Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #16  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Cheryl,
I am usually sore the day after but even more so the second day. Which reminds me, I asked you at the end of the April thread (but you weren't online and then you said you had to catch up so you could have missed it) how the heck you do your daily workouts, aren't you sore? I admire your perseverance and stamina.

Mel,
Thanks for the reminder of gel shorts. Seeing that I may be stuck in the spinning classes for a while I may invest into gel shorts or a gel seat. My butt doesn't have that much built-in padding. :-)

Lydia,
Where are you? Long time no see.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #17  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Just popping in.

I'm here Alena, just really busy this month. All good things, nothing to worry about. I had train the trainer day on Thursday. I didn't participate as the one being trained. Rather, I trained my trainer. I think I did a good job. A few times I asked him if he was okay and he muttered, "Yes, I love to workout.."

I am also preparing to give a four week workshop beginning Monday. Lots and lots of documentation to write, topics to cover, and nerves to quell. It's a group of ten people so it's a nice size for conversations as well. Looking forward to it and I'll let you know I do.

Oh, and stay out of that blasted Zumba class for now. Sheesh. I know how difficult that must be for you. Spinning was kind of boring for me too. Either the room was too small or the music not right or something. Fact is I hate classes. Anything in which someone else is calling the workout drives me I need to know what's next so I can pace myself or give it my all. I hate not knowing the "what's next." I usually give it too much in the beginning and feel like halfway through. Padded shorts are a good thing by the way.

Mel: Good luck with your Month!
Fran: I can't wait for the photos. The anticipation is mounting. You really have been inspiring all these weeks. Great job to you and your husband. Oh and happy milestone! I should really get rid of the the soda and coffee too. Especially after a day like today. Two cups and I'm physically tired by my mind won't shut off. Hate that feeling. I do know better.

to everyone else. Hope you are all enjoying a beautiful spring and staying healthy.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #18  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Alena, I am sore every day, but doing the morning warm-up and workout actually makes me feel better. In the past, I'd have taken a "rest day" if I woke up as sore as I do now. Doing the CF workouts six days a week taught me that being sore in the morning just meant I'd been still too long. Things get tight overnight, but after my workout, as long as I keep active, doing chores, getting outside, not sitting too long at the computer, then I feel good, maybe a little beat up from the workout, but nothing major. Last week's knotted up rhomboids/neck was the worst so far, but even that loosened up eventually, so there was no harm done.

Lydia, what's the workshop about? Sounds exciting, so good luck with it! I'd be nervous, too, but I'm sure you'll do fine once you meet your group!

Hey, guys, it's not a video, but there's a sweaty workout pic of me on my gym's website (from yesterday's workout). I don't know how to do the thing where you include the picture right in the post, but I can post a link to the site if you want to see a pic of me with legs and everything (lol):
http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/raini...amp-grads.html

Today is a rest day, so no workout today, but it's sunny out, so I'm hoping to make some major progress on the chicken coop construction, plus I borrowed my sister's battery charger/jumper thing, so I'm going to attempt to get the riding mower up and running today. My lawn is getting out of control!

I hope you all get some sunny weather and have a good day today!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 05-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Here's our movie star!!!!

Lookin' good, Cheryl!!

I'm globbing myself up with self-tanner today to get the best pictures possible tomorrow. I'm not doing dents in my abs tho, I stopped at that point. Was going to go get a mystic tan today (the spray on thing) but fearing my sensitive skin might react poorly, I googled it first and found tons of hits on breathing problems after a session. And one poor girl who complained of getting KIDNEY problems after getting mystified on a weekly basis for several years for her modeling career - yeah, you know me, one mention of kidney problems and I'm !! So instead, I used an otc airbrush tanner from Loreal. Gah! Can't breathe, choke choke! So glad I didn't do the booth, I would have been running screaming, and naked, out of the booth for air. What a sight that would have been!! ANYWAY, that Loreal stuff was so gross, that I went on drugstore.com to do some research on what the most popular brands are out there and then sent dh to walmart to pick up the 2 leading brands. I love that WM now will tell you what is in stock in their stores - you can see if it's in stock, limited quantity or unavailable. So, long story endless here...... I will take a few more cracks at making myself dark so that the flash of the camera doesn't turn me in to casper tomorrow. lol I stopped short of ordering the stripper shoes to pose in, but give me 12 more weeks and I just might. They would look pretty silly with my workout clothes anyway.

Last edited by sportmom; 05-03-2009 at 03:00 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #20  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: Awesome pic! How very cool! You are workin' so very hard. We had nice weather here too up till this hour. Still too wet to mow our yard though. The workshop I'm doing is about making exercise more of a lifestyle choice vs something that "has to be done." Or at least that's what I'm trying to do. Actually, it's a lot of fun to put these material together. It's exciting for me to realize just how much I have learned in the last few years.

Fran: Self tanners mystify me. I don't think I would ever get it right. Ruined towels, the icky smell, having to stand around naked for an extended period of time while it dries (not an option as the mother of two young children. I can almost be certain they would use it as an opportunity to set the house on fire...) At the very least, I would come out all streaked or orange or something. Good luck. Share with us which product you find the best and maybe I'll give it a try.
***I'm so excited to see your results, tan or no tan!!!***

Enjoy the afternoon
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #21  
Mel

Great picture, Cheryl, and I love their motto! You are working so hard Just think how far you've come.

Haha, Fran, go for the hooker shoes! I have a few friends that compete in figure, and they complain that the posing sessions and walking in those shoes were worse than the workouts and dieting! Don't forget the glitter make-up, either Really, I can't wait to see the changes

I'm incredibly sore from yesterday's full body workout and I couldn't figure out what had made every inch of my upper body sore until I remembered I found the AB WHEEL at my "Saturday" gym. I haven't used it in ages and oh, how I'd forgotten how many muscles that works! Traps, rhomboids, lats, rear delts, abs, rear delts and...did I mention rear delts? I'm going to switch tomorrow's workout to legs because I don't think doing back and chest so soon is a great idea.

Clean food week-end with only a minor PLANNED treat on Friday night

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #22  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Thanks, peeps...not the most flattering picture, since that must have been about round 4 or 5, but I figured you'd overlook the sweat and the look of pain on my face.

Lydia, that sounds like a cool idea for a seminar! The grass is wet here, too, but since it's often "too wet", I've learned to cut it without the bagger anyway. If we get a day or two of good dry weather, then the bagger will pick the clippings up on the next mow. Not perfect, but it looks better than knee-high grass, for sure.

Mel, congrats for keeping it OP over the weekend! I like their motto, too.

Fran, besides the glittery make-up, you need a seriously creative hairdo, as well...either short and spiked, or some sort of "fan" type creation that sticks out the sides of your head, defying gravity and giving a clear view of your back muscles.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #23  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I want May to be my month too!

Fran - Happy belated Birthday and Kidney-Stone-Free Anniversary. There's an occasion Hallmark doesn't make a card for! Stripper shoes and weird hair, can't wait for these pictures.

I was gone last week for a funeral. Sad situation, but I got some wonderful comments on my new figure. One aunt didn't recognize me. Finally a family occasion where I wasn't mistake for my mom!

Also, I ran off with my brother's free weights. I'll return them once I get a better set, but til then...they're mine mine mine! They were at mom's so it's not like he'll miss them.

Cheryl - I'm impressed with your tire jumps. I'd stall, then trip and break my leg.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #24  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I got to ride my bike one day this weekend which was good. Now we are just full of rain. I decided yesterday I need to formalize my workout plan a bit so that is what I'm trying to do. I keep eyeing crossfit gyms nearby but my bike took away that budget

Cheryl - You look awesome. I showed my husband and he was impressed.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #25  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Good morning/afternoon, LWL!

I'm posting from Stanford this week. Nice to be here in CA, even if the weather is warmer back home. Even better, though, I got to work out at Stanford's gym this morning. In many ways, my home gym is better equipped -- e.g., we have lifting platforms and bumper plates, whereas Stanford doesn't -- but nevertheless it was nice to be in a large gym with air conditioning and virtually unlimited hours. (My gym has crazy limited hours between terms, and it doesn't open until noon on the weekends. Boo, hiss.)

Did shoulders/abs today. It was kind of fun to freak out a new bunch of college kids by cranking out a few sets of wide grip, full ROM pullups. No one expects that from an old lady. (Not that *I* see myself as old, but to college students I sure do.) I know I should be focused on my own workout and not what other people think ... but I have to admit I get a little charge out of the double-takes.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #26  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Anybody out there?

Back day today at the gym. The experience made me appreciate my home gym, which for all its quirks not only allows but provides chalk. No chalk = worse grip = torn up hands. C'est la vie.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Hey all. I changed my avatar last nite because I saw a show last nite that showed their women staffers on a "getting fit" program, and they were working out using the vinyl coated dumbbells. which is fine......... but I just realized that i've progressed from that and felt pretty good about it.

Lost 25+ lbs of fat on BFL challenge 1 and gained 1.3 lbs of muscle (at least - feels like alot more!) Progress photo is on my profile.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Fran, your changes are fantastic!!!

I was laying in bed this morning, sore as could be and struggling to get out of bed. I slept in

Tonight is another weight workout. woo hoo!!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #29  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone!

I annoyed, to put it mildly. So at Mel's advice I hit the bike shops today at lunch and got myself two nice gel seats (to see which one will be better). Then I had to vanish from work a few minutes earlier to get home, feed the canines and run to the gym for the spinning class. And what do you think I find - ALL THE BIKES WERE TAKEN!!! Just my luck, eh??

Darn. Ok, I did a 45 min core class this morning so the day is not lost. I actually left the gym because I have million of things to do but I did look forward to the spinning class. Oh well. (Mel, I wasn't ready to invest into the shorts - they start at $60 and I thought I would test the seat first).

Cheryl, thanks for the explanation. I was quite sore this morning too but I felt better after the class. You look like a serious lifter BTW.

Fran, huge progress! Thumbs up! So which tanner did you finally settle on? I will have to get something as well because I look like I have been freshly exhumed. LOL

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #30  
Mel

Fran Fantastic!

Alena- How annoying! I didn't realize that the shorts were that expensive! I bought mine at either Marshalls or TJ Maxx and paid less than $20 for a Nike pair and a Pearl Izumi pair- both good ones. They rarely have then, but every once in a while I find something great there in the workout clothes area. Do you have them or their equivalent in Ontario-ho-ho?

Kim- Good for you! I can't crank very many out unassisted anymore, but even 2 gets a double take at my gym. Enjoy. It's quite an accomplishment! How is sunny CA? It's rainy and miserable here, but the flora is loving it

Dixie- I'm sorry about the situation that brought your family together, but it must have felt great to get so many compliments I had to laugh at "not being mistaken for my mom". That would have thrilled me (except for the age)! My mom has never weighed more than a bird size 2's are baggy on her. I think I must have been adopted

Good day today- cardio before work then back and chest at lunch. My abs are STILL sore from Saturday's workout!!!!! I sneezed and thought I was going to cramp up at one point today.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote