Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/150

Height: 5'5

Default Anyone familiar with HIT?

About a year ago I was working out with a trainer that used the HIT technique. I saw fantastic results in just a month, but had to quit going because of child care issues. We have since moved, and my Christmas present this year was a gym membership and I would like to start up this workout again. The only problem is I can't remember what exactly I did.

I do remember most of it was on machines, except for the balance ball squat and something with a resistance band. I see that free weights are recommended, but I want to stick with machines, at least for now. I will be working without a spotter and I just don't feel comfortable.

I guess all that back story was just a long winded way of asking; can anyone direct me to some HIT workouts that use machines?
DuchessPMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sure - HIIT was highlighted a lot in the the Body for Life books and they have tons of info about it. Here's an article detailing HIIT.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I do my HIIT on my elliptical trainer and with my kickboxing bag. I've asked questions about it too, I'll post links to the threads I've been in.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153671

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158057

All I can find so far... I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #4  

Thank you for that information, but I am actually looking for workouts popularized by Mike Mentzer. Similar to the Aurthur Jones Nautilus workouts higher weight with only one set and low reps, usually 8-10. I plan on integrating HIIT into my HIT workouts though so I will read through that information too. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #5  
Workin' It

got it... different acronym... too many letter make me crazy sometimes!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Been awhile since I last looked at the Mike Mentzer HIT video. There are other versions of HIT as well, but I really was only ever familiar with Mentzer's version. Let's see if I can recall enough to be of help.

Mentzer actually favored machines. Since his version of HIT did use a lot of machines, you really don't require a spotter. However, a partner would be necessary to do his version to it's fullest as assisted reps are utilized. Also, if you are using free weights, a spotter will be required for squats and bb benching as on the second half of the superset, every rep is a max rep.

If I recall, you worked one or two body parts a day and recovery time recommended is a week or so.

One superset per body part. 1 set per exercise.

1st set is in a goal range of 6-10 reps. (If you underestimate weight, keep going. Do not stop at 10, you need to go to failure). The goal is to go up on weight/reps/or both each and every workout. After you reach failure, you will do a couple of partner assisted reps where your partner will give you as little help as necessary on the concentric portion of the movement.

The second half of the superset is the rest-pause set. This set will only be 4 or 5 reps, no more, but they will all be max reps. Start with your best estimate of your 1 RM. Ideally, this means that you will just barely eek out each rep. Of course, realistically, you will need a partner assist to complete some of these as well or may underestimate weight and have a sub max effort on some. Don't worry either way. After each rep, you will pause 5-7 seconds. Your partner should adjust the weight for the next rep during this time.

Basically, with Mentzer's HIT you can be in and out of the gym in 15 minutes as (not counting warmups) you are doing 2-4 sets total depending upon whether you are working one or two body parts. However, these sets are to failure and beyond and are VERY intense. You should leave the gym pretty much feeling fried but in a good way.

Don't forget to warmup. Mentzer recommended a warmup exercise of 3 warmup sets, a light, moderate, and heavy prior to the start of the superset.

I can recall that he was really into tempo, but can't remember the specifics, but it was slow and controlled, especially on the concentric and involved an isometric hold at the point of maximum contraction.

Hope this helps. As I've said, I'm rusty on this and some of the details elude me.

Last edited by Depalma; 12-31-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I rotate HIIT with my regular running. It can be done with lots of different activities. It involves a series of high intensity intervals (thus, the name) mixed with less strenuous follow-up in a series of processions. With my running I sprint for 60 seconds and then fastwalk 30 or so.

Yes, I would agree the results are awesome.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I Googled HIT and WOW pretty intense!! I could never do it...

Here's a You Tube video
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

OK, I just rewatched the video to refresh my memory.

The warmup sets are done utilizing the compound exercise that you will use for the second half of the superset. This will also help you set your weight for those max effort sets.

The first set of each superset is an isolation exercise. The second is a compound. (Exception for shoulders and biceps where supersets are not used and all exercises are isolation movements).

The rest-pause technique is utilized in the video only on the chest supersets. Mentzer points out that this is a very advanced and intense technique and should only be used on one set per workout if utilized at all.

The recommended rep ranges are 5-8 for upper body and 8-15 for lower body isolation movements. Mentzer stated that his experience is that the legs respond better to higher reps.

For the max effort compound sets of the superset, failure should be reached in the 3-5 rep range if weight is estimated correctly.

There were 3 workouts in the program. Chest/Back, Legs, Shoulders/Arms. The recommended time between workouts (not between parts, between workouts) is 6 days. Mentzer said that more may be needed and that some people have been known to need up to 9 or 10 days between workouts. Basically, let your performance be your guide. If you are not increasing either reps or weight each workout, you probably need more recovery time.

The tempo is 4-2-4.

On the last rep of the isolation movements will be an assisted rep when you can no longer complete the concentric action on your own. The assisted reps are followed by a long (5-7 seconds is recommended) static hold followed by a superslow eccentric).

The specific workouts in the video are:

Chest/Back

Chest Superset
Warmup: Incline Press machine (3 sets- light, moderate, heavy)

Superset:
Isolation: Pec Dec
Compound: Incline Press Machine (Rest-Pause max effort singles used here in the video)

Back Superset:
Warmup: Lat pulldowns (supinated grip)

Superset:
Isolation: Nautilus Pullover machine
Compound: Lat pulldowns (supoinated grip)

Deadlift workout:
Warmup: 3 sets (light, moderate, heavy)

One set of 5-8 reps.

Second Workout: Legs

Quad Superset:
Warmups on Leg Press Machine

Superset:
Isolation: Leg extensions
Compound: Leg Press Machine

Hamstrings
One exercise: Lying leg curls (8-15 reps)

Calves:
Standing calve raise (utilize 12-20 reps for calves). After failure is reached. Pause briefly then do one rep with a long static hold.

Third Workout: Shoulders/Arms

Isolation exercises are used for shoulders and biceps and are not supersetted.

Lateral Raise Machine: 5-8 reps

DB Bent Over Laterals: 5-8 reps (partner assist is not utilized here. Instead when failure is reached using strict form, cheat on a rep or two using a slight hitch and momentum to help get the weight up).

BB Curls: 5-8 reps. Mentzer stated that he actually prefers the Nautilus Curl but utilized the BB Curl here since most people do not have access to the Nautilus Curl.

Tricep Superset:
Isolation: Pushdowns
Compound: Dip Machine.

Hope this helps refresh your memory of your trainers version.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this program for most people, but if you got great results with HIT before, definitely give it another go.

Last edited by Depalma; 12-31-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #10  
Mel

I just looked at some of the videos and read dePalma's summation. My biggest question is WHY???

Yes, you will get results but are they the results you want? This is a heavy duty body builder training program, not an overall fitness or strength building program. virtually none of those exercises are the least bit functional.

As depalma already said, this is not a program I'd recommend unless you are already fairly fit, used to working to failure, and have a partner. There are lots of other fitness programs out there more suited to fitness as opposed to building a competition body.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #11  

Getting a competition body is actually my final goal through all this. First and foremost I want to get healthy, and be at a good weight for my body, but ultimately I do want to compete at least once. Thank you all for the refresher.