Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #61  
Mel

Lyda and Meg, thanks! DD and I have been doing a lot of deadlifts to get ready for the move. This is the first time since she was 16 that she is boyfriend-less. Figures!

My boss is teaching at the conference at Bucknell. He tells me that he's heard they have a great gym, not that he's ever seen the inside I offered to train him if he'll go easy on my aged brain. The food worries me more.

Today I did a whole 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Abs and goofy balance exercises at lunch.

Lydia- DD sent me pictures of one of her friends (not one of the smarter ones) being rescued out of his car that were on the 11 o'clock news. The water was up to the windows. Be careful out there!

Denverchick- So how much can you squat?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #62  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, LWL! I'm up with the birds this morning to get some "me" time, and I thought I'd spend some of it with you. DH, The Boy, and I are going on a field trip today with a geologist from one of the local museums to hunt for fossils. There are a lot of fossils around here, but these are evidently extra special fossils, because they're an hour and a half away. (Well, I assume there's something else about them, besides their distance, that makes them special. )

Made it to the gym after all yesterday. Wasn't my best day, liftwise, because it was Too Hot, but I'm still glad I went.

Pat -- I'm sooo jealous! We used to do a Chitina fishing run every year. Of course, back then I didn't know how special it was, and groaned endlessly about the drive, the sand, the wind, the mosquitos, the cramped and usually damp tent ... and the prospects of eating all that salmon. (It's a miracle my parents didn't just leave me there!) Now, some twenty ahem years later, I stand at the fish aisle and groan (silently) at the outrageous cost of tasteless, color-enhanced salmon!

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #63  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Let me just say *#@%*!! I cut my index finger deep and right across the knuckle. I'll be off any kind of exercise for a few days, till I'm sure it's closed up for good. Frustrating, since I just got going again, after having to take off for my knee. DS and I had a good laugh, though, trying to imagine me doing squats with just one hand gripping the bar...swing,,,crash...lol.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
DS and I had a good laugh, though, trying to imagine me doing squats with just one hand gripping the bar...swing,,,crash...lol.
There's always Zercher Squats. No hands gripping the bar.
One arm overhead dumbell squats
Unweighted single-leg squats

There's ALWAYS a way to squat!

Doesn't mean you always have to though. Hope you feel better soon. Heal up then get back to it.

Last edited by Depalma; 06-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Morning all! Rabbit and Lydia, love all this DIY talk.
[/URL]
Not me! DIY Phobia here!

This did inspire me to wear my Homer Simpson DDIY (DON'T Do It Yourself) T-shirt to the gym today.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #66  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl that sounds yucky. No stitches though right?

Yesterday was an excellent workout. 45 minutes of cardio, 45 minutes of lifting, ten more minutes of cardio followed by 15 minutes of core and stretching. I was without my sons so I could spend all the time I wanted getting it all in. : I showered, had the protein drink in my car and then went shopping. I returned one swimsuit, the quest continues, but found two activewear skorts and two pairs of sandles. AND everything was on sale. Later in the afternoon we took the boys to see Kung Fu Panda I know but I was able to rest for a while in the dark before dinner. Here's something I've discovered, four year olds have bottomless tummies when it comes to ice cream. Really, he ate all four scoops by himself. DS1 had the good sense to stop less than halfway through. I'm going to have to watch that little guy. He's a beast. Or, sit next to the older one if I am anticipating any leftovers.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote