Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #31  
Master of disaster

S/C/G: 269/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Cottage cheese problems? Mix it with yogurt - OMG yum!!

I also used to blend my cottage cheese and add a half a cup of apple sauce. Then I'd throw in a bit (a TBS or so) or raw oatmeal or grapenuts to add a bit of crunch. Add a bit of cinnamon - honestly it tastes just like apple pie....so good! (this may or may not be BFL friendly - I've been on a LOT of diets and I don't remember where I got this recipe).

Blend the cottage cheese, throw on frozen spinach, add some precooked chicken and nuke for 2 minutes....yummy! The CC melts like "real" cheese.

Hmmm....that's all I know.

Breakfast - the choco/peanut butter oatmeal (EFL) - I LOVE THIS!!!!
Lunch - salad and whole wheat wrap with roast beef, lettuce, and a dab of raspberry walnut vinagrette (sp?) dressing.
Snack - yogurt and cottage cheese
Dinner - today I had meatloaf (EFL), spinach, and vegetable medley
Another snack - Zone Bar (I know, I know...)
And yet another snack - cheese cake (EFL)

Please let me know if I should change some of this up.

Last edited by michelle127; 01-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.
michelle127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

What is EFL? I'm sure I should know this, but I don't ....

My M6 was a tablespoon of peanut butter ... not the best choice

But it's been a good day all around...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #33  

Hi,

yesterday:
M1: yoghurt, OJ, brewers yeast, bran & soy protein powder. Same weekday breaksfast meal for years, but now ith 2 tbs of protein powder. I notice it keeps me full for a longer time.
M2: - did not happen
M3: 1 cup soup, 2 ww+ 1 slice cheese
M4: 2 ww crackers , ham, gherkin
M5: steak, rice, string beans sauteed with garlic & onions & mushrooms. I measured out the rice in a 1/2 cup measure.Ewww... that is much less rice than I usually eat.
M6: 100 ml cc with cherry's in water
M7 ??? 1/4 cup dried cranberries & 1/4 cup driep apple chunks
m8 ??? 2 sliced delimeat, piece of cheese & a gherkin.

M7 and M8 are not as planned, but I was totally starving in the evening because I missed out on M2 and M4 for work reasons. Do better today.

Also I notice 2 things food and eating wise:
1) the protein powder in my breakfast make me full for longer
2) I wake up hungry in the morning
3) I get sugar cravings in the afternoon and in the evening.

meal plan for today:
M1: breakfast drink with protein powder
M2: yoghurt, fruit, protein powder
M3: cup of soup, melted cheese pita with tomato
M4: soup with hard boiled egg
M5: left over beef, steak & string beans + salad with boiled egg
M6 : ??? no idea yet.

Thaks everyone for posting the food lists. It is really helpfull to see how to work out these BFL food menus.

Have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

So I've beat the cottage cheese blues! YEA! The trick (for me) is one container of Yoplait Light very vanilla flavor and mix with the cottage cheese. The yogurt is so sweet that it wipes out the nasty!! Yea! Hunger abated for 3 more hours!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #35  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ilene: I think Michelle may be referring to the Eating for Life cookbook by Bill Phillips. It's where I pull out a lot of my food options too.

Fran: I'm so glad you found something. If you want to add another yummy to it try some almond slices that you can find in the baking section of the store. I like to toast a whole bag of them in the oven and then just sprinkle a few of them on my cc/yogurt snack every day. It's a healthy fat... also, think about adding a few berries or maybe pineapple. Just about a 1/4 cup. It adds a little fiber, antioxidants, and all kinds of good stuff.

Food:

M1 Protein Pancakes (also mixed sf syrup with Smuckers sugar free blueberry jam, and 1/4 fresh blueberries in a small dish and warmed in the microwave to top the pancakes.) Mmmm. Best part, it makes two servings, I get to have this again soon.

M2 Not hungry. Still full from pancakes...(I know I know probably had something to do with the two cups of coffee I had around that time)

M3 4 eggwhites, FFcheese slice, red pepper flakes, spinach, 1 slice ww bread, strawberries.

M4 Probably my old stand by, yogurt/cottage cheese/berrries. It makes me happy.

M5 Indian Chicken, with Tabbouleh stuffed Tomato (Eating for Life cookbook..EFL) First time I ever made this dish, wish me luck.

M6 1/2 c cottage cheese covered with cinnamon, splenda, and vanilla extract and 1/2 chopped apple and sprinked with toasted almond slices.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #36  
Kallos Sthenos

I thought this was a timely...check the labels on those bars.

http://ericcressey.com/

Now, does anyone know how to make their own protein bars?

The video below it is entertaining too.

Wait. Wait. I found a link to some recipes. Okay. These may actually have me experimenting in the kitchen. I'm really looking for something that is below 200 cals and is more protein than carb though. I'll see what I can come up with.

http://www.liftforlife.com/proteinba...acement_Bars:1

Last edited by Lydia227; 01-28-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #37  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Does BFL/EFL use artificial sweeteners?
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia - if you do a search in the recipe section either here or in maintainers there's one by meg/mel (one of them ) for homemade protein bars and muffins.

Ennay - don't know, but I don't since I've not find one I can tolerate the taste of.

Yay, Fran, for finding a cc combo you can eat. I often stir a spoonful of DH's full fat vanilla yogurt.

Rabbit - more protein helps me keep fuller too. ANd if you stay away from sugar, the cravings will susbide. When I was in graduate school I noticed my blood sugar would plummet each afternoon. I found that eating a piece of fruit worked much better than candy.

Here's today's meals:

B - protein pancakes, topped with unsweetened applesauce and a spoonful of yogurt (in actuality I forgot the yogurt)
S - ff latte
L - stir-fried veggies with curry sauce, shrimp on the side
S - cottage cheese - added my b'fast yogurt - and strawberries
D - eating out with 2 friends - we'll see what this place has for food - it's a newish Greek cafe (actually called Neo Kafe)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

1. whey protein and oatmeal
2. cottage cheese, vanilla pudding and pumpkin puree, tastes just like pumpkin pie
3. egg white omelet beans
4. (an hour later) protein powder and oatmeal
5. veggie chicken nuggets, rice, cabbage,
6. 2 small bananas, 2 granola bars

I'm starving today... must be because of that great workout last night...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #40  

Forgot to post my meals today!

1: 2 scrambled real eggs with 1 slice lf cheese
2: yogurt w/cc
3: big salad with turkey meat and olive oil based dressing (did you know the BFL guys say that we should all eat more dressing?! The dressings tend to be good-oil based and the fat we dont' get enough of anyway. So if your dressing is a clear type and based on olive oil, canola oil, don't feel the need to dip your salad in the dressing on each bite, pour it on! Disclaimer: I don't think this applies to creamy ranches, thousand island, french, etc.
4: Oatmeals and egg whites (solid) - can I say how much I loved this great combo after a somewhat low density salad for lunch? Plus after getting the kids in and out multiple times today, it was a great mental soother while they enjoyed hot chocolate.
5: A new experiment in dinner, ham & cheese quesadilla on ww tortilla. Didn't mind the ww tortilla bit, not sure the cheese was lowfat, it's hard to find shredded lf cheese except in motzarella. Don't like quesas that taste like pizzas!

Not hungry and going to bed. Hoping I don't need my 2 am feeding. Waaah!

Last edited by sportmom; 01-28-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #41  
No description available.

My meal plan reminds me of feeding a baby every 3 hrs or so, too Fran!

Today was much much much better.

2 eggs, english muffin, cheese
pbj sandwich, greek yogurt, blueberries
turkey slices, sliced veggies, laughing cow
greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese, blueberries, apricot, peanut butter
protein shake after lifting weights
turkey chili, small potatoes, okra

I did a power class at the gym. So fun! I partnered with DD and she kept going heavier with the bench presses (making me go heavier) and I kept going heavier on the deadlifts (making her go heavier!) Strong women rock!!

We did dumbbell snatches, deadlifts, power cleans, chest presses, and squat jumps with a weight vest. With each set we went heavier with fewer reps than the set before. Woohoo!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #42  

Yes! Instead of keeping a nursing log I'm keeping a food log. gah!

So, had the BEST breakfast this morning!! 1 egg beater serving on a w/w tortilla. I don't know why this was so exciting but it was delish! I'm thinking I really need a 2 egg serving next time, it was more tortilla than egg. I think BFL calls for one egg per meal, but what the heck, a little more protein can't hurt. I want to try experimenting with some onions and maybe my friend the lf cheese too. I know EB makes a variety with green and red peppers and while I don't like peppers, they might taste pretty good to me after this week, who knows?

Rest of the day will call for

2: lean turkey and yogurt
3: ham/pita melt lunch w/carrots
4: Cottage cheese and cheerios
5: Chicken breasts breaded and stuffed with broccoli with brown rice for dinner. I'll admit the chicken breasts are processed food with a high fat count, but that will be my fat for the day.
6: if needed, probably not looking at the fat in dinner, i will have egg whites and red grapes before bed

2 more days away from Sunday guys - we can make it! Actually it seems really easy now, does it for you guys too? I actually had a sense of panic yesterday when I realized I had only planned thru Weds and now needed to do the rest of the week. Once my food was written out thru Saturday, I felt an amazing sense of calm. Life changing, for sure.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #43  
Kallos Sthenos

Fran: Preplanning my meals for the whole week really has been calming for me too. It's so nice not to feel stressed at 5:00pm about preparing dinner. I used to plan out a weeks menu for dinner but had gotten out of the habit.

Sometimes it feels easier as the week goes on, sometimes not. This morning as I was getting ready for the gym I had this sinking feeling of "Oh, another day of trying to avoid the kiddie carbs in the pantry." But then I just quickly dismissed it went to the gym and decided to take this hour by hour if need be.

Yesterday was great. I didn't feel hungry. Today, I was a little hungrier after breakfast and lunch wasn't feeling very satisfying either.

I also noticed that I really didn't have much zip in my workout this morning either. It was my intention to do heavy legs today. One set of all of my exercises and I was done. If this continues I may need to boost my carb intake just a little more. It really was pretty low this week.

On a side note, I've gone down two and half pounds this week so there is a lot going on inside.

Food:

M1: ww toast (preworkout) I think we are supposed to fast before that workout but I really needed something.
M2 Protein oatmeal
M3 2 ww toast, 3 oz deli ham, ff cheese slice, 1 tbs hummus, veggies, 1 tbs pbutter
M4 cottage cheese with Fage and berries
M5 Turkey taco salad
M6 2 lf cheese sticks, small apple (if needed)

Fran: How do you make the oatmeal with the egg whites. I might try that for my afternoon snack with the boys today too.

Isn't it interesting how our eating pattern reflects something that babies intuitively know to do. It is one of the reasons I know that this is the most effective ways to fuel ourselves. Not efficient time wise I know but it's seems to be something that we have unlearned only to rediscover once again.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #44  

hi guys,

my food for day 5:

M1: yoghurt, OJ, yeast, bran, protein powder
M2; cranberry musli bar
M3: mushroom soup, 1/2 ww cheese sandwich
M4: rest of my sandwich
M5: (starving & stressed out to cook dinner in time to leave for DDs dance class) 2 crackers, ham. olives, artichokes
M6: 3/8 broccoli-cheese-bacon pie

I have not been hungry today except for M5, also the sugar cravings are lessening.

Again, glad to have you all around. i find it interesting and rather wonderfull to be able to compare our experiences. this is really helpfull for me.

have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #45  
Working My Way Back Down

I do need to plan my meals for the rest of the week, as well. But today:

1 - oatmeal with walnuts, raisins, flax meal, skim milk (only ate 1/2, saved the rest for another meal); ww toast w/blueberry jam
2 - ff latte
3 - lean cuisine w/added veggies, slice of real - not deli - turkey breast
4 - apple, 3/4 oz cheddar
4A - cc with strawberries (optional)
5 - steak, veggies, spinach salad, brown rice
6 - if needed, rest of the oatmeal

Please note that I have not yet eaten the cc with choc sf jello - I can't face it with the AS taste.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote