Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226.6/190/160

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation Help, I don't know what happened.

Ok you know how just when you think things are finally going to work out and then something goes wrong....

Well that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I finally was able to go to the gym and I received a gift card for 4 free personal training sessions.

On my second visit, my trainer had me do some leg lungs. First the right leg (15 reps) then the left. Well the right leg went just fine and then the left leg after the third lung I felt a pop in my thigh and the pain began. It was in the front alittle more to the left than the center. My trainer said it was probably a cramp. But I don't think so. I continued to finish the work out.
I did 30 mins. on the treadmill and 10 miles on the cycle. It didn't hurt extremely bad but it was still hurting.

When I got home I took Aleve and put ice on it.

I can't put my leg in the position where my leg is extended back even a little or it hurts, even walking bothers it because of the stide.

Do you have any idea what has happened to my thigh?
scalewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Wow, I don't, but maybe our trainers or experienced injured will. I just wanted to post and ask how it's feeling today?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #3  

thanks for replying It stills hurts. Not extremely bad though. Still can feel a knot in my thigh where it hurts.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Well, putting ice on it and taking an anti inflammatory was probably the smartest thing you could do at that point. I would also take extra precaution to keep it elevated as well and just plain take it easy for a few days. Is the area swollen or warm to the touch?

I haven't had an injury like this one. Mine have all been under that patella (kneecap) Certainly if it inhibits you from walking normally or just the thought of walking on it causes you to wince make an appointment to see your doc.

When you are ready to resume your lower body workouts I would suggest doing squats, step ups, supported split squats (holding onto something in front of you if you can with no additional weight) dumbell deadlifts and maybe even one legged deadlifts as well. Its not until you have been able to master all of those that I would consider adding lunges.

Lunges are a great exercise. They recruit a lot of lower muscles all at once but also rely upon stability on one leg as well as your core strength. When it is time to do lunges maybe backward lunges first and then even forward lunges.

In my own personal experience of recovering from menisci surgery I found that I was able to do all of the before mentioned exercises with a lot of additional weight long before I could do lunges. In fact, the surgery was in January and it was April or May before I was able to do my first real lunge. At this time, lunges are hit or miss for me. Some days I can do them, some days I can't. But with all the other methods for targeting your legs I don't really miss them if I can't do them during a particular session.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #5  

Thanks Lydia. It does feel warm to touch. It does not really hurt to touch it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
I would suggest doing squats, step ups, supported split squats (holding onto something in front of you if you can with no additional weight) dumbell deadlifts and maybe even one legged deadlifts as well. Its not until you have been able to master all of those that I would consider adding lunges.
Wow! Just wanted you to know I benefitted from this post as well. As I was reading it, I was saying, check -check-check and check. I felt so smart! That's kind of my thinking too - of waiting until I get past a major weight milestone so as to ensure I'm not enjuring my joint by putting too much weight on it in a delicate position. Thanks again Lydia!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote