Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #16  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Lydia - so much for the detailed explanation...that's the kind of instructions I was looking for!! It does sound goopy but interesting enough to try! I need something to carry me through the mornings and I like all of the ingredients...just wouldn't have though to put them all together. I will be trying this very soon and get back to you. To be honest, it's only the protein powder that I'm worried about. I hope it doesn't give it an odd taste. I can normally only tolerate the powder when I disguise it with some fruit in a smoothie or drink it up really fast.

Mel - I hope you took my joy in your post the way it was intended...I'm even more proud of you for your PB story!

Last edited by elisa822; 09-17-2008 at 08:49 PM.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Nelie - great job on the swimming. I'm not that far yet. Tonight I did 6 laps, not without a short stop at the end of each one though. In college I took lifesaving classes for PE and to pass we had to swim a mile - whew, that took it out of you. I'm improving quickly though. I actually could have gone at least one more lap but I was out of time. They're tearing up roads all over town still - hoping to do a massive paving before snowfall. Got held up in traffic on the way to the pool.

Lydia - your glop sounds good, though I have no pp at the moment....

Gotta scoot.. It's after 9:30 and I aim to be in bed by 10. DH got home from his camping trip tonight - walking in literally as I finished cooking a nice stir fry for dinner.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #18  
No description available.

Lydia, that sounds like my kind of food!

So after the House discussion last week, I watched a few episodes on Sunday (House marathon + on call with no active patients). I laughed my rear off. I think I have found a new favorite show. Thanks guys!

I don't post much cause not much is going on. Just running and lifting and eating and working (oh, yea, working!). I did this reverse grip chest press thing last night and I think I tweaked some nerve on my forearms. I'm sure it will pass.

Have a good one!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #19  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

I'm glad I could help all of you with your breakfast plans. MY kitchen is open at 5:00am for breakfast if any of you traveling to Columbus. It would wig DH out completely to see a kitchen full of female lifters eating this stuff with big smiles on their faces.

I saw the last five minutes of House as well. I just happened to turn it on and there it was. I exclaimed "Oh hey, it's that show with that guy." DH turns and says you mean "House." (He doesn't watch TV either) I'm like, "How in the did you know about this show." He just smugly looks at me and says "I know everything." dork. I hate it when he one ups me like that.

Kids are finally back in school. Well, one of them is the other will be back tomorrow. Its such a beautiful day here it's a shame I just can't calm myself to enjoy it more. It just feels so unsettled this week since the kids were home and trust me they ran like maniacs back and forth to the school, house to house on their bikes...you know, like real kids are supposed to do in the summer without planned activities. By the middle of the week one of DS's friends has his arm in a sling and another little boy got clubbed in the side and my DS fell of his bike and scraped up his knee pretty bad. I'm a little rattled even after a yoga class last night. To add to it my left knee is a little messed up. I'm going to need to take the squats and running out of my workouts until this flare up goes a way. I'm trying hard to work around the pain and can't quite target the quads in the way that I like. Anyway, better days are right around the corner. I can see them. :

Have a great morning everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #20  

Hi LWL,

Rabbit checking in.
I have been lurking these past weeks, to crazy busy with work, house chores and whatever. I am still trying very much to get back into the groove.

I have gained where I wanted to be loosing, so I am now looking much more carefully into my food calories, and I aim to get in 30 minutes of exercise each day. Difficult. But I have a new toy to keep me company, I use the nintendo weight loss coach these days. it is a "game" on my DS, and altough the advises etc are not much and the entries for calories burned in exercise and caloties in through food are very rough, I find that it does help me keep track a little bit better. I feel I have a positive commitment to look what challenges the DS has in store for me, and to tell every evening what exercise i did and what food I had. The game does have very optimistic views on the speed with which I'll lose weight tough, because it just stubbornly refuses to shift.

On the good side, I am biking to work again, altough on an electric bike. I found out that is is just over 4 miles one way, and I cannot stomach biking 8 miles each day without some help. On the electric bike, 30% is provided by the motor, so that I still get a form of exercise every day.

For the rest I am just very tired, achy joints etc. I can tell that autumn is coming from the aching of my hands.

Lydia - I love your stories about the kids at home,

Hi to all the ret of you,

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

fly by post here. The Girl got stung by some flying bug yesterday at Meet the Teacher night, then began to complain of a headache and sore throat. By 1AM her face, eyes and the wiggly thing in the back of her throat had swollen up like crazy and she couldn't breath well. I drugged her and tucked her in with me, but that was the end of my sleep for the night. This AM the swelling had gone down a bit, but not where she could function (talk and eat) properly so I gave her more Benadryl and took her to work with me. She finally was okay for school (she HATES missing the core classes) so I dropped her off in time for science, english and economics - missed math. Needless to say I got NO exercise in this AM nor have I eaten anything other than a half a nuked sweet potato. I can't wait to get home to my fridge!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Wow! You are a brave mom! When the throat starts closing I'm thinking ER, despite the $100 co-pay that goes with it. She should be careful even more so going forward as her next bite will likely make her react worse.

We are an epipen carrying family for a tree nut allergy so I always go into panic mode whenever dd eats something while we're out and tells me her throat hurts. Never know when cross contamination or secret ingredients in restaurants will show up.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #23  

wow, Tiki, how scary!
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #24  
Mel

Rabbit- Good to see you. I was thinking about you yesterday

Tiki- I'm with Fran...swelling after inset bites or ingestion of some foods terrifies me. I've spent a day in the ER myself due to a kiwi fruit allergy (actually the fuzz on the skin) and most of my family carry epi-pens for bee stings. I probably would have had my car keys in my hand all night.

Gotta run

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #25  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Tiki: Thanks goodness your daughter is okay now. Wow, what an experience. I hope you are all well again and rested.

Fran: Love the note under your avatar. I'm struggling with the whole diet soda thing. The wacko part is that I only "think" that I really enjoy the diet cherry or vanilla Coke. I get half way through it and and it ends back in the fridge. Lately the "On the Go" mix ins for water have been my first choice. Perhaps better but not quite as good as just plain water. I'll get there. Anyway, with this huge step! I think it's huge. For me the diet soda is a trigger that also makes me long for the kiddie carbs and that's where I'll trip. I drop this habit and I lose like three pounds of water in two days. ~sigh~ Proven again this weekend by this morning's weigh in. I was no where near any of th kids stuff and there it is, a nice three pound drop.

Rabbit: Hey, there are you are! The weightloss toy seems interesting. I know that whenever I am accountable in tracking my calories I do seem to do much better at losing. Maintenance, not so much of a challenge but when I really want to cut, I really have make myself record that stuff somewhere. I still use Fitday but only when I really feel like I need to drop a few pounds. I've just gotten out of that habit.

Nice workout yesterday. Nothing major to report but a nice calming centered feeling afterward. :

Have a great weekend everyone
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #26  
Mel

Up and at 'em Monday! It feels like fall out there.

I had a good legs session Saturday, a treadmill run between yard work, food prep, and going to a concert by a German group that sings and plays Gaelic music yesterday and managed to stay pretty much on plan this weekend!

This week is going to be wild with school open house, my ds's 18th birthday (my baby), and work. Oh yeah...work Planning is crucial!

How was everyone's weekend?

Mel
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #27  

Mel, my baby turned 7 yesterday and we had 2 open houses last week for them! lol Fun similarities!

I got up this morning and did my 45 min walk with dh on our dreadfully hilly neighborhood. Then took my first crack at making real oatmeal. 1 cup of quick oats, 1/2 c skim milk, and a little less than 1/4 tsp of splenda. This was also my first venture into the splenda world. I added it in 1/16 tsp increments until I got it where I liked it. I think I may look for the brown sugar splenda in the store since I read on the pkg it's available.

Whoa - what's with all the fat in oatmeal? I was entering my meal into spark and kinda choked when I had to type in 5 g of fat and 1 g of saturated fat. But the 10g of protein were also nice.

(Keep in mind I can't add the p-powder to my oatmeal like all of you can, so I take it naturally where I can get it!)

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #28  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Afternoon, everyone.

Oatmeal + cottage cheese + protein powder? Sounds like a mixture that isn't for the faint of heart. Don't get me wrong, I like all three ingredients. The combination, though, sounds downright ... vomitous.

Shoulder/ab workout done for the day. Pullups were fine, despite the extra few um, five, um, five plus pounds that I'm hauling around these days. But, I definitely felt a Not Good twinge in my shoulder whilst doing reverse flyes (flies?). And, my hip has been acting up again. Getting old sucks.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #29  
Mel

Oh good grief Kim! You aren't old!

My legs are really sore- I think it was from the run rather than leg day. I was really cranking the speed intervals, and running inclines. At least I thought I was really zipping along until I met up with my lunch-time workout partner today who did the Phila Distance Run yesterday. She maintained the same pace over 13 and a 1/2 miles that I did for 2 miles

My back and chest workout today was very ho-hum. The spirit was willing, but the body was tired! I cut a few sets short so that I wouldn't drop a dumbbell on my face

Fran- I'm amazed that this is your first foray into oatmeal It's good fat, and not that much of it.

Nite
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #30  

REAL oatmeal - that comes in a canister and not a packet. i'm cooking challenged, so i always relied on the company to season it for me. Now i'm doing it myself.