Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 02:11 PM   #1  

Default Body for Life #49

Welcome to a new week, a new thread and Daylight Savings Time. Summer is round the corner. Let's get into shape!!!

Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!

Last edited by susanje; 04-07-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #2  

Continuing on from 48

MrsJim: I went to the gym early too. Did a killer LBWO and then waited for Yoga/Pilates class. The instructor never showed up.
I was bumming.

There was a guy there at the gym in his 40s, kinda pot-bellied, trying to pick up all the young women. Really started to make me crazy. There was a young woman on the leg extension machine and I was on the other one and he came over to me and said "are you nearly done?" and I said no I wasn't. he was such a sleaze I was ready to implode. I realized what he was doing because he was on whatever machines were near a young shapely woman or two (and all of them in their 20s). He had no real workout plan, it was random and the amt of sets depended on what the women were doing. He talked to all of them. Then I was on the vertical leg press and the woman next to me was having trouble with hers and I was about to give her a pointer and he comes sprinting across the gym (talk about a scope!) and helps her. I said "Oh brother" out loud and he looked at me. THEN I go past the ab thingys and there he is giving INSTRUCTION to the same woman on how to get a burn on your abs. Not that he looked like he knew. I went by and gave him a long dirty look and he was almost startled to see me (like I was following him) and he then gave me a dirty look.

How to make friends and influence people.

Well, I had a good workout and I wonder how many calories are burned when your blood is boiling!

How is everyone doing?
Susan
Old 04-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #3  
Mel

Default sunday

Susanje-I'm sure working out with boiling blood gives you an added intensity boost. Your own version of thermogenics! You had me laughing altho I can understand how pissed you must have been. BTW, good description of BFL.

The more posts I read, the more I realize how lucky I am that I have the luxury of going to the gym at an off time, when there are pretty much only serious muscle heads there. Everyone pretty much shuts up and works out, and there's not much posturing or showing off. I did have 1 very young hunk (probably young enough to be my son if I'd started very early) offer to spot me on dumbell incline presses on Friday between his sets of curls. I was trying to add another 5 lbs, and could barely get the 30 pounders off my lap. He was just being nice, and I really appreciated the help. There is 1 older (mid 60's) man who I avoid like the plague because he never shuts up, and is dangerously swinging and flinging weights around. I figure he'll get hurt soon enough and be gone. I don't know about other times of the day, but from what I've seen I usually the only woman in there using free weights and heavy metal, and most of the regulars just ignore me now that they've gotten over trying to unrack the bars for me, then watch me put as much or more weight back on.

I couldn't get free day and rest day to match up this weekend- I knew that I couldn't hold out at the lacrosse tailgate party in the afternoon, and then at a hockey game at night. I bought a hot sausage at the hockey game, but only had 2 bites. Very disappointing, it tasted like a tube of crisco flavored with tobasco sauce! Didn't even try it with the bun. We ended up going to the grocery store at 11 pm because I was so disappointed at free day, and bought a chunk of brie and some good bread. That plus a glass of wine, and a very short night's sleep- well, it's a good thing today is rest day!.

I feel like I had a really good W1 of C2. I'm sore, but not debilitated, and I can see my upper abs! I ate clean on rest week for the most part, went running 3 times, and came back feeling really psyched to tackle new challenges, and leaner. I know I lost a little lifting-wise, but not much. On to week 2!

Hope everybody had a good week-end,

mel
Old 04-07-2002, 07:23 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I hear ya Mel!

After being in Miami (which was GREAT for the most part) and having to go to a gym that didn't open until 6 am (late for me!) I value the fact that I live within walking distance of a terrific gym that's open 24 hours except on holidays...and most of us 'regulars' know each other by sight - there's not much interaction really, other than hello, how are ya. What I'd like to know is who the slobs are that come in before 4:00 am and leave dumbbells lying about instead of re-racking them. I try to pick up what I can but the 75's and up are just too much for me! I think whoever they are must be living at home still and are used to their MOMMIES picking up after them...

And I know whereof you speak regarding eating crap food on Free Day. Crisco with tabasco sauce, eh? At least it won't turn to fat on your body since there was no sugar included Just kidding of course - alluding to an earlier thread here on 3FC... couldn't resist the little dig!

Susan - ready to IMPLODE huh?? Sounds like that guy must have seen the John Travolta movie "Perfect" just one too many times (actually once is more than enough IMO). Luckily we don't get too many talkie folk, but just as annoying are those people who get on a popular cardio machine and go about .23 mile an hour whilst reading the newspaper and watching TV at the same time for an hour or so (ignoring the 30 minute time limit signs plastered all over the cardio areas). Then when they leave they don't wipe down the machine (since they didn't bring a towel but that's not such a big deal since they didn't break a sweat anyway) and leave the newspaper in bits strewn all over the place!!!

Is this our day to complain or what? Maybe it's mine.

Just got back from a walk, it was so nice out and Jim is at practice this afternoon, otherwise we'd probably be out and about for sure. Kitty is meowing for me to go sit on the sofa so he can curl up on my lap again - now he's suddenly a LAP CAT. Jim thinks it's because we were gone for a week!

BTW, I posted some photos at the L&S transformation gallery if you care to peek...later all. I must follow Sparky's command because, after all, he runs the household!
Old 04-07-2002, 07:39 PM   #5  

OMIGAWD
YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!

I went into the Transformation Gallery archives and looked at your beginning photos. AMAZING.

CONGRATS on a productive year.

Will you be doing a collage at some point? Please post here!!!

PLEASE PLEASE!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 09:52 PM   #6  

Smile I'll Second that OMIGAWD and raise ya!

Holy moly MrsJim - what can I say? I have to admit that I've gone back several times to look at your pics on L&S. Thank you so much for sharing them! You don't know what that does to inspire me. I mean PamB was my first motivator but it is sooo much different when you actually converse with someone who is going through such an awesome transformation in the moment. You must be soo proud of yourself. I just had to keep looking to see what I can accomplish. I think it hits me a little closer to home because I know that you started at a high weight too! Keep on keepin on!

On another note I just have to share a recipe with you girls that I found some time ago but only got around to trying last week. I just finished making another batch. I found it on a Yahoo BFL for Women Board - I lurk for recipes.

It's like a mousse type thing:

1 packet Sugar Free Jello - your favourite flavour
2 cups low/no fat cottage cheese
1 serving vanilla protein powder
1 can or 2 servings fresh fruit

Blend cottage cheese and protein powder together in blender or food processor to fine consistency. Boil one cup of water to dissolve jello. Slowly add jello to cottage cheese mixture and let blender run for 1 minute.

If your fruit is canned drain and rinse to get rid of excess sugars and divide between 4 containers (I use those glad throwaway things) I also used a full portion of carbs for each container.

Pour cottage cheese mixture evenly between containers. Chill for 4 hours or more.

This is sooo delicious! Last week I used orange jello with canned mandarin oranges and pineapple. This time I bought a frozen berry mixture and cherry jello - will be ready tomorrow. A really nice change from eating just cottage cheese. ENJOY!
Old 04-07-2002, 10:41 PM   #7  

I remember that recipe from BFL women on Yahoo (there was SO much activity on that, I couldn't keep up..they also have one for women with a lot of weight to lose). THANKS FOR POSTING IT AGAIN.

Yes, I find MrsJim to inspiration. I used to think about Pam's abs when I do my abs (I still do a lot of times) but I think of MrsJim too now. Today I was almost so skeeved out by the lecherous guy and also this other guy who was on the leg press before me was sweating ALL OVER IT...I almost left, but I did not. I went and did my abs and waited. I thought that MrsJim would most likely NOT leave the gym just because of the sweaty guy or the lech guy. So I stayed and had a GREAT workout.

Funny conversation last week at work: another intern is a young kid and he was eating an apple for lunch while I had DELICIOUS chicken, brown rice and broccoli. I said "Aren't you eating lunch?" and he waved the apple at me and said "This is lunch. I'm trying to lose weight." I said "That's not how to do it." He said "With fruit?" I said, no, you need protein. Later on he was digging around in the chocolate basket while I was having cottage cheese and apples. Hello. He was STARVING. I was not.

Successful diet? apples and chocolate? I think not. I was the one who was eating all day long and will lose fat.

That's funny, I was thinking today. I am so used to eating all day long, I go CRAZY when I'm not on schedule with my food. The days of starvation/deprivation are long over.

BFL. Gotta love it. And MrsJim got her fabu new look by EATING!!!
HA! For all the starving apple eaters, take a good look!

Susan
Old 04-07-2002, 11:24 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Wink YOU GUYS!!!!!

I am SO FLATTERED that you would find me inspiring!

One thing about really, TRULY losing the fat...and losing it for GOOD...is that it really makes me want to help others...to help them see that it is NOT hopeless. I still vividly remember at 265 thinking how impossible it seemed to even think of being a size 12...imagining a size four would have been beyond me...

That Jello recipe sounds delish! I am definitely going to have to make that very soon. Not really on my comp diet but Jim would probably enjoy it. I've pretty much got him eating BFL style (except when he's out - he had practice today and said he had a cheeseburger and shake but no fries). His dinner tonight was ahi tuna steak, couscous and steamed broccoli, with lemon wedges. He loved it!

I'd probably use frozen fruit rather than canned, tastes better to me...and I have a lot of it. Strawberries, blueberries, mixed berries, mango and even frozen pineapple...I love Trader Joes (just hate their lonnnnnng checkout lines...).

Well, gotta go, I PROMISED Jim he could get on the 'net. Night all!
Old 04-08-2002, 10:10 PM   #9  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Default Still here...

Hi all....

Had my computer die out on me....and had to get things checked out....seems like I have been away forever....

I am happy to state.......that I completed challenge one......YEAH for me......*whispers*......I have lost a total of 18.5"....head to toe....I am in 7th heaven

today was my first day on my free week......and I have to tell you I am so use to eating properly........I forgot......L.....

I finally had to join I gym......I knew I would have to.......I out grew the weights I had for my lower body.......

so I will start next Monday when I start my new challenge....

I feel so good and this is the best thing I could have ever done for myself....

I hope to get back into the swing of things here and at L&S...

I missed the interacting.....

talk soon.......right now.......I have a splitting headache.......it has been one of those days at work.....

Kelly...
Old 04-09-2002, 08:39 AM   #10  

OH MY Kelster! Those are WONDERFUL results!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT job!!!!!

I can't believe it has been 12 weeks since you said you were joining us on this thread and starting a challenge. Because I've gotten mail from others who have said the same thing but didn't do it, I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

BUT YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah for you!!! I hope you are feeling and looking fabulous. You must have worked very very hard to post those kinds of numbers!!!

I'm so glad you're here, I'm so glad you stayed and did a challenge and I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you have had great success. CONGRATS on a job well done.

Susan
Old 04-09-2002, 08:49 AM   #11  

Quick checkin before I get ready for work: yesterday I was so bloated. I'm in my progesterone part of the cycle (day 8). I have struggled with progesterone for years and this is about the 5th kind I"m on. I'm supposed to be taking a low dose of a very natural progesterone but it still bloats me and makes me weepy. I HATE THAT! Yesterday my pants were so tight and that is discouraging when you are working this hard. Last night a friend stopped for a burrito after a looooooooooooooooooooooooong day at school (it was almost 10 and I had been there since 10 that morning). She asked me if I wanted one and this place has THE best burrittos in the world. In spite of my discouraged self and the fact that it was late, I was tired and hungry, I said no and waited until I got home to have an MRP. It was sooooooooooo hard to do that but I kept saying to myself "Even though I feel like a bloated weeble, Body for Life works." I had a work out in the morning, ate clean all day and felt like I weighed 500 lbs. Tough to do but I made it through. I'm cooking my food now and will pack it for the day. Thanks for listening.
susan
Old 04-09-2002, 01:24 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Good Morning all!

Feelin' so good today...really punchy for some reason (to me, 'punchy' is GOOD - more like sassy).

Had a GREAT back/bi workout. I was actually inspired by my own progress photo of my back - Jim kept saying he was seeing muscles pop out there, but I didn't believe him until I saw the pix. The back is probably my LEAST favorite bodypart to work - probably because I can't SEE it while I'm working it. Today I just put a lot of gusto into it - also added hyperextensions for the lower back.

Susanje - I HATE feeling bloated - usually feel that way on Mondays (post-Free Day). I'm going to have to start cutting out Free Days soon, but man, is it tough. Right now I'm doing half-Free Days. I look forward to Free Day so much but I know to get in competition shape they just don't work...

Good for you not having a burrito (one of my fave Free Day foods actually). What I tell myself when I want one on a non-Free Day is - well, Pancho Villa's Taqueria will be open on Sunday and THEN I can have a burrito if I want it...this generally works for me.

KEL! You are just on fire, girlfriend!!! I feel like Susan - it sure as heck doesn't SEEM like it's been 12 whole weeks! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? (and I'm serious - to me this is great fun - even the back workouts ). I bet you'll LOVE going to a gym now that you're way into this whole bodybuilding thing. I actually get a charge out of being around other folks who are interested in weight lifting (though there is a fair share of the people who seem to be more interested in reading their newspaper and chatting - most of us AM folks are pretty serious).

Oh, one more thing - thanks all for sticking up for me on that "Mayo Diet Clinic" thread... like I've always said, I just want to help others...and part of that is making sure that they get the RIGHT info about nutrition...

Later all!
Old 04-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #13  
Mel

Default Tuesday

Congratulations Kelster! I wondered where you had been, didn't see you on L&S anymore, either. Great results! Pictures????

Susanje-WTG on not giving in on the burrito and exhaustion. You continue to inspire me with your tenaciousness in spite of many obstacles. You are truly an example of "never say can't".

My gym just posted a flyer for an iron man and woman contest at the beginning of May. Think I should try it? I figure I'll be a shoe-in in the over 45 category since I haven't seen any other women over 45 lifting anything heavier than 10 lbs, but I don't know about the overall women. Also, I see a very small slice of gym life, since I'm usually only there in the afternoons. Guess I'll have to go lurking at various times of day to check out the competition and see if I want to try it. Right now I'm so sore from yesterday's new addition to LBWO that I'm not sure I can hobble in on my own steam. I added 120 steps of walking lunges with an 18 lb bar over my shoulders and geez my butt hurts! I thought that was a quad and ham exercise!

Off to run errands, then bi's and tri's at the gym. MrsJim- I'm not so sure I like that combo either. May have to rethink my workout schedule.

mel
Old 04-09-2002, 04:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default well you miss a couple of days and....

it takes an hour to read all the posts!

The last four days have not been good, mainly due to having put my focus on to other things. I haven't managed to eat clean since friday (mainly due to lack of planning) and I'm still completely committed to the programme, but I just have to get my focus back. Like yesterday I was going to go to the gym when DH got home from work (I still have all three kids home) and then I completely forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER forgotton before! Thats what I mean about focus! I'm soooo busy at the moment - and I can't wait to get the kids back to school so I can go at 9am like I usually do.

Anyway - I have to run, but just wanted to say congrats Kel on the results - I'm hoping for the same in 2.5 weeks time!

Carly
Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 PM   #15  

WOW Kelster that is incredible - you must be soooo pleased with yourself. I had been wondering where you had disappeared to - sounds like you literally did disappear LOL!

Susanje - aren't hormones a b#@tch! You are so inspiring as to how you are able to stick to your guns despite everything going on around you. Your focus is amazing. You are going to make a fine lawyer!

I find myself a little anxious the last couple of days wondering what my results are going to be at the end of C1. The reason being is if I go by the pantsometer (L&S term?) there has not been much change. The waist still fits me like when I first started but the bum and the legs are really really baggy. Can't buy another pair because then they would be too tight at the waist! Other than that I don't see any other changes except for alot of increased muscle - but I guess that is change in itself right?

I don't know why I am feeling anxious all of a sudden. My energy level remains high and I feel stronger and more alive than ever. Maybe I'm just letting some residual scale/weight/measurements obsession surface. Oh yeah - just remembered that I upped the speed on my treadmill again today. So that is a measureable success of a different kind.

Still committed and determined to finish this challenge and move on to others. Finishing was my main goal as I doubted initially that I could even do that and here I am in W10!
Closed Thread