Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #1  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Default The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Is anyone else doing the workout program in The New Rules of Lifting for Women? I ran across it at Books-a-Million earlier this week, read it cover-to-cover, and did the first workout tonight.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!! I am HURTING!!!!!!!!!!!!! My butt is killing me!!! I know I am going to be super sore tomorrow...and I can't wait to do it again on Sunday!

Anyone else? Is it as good as it claims?
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/169/135

Height: 5' 2"

Yes!! I have a week left to go in stage one, and I love it!

My legs were killing me so much after the first workout that I had to postpone the second one for a day, because it hurt too much just to walk. But since then my muscles have been much less sore, although I can definitely feel them after each workout - usually my legs and butt, sometimes my shoulders as well. And I've been increasing the weights pretty steadily, which is a wonderful feeling. I think I'm going to feel lost without these workouts when I take the week off between stage one and two.
lovelosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Right after I finished the second set of swiss ball jackknifes, I could feel the burn immediately in my waist, abs, butt and thighs. It was the hardest exercise I've ever successfully completed because I have NO sense of balance. It was so hard just to get on the ball and walk out on my hands. I ended up doing like 15-16 each set just to get 8 decent ones.

My legs/shoulders don't really hurt today. My neck is a little sore but my butt still hurts like a mad dog. I am still looking forward to tomorrow though! What kind of cardio are you doing on off-days (if any)? I am going to go do intervals on the elliptical later today.

I wasn't sure someone my size and relative un-fitness level could do this, but I think I can! It's challenging but not impossible.

Last edited by DCHound; 04-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I bought resistance band to start doing this program at home, but never got an exercise ball yet! Gotta do that this weekend. I'd really like to start this finally
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

You really need a swiss ball to do the exercises in the first two rotations (and probably later on as well, I'm just not there yet). All the exercises were challenging but, for me, the ones on the ball are the most challenging and probably also will do me the most good. E.g., they HURT but boy are they WORTH IT!

I guess actually what I'm the worst at is lunges. I just cannot do them. My knees are very inflexible. I can't even do them holding onto something, with no weights. I know you aren't supposed to change Alwyn's workout but I'm going to have to substitute something else for those lunges because I simply cannot do them.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/146.4/120

Height: 5'5

I am just about done with Stage 1 (A and B) and I have to tell you, I love it. I am seeing results alot faster than when I did aerobics for a year. My abs are tighter/ tush a little higher/ and good shoulder definition.There is some really good logic in the book and I recommend it for some reading.

After you read this book, you will never look at cardio and/or machines the same way again. Remember one thing, it takes a bodybuilder hours at a time in the gym to get 1 lb of bulking up. You will not bulk up on this plan and you will feel strong, the way a woman should feel.

Just my opinion of course
DanielleVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I did this for awhile, and life got in the way, and I'm about ready to start again. I totally agree about the ball jackknife exercise - talk about feeling uncoordinated. I do think you get good results and without spending hours in the gym.

Quote:
I guess actually what I'm the worst at is lunges. I just cannot do them. My knees are very inflexible. I can't even do them holding onto something, with no weights. I know you aren't supposed to change Alwyn's workout but I'm going to have to substitute something else for those lunges because I simply cannot do them.
I have problems with both knees and I have to make adjustments for squats, lunges and step-ups. I do squats using a ball against a wall between the wall and my back (my physical therapist showed me this) and roll it down as I go. It's really easier on the knees. My biggest problem is getting in position, holding the ball against the wall while picking up the dumbells.

As for lunges, I just go down as far as my knees will let me. I think you could certainly start with holding onto something and going down just a bit. And who says you can't change the exercises, there's no Alwyn's police gonna come after you.

I'm still working on substitutes for the step-ups since I can do them some days, and others the pain is not worth it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Wow that is a great tip on the squats, thanks. I am fairly OK with them. I have to do them with dumbbells since my little gym doesn't have a barbell. I just hoisted 2 25 lbs ones up to my shoulders and did it that way. I was a little scared about falling so I did it standing over the weight bench. Tomorrow when I do it again I will straddle the weight bench first.

I was worried about the step-ups but I did OK with them too. Only thing is, my other foot totally comes down instead of just touching. I am going to have to work my way up to just touching instead of stepping up fully with the second foot.

LOL @ the Alwyn police image!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

DCHound,
I have a problem with lounges, too. I lose balance so easily. I got irritated at one class recently where they wanted us to do quick lunges across the studio without paying attention to the form. I prefer to do it slowly but properly.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that it does get easier with time. I am really following the NRLW workouts (I do a combo of my own, Body For Life, NRLW - whatever) but I modify as I see fit.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/239/140

Height: 5'4"

Is this program something you can do if you're just starting out with regular exercise, or something you have to have some level of fitness for to begin it? I just requested the book through my local library, and am curious.

Thanks!
~Betony~
Betony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is great for anyone, beginner or advanced.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote