Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Default The Roll Out

A year or two ago after reading both Mel and Chad Waterbury espouse the benefits of the ab wheel, I bought one and roll outs quickly became one of my favorite exercises.

Yesterday, for the first time since my surgery, I was able to put enough pressure on my chest to do these once again and the good soreness that I'm feeling today reminds just how great this exercise is.

For those who have never tried them, I highly recommend them. Another great thing about them is that there is a long line of progressions so that a rank beginner to an elite athlete can incorporate them in their programs.

Here is an excellent article by Mike Boyle on the rollout:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf..._core_training

This video, while focusing on the standing ab wheel, shows how to use the wall to help with the beginning progressions. This part can be utilized with the swiss ball roll out and the kneeling versions as well to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9I9qTY-ppc
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Congratulations on your progressive recovery Depalma! Glad to know you are doing well. I just recently added swiss ball rollouts to my program this month. It's one of my favorite core exercises as well. The ball is actually a little less of challenge than I thought it would be so I probably could progressive to the next level. Unfortunately that would mean purchasing my own ab wheel to bring to the gym with me. I could do them at home though instead, Anyway, thanks for the links and enjoy the roll outs.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on your strength!

You know, I wonder if those Magic Slider pads could be subbed for a wheel? You know those things that go under furniture so that you can move it easier? They have the larger pads in most sets that your whole palm could fit in.
I might have to dig and see if we got that size when we got our set.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

That's a very good idea Fiberlover. I bet those, with the exception of the exact shape are made pretty much like the Valslides, which would allow you to do a modification of slideboard lunges which is a great exercise too.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #5  
Mel

Glad you are enjoying it and are healed enough to use it, depalma! Be careful- if you already have a fairly strong core, pushing your limits can be a painful journey in muscle discovery. The day we had a trainer challenge with the wheel, I did 40 and my rear delts and lats were as sore as I ever remember ANY muscle being sore. Or worse.

Fiberlover- If you have a nice smooth floor, put your hands on towels and slide out. It also works if your hands are stationary and you take you shoes off, stand on the towels, and slide your feet out behind you (straight) then pull back in again with your abs.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #6  
No description available.

What an intriguing set of exercises.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That is hard! Fun but hard. I didn't do 40.

They were hard on my shoulders too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote