Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Cheryl -

Interesting observation on separating the carbs from the fat/protein. I wonder why that works? Right now, with 20 grams of carbs per day, I'm only eating some low GI veggies -- no fruit or sugars at all. It feels good.

I'm eating way more calories than I did calorie counting (I'm actually still counting both calories and carbs, but not paying too much attention to calories, which is weird), but the weight is coming off much faster. My official weight-in day is Wednesday, and I'm quite sure I've lost several more pounds this week. After 2 months of very slow weight loss, this feels great to me.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #17  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Good for you; I'm glad it's working for you!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

CJZee - When you are doing low carb, the first week or 2 will have very fast loss. The reason is your body has stored glycogen which is quick energy ready for you to use. When you do low carb, your glycogen stores are depleted and your body can't fill them up because of the lack of carbs. Depending on weight, its not unusual that you could lose 10 lbs, none of it fat. It is one reason though that people like low carb diets because they see the scale move very quickly in the first few weeks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #19  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, interesting about the glycogen. I didn't know that. Since the glycogen binds water (right?), is that mainly water weight? Seems like everybody loses big the first 2 weeks, even calorie counting, as long as the diet is significantly "better" than what the person was doing before. I lost 14 lbs just switching from eating truckdriver-like portions of junk food to eating "normal" portions of junk food, when I started last year, just as one example, so is that the same thing going on there? Of course, at that point, I didn't care what kind of weight it was, I was just happy to be 14 lbs lighter! Now, of course, I'm much more protective of my muscle weight and glycogen stores, so I hope to keep those in good supply, and am aiming for mostly fat loss if I can help it.

CJ, I'm not the greatest with the science part of dieting, but my understanding is that you need carbs to burn fat and also to store fat, since they stimulate the insulin, which is what can access the fat cells (I might be butchering this utterly, I warn you!). So, my feeble mind figured that if I was gonna have an insulin spike, like with sugary fruit, or the sugar in my tea, it would be best if I wasn't having it at the exact same time I'm loading up on my proteins and good fats, cuz if I get the spike, and there's not a lot of fat or "excess" calories to store, what can it do? Anyway, it's just an experiment on my part, because I like to have a yogurt for breakfast, I like to have some sugar and a little milk in my tea, and it seems like if I'm going to have those, it certainly can't hurt to keep them separate from the fats/proteins which are the bulk of my calories, even if it's not really helping (like if I'm totally wrong about the science of it, which is entirely possible...worst case, it doesn't help at all, but so far, it at least doesn't seem to be packing the pounds on, so something somewhere is working).

Last edited by jamsk8r; 05-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #20  
Just Me

Cheryl,

It is a similar process when you start any diet really but I don't think it is exactly the same. Low carb diets really hit the glycogen stores and don't allow them to be replenished. It is also why low carbers can see a huge jump in weight from eating a high carb meal.

I did some research a while back when I was following a fairly low carb diet and I too saw the huge drop in weight loss which was pretty amazing. It is motivating and can help people but also gives a slightly false impression that you lose more weight with low carb vs other restrictive plans.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #21  

Cheryl and Neli -- Thanks for the interesting posts. I know I've just started Atkins, it will be 2 weeks on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how my body reacts in the long term. I hope to have healthy, on-going weight loss. And I am so happy with my weight training, I can tell I am getting stronger. CJ
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #22  
Just Me

Good Job CJ
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #23  

Two recent studies suggest you might lose more with an Atkins-type diet. The following two studies reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Both studies showed Atkins type dieters lost more weight in the first 6 months and improved their blood chemistry more than low-fat dieters.

Neither group stuck to it, though ... so as we all know keeping going is key and maintenance is a hard.

http://www.annecollins.com/atkins-diet.htm
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Good Job CJ
LOL Nelie -- that is what my trainer says to me when I've about killed myself. It's his highest form of praise!