Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Pilates and Circuit Training??

I have been doing circuit training for about 4 weeks now and I just recently started to do Pilates for flexibility. Do you think that if I did the pilates on the days that I dont lift that I would be doing any damage or that my muscles wouldnt get enough rest? I am currently using the "10 min solution pilates" video.

This is what my week looks like...
Mon-60 min circuit 10 min pilates
Tues-45 min circuit, 30 mins of SS cardio, 10 min pilates
Wed-Kick boxing or 30 mins of HIIT, 10 min pilates
Thur-60 min ciruit, 10 min pilates
Fri- 45 min circuit, 30 mins of SS cardio, 10 min pilates
Sat 30 mins of HIIT or some form of exercise
Sun off!!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

TIA

Last edited by AngelMae; 11-12-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

What do you consider circuit training? It's a term that means different things to different people. Do you mean a program using weight machines or free weights? Or are you doing a Curves type program?

10 minutes of Pilates isn't a lot, and it sounds like you're using it more for flexibility/stretching. That sounds to me like a fine thing for those non-weight days.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

AngelMae: Pilates and yoga are great ways to to increase your full range of motion in flexibility. I also suspect that these activities encourage yet another dimension of strength that compliments weight lifting and vice versa.

Should you use Pilates as an exercise on your off lifting days? Yes. It will be an excellent way to increase blood circulation through your achy muscles. The increase in blood will help to deliver the nutrients necessary to repair the muscle as well as assist in the removal of the lactic acid that has built up in the tissues.

Be careful though. This summer when I began yoga I used the poses and asanas for the very reason you are incorporating Pilates. My experience was that because it was a new activity for my body I needed time to acclimate to it. Ego also got in the way sometimes and I would take the pose a little further than I really should have and yep, I pulled my hamstrings. Not exactly helpful when you are trying to use it to recover from your lifting days right. Just a little warning to go slow and allow your body to acclimate to the new exercises if Pilates is a new addition to your routine. Sounds like you are doing great though.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Lydia227- Thanks!! I really enjoy pilates and want to continue doing it along with my circuit training!! So thanks again for the info!!

WaterRat- I am using both free weights and machines. I am not doing Curves, I am following the circuits that are outlined in Jillian Micheals book, "Winning By Losing." And so far they are working for me!

Thanks again ladies for the help!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote