Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #31  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, I was all set to try the one foot thing, lol. Sorry you're having a bad day. Are you still at the conference?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #32  

hi Cheryl,

Thanks a lot for the novel on day 2 of crossfit. I really appreciate your detailed info.

Also thnx a lot for finding me the video. I could totally arrange something like that on my open staircase, I'll just have to hunt out the rings from my kids swing set.. (but not immediately... I am currently preparing my paper for a conference in san jose in 2 weeks, and I'll not have time before I'm back again. OTOH I'm looking forward to a trip to a place with sun immensely!)

Me ..how are the bankers going? Did you find a gym and some decent food yet?

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #33  
Mel

Cheryl- the one foot thing is real. It's lifting two feet off the ground that was a joke!

OK, I am back on track. Did a 3 mile run this morning and asked for hardboiled eggs and fruit instead of the hotel breakfast buffet I take a one hour test in a few minutes, then pack up and head to the airport.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #34  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Good luck with your test Mel! (your probably already there.)

Hour and half till mine. I think I'm ready but you just never know...yesterday was a total wash for preparation. I woke up at 3:30 am with a UTI. I knew it would be almost impossible to see my general prac on such short notice, went to urgent care for antibiotics and spent the rest of the day fighting off a fever. Thankfully I had a good night sleep and I think I'm ready to go.

Cheryl, I'll come back to read your post in the afternoon. Right now my head is so full of numbers I'm afraid some of them will leak out if I read anything else.

Have a great morning everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #35  
No description available.

Good luck with all the tests, guys!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #36  
Changing behaviours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
OK, I check out the hotel fitness room 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 1 elliptical and dumbbells up to 20 pounds and one set of 50 pounders. This is going to be a challenging week.
Hey Mel My curiousity is killing me! As a shameless Weight and Resistance Training forum lurker, I just have to know... what would you have liked to see in the hotel gym? And if it's not too much trouble, what's your workout look like? I have to get going with some lifting, I'm thinking of starting Body for Life.

P.S. Good luck with the test!

Last edited by Fressca; 03-06-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #37  
Kallos Sthenos

I passed! I passed!

Passing score is a 550 I scored a 681. I think I did okay.

What was the first thing I did? called DH on the cell. Second thing, bought flowers for one of my GF who has been watching DS2 for the last week without my asking and DogFish 90 minute Ale for DH, chocolate for the boys. For myself, I'm going out with my girlfriends to celebrate. Hope not too late. I've got a yoga session I want to catch in the morning.

Cheryl: Thanks so much for posting your report. It's a lot of work to type all that out but I really enjoyed reading it. It seems that we are both having a similar experience this month.

I am also find form difficult. There is so much to keep in your head and neurological connections that have to be made before it can be executed with more attention focused upon the strength involved in the exercises. That's why they always try to teach it with a very modest weight load right. I totally get that now.

I am also finding it very humbling that many of the things I thought I was doing correctly is also in need of improvement. So, yes, I have a little bit of the intimidation factor going too. It is not uncommon for my trainer to casually walk by me during the middle of one of his client sessions and mutter something like, "chest out and square it," or that's should be a knee flexion and not a hip extension. (don't ask, it's cable equipment could have been done both ways, )

Really, I'm grateful for the advice. Just like you it has helped me more than I ever imagined to be in a place where people know what they are doing and are committed to passing it on. And yes, it is incredibly expensive. In my case I see it more as a cost of educating myself. Much less than the tuition I paid for my psych degree.

I would arrive to warm up a little longer too. It would really frustrate me if I knew my range of motion, ROM, was better but couldn't get into it because of an inadequate warm up. I find that the sun salutations in yoga really help me before and after my lifting. Just look for the downward dog and upward dog positions from Yoga Journal to get you started as well as a sun salutation series if you get the chance. Oh and squat before they make you squat. The bodyweight squat is great for warming up.

While reading your post about the pvc pipe and rotating forward and behing you I knew exactly which video you would refer to. Great video. I used it to find my grip for the overhead squat. Kind of fun.

All your lifting speak is making me consider the CrossFit affiliate here again. Even if it is 45 minutes away. Not now. Too much going on, but maybe next year. Geez, a whole year. But I'm coming up to spring (biking) and I just got an email from my biking buddy from last year. She's going to keep me busy too. All good though right.

Thanks for sharing your workout again!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Congratulations Lydia!

I knew you'd do great and willl be a great trainer who never stops learning.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #39  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia! How long a commute would it be for to have you for a trainer? Finding a decent trainer is impossible in my little town - it's one of the short list of downside of living here. And I doubt there is a Crossfit location in the state!

We had another foot of snow yesterday/overnight! And DH has tendonitis in his elbow so guess who did shoveling for cardio yesterday? And a small amount again this morning, but most of it was light enough to use a broom. Only had to shovel the small berm left by our snowplower where the driveway meets the front walk. I am soooo ready for spring!

BUsy weekend of chores coming up, though I plan on hitting the gym on Sat. I'm leaving for a conference next Wed night, and won't be back til the following Mon night. Then DH leaves for New England two days later..... Our busy season is not over year.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #40  
Workin' It

Lydia - woo hoo! Congrats! Thanks for those warm up ideas suggestions - it wasn't me who mentioned it, but I will definitely use them!

Mel - hope your test went well!

Cheryl - I have to figure out a way to do those ring rows once I get back up to speed... And, I'm enjoying reading your crossfit details!

I did some cardio yoga yesterday for the first time since surgery and am feeling it in my arms today, so didn't do my scheduled weider workout this AM. Going to run today instead of tomorrow, Weider tomorrow instead of today, probably take Sunday off. Wow - I need a separate calendar to keep track of my exercise plans!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Lydia!!! Now what? Do you start applying for positions???

Last edited by sportmom; 03-06-2009 at 04:09 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #42  
Mel

:balloo ns:
CONGRATULATIONS, LYDIA!!!!!

There was never any doubt in my mind. You will be fantastic
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #43  

Congratulations Lydia!
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #44  
No description available.

Congrats Lydia!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #45  
Kallos Sthenos

Hey thanks for all of the good wishes everyone. : Had a great time with my girlfriends last night and was in bed by 11:00 which is early for us. Plenty of time to rest for the yoga class. This particular class was a treat for me. Our regular yoga instructor, who is also very good, is at a conference for the next two weeks. Her replacement is my instructor from last June who taught the Ashtanga series. Great great class.

Fran: The what's next is two fold. The first I'm already doing, I'm working with the head trainer at my gym for an hour each week. The next step will be to submit the cover letter and resume. I know where I want to work its just getting the details of child care arrangements in order. I'm just really excited to begin this new chapter. Oh, and I'm sure there will be another certification involved this year too.