BFL - Week 6, heading to halfway!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hi girlies - it's week 6 ALREADY!! Can you stand it? For me, the first 3 weeks were the slowest. Now things are flying. The food isn't so much of a challenge, I look forward to weigh-ins and clothes try-on's.

Who plans to take end of 6 week photos? I do. Definitely enough motivation to keep me C-L-E-A-N all....week....long. I'm re-flipping thru Tosca Reno's book also to get more ideas for clean eating. I bought it before I learned - maybe here? - that she is married to Robert Kennedy, publisher of the book and Oxygen. Not that it discounts her work, but, you know.

Have a great week everyone!
  • Fran, how was it getting off the caffeine? Did you sub some caffeine free stuff, or just ditch those types of drinks altogether? I'm thinking about it, and would like to know what to expect, like a few days of headaches or ??? I'm also thinking of getting off the sugar at the same time, just get the uglies over with all at once, KWIM? Anyway, if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it!
  • I dropped the caffeine and junk/sugar at the same time. I did not go with any caffeine free stuff, bc to me, it lacked the flavor that I was consuming the original product for, so it was not a good substitute. I was never a coffee drinker though, I got all mine from soda and iced tea. It was bad for the first week with headache and sluggishness, the kind of numbing headache even advil can't touch, but it does go away. I cut the sugar/junk out too. I was going thru a kidney stone attack at the time, so had had my "come to Jesus" meeting, so to speak, with a surgery as the outcome. I had quit caffeine before, probably 5 times, only to allow myself to relapse. This time worked bc I had to have some motivation (perceived possible kidney failure in the future) to get it scared into me.

As with any habit, I found the behavioral aspect the worst. I had become addicted to the point of whenever I passed a McDonald's, I had to drive thru and get a sweet tea. Good stuff. I remember it down to the styrofoam container that it came in that felt so cool in my hand and the size of the straw (McD's has overly large drink straws if you've never noticed it). So that was the hardest part to overcome. I can still taste it if I think hard enough about it (like now). Sugar is a HUGELY strong addiction. I got thru my kid's newborn years (not sleeping at nite and working FT in stressful job) by popping m&m's and drinking full strength coke. It had really become a lifestyle for me; surprising that I had not become diabetic.
  • Blugh! I just attempted to mix my protein powder with hot cocoa...

I think that just cured any desire for chocolate, at least for the next hour.
    I'll plan on taking photos next weekend, if the weather does what it's supposed to I want to go to the beach anyway, so if I'm already in a swimsuit, I might as well get a progress picture.
  • When I was working nights as an RN, I was addicted to Pepsi. Like you, Fran, I can remember the rush of the cold and the bubbles and the sweetness. Then I went cold turkey. And now I just don't drink soda. Maybe once every 2 months. I remember having some headaches and general *****iness, but I have those on occasion anyway.

Dixie, thanks for the heads up about the protein powder and hot chocolate. I've considered trying the same thing.....maybe I won't now!

My goal this week is to get a grip on my food. I'm not gaining, not losing, just irritated with multiple slips. Clean eating is what I need, baby!

So I'll go start the food thread!
  • Hey guys! I'm interested in starting Body for Life. I don't weight much but what weight I do have is largely fat. Do you like BFL? Are you working the BFL plan or the BFL for Women plan? I'd love to hear some feedback. What does the average day consist of? Thanks guys. Good luck, you're doing great!!!
  • Ohman, I would suggest you look thru the book, it's a quick read. You can also visit the website bodyforlife.com. It will tell you more there about the structure of the day.

Well, dh finished up his first month today and logged an impressive 19.2 lbs off in his 4 weeks. He knows it's impractical to think he can keep up the pace this long but still the potential exists for him to drop 50-60 lbs. How exciting is that for him?! He was a bit disappointed in his before/current photos when compared to mine. But I definitely had a lot more improvement possible that was affecting how things like my legs and arms look.
  • Hi BFLL,

Halfway! I have not lost weight, but I have become more conscious of my food AND I'm back into exercise. keep up the good work everyone,

Rabbit
  • Fran and Midwife, thanks for the feedback on the caffeine/sugar thing. I'm just about ready to do it. I'm getting pissed enough at the plateau from heck, and want to be lean!
  • Cheryl - I still drink coffee and tea, but I definitely don't drink soda. I could drop coffee back to decaf if I could find one with good flavor. Decaf tea tastes the same to me..... Basically I drink only water, sometimes club soda, coffee, tea and an occasional V8 juice. While I don't get a "jolt" from caffeine, I do get a headache if I don't have any say on a Sat morning when I get up late or am puttering around and there's no coffee. Sugar I'm working on quitting, though compared to most of the world, I never did eat much. It's definitely a thing where if I don't have the first piece/bite, I don't crave it. But if I start.....
  • Quote: Fran and Midwife, thanks for the feedback on the caffeine/sugar thing. I'm just about ready to do it. I'm getting pissed enough at the plateau from heck, and want to be lean!
    I have a confession....I hardly ever drink my water. I'd completely addicted to Diet Code Red Mt. Dew. If you want to go sugar free/caffeine free, I'll go too. I've gone C-free many times before, but it's never lasted more than a month. I think if I could go til the end of the BFL challenge, I might be able to stay away from the stuff. It took me several attempts to go coca cola free, 8 years ago. I think I'm ready to drop the sodas altogether. And its motivation that the cost of a 12 pack is ridiculous these days.
  • I love my caffeine and I'm not going to quit it... I only have 2 cups / day in the morning and I usually don't finish the second cup. But I am still addicted because when I go to a Yoga retreat they have no coffee, nothing to stimulate your senses, they don't even serve garlic or onions, did you know that they stimulate your senses? I certainly didn't .... Well by 11am I have this pounding headache... so a bunch of us go to the village nearby and have a cup of java... Once I tried to bring some chocolate covered coffee beans, but that was just too gross ...

I haven't had a soda in years, I can't even remember the last time, diet or regular... I was never a sugary drink lover anyways, because my mom never gave it to us as kids, I did drink diet at one time....My favorite drinks are water, wine and coffee.

I like to mix my vanilla protein powder in cold coffee, I tried in hot coffee once too that was nasty looking ....

I'm not dropping weight as much as I'd like unfortunately... I have to refocus more... I'm not bad with food but just not as good as the first 4 weeks.....

I should also take pics this weekend
  • Quote:
    was never a sugary drink lover anyways, because my mom never gave it to us as kids, I did drink diet at one time....My favorite drinks are water, wine and coffee.
    Ah, Ilene, my favorites too. I knew we were sisters....
  • Quote: Ah, Ilene, my favorites too. I knew we were sisters....
  • I do drink soda, but I third the wine

Rabbit