3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   BodyPUMP at Lynne Brick's? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/143034-bodypump-lynne-bricks.html)

yoyomadness 05-22-2008 12:08 PM

BodyPUMP at Lynne Brick's?

Has anyone taken this class, or a class like it? Do you think it would be a good introduction to lifting?

BODYPUMP®“The fastest way in the universe to get in
shape!”The complete athletic workout that works every major
muscle group in the body.BODYPUMP® strengthens, conditions,
tones, and defines your muscles.BODYPUMP® it is ideal for
beginners to experienced exercisers. It is NOT an aerobics class,
it’s a weights workout for the group exercise studio.

nelie 05-22-2008 12:26 PM

I've taken a class like it, don't know if it was Body Pump exactly. I think it is meant to be an aerobic weight workout (or am I wrong?). I thought it was interesting but didn't like it as much as my normal weight workouts.

Personally, I don't think a group workout with weights would be a good introduction to lifting. I mean you might be lifting weights and you do get to watch someone elses form but if you are totally new to weight lifting, I recommend getting a personal training session or 2. Weights are great thing but can cause injury if done improperly.

Marathon Mom 05-22-2008 12:35 PM

I have done Body Pump / Group Power - this was the work out that opened my eyes to how muscle tone changed the shape of my body....

I am tall and have an athletic build. Body Pump introduced me to weight training and helped me minimize thighs/legs while balancing my body with more shoulder work outs.

I'm a fan!

ladybugnessa 05-22-2008 12:49 PM

I've done BodyPump. I liked it.... my doctor does not want me free lifting due to ankle problems so I stopped.

Switzie6 05-22-2008 01:47 PM

I take it once a week at my gym and really like it. If it's the same one we do it is part of the Les Mils group of classes. My gym offers all of them and I enjoy them. BodyPump is good for new people to strength training as well as people who have been doing it for a while. You pick your weights and adjust as you go, at my gym before each music track they go over the recommended weights for that section. You have a bar which you put weights on each end of for the exercises. There is a track for each muscle group (squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, and core). I say give it a try.

lalala123 05-22-2008 01:47 PM

I did it once - afterwards I couldn't walk normally and most of my muscles (but especially my legs) hurt for 5 - 6 days. I loved it! :D
Mind, I'm a beginner and I overdid it, I overestimated myself. But I'm planning on going to another bodypump class this weekend.

yoyomadness 05-22-2008 02:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm excited!

I joined a ladies fitness center 2 months ago and signed a year-long contract. I wanted a place with no men -- I was intimidated by a 'real' gym. The center is a sort of renegade Curves -- it has the circuit, but it also has classes.

The classes there aren't very good, though -- they're almost all cardio and all the cardio classes use steps, which I hate. The yogalates-type of classes are okay, but inconvenient. The circuit machines weren't for me, either. But I did get in the habit of using the treadmill, and I've come to really enjoy that.

But I really want to lift! So I'm going to Brick's today and getting a 2-wk trial. If I like it, I'll sign up. I hate to waste the money that the ladies fitness center is getting from me for 10 more months, but I figure it's worth, and besides, if someone had said to me, "Would you pay $480 to lose 16 lbs and learn to enjoy exercising again?" I would have written them a check on the spot.

The Brick membership comes with 3 free sessions with a personal trainer, which I cannot wait to do!

Lydia227 05-22-2008 02:35 PM

Hi YoYo, :wave:

I love to lift. I do it in a gym with dumbells, barbells, levers, and cables. (It isn't however an iron pit.) However, there were a lot of steps that I took before I ever reached this point. Its all about taking steps that make you comfortable but keep moving forward. Once you master what you have been exposed to it is time for a new challenge that excites you. If you want to take the BodyPump, take it. You will certainly learn something new that will carry over to the next goal for yourself.

I do agree with Nelie in that form is really important in lifting. A class could be good in that you can watch an instructor's form, there should also be a mirror so you can see your own. Hopefully the instructor may also be skilled in correcting the participants' form as well. I wouldn't rely upon them though.

After your first class make a note of the different exercises that were executed. Google them for several videos for correct form and then practice.
You may also want to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions to help you feel comfortable in the free weight area.

There are so many tools available toward fitness and all the steps that take you there will count. Just go with what is available and interests you at that time and keep moving along.

As an aside, I've never taken a BodyPump class. (cringe) I just don't like classes in general. Too many weird experiences with the "find a buddy" classes from the past. :rolleyes: I kind of like to set my own goals instead of following someone else's lead. I did just meet someone this afternoon who takes one three times a week and loves it. Physically, she looks pretty fit. It's all about doing what you love.

WaterRat 05-22-2008 03:26 PM

I've taken some bodypump classes, til my gym swapped them to a time I couldn't make. I found that there was much more leg work (think squats and lunges) than upper body, which is fine with me since I just did another workout for upper body stuff. I enjoyed the class a lot, the instructor was really good at keeping us going without the :drill: attitude. Between her and the music, it was a great sweaty 75 minutes! :)

yoyomadness 05-22-2008 08:50 PM

Well, I signed up (with a 2-week window to get my money back if I don't like it) and also bought 3 sessions with PT, which is on top of the 3 that come with the membership. So I should be in PT heaven this month.

I'm off work till July due to a class being canceled (I'm a college instructor), so I plan to devote the time to fitness. I hope to make as much progress as possible in the next 5+ weeks.

There are some women in the gym who are working toward competitive lifting, so that should be pretty inspiring.

Yay! I'm gonna lift big iron things and be strong like bull! I can't wait to see how much progress I can make.

elisa822 05-22-2008 09:36 PM

Okay, I'm late to the party but still wanted to say that I love the Body Pump classes. They should all be the same wherever you go, they're a licensed class. Group Power is a different name for the same type of class from a different company.

I think they're a great introduction to lifting and, if you're lucky enough to have a good instructor, they'll be able to watch and correct your form if you tell them you're new. Some people outgrow them, some people use them as their whole lifting, going two or three times a week.

I don't think I've outgrown them, I think they're still a solid workout but I like to use them as just another way to get in some lifting and not get bored.

Unlike Lydia, I like classes ;) but that's mostly because without them, I'm likely to get bored and quit my session too soon.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

:D

sportmom 05-22-2008 10:18 PM

Elisa, what is your new avatar? I can't make it out.

ladybugnessa 05-22-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportmom (Post 2213944)
Elisa, what is your new avatar? I can't make it out.

I know it's Cafe Du Monde (in New Orleans) Beignets and coffee!