Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, make sure to let us know what the doctor says in the morning. There's no fever involved, right? I once had fatigue and low grade fever for 3-4 weeks and could tell you the details about that, but it won't apply if there's no fever involved. I hope you get a pick me up soon!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #122  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lydia, sorry to hear that that pesky cold is still hanging around. It must really like your body! :-) Get well soon.

Mel, how's the sprained thumb?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #123  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Good Monday Morning!

It's amazing how time flies and I've been lurking around but nothing too exciting to post. Like with everyone, life is always getting in the way! I've been slacking a bit with my workouts. I'm still going, but not as often. I think I need a couple of new things to work into my routine to keep me interested. I might pull my NROLW out for some inspiration.

I'm still doing my once a week yoga, and loving it! But once a week is enough for me. It's been too cold (for me) to run outside and I hate the treadmill so I'll have to just suck it up or head back to my spinning classes.

Lydia - I can't believe you're still sick. I hope the doctor can help you get rid of whatever it is. There's lots of colds and stuff going around here and I had my share but it was just a cold and didn't last too long. That reminds me, I think I need to look into my annual flu shot. I think it's about that time of year!

Kim - congrats on your PR...that is amazing! And Hawaii...oh I love Hawaii!! If you've never been and need some tips on where to go or what to do, just ask. I can talk about Hawaii forever.

Fran - so chocolate milk really is the best after lifting food! I think this my actually be the one thing that might get my DH to start lifting.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #124  
Mel

Good morning! I did a full body workout on Saturday and amazed that almost all of me is mildly sore. Change is good

This was an extremely busy weekend- I helped ds do several college applications, did a LOT of bulk shopping and cooking, cleaned, cleaned up gardens, etc.

I'm waiting around this morning for ds to feel better so I can take him to school late or get a doc appointment

Lydia This sure has gone on too long! Please take care of yourself and let us know how the appointment goes.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #125  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Morning, everyone!

Lydia, I hope you'll get some help from the doc. Hopefully some antibiotics or something similar can kick it out of there, so you can get back to normal, and keep up with those boys!

Fran, is the chocolate milk for after lifting, or cardio? I'll have to go catch up on posts, since I missed that part of the chat. Anyway, glad you're feeling more energetic with it!

Elisa, I haven't been able to get used to the treadmill, myself. When I get off, I feel like I'll fall over...sorta that "just got off the escalator" feeling, I guess. I have a hard time doing running at the gym, period...it's just so boring to me. I like running outside, or if it's gross out, I still fall back on how I started (when I felt too embarrassed to take my chunky self outside to run): running through the house...I put some music on the stereo, and just jog through the house...the carpet is cushy, I can crank up the tunes without headphones, and the bathroom is right there (lol).. what more do I need?

Mel, I finally got the garden beds cleaned up last week. Now, I'm sheet composting them for the winter....I like it when the worms do all the tilling for me.

I have a scale victory to report today: I passed the 50 lbs lost mark! I'm lifting LB today, so I know I'm gonna bloat up with water weight, but for a few hours, I'll celebrate, anyway! (amazingly, not with food!)

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-27-2008 at 02:40 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #126  

LYDIA????

LYDIA's DH?????

JAM, congrats on the 50!! Whoohoo!

Last edited by sportmom; 10-27-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #127  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Fran: I'm here I was typing my reply when you posted.

Thanks for all the support everyone. : The doc looked in my throat, felt my lymph nodes and said it was an infection (no really?) and gave my a script for antibiotics. If there wasn't any improvement in two weeks to come back. My expectations were met. Hopefully I'll be in full swing by Friday. I'm hosting the neighborhood Halloween party in my house two hours prior to Trick or Treat.

Cheryl: This is a wonderful scale victory. Its so mind boggling sometimes when those numbers actually become a reality.

Mel: My DS1 was home this morning too, ear infection. Just before lunch he recalled that today was the last day of his after school magic class and he was well enough to go in for afternoon classes. He was pretty uncomfortable this morning though.

Elisa: Yoga once a week is about all I can squeeze in too. It is harder to get out there once it's dark and cold. Also, I feel a little guilt about leaving the family during those hours. Maybe if I could find a place that offers morning classes when the kids are in school I could add more of it into my schedule.

Okay, so no matter how good I may feel tomorrow morning when I get up do not allow encourage me to go back to the gym on Wednesday. (Oh this is so hard to type) Really. I think I need to give myself like three consecutive days of good health until I go back.

Have a great evening!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #128  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, Lydia, my gym offers yoga at least one, maybe two, mornings a week. I'll get you a guest pass.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #129  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
said it was an infection (no really?)
Yes, that is why they get paid the big bucks!

I could have used a genius here today...I just figured out that I've been using twice as much protein powder as I should. I have the EAS pack from Costco...it says "2 scoops" is a serving, so I've been using that all along, but after seeing so many recipes say "1 scoop" like it was a universal powder measurement, I decided to weigh it out and see if it matched the grams on the nutrition label. Of course, it didn't...it takes about one and a quarter scoops to make a serving, or just one heaper...I think they switched scoops, or just wanted folks to blow through it faster.

Anyway, LBWO is done, and it was a good one. Lydia, I tried those rollouts today. I couldn't go out very far, but I'll keep working on it. I could definitely feel it!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #130  
Let's salsa!

Cheryl,
Congrats on the 50 lbs loss. That is HUGE! [pun intended]

Re your protein powder - after a two-week wait, I finally got my Body For Life book yesterday and I read it from start to end. Bill Phillips is suggesting having three protein shakes a day. I find it an overkill (and it sounds like a big promotion of his EAS products). So there you go - I forgot if he is suggesting one or two scoops but he is having three a day.

This is a total coincidence - I was actually coming here to ask a question if anybody followed the Body For Life program, and if so, how did you like it?
I am going to, but just like with everything else, I will be doing my own modified version. First of all, my hip won't allow the intensity of the cardio as he suggests (I would be out of commission for half a week) and I definitely don't want a protein shake 3 x a day - My stomach wants real food.
But I modify everything to suit my needs, why should BFL be an exception? LOL
Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #131  

Legend has it that this forum started from a few BFL'ers getting together. There's a ton of that kind of info here in the stickies above and within the posts. I haven't personally done it to plan, but have read both books (his and the female version by Peeke) and my workouts actually follow the weight lifting portion of BFL, specifically the decreasing reps of increasing weights, 3 sets. I eat my own plan which is basically 30/30/30 and not so overkill on the protein, and then I do cardio 6x/wk and the wl'ing. It's kind of like the BFL for dummies plan I think.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #132  
Mel

Yup, when I joined this forum it was a BFL forum. I did the plan mostly by the book a very long time ago. Keep in mind that Bill Philips owned EAS at the time- BFL relied heavily on EAS supplements. He did state somewhere in the book that you could do BFL without protein powder and supplements, but he included it for "convenience". Two scoops of powder is usually about 50-55 grams of protein; way too much for most women and way too much for Fran's kidneys!

When I do have shakes, I try to keep it to one per day and 1 scoop, with 20-25 grams of protein.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

i'm stil alive - been buried at work. skimmed thru, Lydia, hope you are getting better. When I joined the forum it was Ladies Who Lift :-) Tomato, make sure you don't go for "discount" protein. I got a tub of the cheap stuff and it made me gag, no matter how I tried to ingest it whether in soy milk, water, oatmeal - it was AWFUL! Good luck with the program! It does work.

Eating is still pretty clean: i've dropped from a tight 18 to a 14 - yay me! I've finally come to the conclusion that the crew's schedule will not allow me to be in bed in time for 430AM workouts so I've moved them to 9PM. Gives me time to get home, cook, get them started on homework, get back home in time to check homework and get them off to bed. I hate that it's so late, but it's better late than never, right?
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #134  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Tiki: There are you are! Right, better late than never. But late is in the eye of the beholder. If this works better then it's right on time.

I got drugs so I'm on my way to getting healthy. The zpack they put me on is making me very tired and very thirsty. I'm shooting for a Saturday morning workout but we'll see. I'm beginning to feel thick in the middle but it's probably my own head. No real scale changes but then again I'm not exactly hungry right now either. Thank goodness.

Tomato, I did BFL. I did it probably about 90% to the book. There were a lot of baked chicken breasts for dinner for several months. DH was a champ and never complained once. It's also where I learned how to combine the cottage cheese and yogurt into a minimeal. I really am grateful for finding this book. It has turned into the template in which I still eat today. I also found that it has taken the stress out of eating for me. I no longer worry so much about calories or points. Got a protein. Check. Whole grain carb? Check. Water? Check. EFA? Check. Good to go.

Good luck with the program.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #135  
Let's salsa!

Thanks for all your replies.
I have officially started my BFL yesterday, but like with everything else I do, I am gonna do my own modified version of it. (I cannot cook from a recipe without modifying in some way - I guess I like to live dangerously). :-)
I have work around my hip issue (a problem with the connective tissue, not the joint) and running that intense may put me out of commission for a week. I am still testing what I can or cannot do. Yesterday morning, I did about 30 hr of climb hill on my TM (my incline goes to 10), I am fine so far. Also, I do not want to drop classes that I am already taking (Zumba 2x a week, I am starting to love it).
Also, I like to work out to Jackie Warner's DVD. Anyway, the key is to do something and exercise, and I will follow the suggestion of increasing weight/decreasing reps.
I don't have to worry about chaging my eating habits because that's already firmly in place (but, I yet have to learn NOT to spend $175 at Costco when I go there JUST for a tray of chicken or turkey breast!). I also don't plan to do a free day once a week (I tend to have a hard time getting back on track after those) but through my entire existence on 3FC, I always allowed myself something off-plan here and there, when I really craved it. So far it worked well for me, so I don't see any need to change it.
I am only 14 lbs away from my goal (or at least what I think will be my goal weight), so I think a somewhat modified version should work. I will keep you posted.