Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #16  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
The one that I've read is the first one - the basic plan:
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Ment...6686074&sr=8-1

I think there's a Body for Life for Women out as well, but I haven't read that one. If it's anything like the first one, I'd say that it's probably pretty good though.

Thank you. I'm going to order the one you have. Inside it shows you all of the strength exercises right? Do they show any with resistance bands, kettle balls, etc.?
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Has anyone pointed out this site?

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Krista answers all those questions and has lots of info and instruction.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Also, bodybuilding.com has a cool thing where you can find exercises by body parts. I'm a weight lover too - it just makes everyday life so darn much easier. Getting around is easier, everyday challenges like needing to sprint a long distance to the closest restroom on a soccer field is now a possibility, chasing a wayward cart before it hits your car in a parking lot, the possibilities are endless!

So agree with midwife that if also allows little indulgences from time to time. We all used to say that when we were young we could skip one meal and lose three pounds. Now we can ead badly one meal and GAIN three pounds. Weight lifting seems to help cover more of the little sins that we commit, and if totally clean, works amazing results!

Last edited by sportmom; 11-14-2008 at 03:19 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree with everyone else too. Since I started to lifting my weight loss has been awesome. I am only in my third week of lifting but I see results all ready and things like lifting my DS are so much easier. I lost 4lbs the first week and 2 the second!!

Definatley worth trying!! Good luck!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #20  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

Height: 5'4"

wow now i'm thinking i should pick up weight lifting so far i've only done the 5lb ones with the 30 day shred and then with the biggest loser workouts --- i'm going to go check out those books and websites ---

on a side note--- i've been working out a lot and starting to feel the muscles in my stomach and abs area--- when i pointed it out to my hubby he said not to do so much stomach/ab workouts cause my stomach will hurt a lot from it---is that true??? will your stomach hurt from doing this

Last edited by princess2323; 11-14-2008 at 04:42 PM.
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Pffft. Your hubby needs to read some of the weight lifting books himself.

Working out your core is a GREAT thing to do. A strong core (abs and back) will mean everything else is so much easier.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #22  

Height: 5'7

This is a great thread because I was wondering the same thing! After reading it, I plan to "want" to add weights because right now I am focusing on cardio.....it takes me a while though to warm up to new ideas! eek!

What do you'all think is the minimum amount of weight lifting that would be effective...ie how many times per week? I like to start out sloooooooowly, like the Slowski's on TV (you know, that turtle family).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #23  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Thinkerbell: The recommended minimum for getting started is two to three days a week. Do not lift the same body part two days in a row. Your muscles require 48 hours to heal before you may lift with heavy resistance again. You may however continue to do the cardio everyday. Make sure you are crosstraining your cardio whenever possible.

It is wise to introduce lifting slowly into your program. It will give your ligaments and tendons time to adjust to the new stress they are experiencing. Muscles recover and develop a little faster than these connective tissues. Just a little FYI.

Your routine should be a full body that hits the major muscles of the upper and lower body. Select exercises that will hit the chest(pectoral) shoulders (anterior, medial, posterior deltoids) biceps and triceps, back (trapezius, latissimus dorsi) abdominals, glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calves.

One exercise per body part will get you started. Select a weight heavy enough to fatigue your muscles by the 8th or 10th rep. To really be effective you will want it to feel like you almost can't make that last second rep. After about four weeks you may then add a second set to your routine of 8 to 12 reps.

Form is also very important. Research and watch videos online that demonstrate proper form for the movement. Do not sacrifice form for just one more rep. Make sure you are using full range of motion in your lift and use a nice controlled speed lifting as well as lowering. Don't lift the weight so fast that you are using momentum as well as your muscle. Also, when lowering the weight do it nice an' slow. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people waving weights around that were obviously too light and so fast it could be considered an aerobic workout.

The books and websites previously mentioned are full of suggestions for addressing these muscles. Many of these exercises are compound exercises which means they will hit more than one body part at a time. This is a great thing to incorporate into your program so that you can workout a little more efficiently while in the gym or at home.

Good luck and happy researching/lifting.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #24  

Height: 5'7

Lydia,

Thanks so much for your response....I'll check into it.

I am glad that I found this forum....you guys are FANTASTIC!...so much info and support!

Hugs,
thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #25  
WaLk-iT-OuT

S/C/G: 179/160/125

Height: 5'3"

WoW, thanks for all the input! I am CONVINCED! LOL ... I checked out the Body for Life link, and ordered the book! I'm going to start lifting with a friend of mine today. I will let you know how it goes!
misspiggy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

lol. Everyone here clearly thinks like I do and I'm glad that you are convinced. I also highly recommend a combination of weights and cardio. Also, my boyfriend put me on a weightlifting diet of 40/40/20 (% of carbs/protein/fat) which has worked beautifully for me. I look more toned and definately thinner. Be sure to pay attention to the INCHES you lose while lifting. It is more telling than the scale (because muscle weights more than fat ). I have lost roughly 15 lbs to date but went from a size 16 to a size 11. Good luck!!!
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #27  
Working My Way Back Down

Arghhh. Not to pick on you digging deep but his is a real pet peeve of mine - muscle and fat weigh exactly the same - a pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less room and makes you look smaller (a good thing ) but a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, or feathers, or anything else. It's how much room they take up that makes the difference. Somewhere here on the 3FC threads is a great picture of a pound of each.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #28  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, found it.... See how nice and small and tight muscle is.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Ooooh Ahhhhh and look how the red stuff doesn't look all jiggly either! It's like SPAM vs JELLO

So in the last six weeks I gained one spam and lost 9 jellos! They must have been well spread out tho, like I'm sure the muscle gain was too, cuz I'm not missing any lumps of that yellow stuff like I'd love to. Maybe some of it was also visceral - that would be great!

Last edited by sportmom; 11-17-2008 at 06:57 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

Wouldn't you just love it if the yellow did fall off in lumps? I've not been missing any yellow lately either.