Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 10:19 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Body for Life #44

A new week, a new thread!!!

Everyone is doing well!!!

Claire: I did the backward Smith machine thing too in the beginning so don't worry! I also have seen pictures of it done both ways. I noticed, about 4 weeks into using it, that there was a picture on it telling you to face the other way. ooops... I really didn't like the suggested way either. I liked doing squats looking out at the gym, NOT looking in the mirror!!

Before Pilates class, I sat on the abductor/adductor machine because that area of the gym was empty and it was a good place to sit down...so I was sitting there and played with the weight stack and then I did some exercises. I gave this machine up last year when some folks at L&S said they didn't think it did anything but yesterday I felt a definite pull in both my outer and inner thighs (and I was only screwing around waiting for class to begin not really working the machine hard)...so I was thinking that even if it doesn't build muscles, it must do something because I felt it and even if it's just a stretch, its a good one. I'm thinking of putting this machine back into my LBWO because those two areas are just so stubborn in spite of the millions of leg presses I do. So that was interesting.

Well, I dd my Pilates/Yoga yesterday and then had an MRP even though it was free day. Then about a hour or so later I had a bagel. Okay make that 2 bagels. Then I had some GS cookies (they don't taste as good when you're not diving into the bag). Later I went out to Indian food with a friend of mine...that was DELICIOUS...but hard on the gullet. I wolfed the food......but it tasted so good!!! Then I came home and ate some more GS cookies. Again, they just didn't taste as good and I wanted (GET THIS) an ORANGE.

So I ate an orange. Unbalanced by anything. To me, that's a free day freebie. Fruit without protein.

I am also looking forward to chicken and veggies today too. That free day stuff just kills!!!!!!!!!!!

How is everyone doing? Survive free day????????
Susan
Old 03-11-2002, 01:07 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Survive free day? Barely...

Had a burrito and split an order of nachos with Jim at around 2:00 pm...followed up with some ice cream...

And WHAM it hit me in the gut big time. I was just hoping I wouldn't toss my cookies!

Susan - you do the same thing I do - I'm always wanting carbs on Free Day - but they never taste as good as you think they are going to be, huh? We did the GS Cookie Thang last week.

I was asleep last night by 7 pm believe it or not...it's funny - I've eaten a heckuva lot more on previous Free Days but this one just hit me (nope, wasn't food poisoning - Jim's was fine - it was just too much food). Probably due to being on Pam's nutrition program - not used to all those carbs now!

So YES it does feel wonderful to get back to eating clean today (even though I have to eat 2 cups of broccoli at lunch...and I am NOT a big broccoli fan unless it's in a stir fry).

I have my last personal training session tonight after work. Theresa doesn't know it's my last one, but I've gotta start watching the $$ a bit closer - Jim and I owe the IRS again this year but at least it's less than last year and actually I want to start taking two riding lessons a week in May if I can swing it!

I took 3-week progress pix and sent them to Pam this weekend at her request. Just out of curiosity, I put them next to each other and I could TOTALLY see a difference! Pam was pretty impressed too - and so was Jim.

But being in competition shape by first weekend of May might be asking a bit much...I should probably shoot for the one in July - but I do want to go to the May contest just to see how everything works. I've only seen contests on TV and they don't show the prejudging, etc. and I feel it's important for me to get a feel for the whole thing.

Anyway I was thrilled to see a bit of quad definition coming out (finally - remember that fat on my hips and thighs has been there for 30 years - first on, last off) and even a wee bit of abs!

Don't worry, I will be posting those photos eventually...in sort of a progressive montage of sorts...

I am working VERY hard and I'm stoked! The weather's gorgeous today and that always makes me feel great - our Miami trip is in less than two weeks - can't wait to be in the tropics...I am planning on taking two free meals that week, but I've found a decent-sounding gym around the corner from our hotel and will be going there every morning!

Let's hear from the rest of y'all! how's it going?
Old 03-11-2002, 02:08 PM   #3  

Default Another Survivor of Freeday

Hi everyone! I can't believe that I'm starting Week 6 already! I am so happy - I knew that I could do this but there is always that little bit of doubt. I was soooo hungry T-F-S of last week. This is the first time I've felt like this since I started. I've always had to make an effort to eat the 6 meals - now I can tell you what time of day it is based on my rumbling tummy. I've been reading on L&S that it might be due to muscle growth - yippee. So far I'm doing Ok with hunger today - but it is the day after free day! For me I crave potatoe chips and carbs towards the end of the week. If I could eat potatoe chips once a week for the rest of my life I would be a happy girl (wait a minute - I can!) Although I could forego the gut ache that goes with it.

Bought some glutamine today to prepare for tomorrow (did squats and deadlifts again this am). The soreness didn't really hit me last week until the day after - today they are just rubbery.

I had a "moment" this weekend while walking by a mirror. It puzzled me that the body I saw is not the body that I have in my thought processes on a daily basis. I realized that I am starting to think like an athlete and what I saw is not matching - but I know it will catch up!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:09 PM   #4  

Question

Hey Everyone,

I've been a lurker for some time and have finally decided to do my first challenge. Just a couple of questions:

How essential is it to do the workouts in the mornings? I understand the cardio in the morning, but how about the weight training? I have to get up at 5:00am as it is, I can't imagine waking any earlier.

Does anyone have a copy of the exercise video? Or where I can get a copy? I want to make sure I do the exercises correctly.

Do you think there is a difference vs home dumbbell workout or gym workout?

Thank you. This site is fantastic.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default hi gals

hope everyone is feeling okay after free day, and back into it with enthusiasm today.

Sunspot - welcome to the board - congratulations on deciding to take the challenge - I am in week 6 of my first challenge - and LOVING it. If you go to the body for life web page they have video demonstrations of the exercises on line which you can look at when you like. I let someone else more experienced answer your other questions.

I have tweaked Pams blueberry pancake recipe slightly and it works great. I now put in 10 egg whites (instead of 6) and make it two servings (instead of 1). This gives each serve 20gms each of protein and carbs approx. Which works a lot better for BFL than the original recipe. you all should try it - its yumm!

I have decided to add Oxycise into my programme as it worked well for me before except that I was still eating compulsively and ruining everything I did in the exercise front. Now that my eating (and workouts) are good I know Oxycise will add a boost to my weight loss without overworking my muscles. (did that make sense?)

have to fly - a tonne of work to do and still a cardio workout to fit in) see ya
Carly

P.s. Does anyone have a recipe for making whole wheat tortillas at home. We only get white flour ones here and I figure they must be reasonably easy to make? (I can hear the laughter from here!)
Old 03-11-2002, 03:47 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Welcome Sunspot!

Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Have you read the book yet? It's essential to read the book before starting BFL. (not to offend, but you'd be amazed at how many people see the program outlined on the Web or in a magazine article - start and then stop - because they haven't read the book and gotten the full flavor of the program).

As far as morning vs. evening workouts. I'm an early bird myself - but the important thing is that you DO the workouts. If mornings don't work for you, then whenever. I wake up at 4:00-4:15 am (sometimes earlier depending on the kitty) and am usually in the gym by around 4:30 - 4:45 am. I know it sounds crazy but I've been doing that for years - I like having a quiet gym compared to the after-work rush and I'm accustomed to it.

There is no BFL workout video - but like carps said, go to the www.bodyforlife.com website and there are demo videos there. You can also check some other strength-training books for further info. The exercises shown in the BFL book are pretty standard weight-training exercises - but they WORK.

And check this out: http://www.stumptuous.com/dorkdiva.html for some illustrations on how to - and how NOT to - do some exercises "From Dork to Diva".

Carps - I don't have a tortilla recipe but did you try ordering from Netrition? They have those awesomely good La Tortilla Low-carb, high-protein whole wheat tortillas. You MUST try them!!!

Gotta run...
Old 03-11-2002, 05:10 PM   #7  

Default nearing the end of the endless challenge....

C1 lasted sixteen weeks for me, with lots of health issues and other problems. But the last three weeks have been great. I've been at the gym 5-6 days a week and after receiving some physical therapy, even my shoulder/neck problem has improved.

