #160  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Last night I was thinking about all the people who have passed through this forum. Are any of you out there lurking? On plan or off, please drop in and say hello
I am here, studiously lurking and not especially on plan for the last month. Nose, teeth and lower back probs have all conspired to keep me away from regular, hard and full workouts. This also means I eat more (from annoyance and boredom, I think, rather than because I don't have enough to do). This drives me mad but I'm getting there, slowly.

I lurk because I don't have much to say at the moment. It's good to read your posts.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:58 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Dang! I'm impressed reading all the recent posts here! Y'all are doing GREAT! Thanks for inspiring me to keep rockin' on with my own weight lifting & cardio workouts!

Friday's exercise session:

* 55 minutes on the Stair Master
* 1 hr + of overall body weight lifiting (I'm doing my abs on Saturday since I got to 24 hr fitness really late... only other machine I had to skip out onwas to work my lat muscles... felt a little weird in my right knee when I was doing my bench presses, so I'm not sure if I should skip leg presses on Monday's weight lifting session in favor of other leg exercises.)

Overall, I felt GREAT from my cardio/weight lifting workout today!!

Keep up the terrific work everyone!!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, I lurk too.

I'm just so spotty with my exercise this last while. I'm outta joint with lifting. I figure if I keep reading and post once in a while when I do do a decent work out ... it'll grow back into a regular habit.

I'm glad you are all here for us lurkers.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #163  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

My swim yesterday was very non-fabulous. In comes squealing and screaming a truckload of school kids .... apparently in celebration of the end of the school year (hmm, in my time, school ended on June the 30th unless it fell on the weekend) so the pool had only two lanes for public swim. I opted out after 30 minutes ... the noise was deafening.
But more importantly (I could have blocked out the noise if I really had to) my shoulders haven't quite recovered from the 9 sets of everything the other night LOL so I took it easy. I fell asleep last night, totally wiped out, at 6 pm so no abs.
I am just checking in on my way to a spinning class and it''s raining!!! Hallellujah!

Have a nice weekend, everyone.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #164  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Yup, I lurk too.

I'm just so spotty with my exercise this last while. I'm outta joint with lifting. I figure if I keep reading and post once in a while when I do do a decent work out ... it'll grow back into a regular habit.

I'm glad you are all here for us lurkers.
Nice to see you, Susan. I'm always impressed when you just say 'hullo' or 'Morning!'. Even if you don't say anything else it reminds us (and you?) that you're still in the game.

Perhaps I'll try that. But I'm not convinced that posting frequently actually helps me. Often it seems to hinder. I know that I can't keep up with people and their developments. And sometimes the effort to translate from North American language and life is just too much! (No offence and all that. )
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #165  
Workin' It

Silverbirch - no offense taken! You post whenever you want! Hope you feel better soon!

Alena - annoying about the inrush of folks at the pool! Though sounds like a little break was a good idea!

Susan - I'm inconsistent with the weights lately, too, but figure any is better than nothing!

Tea - great job!

Pat - about the AM workouts all you want! If I could make myself get up in the morning I would be cheering too!

I did 4 miles of HIIT (incline and speed changes) on the treadmill yesterday, wow... 83 degrees in the garage when I started, 85 when I finished. I have to find a way to cool the garage better...

Good weekend everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote