Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Default Are there any resources on how to train for functional fitness?

Hi all!
I have asked the question re:starting to incorporate weight training in my exercise routine and got some great responses. So I am now interested in finding a program.

I read Mel's excellent sticky about training for functional fitness, which explains pretty much everything you need to know about this form of training. EXCEPT there are no suggested programs or resources on HOW to do this.

In my small town, we have a DEARTH of trainers and all of them are affiliated with gyms. And, quite honestly, I can't afford a gym membership and a personal trainer.

Does ANYONE have any good training programs or resources that focus on functional fitness that I can do without a gym or a trainer? I can't seem to find anything online...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

There are tons of resources, but Stumptuous is a good one with lots of great ideas. She's got some basic workout ideas here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/t.../workout_ideas

I workout at home, which is not always ideal. I started with a woefully inadequate barbell / dumbbell set (75lbs max) thinking it would keep me going for a while. I now have a set of adjustable dumbbells (5 - 50lbs) and a barbell & plates that I have loaded up to 225 lbs on. I also bought a pull-up / chin-up bar, and am working on that as well (with a ways to go).

Last edited by RealCdn; 05-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

The New Rules of Lifting for Women is also a good reference. When you read it, the program seems really simple - and it is - it's just not easy! You get a good functional workout from doing a minimum number of exercises. The trick is that the are all compound exercises - they hit several parts of your body, and train you for movements that you use in everyday life. YOu can do most of it at home with a few pieces of equipment. Couple those with information from Krista's site (from the above post) and you can put together a really good program. Enjoy!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks SO much! I have no issue with purchasing a few pieces of equipment, and if I can save the $$$ I will join a gym. Just don't have the funds right now...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #5  
Anne

Duh, I should have mentioned it as well. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women, moved on to Power Training, and now starting into the original New Rules of Lifting (the one for guys I suppose).

Power Training is probably the one I could see doing again, as it builds from types of movements and you chose the specific exercise. However, I don't need to build strength yet, still need to strip fat while retaining muscle.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #6  
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
Thanks SO much! I have no issue with purchasing a few pieces of equipment, and if I can save the $$$ I will join a gym. Just don't have the funds right now...
That's why I workout at home (unemployed, back at college), and although the college has a fitness center I could laugh at the weights the guys are doing bicep curls with. And the gym needs a fair bit of updating, although it does have more free weights.

Oh, and as for functional training, I can lift and carry the full propane tank with ease, and those 50lb boxes of kitty litter don't seem heavy at all.

Last edited by RealCdn; 05-10-2009 at 08:13 PM.