Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/261/150

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up Lunges, Squats and Chin ups, oh my....

Ok, so first of all....major props to all of you who suggested that I try to do more free weights and total body movements. You guys are SOOOOOOOOO right on about it.

I'm still doing my circuit training, but I've added in some adjustments. Instead of doing the gluttes (I have no idea how to spell that word) machine, I'm doing lunges. I swear to you, I have never worked out that hard in my life! I did 75 lunges on each leg (broken up into my circuit) and my heart rate got up to 170! I was sweating and felt so many muscle groups working all at once. I felt it in my hamstrings, my glutes, my quads and even in my abs! It was awesome. I'm pretty sore today, but so proud of myself for doing this.

I'm also doing some chin ups. They're assisted chin ups, however. There's no way I can lift my body up at this point. I have about 90 pounds of assistance helping me.

I'm doing squats as well. There's this squat machine that I'm starting out on until I can get better. I did 3 sets of 15.

there's this other machine, that I have no idea what it is, but I'm doing it too. Well, I say machine, but it's not really. It's this thing that looks like an upright bench. You put your elbows on these pads on each side and grasp a handle that extends upward from those bars. Then you have to lift your lower body up toward your middle body. I can only do 3 sets of 5 on this one, but it really feels good to do even that. The first time I did it, I could only do 2 at a time.

As I get better and more balanced, I'm going to incorporate more free weights.

Thanks again, for all who offered your advice and support! You guys are awesome!
2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #2  
Mel

Congratulations! Glad you are doing so well. The mystery "machine" is a device for doing "hanging abs" while supporting your back. Good job!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you are doing good!! Glad to see you like the changes in your routine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

If you are doing 90 lbs assist at your weight, you are a beast! (and I mean that in a GOOD way...strong is what I mean!) That is awesome! Also, 75 lunges each leg would put me on the mat. Sounds like a great workout!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/261/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Congratulations! Glad you are doing so well. The mystery "machine" is a device for doing "hanging abs" while supporting your back. Good job!

Mel
Thanks for clearing that up...lol It's so much easier than the whole explanation! It's HARD though. But feels good to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Sounds like you are doing good!! Glad to see you like the changes in your routine.
Love them...can't wait to incorporate more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
If you are doing 90 lbs assist at your weight, you are a beast! (and I mean that in a GOOD way...strong is what I mean!) That is awesome! Also, 75 lunges each leg would put me on the mat. Sounds like a great workout!
Well, I don't know about that...I can only manage one or two at a time. I didn't even attempt tonight. There were way too many people there. That was the max weight for assistance. I think it's that much. That's what someone told me. It could be more though...lol I just wanted to start there and work my way down.
2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote