3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Shouldn't I be sore? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/149889-shouldnt-i-sore.html)

RoyalAthena 08-23-2008 06:44 PM

Shouldn't I be sore?

Hey all!

I have begun a new weight lifting / toning program. While I love Turbo Jam cardio, I am not sure if the toning portion is enough for me. I like it alot BUT I don't have that soreness the next day. I expect to have that light stiff feeling when I have a good weight lifting workout. I was using 3lb weights and now using 5lbs so I can "feel the burn" . Anyway, I can feel a little more definition in my arms when I flex and I can feel the soreness in my bum. But I want proof (soreness) in my abs and thighs. She does squats, lunges and pilates but I dont feel anything in my inner thighs. I would love to find a workout that is effective but also fun with great music and teacher (like her!). Help me please. Thanks for any suggestions!

PhotoChick 08-23-2008 06:55 PM

Well ... don't get me started on "toning" as a concept. :)

The bottom line is that ultimately lifting 3 and 5 lb weights are not going to do anything for you in the long run. If you want that good muscle soreness and to really build strength, you're going to have to lift heavier. Lots heavier.

Ideally you should be lifting enough weight that you can complete about 3 sets of 10 or so (the numbers tend to vary depending on who you speak to - some people go for 4 sets of 8, some for 3 sets of 12, etc.), but just barely complete them. If you can power thru 3 sets of 10 of anything and not be struggling at the end of the 3rd set, then you're not lifting heavy enough to be doing your muscles any good.

So maybe if you like her style, then just push the workout up to the next level by using more weight ... when you squat and lunge, add weights either with dumbells or a medicine ball or kettle bells, something like that. When you do crunches, hold a medicine ball to your chest.

Anything to up the weight and resistance will help you build that muscular "toned" look.

Lydia227 08-24-2008 09:55 AM

Hi Ann,

How long have you been doing the Turbo Jam Cardio? I ask this because our bodies goal is to become efficient to a routine. If you have been doing this same routine for more than four or five consecutive weeks it could be that your body has made the strength adaptations necessary to efficiently execute the moves. That means there is no new changes/stresses to the body which is felt by us as the soreness your referred to in your message. Basically, you may just be really good at this routine. :hug:

The other thing I noticed is that the name of the routine is Turbo Jam CARDIO. This would imply that the focus of the routine is to get your heart rate up for an extended period of time. Cardio is very important in our exercise routines but is a different animal from strength or lifting. By the way, our bodies can also become efficient if we continue to do the same cardio session for an extended period of tiime.

Bottom line is that if you wish to feel the muscle soreness that feels like a "reward" for a challenging workout then you will want to incorporate a strength training routine into your fitness rotation. You may wish to visit this site for an introduction of ideas if you have not already explored this area

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Exploring the areas of strength training takes a little commitment but I promise you the rewards are 100 fold. ;)

Good luck with your goals

nelie 08-24-2008 10:31 AM

If you want exercise videos that use weights, I'd recommend The Firm workouts. I've enjoyed many of their workouts. The warning would be that many of the workouts are still really considered cardio but I've used up to 20 lb dumbbells doing some portions of the workouts in the past. Some go slow enough to use decently heavy weights while others go too fast to use heavier weights.

Collage video is a great place to look to review exercise videos, even if you don't buy from them. (website is collagevideo.com)

If you want to do 'real' weight training though, there is no video that I know that would cover that.

Although I'd put in a plug for kettlebells, you can get a good weight and cardio workout with them and there are a few videos that cover them.