freemotion machines & free weights a good idea?

• Hi y'all....

I told my trainer when I joined the gym a couple weeks ago, I'd like to look ripped like Jillian someday (or at least good muscle tone, but not as BIG as a bodybuilder).

So she's developed several weight programs for me to do until I see her again in a couple of months (we've spent the last several weeks getting me familiar with the cardio/resistance machines/free weights/stability ball, etc.

She's got me on freemotion machines & free weights. I've noticed some people here say in the STICKYS that free weights are a better idea than machines.

You guys think the freemotion machines & free weights will help me get to my goal someday?

thanks!

~ tea
  • Which free motion machines? They make a full gym line, including functional trainers.

The short answer is ...yes. A combination of free weights and machines will get you to your goal, depending on what you are doing with each.

Have fun! If you are fairly new to the gym, this is a great start.

Mel
  • I the FreeMotion equipment. Mel's correct, there is a whole line of different machines. Here's what I like about FreeMotion, it is a good hybrid between weight machines and freeweights. FreeMotion equipment encourages the user to stablize their core while executing the movement and encourages a natural range of motion. It is also one size fits all. Generally, you don't have to make a lot of adjustments before you use the equipment and find that it's still just not quite right.

Many of the FreeMotion machines also encourage the user to use a standing position which is much better than "sitting" on or in a machine. This is beneficial because generally we get plenty of practice sitting through the majority of our day. It's important to stand to stretch out those hip flexors.

FreeMotion was what I used to begin my strength training five years ago. I found that when I was ready to beginning lifting free weights I had a good foundation in core strength and neuromuscular "rehearsal" for knowing how to execute the movement well.

Good luck and enjoy your upcoming workouts!
  • We have regular machines in one area and the Freemotion machines in another area. I've used a few of them. They are much more comfortable to use!