I'm having my BF% tested this week. It will give me a starting point for C2, beginning 3/25. And I've got a list of gyms to visit while I'm in North Carolina! Even though I'll be on "free time" I'm not going to miss the opportunity.

I'm already planning some changes for that one but I will definitely be splitting up my "parts" so that I can work more intensively.

Too many folks to say individual hellos to, but welcome to all the newcomers. Mrs.Jim we'll all be rooting for you when you do compete!

C1 countdown, five more days...
Old 03-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #8  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Default Hello

Sunspot

Hello and welcome......to answer some of your questions....I will first let you know I am in my first challenge......started Week 8 today.......I work out in the evenings......all my workouts......and I workout at home.........and I am having wonderful results......I usually do my workouts in the evening a bit after I come home from work.......I love it because it gets rid of my days stress and I feel wonderful....

So it is possible to do the workouts in the evenings and at home.....but I will let you know what I have found........I have gone up very quickly in my LBWO......and I know I am out growing what I have at home to do my workouts.......now for me to make a decision......do I buy more weights for at home.....or do I join a gym.......I haven't decided yet........but that is one dilemma....

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME aboard!!!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:20 PM   #9  
Mel

Default Monday

Hi y'all- very tired here after too many late nights and food related social events this weekends. Kept it to 2 free meals, but they were doozies. Felt great to eat clean yesterday, but I think it's gonna take a few days to clean out the system. Did a shoulders, tri-bi and abs workout today and had to keep reminding myself on every rep of every set " this one is better than the last...". Easier said than done. I can't beleive I'm in week 10. Unfortunatly(BFL-wise), my son and I are going to Florida for a few days vacation Mon-Thurs. of week 12, so I may make this an 11 week challenge, and take that as my free week, then start c2 the following week. Bad timing, but this is Body for Life, not just 12 weeks, and I refuse to feel bad about it! Will just have to push even harder in weeks 10 and 11, then hit c2 with all I've got.

Sunspot- Hello! I do my cardio in the morning at home, but all my weight days at a gym in the late afternoons. I know it's not by the book, but it seems to work for me and IMO, we all have to make it fit into out lives in a way that we can stick with it. Not everybody is single, or childless, or a morning person. As for gym vs. home, I very quickly outgrew my home equipment for LBWO and would have had to buy more dumbells for UPB. When I got to the point that I could squat more than I could safely get into my shoulders without a spotter, I knew it was time to join a gym. And I like the atmosphere- it makes me work harder.

Susanje- I added the abd/add machine a few weeks ago and have been steadily upping the weights and really notice a change in the long interior muscle of my quad- much harder and leaner looking. Aside from the standing calve machine and the first time I did walking lunges, that was the only addition that made me so sore I could barely walk the next day- so I'm SURE it's doing something. Didn't know there was any dissension about it on l & s.

MrsJim- IKNOW we can't spot reduce- but why oh why is my waist getting bigger? I've had to work like crazy to add 1/2" to my calves, but my waist is now 1" bigger than when I started, despit e about a 6% drop in body fat. NOT GOOD! Any suggestions?

time to make dinner (oops, I mean meal 5)

mel
Old 03-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mel - my personal opinion - cos my waist has been changing too over the past almost-year - getting bigger before it gets smaller. Anyway, I'm no doctor, but MY opinion is this is a GOOD sign - kind of like the 'jiggly fat' right before it goes away, it gets looser, ya know? That's actually happening in my thigh/hip/pooch section right now...

Bodyfat doesn't just stay in one place - it's systemic, kind of like blood - from what I've read. My theory is though if the bodyfat has been packed in there for awhile it gets 'hardened' and sets (this is what I'm thinking about my thighs) kinda like glue. So when you start losing bodyfat, the soft new stuff comes right off - it's that old hardened crap that takes a bit more work. Kind of like cleaning an oven by hand is my analogy - the new grease and grime just kind of wipes right off, but then you really have to dig, scrape, work at the stuff that's been there for years. After it's loosened up, you spray it with some liquid cleaner and wipe it away - the way Pam says water works - like a dustpan that washes away the loose fat.

Okay, that was no scientific theory by any stretch of the imagination, but it helps me!

Hope that helped you a bit...
Old 03-12-2002, 01:30 AM   #11  

Welcome Sunspot!!!

I do my workouts in the morning when I can. For cardio I usually always try to do my workouts in the morning. Weights vary.

I work out at home but also have a gym membership. I can't seem to duplicate a leg press at home and if I could find a good one for home use, I would be all set. I have powerblocks, a swiss ball, an elliptical trainer and this week I'm getting resistance bands. I also go to the gym for Pilates/yoga but you can do that at home too (not part of BFL, it's what I use for STRETCHING).

As you may have picked up, going by the book is recommended for your first challenge so you really can see how the program works.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions!!!

Glad you're here!
Susan
Old 03-12-2002, 01:39 AM   #12  

Thunderheart: I know the feeling about walking past the mirror...I have the same experience!!! Like I feel lean and mean...and the image is not there yet. Soon!

Lisa: CONGRATS on your C1 ending and starting to plan C2!!! Don't think of it as taking longer to finish but give yourself credit for finishing!!!

Kelster! Week8???????????? WOW.

Mel: thanks for the feedback on the ab/ad machine

Carly: I did oxycise once upon a time...did you like it? I had the commuter tape and did it in my car but I don't know where it is now.

MrsJim: you do sound like you are working hard. You go girl! When will we see the pix??? I do so want one of you over 200 lbs to lead the montage....

off to sleep...court in the morning.....yawn!!
Old 03-12-2002, 03:53 AM   #13  

Default jealous...

susanje - I have to admit to feeling rather envious that you have an elliptical trainer at home! - I would LOVE one of those - its my favourite even though it nearly kills me every time I get on it!
Also love the powerblocks - although I quite like going to the gym for my weights workout - just wish I could do that cardio at home - it would be sooooooooo much easier!

Oxycise - yes I really like it in that it actually works even though you feel like a dork because it seems so ridiculous that heavy breathing for 15 mintues could actually do anything. (I lost 3 inches off each thigh in one month).
The reason I stopped was because I got a bit bored with it (I'm one of those that loves to work hard and break a sweat) and also I just sometimes couldn't talk myself into believing that it worked because it is SOOO easy. But now that I have other exercise to keep me entertained Oxycise will be a great addition. Kind of like your yoga/pilates.

catch up with you all tomorrow - its about 10pm and I have to go and organise my husbands breakfast (he starts work at 4am) hmmm.... what to have.... yet another omelet?

Carly
Old 03-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #14  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Susan

I know can you believe it in my 8th week just seems like last week I was looking at your transfromation pics and going to buy the book..........and now here I am stronger and feeling better then I have in a very long time.........I am still amazed......I am so glad I found this place......

I might add I had been on some other threads........and it is nice to talk to people that are going through the same thing as you are but..........when you can find a thread where everyone is following the same plan..........it seems a bond is formed there and that you know exactly what the other is going through........or is that just me.........

I can only imagine what I will look like later this year......and this is the first year in a long time that I can't wait for my birthday...........I still have a ways to go..........and well a friend of mine that I haven't seen in about 2 yrs has invited me to her trailer in July..........wonder if she will notice.......

Well I do know it is showing my daughter has already commented that my legs look smaller.......now if only my hips would start to melt.........I know I know..........all in good time.......

The weight just seems to be coming off everywhere else except the hips.........and well now my pants fit me really strangely.....

Today it is LBWO for me.......I will be adding more weights......so i know I will be sore tomorrow.........I am still feeling the achiness from my UBWO 2 days ago.......but I can feel the muscles.......I mean really feel them there.........sooooo I don't mind.....

Well I hope everyone is having a great day.........this is my second day off........going to get my hair cut and do some groceries.........

back to work tomorrow...
Old 03-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #15  

Default increasing weights?

hi yall

I don't remember reading in the book how often we are supposed to increase weights. Can anyone help me. Is is every week? or month? or what?

thanks in advance
CArly
Closed Thread