Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #1  
Mel

Default October!

Yikes! It's October. The sky is dark and wet leaves are falling this morning

I'm going to try and keep track of how much weight I lift during a typical week. I log what I eat, so this will be just a variation of the same game. I haven't quite thought out the "rules". Cables pose a bit of a problem as do body weight exercises. Maybe I'll just count free weights.

I think I'll pass on jumping out the window and waiting to be missed It would be pretty depressing to NOT be missed and have my paycheck stop!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

oh man Mel, of course you would be missed :-) who else would lift the heavy boxes and bags?

My son's 7AM practices are KILLING my routine. I squeezed in TaeBo last night and a bike ride this morning, but I'm missing the gym - especially since I'm PAYING for it. I even considered getting up at 330 AM so I could get to the gym by 4 in order to be back home by 530 but that would be super

Oh well, two more days, then life goes back to normal.

Food is still clean which is amazing in itself. I always swore that I could only eat clean if I was also working out steadily. I've proven myself a liar, which is a good thing.

How's everyone else's October starting out?
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh my god, its October?! Tonight is day 1 of my running program. Although there are showers predicted so... hopefully they won't cancel. If they do, they'll at least hand us our running plan, I think. I did NRLW 1-5B this morning. It was funny, I had 70 lbs on the barbell and told myself I couldn't do deadlifts with that much weight then I told myself that it wouldn't feel heavy once I started and I was right. I should've even upped the weight but next time. Just a lack of confidence this morning.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh Mel - I'm interested to see how you log. I am noting what I do in my blog every day (part of my accountability for October) ... but I have a hard time quantifying my lifting workouts.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

nelie, I do 60 on dumbbells (total) and I'm not the kettlebell queen you are, so I'm sure you can go higher! Just be careful as that is one moved I slightly pulled my back over and was pretty uncomfy for 2 days. That has kinda scared me from going above 60 bc I was on 35's each when it happened. I'm sure it was more of a form issue, but who wants to repeat history on their back?

Yes, glorious OCtober is here! Soon the sticky faces will be at your door demanding candy! Boo hiss, I've bought PENCILS this year! No reason at'all for DH to start bringing in a bag here or there during the month.

Working out and eating are both going great. Planning to make the same post on 10/31 and 11/1 too!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

What exactly are planning to log, Mel? You said free weights - so if you do 20 biceps curls with 10 lb dumbbell in each hand (just an example) you would log
20x10x2 ?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: WHAT!? You don't have a little leather bound lifting book that has recorded every session for the last six years?! Your kidding right? I do. Well, mine goes back four years. Honestly, it's a habit I developed from the very beginning. When I first began, the pt had organized the exercises, weight, reps and date on a sheet of paper for me. I used that as a template for my own book. When I was really new to lifting having all this information handy helped me keep my head together once I entered the free weights area. Now I have it sectioned off and bookmarked with different workouts and by body part. It's also a place to record questions that pop into my head during my cardio sessions. Course there are some days when it's just one more thing to carry...

Today's workout was 50 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and thirty minutes of core and stretching. While I missed doing legs a little bit it was nice to get in some new core exercises with the ball.

Nelie: Good luck with your running program this evening. How very exciting. Are you running outside? It's really cool outside here. A great afternoon for a run :

Fran: Glad to know that you are having great success with the food and workout. My workouts are fine but some things are starting to trip me in the food area. Just a few "treats" that have become habits that need to be snipped in the bud. I'm not gaining but it's enough to prevent me from losing. It's either me or the pretzels. Grrrrrr. Maybe if I bought the really yucky kind it would help. The kids will still eat the yucky ones in their lunches. ~sigh~ I just need to clean things up. I really want to head into the fall and winter about five pounds under my current weight. A little wiggle room so I don't end up frustrated and working my tail off all over again this spring. Overall though I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my level of fitness at this point. It's so nice to be able to move with strength and well if I had any, grace.

Enjoy the evening.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Grace - now we have to have grace, too??!! Lydia, you crack me up. I swear I'm the klutziest person on the planet. Can't dance worth anything, I've fallen off treadmills, yada yada.

I too would like to have a little more wiggle room. I know I need to do more cardio. If I could just get some of the midsection to shift or better yet GO, then I could wear my next sized smaller pants.... I'm wearing the smaller of the 2 sizes of pants in my closet today, and still the legs are baggy. I was a pear all my life, and this shift to apple bothers me. Swimming is helping though and I'm really enjoying it even though - again - I feel like a klutz trying to correct all my bad habits. The classes really are a workout though. I have one tonight, and then I'll miss three while I'm away. BOth places I'm staying have pools though, so I can practice. And treadmills (as least, they "claim" fitness rooms).

Nice sunny day with a bright blue sky here. Too bad it's only 43! Lots of that white stuff on the mountain tops, and frost every morning this week.

Last edited by WaterRat; 10-01-2008 at 05:13 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #9  
Mel

nelie- I hope you aren't having the same weather we are.... Your run will be more of a puddle jump.

Lydia- I quit writing down my workouts about 3 years ago when I started working out every afternoon with most of the other trainers. I just never started again. And some of my exercises are so goofy, that the writing part would take longer than the workout. Remember, I'm not trying to progress on anything and I've been doing this for a REALLY long time. I've hit the point on most of my lifts where age, joint stability, and weight hoisted have converged to "maintenance" rather that moving more metal. In some cases, I've lightened up, but compensated by making the overall exercise harder: those one legged bosu tricks. Or balancing on my knees on a stability ball while doing lat pull downs.

So for what I did lift today:
Shoulder day(not done in this order, but a 4 set circuit):
Dumbbell presses: 20(40) X 10 = 400
25(50) X 10 = 500
30(60) X 10 = 600
Military BB press: 45 X 10 = 450
55 X 10 = 550
65 X 8 = uh, 520
Front raises: 35 X 10 = 350
15(30) X10 = 300
17.5(35) X 10 350
cables?
Side raises 4X 15(30) X10 1200
cables?
rear delts 15(30) X 10 = 300
17.5(35)X10 = 350
20 (40) X 10 = 400
cables? ______

This is more typing than it was worth! Sure would be easier if I could import an excel spreadsheet into here

Eating fell apart.

Mel

edit: and formatting is impossible!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Oww - my bootocks HURT! (note cheesy october/halloween reference. actually, it's what my kids call them) I don't know what I did. Maybe it was those bent legged deadlifts followed by the incline on the treadmill. I feel like i have drill bits in my lower booty - they're on both sides at least, so i don't have a pulled glute or anything
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Wow Mel, am I reading this right? You are using 15 pound db's for your side raises. That's impressive. When I try to go higher than 10 pounds the anterior part of my shoulder joint really aches so I've just never progressed. And lat pull downs while kneeling on a ball. See Pat...now that takes grace. That's what I'm talking about. Wow, Mel, that is a lot of volume. Nice workout.

Pat: It's nice that you are wearing the smaller pant in your closet though isn't? As a fellow pear I don't think a shift to an apple is something I would acclimate too as well. Unless of course it came with the other promises of being an apple and that means awesome legs. In my case very doubtful. But back to the apple thing. I am so very used to my midsection being the smaller part of my body that when I do wear something tight across that area it really drives me buggy. I purchased a camisole top made with enough lycra in it to be used as a tourniquet. If feels fine on top but around my tummy it's clingy and really bothers me even though it "looks" fine.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It was sprinkling a little during the running class but it was awesome! I had a lot of fun being with other people. It was actually a pretty big group and I was actually near the front of the pack. The plan is 4 runs/week with one of the runs being with the class.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #13  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Mel - looking at your (very impressive) results methinks you should save yourself all the typing and just post the monthly tally in TONS at the end of each month.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I am so very used to my midsection being the smaller part of my body
Yup Lydia - that was me most of my life. I can remember always having to wear a belt or taking tucks in my waistbands. This latest "relapse" has completely changed where I carry my extra weight - weird. Must be a menopausal thing.... I'm thinking that the swimming is helping though, enough so I can now wear the smaller size.

I'm off in a couple hours for 5 days in Oregon, followed by 4 days at a Public Library Directors' meeting at a ski resort (but no snow yet) about 2.5 hours drive south of here. I'll be back to work on the 13th. I'll have my laptop as I have a lot of budget stuff to get done while I'm gone - boo! But both hotels have fitness rooms and pools....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I have a new exercise that is sure to challenge EVERYONE! Attempt to do a high intensity Tae Bo workout while helping a 14 year old answer study questions for an Economics test! Works your body (exercise) works your lungs (trying to find breath to answer) Works your coordination (trying to stay on count with Billy and yet also remember the difference between free market economies and command economies) works your mind (trying to remember school stuff that I probably forgot the minute the ink dried on my high school economics grade.)

Last edited by tikanique; 10-03-2008 at 12:02 PM.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote